Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Might start leveling a Midgard character soon, haven't played DAOC in forever and I never really played it at high levels. I'd have to read up a lot about game since I don't remember much. But been interested in Phoenix server for awhile and want to level a class or two up. How long does it take to level 1-max level & gear up to compete in ORvR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Thane/Skald/Shaman/Runemaster all cool wit me, from what I can remember. I spent the most time playing Hibernia, either Mentalist or another caster.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I played a kobold Shaman before so I'd be down to level one, Runemaster too. Skald is like bard right?
Also would like to play something that isn't like the most vitally important in 8v8, while starting out.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

https://forum.playphoenix.online/server/announcements/27593-the-return-of-the-level-playing-field

Sick, going to make troll Savage/Lurikeen Eldritch/Kobold Runemaster.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I was able to teleport with Runemaster, but Savage/Shaman there's no teleport/only trainers. Where can I run to from this Vale of w/e zone to get to Proving Grounds?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I just deleted mfer and remade it, teleporter was right outside other spawn place.

Gonna keep grinding Shaman/Savage/maybe Eldritch or Bard on Hib.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

PvP event was fun as hell, seen literally everyone say how much fun it was/lot of people re-downloaded or starting playing again like myself. They should do something like that one weekend a month or something. Wish I had another day to grind out characters on I was busy Friday/a little bit of Sunday, now I'm clueless what to do to keep grinding. I got 30 Shaman as highest right now and scattered other lvl15's Eldritch/Savage/Healer.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Yeah I tried spamming LFG channel with 'lfg xp' but there seemed to be like 3 other lvl30-35 Shaman's doing the same and I never got a response anyways.

I'd imagine lot of people have 30-40 level characters from the event, kind of pissed I didn't get higher level. Should I be fighting green con mobs solo? Few people said I can DoT kite mobs for xp to level, so I'm gonna probably follow mob leveling guide I found for Midgard and try that- I imagine I go full Cav spec and just disease-root-DoT-nuke-kite or something.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Cool, I hope they run another event this month maybe for holiday again.

edit; assload of Shamans on. I got Healer to 11, Savage to 15, Runemaster is real low but I might want to play that the most. I'll level class on Hib too, Eldritch is 15 but I guess the other Enchanter or Mentalist are the better bombing/damage spellcasters which is what I'd like to do.
Would like to get 2 50's to 8v8 on.

knox fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 2, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Yeah that's why the PvP event was the poo poo, constant 5man fighting to easily get back into the game. Playing Healer was lot of fun, but wasn't sure what determined whether I got mezz off on someone before they did on me. Hard to determine range without indicator & I would be casting first but sometimes get mezzed anyway.

I'll level Savage as melee character but dmg caster/ heals are definitely more fun.

edit; on Phoenix discord from Uthred yesterday: "plans atm are: relic and gtaoe changes and christmas (and maybe a brand new pve event)"

So next PvP event going be Christmas week/weekend. We should get a proper guild up on Mid/Hib or something, if there's a handful of us. I'm gonna make sure I maximize time leveling and take a class or two to 50. If anybody wants to group up you can find me in the Return of Reckoning goon discord.

knox fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 2, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

There should be another PvP event during Christmas week/weekend so anybody interested in playing or getting back into game should re-download and get on during it to power level a class or two to 50. By time event happens hopefully I'll have Healer at 50 and something else close, leveling is really fast in XP group and with the quest turn ins/+bonus xp on certain mob types.

edit; scratch that no PvP event till next year, will be a PvE event or someshit unless something changes hopefully it does. Come grind camp pull mobs OG MMO style with me to 50.

knox fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 5, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Didn't get to play today but I'll be hitting 50 on Healer tomorrow, going to level Savage or a Enchanter/Mentalist after that if anyone wants to start leveling. Still big sad over no PvP event planned for Christmas ;***, maybe dev will change his mind.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Beach Party posted:

How fast is the XP gain in this? Going to take a few weeks of playing to get to big boy PvP or is it pretty quick?

I was lvl 11 on Wednesday night when I got home from work, I was level 42 by Friday night. That was about 7-8 hours of grouping up and pulling mobs at a camp. So it's very fast if you are in a group, or if you have a good soloing class.

Err downloaded it too, we can form group and level quick, eventually RvR at 50.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Going to be "XP/RP/BP bonus of at least +25% on Hibernia tomorrow for the next 7 days," in addition to the already +30 underpopulation bonus or whatever that is currently. Level wit gang.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Sent you invite to my discord so we don't clog up the RoR one, can always make DAOC one if enough people join. I'm down to lvl Hib to 50 this week with the bonus going on, I'll play whatever fits with group but was thinking Mentalist would be cool.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

DAOC Phoenix adventures

feelin' like Sholto

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Me and Err just did TG epic dungeon raid earlier on Mid, I've been doing them all week for event and pumping the feathers. For some reason I chose to go Pac Healer as first character to learn game/8v8/small man etc, playing for first time since Catacombs.

