Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

PriNGLeS posted:

Song classes got a lot of love. They're a whole lot less annoying to play now.

If this means I can play without twisting then it might be all I need to get drawn back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

clone on the phone posted:

If this means I can play without twisting then it might be all I need to get drawn back in.

you don't need to twist at all. I believe that each song/chant class allows you to run 4 songs at once. So usually I'll run ( as a Minstrel ) Speed/Ablative/Pet Charm then leave an open "slot" for flute mez.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

That’s amazing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I just watched a video of someone leveling a fresh account from 1 to 50 in about 6 hours /played, followed by a free set of level 50 gear that maxes stats and resists. This is on the main game of course.

It boggles my mind how over a decade and a half of leveling content is just chucked out the window.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Everything is still there, fyi.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Battlegrounds are for sure the fastest way to level up in DAoC, but you really want to do it with a group of friends for safety because nothing matters if you run into a sweaty try hard nerd that wants to exclusively PvP. There are a lot of players in this game that just came PvE quest areas looking for people to kill, so you can have your leveling grind to a halt if this is the case.

pnau
Aug 20, 2006
Anyone playing on the Phoenix beta freeshard ?

Seems promising so far, not quite sure when it goes live tho.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

pnau posted:

Anyone playing on the Phoenix beta freeshard ?

Seems promising so far, not quite sure when it goes live tho.

I checked it out and leveled a shaman to 28 in a heavy evening. It's very promising. I'll definitely be playing it when it goes live. Supposed to go live shortly after encounter scripting is finished. AFAIK TG/SH are completed(?)

pnau
Aug 20, 2006

PriNGLeS posted:

I checked it out and leveled a shaman to 28 in a heavy evening. It's very promising. I'll definitely be playing it when it goes live. Supposed to go live shortly after encounter scripting is finished. AFAIK TG/SH are completed(?)

Yeh im pretty sure I read somewhere on their forums that they will do i50 and insta RR? to test RvR and RA's, then i guess it will go live. Outside of the usual class/skill balance issues the server on the whole seems to be running very smoothly at this point.

It's getting hard to invest too much more time into anything before it goes live.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey uh I got bored and decided to randomly check out this MMO that I played for like a month when it first came out and quit at like level 15 without stepping foot into a PvP area and figured I'd play the 14 day trial and that's it.

4 weeks later and after dicking around with several characters, I'm now a 50 Ranger with no idea what I'm doing and probably not good enough situational awareness to even be playing a Ranger in RvR but I'm really enjoying the poo poo out of the game regardless.

Is there anyone playing on live? I'm on Ywain 4 if it matters, name in game is Frostypox.

Also do people ever do the PvE stuff in the game? The RVR is fun but I stumbled into a few cool-looking dungeons in those freaky Shrouded Isles zones and they look like they'd be interesting to run through

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Ywain servers are all connected, so all that matters is the realm you choose. The PvE content is actually fun! and can be pretty challenging, but very few people do it other than to grind for materials for crafting. The September 2018 update is adding new crafting recipes for high end gear but they are obtained through RvR, along with the materials. When you hit level 50, be sure to hit up your realms king for pretty good armor that typically looks badass.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Will do!

I don't know what my first alt will be, I rolled a character of every class and took them to 10 (which is why it took me three weeks to get to 50, lol) hoping to narrow it down but it didn't make things any easier. I really like the class design and combat in this game, a lot.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah wow this gear the King gave me is super-good, I'm actually able to kill red and purple mobs really easily if I have enough time to plink at them with my bow.

E: Unless that Purple mob is the giant alien spider monster raid boss at the Meteor Impact! :catstare: I figured there was something special there!

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 4, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like melee classes the best in DAoC. I'm finding magic and ranged weapons to be frustrating because they can be interrupted so easily.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, if my memory serves me correctly this was one of the first MMOs that made melee combat more involved than "Press A, eat a sandwich". At least, that's how I remember playing a low-level warrior in EQ. I think the class I played the most back in the day ("most" being a relative term) was a Blademaster and it was awesome.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So for a change of pace I'm leveling a Healer and I'm surprised at how good the class is at killing poo poo when it's Augmentation spec'ed. Like, drat. I figured this would be hard to solo!

It also seems that Mids are.... a lot more salty than Hibs. Most Hibs I've interacted with have been super-nice and region chat is pretty chill. Mids.... well, the ones I've interacted with are also nice but region chat gets pretty belligerent.

Also what are you supposed to do in Atlantis zones? They look really cool but I couldn't find any quest givers or anything. It mentions glass and stuff and you get it from killing mobs I guess, but other than that I'm stumped. I went to Typhon's Reach but everything was purple to me at 37.

E: I know Atlantis is home to the super-controversial PvE content that people were not too thrilled about when it was released, but it looks like there's more to do there than just raids or whatever

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well got into my first big RvR party on my late 40s Healer. :psyduck:

Figures it'd be on the class that is
A.)A magnet for all the damage dealers
B.)A role I'm generally not comfortable playing in any MMO, let alone a PvP focused one.
C.)I've been told one of the hardest classes to play in the game in general.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that when a party member's name turns blue with those exclamation points it means they're Mez'ed and I should use my Mez cure :smithicide:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's okay if it takes you awhile! There is a lot about DAoC that is not intuitive and really nothing the Broadsword devs can do about it because of the age of the game.

Pyro88
Jun 8, 2013
There’s a lot of missing and misinformation in this thread so I want to help clear things up about live servers.

Ywain 1-10 is a single server. 1-10 are separated solely for the purposes of housing. It otherwise does not matter where you create your characters. A Ywain 1 character can only buy a house on ywain 1, but can travel to any of the “other ywains” houses and purchase items from another player.

Realm locks are gone. It does not matter which server you pick, you’ll be able to create classes on all 3 realms. Or you can spread them out through all of the ywains, see above.

Kings gear does “maximize” your stats and resists but you are still worthless in it (for RVR) except for zerging. There are items that take you above the natural cap for hit points, stat points, etc. The main exception here is resists but there are a few items that go above cap on resists.

You absolutely need a good template to compete in the modern RVR outside of a Zerg environment (ie: soloing, small groups, and 8v8/8vX).

Templates are stupid expensive (old players have too much platinum), however there are budget builds out there that can get you competitive. Daocutils.com is a pretty good resource. Postcount.net is okay at best nowadays. For a new or returning player I highly suggest finding an active guild and making friends with people that can help you.

RVR is pretty much THE end game. Some people run the pve raids and dungeons only but they’re really a means to an end, which is templating for RVR.

The pvp is pretty tough to get accustomed to because as before mentioned the UI is garbage, and hot key customization is annoying at best. I recommend getting one of the few custom UIs out there.

Other than that I’m happy to answer any questions here, or in game on Midgard. My main characters name is Soflatos.

P.S. Gaheris (pve only server) has basically gently caress all for population but if that’s more your speed go for it. I’m sure the people there would be happy to see some new faces.

Pyro88
Jun 8, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

Well got into my first big RvR party on my late 40s Healer. :psyduck:

Figures it'd be on the class that is
A.)A magnet for all the damage dealers
B.)A role I'm generally not comfortable playing in any MMO, let alone a PvP focused one.
C.)I've been told one of the hardest classes to play in the game in general.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that when a party member's name turns blue with those exclamation points it means they're Mez'ed and I should use my Mez cure :smithicide:

Healers are definitely harder than most, but awesome when you can turn a poo poo situation to a good one. For a newer player or someone who needs to knock off the rust I’d recommend playing aug/mend at 50 as it will be less stressful. If you wanna try pac/mend or tri-spec I encourage that too though. You’re only going to get better at the hard stuff with practice! Look me up on Soflatos, I play healer and would love to help you out with questions.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Pyro88 posted:

Realm locks are gone. It does not matter which server you pick, you’ll be able to create classes on all 3 realms. Or you can spread them out through all of the ywains, see above.

