Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

trying to jack off posted:

that one hit me hard since i only recently finished the game

I'm curious to what you thought of the game

It's absolutely one of my favorites, like top ten ever, but I played it when I was 13 so I'm not sure if it was nostalgia or if it's really that good so tell me what you thought

I used to have an illusion of Gaia coffee mug I ordered from Nintendo that my parents threw out years ago and apparently goes for $120 on ebay these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

i have played this game more than most people and assessing whether it's "good" or not is hard now. it's WEIRD. the overhead ALTP combat stuff is really good for its time, the bosses are good, but the puzzles, when they're there, are garbage. the red jewels, that open the bonus dungeon, are a chore to find without a walkthrough. the translation is charmingly bad, and the story is loving bizarre in a way that sticks with you.

basically, i think if you liked it when you were a kid, you'll like it now.

Aw I thought the puzzles were good, especially that spot the differences one that gave you a little mouse pointer

The red jewels stuff was ridiculous but that's why the manual showed you all of them

I used to have the German release of the game because it came in a huge earthbound sized box
Germany also had big box versions of super metroid and secret of Mana as well

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

trying to jack off posted:

i liked it. it was strangely unique to play an arpg that was so linear, but it kept the action going and stopped me wandering around trying to work out what to do next like terranigma sometimes did. challenging bosses that require you learn their patterns was also a nice change after playing lots of the other games of the genre lately. i could basically sleep through most of the boss fights of soul blazer and terranigma, there was only one that gave me any sort of challenge in the latter because i was under leveled and i could still cheese it with spells. im glad i got to play it because i never liked rpgs as a kid so i actively avoided it for years it thinking it was like final fantasy. i score it 8/10 on my personal game charts

Awesome. Yeah the bosses were great. They actually changed a boss entirely for the US version and he was way harder and more fun to play. So they made boss fights in the game a big deal

The craziest poo poo is that I can't find anyone who worked on the game having worked on anything before or after. Even the amazing musical composer did absolutely nothing before or after the game wtf

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

is it the vampires? also, have you clicked my depressing illusion of gaia link yet?

Yeah I read that link a long time ago. Truly depressing poo poo

If you played the game a million times, try the US prototype before Nintendo bought the rights to the game.

It was really interesting that Nintendo paid for and took control over a third party game like that. The only other time I can think of them doing that was Xenoblade for the Wii and even that was just a limited release to shut fans up.

The boss that they changed was that flying one in the sky dungeon. They changed his look and made him harder.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread