Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I got a hero to 49 on uthgard and remembered why I had such a hard time on that server before. Making money. Good lord is it a grind. And the chinese farmers/euro farmers charge an arm and a leg for plat on uthgard. And those fuckers will probably ban you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Yet no one has ever attempted to emulate or replicate daoc pvp systems. Blows my loving mind.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

My brother played DAoC at the same time I did and he reminded me of something he felt MMOs don't seem to get anymore. He used to play a mercenary on galahad and at some point he gained something like real fame. He would actually lead keep assaults and relic raids at a time where maybe two guys had an iron grip because everyone else sucked (one of those leaders was an 11th dimensional chess douche who would do dumb poo poo like steal a relic and just move it around instead of taking it back to albion). He also did a lot of soloing in RvR, which is unusual for someone not playing a stealth class, but ended up kicking so much stealther rear end he could walk emain alone without being touched by a stealther.

These days, the only notoriety you really get is maybe world firsts and some sort of revenge trolling to post on youtube. He has played a number of other MMOs and never stood out as he did in DAoC. At best he was respected for being competent in whatever raid guild he was in.

It's the size of the servers these days. If I remember right, the biggest servers like Guinevere would have 5-6k online at peak times during the height of daoc. It was also just a different era in pc gaming. Things were more close knit and social. You had to make things to do. Not go fetch the million different premade things like achievements.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Song classes got a lot of love. They're a whole lot less annoying to play now.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Everything is still there, fyi.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

pnau posted:

Anyone playing on the Phoenix beta freeshard ?

Seems promising so far, not quite sure when it goes live tho.

I checked it out and leveled a shaman to 28 in a heavy evening. It's very promising. I'll definitely be playing it when it goes live. Supposed to go live shortly after encounter scripting is finished. AFAIK TG/SH are completed(?)

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

OK so after getting a 4th class to 50 (Paladin) I've decided speed-levelling is a bad idea and I'm just gonna pick another class and try to really understand it in RvR and learn about the other stuff in this game (Atlantis is very cool-looking but really overwhelming). Probably a better idea than having like 10 level 50s I don't know how to play :downs:

So maybe I'll look up Soflatos this go around, or maybe play a Hib since when I was dicking around on a low-level Hero I got an offer for help from someone. At this point I'm fairly confident I'd want to main a melee class of some form, or a healer, which is totally bizarro world for me since in all other games I tend to main magic DPS or Archers.

You won't figure it out by taking your time either. You just have to read things and play a lot. That is the only way. I don't think anyone does Atlantis stuff anymore. It was wicked cool in its day for what it was, but not for what it did to the game.

Healers in RvR are super stressful and will single handedly make or break a group.

People in this game are passive aggressive. If you suck they'll just make an excuse to leave the group and form a new one without you. I don't want to discourage you from playing a healer as they're always in demand, but you may be sabotaging your enjoying a truly amazing game. Until you know all the realms classes and capabilities it might suck a lot.

But really do what you said: Pick one and stick with it. Also like all MMOs, friends are what make it truly enjoyable.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I'm sure the battleground quests are still the fastest route. And the PvE town quests only go until level 40.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Phoenix DAoC free shard is starting instant 50 on October 20th. Release is pretty freaking close I would imagine.

https://playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2373&sid=1a06249368a6d89edffaf2b9712f8887

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

clone on the phone posted:

What patch level is this?

Not entirely sure. 1.65 I think (the one with alb casters stomping poo poo). Has QoL changes from modern daoc, like porters and stuff. Also hybrids can get det, stuff like that.

Release is Jan 12.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
It's gonna be cool and good.

I'm rolling Mid. Probably a shaman and later on a zerk or warrior.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I never played DAoC until last year, but I always wanted to play it when it was brand new and I was in high school. I just wish I could play it today without getting loving ganked in the PvP zones. Just let me level up in peace. :mad:

Darkness Falls is bad about that.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

I used to get angry about the Armsmen's crossbow skill being neglected. I mean yeah they're supposed to be tanks but you could still sink all your points into it like any other skill. Considering how important ranged combat was in rvr it seemed like a glaring design mistake. Of course there were plenty of design mistakes to choose from, that one ended up being my white whale because I invested so much time in that class.

That's.... yeah.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I can't decide between enchanter or skald.

Skald. Nousername (I think that's his sa name) and I are rolling mid.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
2500 on at server up.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Troll posted:

Based on my limited experience now in PvE groups:

Healer is Cleric/Enchanter
Shaman is Shaman/Druid

* There are some weird overlaps in class skills vs talent skills. E.g. if you go the mending route on Healer, you get several single target heals that are all only subtly distinct. In some cases one will be way better in every way except a slightly longer cast time, etc.