(also a lot of other interesting and informative stuff)

Yeah, I noticed that. I, uh, got a little crazy and actually rolled one of every class. EVERY class. Just to mess around til about ~10 on each. It's tough to choose what I actually want to make my main since all of these classes are pretty interesting. Right now I can safely say probably not Bainshee cuz trying to solo seems nightmarish since almost every spell is AoE and pulling a huge number of mobs is extremely painful, and probably not Animist because the ground targeting is kind of annoying.

I did, however, hit 50 with Ranger, Healer, and Cabalist. The latter was surprisingly simple; with 50 points in Body, it seems like the best move is summon Ruby Simulacrum, spam lifedrain until the thing dies. It was pretty effective. The "tanking" simulacrum seemed borderline worthless (at least in PvE) because it can't hold aggro and does gently caress-all damage. Maybe if I was Spirit spec the pets would be better? :shrug:

EDIT: Normally I play ranged DPS in MMOs but I find I think I prefer the melee classes in this game (including Aug Healer, lol). Something about hitting things with hammers/swords/mattocks in this game is extremely satisfying, whereas the optimum thing to do as a caster in solo PvE seems to be spamming the same spell over and over. I'm sure it's a whole different ballgame in serious RVR and raids.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 15, 2018

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah, I noticed that. I, uh, got a little crazy and actually rolled one of every class. EVERY class. Just to mess around til about ~10 on each. It's tough to choose what I actually want to make my main since all of these classes are pretty interesting. Right now I can safely say probably not Bainshee cuz trying to solo seems nightmarish since almost every spell is AoE and pulling a huge number of mobs is extremely painful, and probably not Animist because the ground targeting is kind of annoying.

I did, however, hit 50 with Ranger, Healer, and Cabalist. The latter was surprisingly simple; with 50 points in Body, it seems like the best move is summon Ruby Simulacrum, spam lifedrain until the thing dies. It was pretty effective. The "tanking" simulacrum seemed borderline worthless (at least in PvE) because it can't hold aggro and does gently caress-all damage. Maybe if I was Spirit spec the pets would be better? :shrug:

EDIT: Normally I play ranged DPS in MMOs but I find I think I prefer the melee classes in this game (including Aug Healer, lol). Something about hitting things with hammers/swords/mattocks in this game is extremely satisfying, whereas the optimum thing to do as a caster in solo PvE seems to be spamming the same spell over and over. I'm sure it's a whole different ballgame in serious RVR and raids.

The cabalist is a great pvp caster on alb with its ability to debuff. As well as nearsight and disease. It’s my favorite alb caster by far but I really like utility/hybrid characters.

Twlight fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 17, 2018

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

OK so after getting a 4th class to 50 (Paladin) I've decided speed-levelling is a bad idea and I'm just gonna pick another class and try to really understand it in RvR and learn about the other stuff in this game (Atlantis is very cool-looking but really overwhelming). Probably a better idea than having like 10 level 50s I don't know how to play :downs:

So maybe I'll look up Soflatos this go around, or maybe play a Hib since when I was dicking around on a low-level Hero I got an offer for help from someone. At this point I'm fairly confident I'd want to main a melee class of some form, or a healer, which is totally bizarro world for me since in all other games I tend to main magic DPS or Archers.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

OK so after getting a 4th class to 50 (Paladin) I've decided speed-levelling is a bad idea and I'm just gonna pick another class and try to really understand it in RvR and learn about the other stuff in this game (Atlantis is very cool-looking but really overwhelming). Probably a better idea than having like 10 level 50s I don't know how to play :downs:

So maybe I'll look up Soflatos this go around, or maybe play a Hib since when I was dicking around on a low-level Hero I got an offer for help from someone. At this point I'm fairly confident I'd want to main a melee class of some form, or a healer, which is totally bizarro world for me since in all other games I tend to main magic DPS or Archers.

You won't figure it out by taking your time either. You just have to read things and play a lot. That is the only way. I don't think anyone does Atlantis stuff anymore. It was wicked cool in its day for what it was, but not for what it did to the game.

Healers in RvR are super stressful and will single handedly make or break a group.

People in this game are passive aggressive. If you suck they'll just make an excuse to leave the group and form a new one without you. I don't want to discourage you from playing a healer as they're always in demand, but you may be sabotaging your enjoying a truly amazing game. Until you know all the realms classes and capabilities it might suck a lot.

