Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

bongsnake posted:

Hi again been a while, ive got mids hibs albs (mostly albs) on phoenix. I will recheck this thread occasionally but my mates and I have been playing for months now. If anyones down for some small man / duos I am always keen to roll around.

Just read the minstrel things, remember the days when you had to push buttons to play a class at a high level. Phoenix is just that, if you want to play a minstrel WELL at a HIGH level just push buttons and its still the same. Live has spoiled people with their buffs and nerfs to individual skill over the years and while it may take some adjusting pushing 5 more buttons than the 2 you are used to it is incredibly fun to get GOOD at playing a class at that level again.

The server is excellent and what I feel like is how daoc would be if the devs in charge gave a poo poo about the game for the last decade.

See you in NF :toot:

edit: pringles man hit me up if you ever want to duo, i still poopsock like the days we played together my dood

Yeah it's gotta be real hard hitting one button to instantly break any CC on you or your pet.

I kid... mostly. I play Throckmoton (Skald) and Rhianu (Healer) on Mid. No other realms yet because Midgard's been the underdog since I got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

knox posted:

Might start leveling a Midgard character soon, haven't played DAOC in forever and I never really played it at high levels. I'd have to read up a lot about game since I don't remember much. But been interested in Phoenix server for awhile and want to level a class or two up. How long does it take to level 1-max level & gear up to compete in ORvR?

When I was playing it was probably 16-24ish hours from 1-50? Gearing is tougher to call because it depends heavily on the class. Most casters you'll be able to gear shortly after you hit 50, melee will take a bit longer, hybrids will require dozens of hours of farming.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Thane and Skald are suuuuper expensive to gear up. Shaman and RM are easier. Shaman is a pretty good starting class because every group needs one, so you'll easily get into leveling, farming, and RvR groups.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

knox posted:

I was able to teleport with Runemaster, but Savage/Shaman there's no teleport/only trainers. Where can I run to from this Vale of w/e zone to get to Proving Grounds?

If you're in the Vale of Mularn I think the city of Mularn has a teleporter.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

knox posted:

PvP event was fun as hell, seen literally everyone say how much fun it was/lot of people re-downloaded or starting playing again like myself. They should do something like that one weekend a month or something. Wish I had another day to grind out characters on I was busy Friday/a little bit of Sunday, now I'm clueless what to do to keep grinding. I got 30 Shaman as highest right now and scattered other lvl15's Eldritch/Savage/Healer.

The LFG channel will get you there. Groups always need Shamans so hopefully you'll find one that knows what it's doing and has damage output.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That's rad. Aside from solo and small-group PvP on my Skald at 50 the most fun I had playing on Phoenix was in Thidranki, but none of the other early BGs are active so once you level outta that all you can do is PvE to 50.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I went HAM on Phoenix for a few months maining Skald and Minstrels ended up being my favorite class to 1v1. Super dynamic fights where a lot of it just depended on keeping them off balance with CC on their pet.

I got to the point where I won more than I lost but a really good one still felt unbeatable. So many of them would prowl around leveling areas.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Oh poo poo they changed the “bug” where you could release and re-charm the pet to clear CC, didn’t they? That used to be the big fucker for Skald, so I would use snare on the pet and then kite and hope they chased and lost track of the pet. Or just mez the pet and get a bunch of damage in while they were re-charming it. But against fast and aware players none of that accomplished much.

With the faerie casters I’d usually CC the Minstrel and then kill the pet, since they were pretty squishy.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

OF vs NF

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

do not commit too hard to any of the A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS servers yet. atlas is slow to launch and the other one ("era") did one press release with extreme "we're gonna have daoc, but classic, but also with blackjack and hookers" energy. it reads like homer simpson designing the homercar.

drat you aren't wrong about Era lmao

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Tanreall posted:

Why did Phoenix shutdown?

Dwindling playerbase. There's a post about it on their forums but they seem resigned to the fact that private servers have a natural boom-bust cycle that they benefitted from but are now suffering from. Many private servers use seasons to manage this but that doesn't really make sense for Phoenix -- a server that is both built on being fixed to one period of the game, and one where absolutely no one cares about anything besides the endgame PvP.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I mean... certainly it's a failing trash fire but I don't think the devs have a responsibility to open themselves up to vitriol in their own Discord because their free volunteer project is failing.

They know the servers are hosed, they don't need 1000 people telling them why it's a moral failing that their servers are hosed and they should kill themselves for it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I feel like they definitely have a dev who's super into AI and just started working on this with no plan as to how it would be used, and then when it worked they were like "ummm I guess RvR balance???"

it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

This looks sick but I think if you want to surge DAOC's playerbase you need to improve the UI and how it surfaces information more than visuals.