** Saw a goon squad guild running around but they didn't respond to me

Theyre not goons

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Troll posted:

Based on my limited experience now in PvE groups:

Healer is Cleric/Enchanter
Shaman is Shaman/Druid

* There are some weird overlaps in class skills vs talent skills. E.g. if you go the mending route on Healer, you get several single target heals that are all only subtly distinct. In some cases one will be way better in every way except a slightly longer cast time, etc.

** Saw a goon squad guild running around but they didn't respond to me

Baseline vs spec

Baseline spells are always wildly less efficient than spec. Spec also plays into variance in healing on base lines. Spec heals always heal for a set amount.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

App13 posted:

I'm still on midgard with my shaman, but I'm thinking of rerolling on hib if folks will be playing there.

I'll let you in on a secret with goons and daoc, no one sticks around. Play where you want to be.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Last I checked Phoenix was still pulling over double the population of the live servers during peak times (1-3 pm CST on Saturday/Sunday) 500-600 vs 1200-1400, not accounting for buffbots and multiboxers - of which phoenix has none, and about 75% more during NA prime time. 200-250 vs 320-500.

I certainly fear for the future of Live, and even Phoenix has been steadily dwindling since the initial rush died off.

It really doesn't seem that Endless Conquest has brought in any appreciable numbers and I would be very surprised if any it did bring in were new players.

It's a bummer.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

live is back up to half the population of phoenix and i'm having a good time. i have like 500 billion plat and all these ml10 cl15 rr6's over here. I might roll something on phx to check it out but honestly i'm not playing too many games right now across the board. also i enjoy running a buffbot bc i run so many pet classes heh

Phoenix just has buff potions that are easily craftable. But not pet buffing.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

bongsnake posted:

Hi again been a while, ive got mids hibs albs (mostly albs) on phoenix. I will recheck this thread occasionally but my mates and I have been playing for months now. If anyones down for some small man / duos I am always keen to roll around.

Just read the minstrel things, remember the days when you had to push buttons to play a class at a high level. Phoenix is just that, if you want to play a minstrel WELL at a HIGH level just push buttons and its still the same. Live has spoiled people with their buffs and nerfs to individual skill over the years and while it may take some adjusting pushing 5 more buttons than the 2 you are used to it is incredibly fun to get GOOD at playing a class at that level again.

The server is excellent and what I feel like is how daoc would be if the devs in charge gave a poo poo about the game for the last decade.

See you in NF :toot:

edit: pringles man hit me up if you ever want to duo, i still poopsock like the days we played together my dood

Who were you on genesis/origins/uthgard or wherever? My memory is dog poo poo.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Arawn posted:

Woa, people still play this? We have a presence in this game? I've been itching to come back but haven't managed to get a hold of my old retail accounts.

Depending on how long it's been, it's likely that everything on your accounts is completely worthless.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Lots of people level shamans because they're the best money farmers on mid, but they're almost always needed in RvR for the same reason.

Don't play healer until you know how to rvr good (even aug). I'd say the same with shaman, to be honest. You're a priority target for the enemy, and you have the most impact on the direction of a fight.

You're better off getting back into the game on a melee dps, and less so on a caster other than Mind sorc.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Oh man. I wanna do a zerk or savage, and a hero or bm. I always like Hib but the end game scene for hib is always weird and underdeveloped.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
So I think nousername and I are actually going to really play phoenix this time. Maybe.

What's the run down of where/what everyone is still playing?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
They've done these arena events several times before.

My nasty 5 man would be: Shaman, healer, minst, bm or merc with slam, then another dps, probably a zerk for on demand burst. You'd really have to have a crazy good player as the healer and shaman for it to be effective.

Disease in small man situations is insanely powerful.

PriNGLeS fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 19, 2021

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

quote:

Tuesday, February 2nd at 6pm CET.
It will end on Friday, February 5th at 6pm CET.

If any issues occur because of the new patch, we still would have enough time to fix them properly before the start of the Playing Field.

As many of you have probably already noticed, you can now contribute for an extension of the event. As the amount is the same as to start the event, we decided to change the length of a possible extension from 2 days to 3 days. If the extension goal doesnt get hit, the contribution will count towards the next event in about 3 weeks.

The event will this time take place on a new map which is Lamfhota's Sound.

Anyone gonna roll something for the event? Starts tomorrow at 11 a.m. CST and runs until Friday with the possibility for an extension (not likely since its the same amount of materials to start the event).

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah think im gonna do a reaver actually. wanna stay in alb and figure it'll be a good rupt/annoyer. not expecting tons of dps so actually considering sr/shield/slash, had fun with that in live back in the day.

The side style in flex dumpsters people at low level.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
On the topic of bizarre hib elitism, it's always been that way. It's super loving weird. The RvR groups are worse. Probably has something to do with every single one of your classes being worse than the other realms' counterparts. (Except bard of course)

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
atlas looks like phoenix minus all the custom pve content. Even the launcher is the phoenix launcher?