But really do what you said: Pick one and stick with it. Also like all MMOs, friends are what make it truly enjoyable.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I last played this game on the Classic No-TOA server reboot they did back in 2004/2005? I think. It was fun to be able to RVR without having an eternity of bullshit raid content to do, and more specifically since we were playing Midgard an eternity of bullshit to do WITHOUT any spellcasters that artificially simulate having high #s of attackers to lower raidboss defense.

I hit RR7 or so in a month, and already it was getting hard to find groups. A buddy of mine asked me if I wanted to play World of Warcraft instead and welp, there it is.

I enjoyed playing a 2h Hammer Savage and just going for as many 1k+ hits as possible.

Whenever I consider playing the game again out of nostalgia I remember:

required buffbotting
game is not balanced or designed around soloing or small groups

I bet that for buffbotted hybrids, stealthers, archers it's still a reasonable experience. Skirmishes and random 1v1, 1v2 situations. I recently saw an uploaded video of a guy's encounters, and it was 15 minutes of a solo wizard riding around and MOC-ing down whatever person he found, then retreating until his cds were back up. Yawn.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
you can get the buff tokens now and dont really need a bot. where they are required however are on pet classes.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Left axe nerf :argh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

Where are you going to level up classes so quickly? Is there a PvE route comparable to RvR?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I'm sure the battleground quests are still the fastest route. And the PvE town quests only go until level 40.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I've basically been grinding my face off in the Battlegrounds, more or less. At some point I'll probably try to level a character via quests, dungeons, etc to see how it goes.

I'd say 90% of my RvR (as in, fighting actual players) experience has come from getting jumped and murdered, with maybe half a dozen kills from either seeing them before they get me, or me somehow winning despite them starting the engagement, with little understanding what I did right or they did wrong (with the exception of the Hunter who let my Paladin get to close to him, the reasons for the outcome were pretty obvious imo)

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 29, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That's the most frustrating thing about RvR experience grinding is just getting interrupted and jumped by other players.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Phoenix DAoC free shard is starting instant 50 on October 20th. Release is pretty freaking close I would imagine.

https://playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2373&sid=1a06249368a6d89edffaf2b9712f8887

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

PriNGLeS posted:

Phoenix DAoC free shard is starting instant 50 on October 20th. Release is pretty freaking close I would imagine.

https://playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2373&sid=1a06249368a6d89edffaf2b9712f8887

What patch level is this?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

clone on the phone posted:

What patch level is this?

Not entirely sure. 1.65 I think (the one with alb casters stomping poo poo). Has QoL changes from modern daoc, like porters and stuff. Also hybrids can get det, stuff like that.

Release is Jan 12.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

1.65 yes, with a lot of the bullshit cut out.
Leveling is two to three times faster, grouping is very much encouraged,.
NF RAs, hybrids can get Det, you can have dedicated BG chars.
Heals got changed to the new versions (no more spamming spread), cure nearsight added.
Bunch of crafting automatisation and other QoL changes too.

If this gets even half the players Uthgard 2 had at launch, it's gonig to be a lot of fun.

https://forum.playphoenix.online/

edit for teleporters!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wanna play Phoenix. I hope this is good since the free to play option on the live server isn't going to be good.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Stress test is over in 30 minutes.
Server was very stable, didn't encounter any bugs either.
Xping is a lot faster and more comfortable.
We tried a keeptake: [

Results were mixed:

Launch is saturday morning!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Definitely gonna give that new server a try. Uthgard was okay but it was too faithful to the source. The modern QoL stuff is going to be very welcome. Having level 50 focus on all caster staves from level one will be amazing.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
It's gonna be cool and good.

I'm rolling Mid. Probably a shaman and later on a zerk or warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
My biggest issue with daoc was that eldritches got a stun and wizards got a flimsy root. That used to frustrate me. Man this game ate up so much of my childhood. I never even was good or hit level 50 but I loved playing it. I played with what I believe was a British guild on Tristan by the name of Firewind. I think I played from the beginning of the game. That was the golden age of MMO games.