Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A parallel and maybe opposite of the Goomba Stomp... The Phanto Chase is the part of the game where you get really nervous and psyched/afraid because the tension just got up... Just like the Phantos chasing against you once you grab a key in Super Mario.

I'd first like to nominate Cazadores in Fallout NV. Those are the some of the scariest motherfuckers in the game and will swarm and gently caress a character no matter what level it is most of the time and the fact I am irrationally afraid of bugs and wasps makes fighting those things really stressful for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

this might sound twisted but phantos were one of my favourite parts of smb2, i love the thrill of the chase

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The first time you come across Regeneradors in the lab in RE4...

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Basically everything after killing Rom in Bloodborne, but specifically that part where you have to run from respawning enemies and a laser beam.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Basically everything after killing Rom in Bloodborne, but specifically that part where you have to run from respawning enemies and a laser beam.

I think that one part took me more tries than any other part of the game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
phase 3 of defiled amygdala

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Trying to land 100 Super Jumps in Super Mario RPG

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I don't play a lot of rhythm games but when I do I'll always realize I'm in the zone and on my way to a perfect score and it will psyche me out and I'll lose my concentration. I've dropped a lot of All Criticals in Theatrhythm due to this phenomenon.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
The haunted House in SH3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Whenever I run past enemies in a Souls game, even if they're harmlessly a mile behind me, I get his nervous sensation that they're always one step behind me and if I mess up for a split second on the way back to a boss I'm gonna eat dirt

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

discount cathouse posted:

The haunted House in SH3

This. In Silent Hill 2, the Historical Society and any encounter with Pyramid Head in general.

The first encounter with the Alien (and the rest of the game afterwards) in Alien Isolation. That game is expectant dread pressed onto a BluRay.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 26, 2018

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

For me it's when I'm trying to get a good time in a time trial mode of a game near the end of a good run when I know I can still mess up. Gives me butterflies.

Also any dangerous encounter in a game with permadeath after I have a good character going.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Seeing Mr. Shakedown in a crowd lumbering towards you in Yakuza 0

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

The Phanto Chase is hosed up. I think those masks are some of the creepiest poo poo in videogames. That they're in an otherwise such an innocuous game makes them all the more intense.

Expectant dread and tension build up is really well done in the Silent Hill series. My favorite is probably in the first game, with the locker that turns out to hold a cat. Then you go into that room in the hell dimension and it messes with you based on your experience of the previous encounter. You go back and forth in the room and revisit, and each time they gently caress with your expectations in a new way, so when the final scare comes, you're almost exhausted with the anticipation and it really gets you. That it's such a small room and short encounter makes it all the more powerful.

The chainsaw Frankenstein in the maze in Castlevania 64 was also something that really bothered me. An invincible monster in an disorienting maze. Hearing it approach and realizing you took the wrong turn ftmfw. The Resident Evil 4 chainsaw hombre had some similar vibes, but since the village was more open than the maze it didn't nearly get me as anxious.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Time limits also really get to me, especially long term ones. I couldn't stand playing Pikmin 1 because on day 20 out of 30 or whatever I felt exhausted from the pressure of keeping up and not loving up. Being close to the goal made it all the more nerve-wracking. I doubt I'll ever speedrun a game like Super Metroid for a better ending, which is a shame.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
DROD RPG being a full game length optimization puzzle, where you may have to make a save and then go an hour down a single route and then reload and test another route, and not really be sure which is the right one to take, actually gave me stressful nightmares

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The period after the roller coaster finishes its test run but before stats show up in roller coaster tycoon

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Whenever I run past enemies in a Souls game, even if they're harmlessly a mile behind me, I get his nervous sensation that they're always one step behind me and if I mess up for a split second on the way back to a boss I'm gonna eat dirt

the dogs in bloodborne and DS3 are programmed to teleport on top of you if you're not looking at them and they're still aggro'd on you

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bolverkur posted:

The chainsaw Frankenstein in the maze in Castlevania 64 was also something that really bothered me. An invincible monster in an disorienting maze. Hearing it approach and realizing you took the wrong turn ftmfw. The Resident Evil 4 chainsaw hombre had some similar vibes, but since the village was more open than the maze it didn't nearly get me as anxious.

Was gonna post this one. I think there was no music for that part which just freaked me out more.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In Star Control 2 when you're in hyperspace and a hyperspace blob starts following you

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

when the aliens in space invaders get closer to the bottom

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
the first castle in desert world in mario 3 has a boo that keeps following you even after you go up using a pipe and it always freaked me out when it would pop up right underneath you while your waiting around for thwomps to move

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
i found out on like my 10ths dark souls playthrough that the ask lake hydra can fly over the sandbar and chase you from the other side if you try running from it

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
RE4 when Ashley has to run from the suit of armor. Gah!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
When someone starts ramp rushing you with the double pumps in Fortnite

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

When you hear the heartbeat sound and obtain the Fisher's Intuition buff and mooch your catch during an extremely rare Big Fish availability window in Final Fantasy XIV.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

running back home late at night in Stardew Valley or Harvest Moon, trying to make it to bed before I collapse

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2OPPfSxEVY

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

First encountering any of the aggressive colossi in sotc when you're desperately running or hiding trying to figure out the trick

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

oh gently caress yeah. SA-X is probably the best executed 'shadow' version of the main character in a game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the way The Nightmare gets built up in metroid fusion is great too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

extremebuff posted:

the way The Nightmare gets built up in metroid fusion is great too.
It's fantasic. Fusion has some great moments.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
enemies you cant kill are the worst e.g dead space and dry bones

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

enemies you cant kill are the worst e.g dead space and dry bones

dry bones is actually good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I first played RE3 I didn't know Nemesis encounters were scripted, I thought he could literally appear anywhere so the whole game was one big Phanto Chase

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In Silent Hill 4 the ghost enemies actually can appear anywhere and they damage you by simply being in the same room as you. Definitely the scariest enemies in any Silent Hill game, even if I don't like Silent Hill 4.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

When I first played RE3 I didn't know Nemesis encounters were scripted, I thought he could literally appear anywhere so the whole game was one big Phanto Chase

Came to post this.

Any time in Hollow Knight or similar metroidvania where you bust through a floor or something and land in a totally new area, but your way back is blocked or inaccessible, so you have to march forward into the unknown without a save point or fast travel or anything to tether you to safety

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Anytime this dude gets a smirk

It would be kind of cool if he could delete your save if you lost to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the most horrifying sound in all video games is the Curse Noise from the NES Dragon Quest games, because it's the noise it made when your save file got erased.

• Locked thread