Don't get me wrong, I think daoc servers need to be wiped every 6 months, but what's different?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
It's because DAoC is dead as gently caress, the playerbase is extremely small, and it's the same people that have been playing the same private servers for 10 years. They get burnt out and leave, come back, leave.

DAoC cannot retain new players. It's far too old and janky. Every soul over the years that I've convinced to give it a whirl cannot get past the movement and general stiffness of everything.

Seasonal server would own, though. And frankly these servers just need to allow 2 boxing. Whether it's farming charge items, or alchemy, it's all the loving same.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

my take is that it was run by some really power tripping admins that got Bored just running a nice, clean server where people could play some reasonably old school daoc. they started loving with things - first the fake artifacts, which was a huge bust, then they announced their stupid pve revamp idea that everybody hated, and then gruenes leaked that they were looking at doing a wipe/reset for a 'seasons' server. people got sick of it and got salty, and the admins did not know how to deal with criticism so they took their ball and went home.

---

Anyways, a couple of us are pondering checking out live for a month, actually. I have a very hooked up main account and a competent bot account (including a dedicated molvik bot) and dont care about chuckin $30 for a month of experimentation at them (just don't even try playing on a free account. its slow and sad) to see how NA primetime rvr is. Just be prepared to hit all the loving buttons for your MLs and CLs and whatnot. I'll PL some scrubs if you need a hand, my cabby is untouchable at the pygmies

Uthgard went down the same road, admins there were some grade A dipshits.

Please update your Live trip report. I've got a few decked out chars on live. I don't think there's any new items or anything that would make my templates irrelevant.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

FreeWifi!! posted:

I have to agree with the janky movement.

All the times i tried to play this game, i can't get over how terrible the movement is. Even UO had better movement.

The PvP mechanics are solid in this game (to me at least) but when i move my character, i'd like him to move.

Might as well replace your character with a plank of wood that takes 2 minutes to walk 2 feet.

I understand the games very old, and im not sure how hard or cost effective remaking the character movement/W S A D would be.

But it would be great if they did.

It's not an age thing, this game came out at the same time as Anarchy Online which has movement that is just fine and dandy. Same with Everquest 1 and Asheron's Call which predate it by a couple of years. It had to be a design decision at the time, with the positional melee and hard interrupts in casting it kind of makes sense but it still feels bad. You literally have to only play daoc for a couple of weeks to get used to it, and as soon as you play anything else it feels bad again.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
What's the population like on brotherland?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
So it's just an instant 50 server with free gear? There's been a million of these over the years, the population won't hang around for more than a month.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

there'll be a wipe before launch, it's a from-1 server.

I get the skepticism but basically all the good admins from phoenix (which lated like two years) came over and linked up with a few other people, they are good developers, its better'n live at least. and definitely better than atlas's "we have one developer, theyre 15, and they keep promising daoc but with blackjack and hookers"

The real challenge will be if they allow some poopsockers to hit rr10 and terrorize everybody else too quickly. thats what kills this poo poo for me. i'd go back to live if there was population and also didnt just get farmed by herorius all night

That happens on every single server every single time. It's what ruins every server and why they all boil down to the same 40 people having inbred fights for 2 years before the servers finally shut down or are so dead you can't do anything.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Not looking forward to fighting toa casters/alb groups in this ruleset.

Probably do Hib or Mid.

Hibernia
Albion
Midgard

What's going on with that balance?

Oh yeah. Vampiirs and Bainshees. Forgot those existed.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Uthgard ran for like 12 years? And then a few more with 2.0. Blue is a shithead, but he really wasn't worse than any other daoc emu "dev".

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

ggschmitty posted:

I hadn't been paying much attention to the daoc sphere but stumbled across eden by chance and having a good time, roped two of my wow friends who had never played into tagging along to capture that "what the gently caress am I doing again" new mmo feeling and had some actual fun rvr in hills of claret. escaping at 2 mph across a 4 inch deep lake while a full 8 man group ominously wades towards you has never been more exciting

I don't know if anyone is still actively playing here involved in the cult of nyalarthotep days/alb stealth group or whatnot, but im vibing on all 3 realms getting used to the game again. was schepps (druid)/hors d'oeuvres (minst)/that one hunter i cant remember the name of who always grouped with lash?? back when. not sure how long the shine will last for for 2/3rds of my three man since they don't have the years of nostalgia hooking into their brain like me, so if there's a home for a chronic support player I'm all for it.

If you could get Lash to play again I'd be all over this poo poo show again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Yeah I'm on there, hardly ever open Discord anymore.

Noticed Eden removed actual numbers on their "stats" page now. Take from that what you will.