Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Coming off EQ and AC, I felt like DAoC was much easier to grind. But yeah nothing beats the easy grind of most post-WoW MMOs.

Here's a picture I took of Albion's derpy dragon back in 2003:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
My brother played DAoC at the same time I did and he reminded me of something he felt MMOs don't seem to get anymore. He used to play a mercenary on galahad and at some point he gained something like real fame. He would actually lead keep assaults and relic raids at a time where maybe two guys had an iron grip because everyone else sucked (one of those leaders was an 11th dimensional chess douche who would do dumb poo poo like steal a relic and just move it around instead of taking it back to albion). He also did a lot of soloing in RvR, which is unusual for someone not playing a stealth class, but ended up kicking so much stealther rear end he could walk emain alone without being touched by a stealther.

These days, the only notoriety you really get is maybe world firsts and some sort of revenge trolling to post on youtube. He has played a number of other MMOs and never stood out as he did in DAoC. At best he was respected for being competent in whatever raid guild he was in.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I just watched a video of someone leveling a fresh account from 1 to 50 in about 6 hours /played, followed by a free set of level 50 gear that maxes stats and resists. This is on the main game of course.

It boggles my mind how over a decade and a half of leveling content is just chucked out the window.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

vandalism posted:

My biggest issue with daoc was that eldritches got a stun and wizards got a flimsy root. That used to frustrate me.

I used to get angry about the Armsmen's crossbow skill being neglected. I mean yeah they're supposed to be tanks but you could still sink all your points into it like any other skill. Considering how important ranged combat was in rvr it seemed like a glaring design mistake. Of course there were plenty of design mistakes to choose from, that one ended up being my white whale because I invested so much time in that class.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think of all the restrictions, not being able to own a house is the worst.

Houses are awesome.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
My nostalgia oblongata has been activated. I'm Doubel on Alb Phoenix, but chances are I'm gonna go full altitis rather than get to 50.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

:thunk:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I got denied a group the other day because the previous group I was in was lead by a guy who upset the leader of the second group over how he should've built his cleric. I don't even know these people and I got blacklisted by association.

Old school MMOs never fail to break out the worst pettiness in people. I'm just glad this server lets you squeeze out half a level alone.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Broadsword hosed over Phoenix partially by forcing them to take a new build of the world. Some areas don't look like classic DAoC anymore. I don't know why the server doesn't host its own poo poo that's kind of weird.

In addition, found out Albion has a significant presence of maga chuds. Political derails are happening more often and the mods have only handed out warnings.

Also I lied, I got my armsman to 50 and a cabby is not far behind.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I suspect only a handful of goons are playing and we're spread thin.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
their ftp restrictions are still stupid tho

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Without the original zone layouts (mostly the starting towns and frontiers), the nostalgia just isn't there for me. I got enough of that while it lasted on Phoenix, I can wait another 15 years.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Not really surprised, I lost interest after they were forced to use new frontiers.

This new server seems more amendable to cross faction stuff, which is exactly what I need to get interested in playing mid or hib.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The developers can't decide if they want old or new frontiers for the live classic server. For me it's old frontiers or bust, but even then I'm not stupid enough to want an exact replica of pre-ToA. I prefer how Phoenix used to have it with extra xp from bounties and daily mob bonuses, and I also like being able to switch sides as long as I haven't engaged in rvr for a while.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Phoix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbQx_opeC60

Eden promo that is higher quality than any promo Mythic ever put out

Using modern video filters on a 20 year old game feels wrong somehow.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There are only two scenarios with AI units that would make this game 1000% more playable: AI minstrels waiting to taxi at spawn every couple minutes to the nearest fort battle, and AI stealthers running counter-interference between spawn and milegate.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
No surprise there. Good on the devs for trying but there's always guild/raid leaders looking to game the system in their favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not sure UE5 is going to reignite the game but at least it'll look nice.

Also not sure how broad their scope is in messing with the core game. It's really easy to fall down that slippery slope from remaster to doing their own thing, like the Skyblivion project.