We are going to level some Hibs too (Mentalist & Enchanter probably) so we can group with Kazvall's enchanter. If anybody wants to make a Mid character we got healer and shaman covered so play literally anything and group up. I'd level a Savage or some melee on Mid, just to have different classes for totally different playstyles.

knox fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 20, 2020

knox
Oct 28, 2004

that's the dude who sold me my temp that I proceeded to gently caress up by selling a piece of and had to pay 3plat to get another crafted from him.
I sold 40k feathers earlier for 10plat though so whatever, you get like 30k out off the raid which I guess I won't be doing anymore with work and the 7pm EST guy canceling the rest of them probably because afkers like Atlienz :lol:

gang

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Anybody thinking about playing DAOC again, they're going to make the Proving Grounds PvP event a monthly thing pretty much. Has to be a new lvl 1 character with no XP, and you can port to the Proving Grounds zone and group with any other class from any realm, 1-50 + RR5 takes about ~8 hours.

https://forum.playphoenix.online/server/announcements/28056-the-letter

quote:

Long story short. Both Proving Grounds PvP events got amazing feedback and the staff is nearly asked on a daily basis when the next one will happen. As having this event permanently may harm the regular RvR too much, we decided to try something new and will let you, the players, decide by your contribution, when the Proving Grounds will open again for 3 days of PvP mayhem and fast leveling.

Here are the rules for the contribution:
1 - the event will start with the next reboot after all three realms delivered all mats to the Banished Npc
2 - the event will last for 3 days and can be extended 2 times by another 2 days for the same costs as the opening of the event
3 - after an event has ended, players can contribute for the next event, but between each events there needs to be at least 3 weeks of time
4 - there will be several new titles for players, depending on their contribution

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Gorka posted:

Oh yes.

Now I have to decide on the class/realm I'll play for the event. If I get this right, it'll start with the next server reboot, as the prerequisites have been met.

Last I checked Mid had slightly more to go but they probably hit it by now; Uthred said 4pm CET or 10AM EST my time tomorrow that they'd do the server reboot and it'll go live.

dwyur#3789 on discord if anybody is trying to group up for event, couple of us using my discord.

We definitely runnin' Alb Stealther group full greifer mode, add everything for maximum XP/RPs. Also trying to level Dwarf Runemaster / Druid / if I have time a melee.

knox fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 8, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Event is live in 20 minutes for next three days.

I'll be on est night and all weekend.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

haha, holy poo poo, logged on for the event. this is ridiculously fun. Lots of gold too!

did a cab to level 10 in about 15 mins, gonna try to get a few characters goin this weekend.

Yeah it's some of the most fun in an MMO I've had in awhile. Just took Spiritmaster 1-40 with a premade in couple hours. 40 is a good place to stop, has the most players along with the 45-48 bracket. Type /event count to see the brackets.

Message me on disc (dwyur#3789) if you want invite to my discord that we've been using to organize in DAoC. Still trying to make a level 1 druid, also haven't made stealther group yet.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

My 1-40 run about 1:20:00 in on this streamer, playing Durrkfunk SM exploding mfers with new tri-debuff spell (body/spirit/cold) + cold nukes.

https://twitch.tv/videos/867174795

I'm down to level 1 anything with people so hit me up, even a small premade is better than random autogroup poo poo.

PriNGLeS posted:

Oh man. I wanna do a zerk or savage, and a hero or bm. I always like Hib but the end game scene for hib is always weird and underdeveloped.

I deleted my 20something Savage to level it here, but don't know if I will. I definitely have to find at least one melee to level during this, maybe tomorrow. Druid is other class I want to take to 50 to 8 man on Hib, going to have SM now + already have temped Pac Healer. I hate Bard compared to mezz on Pac I don't know why, I guess i have to get used to the long range interrupt. My Bard is 20 in the event right now if somebody catches up.

knox fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 10, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Went 1-50 in ~5.5 hours yesterday on Bard with these dudes

Next event we should plan a premade and run it 1-50, can stop in-between and finish up next day or something. it sucks to run up against infinite proper comps and hit a wall by constantly dying. Sorc-Bard is OP in the 5man event composition, add one healer and any 2 classes that can remotely do damage and you're good to do 1-50. Without a bard your kind of gimping other slot that could be used for damage since it provides speed-endo-power-offheals-demezz-main CC, I basically just mezzed anything the sorc missed, then demezzed him if he actually happened to lose a mezz fight, SoS speedracer pull out of anything too hot or if there was adds, and off heal if the bard was interrupted. The BM basically just ran around entire time bopping people out of CC to kill. I don't think we died more than 8 times total, and only once 40-50 when we first hit the 40-44 bracket and got ran over by reds. Down to run Sorc for the group, or heal on Cleric/Shaman or something.

best composition to me would probably be Bard/Sorc/Mentalist or SM for extra demezz-pet interrupts-3rd offheals or mezz option-nuke damage/ Cleric or Druid / any tank
2nd melee option Bard/ tri-spec Healer with low celerity + mezz/ Shaman for specbuffs-disease-3rd offheals / 2x melee dps

knox fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 12, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I had a lot of fun playing SM in a premade 1-40, with Sorc/Bard/Druid/Champion/ me SM, but yeah the constant kiting I would have liked to try and run melee train with Shaman replacing Bard and Minstrel or Skald for the speed.

tri spec Healer/Sorc/Shaman/Savage or BM / Warrior or Hero would be cool. Could definitely use more CC but if Shaman can demezz well just train everything.

I'll run CC or heals or tank i don't care, as long as we premade it.

Wish I grabbed a screenshot of the stats for the Bard run.

knox fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 13, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

On Mid I've got a temped Healer & SM, and a broke R5L0 Bard on Hib with no gear that I leveled 1-50 one morning last weekend during the event (with your/@nousername old british DAOC/RoR homies carrying me). Next event should be February 1st or something, since you can make a premade and get to 50 and high RR rank very fast it makes sense to wait until then to go hard leveling wise. I know there's a few more people joining up too so we should have a solid group soon. Err has a SM/Healer/Shaman on Mid as well, so I'd say make a Mid character until event happens and then just level anything.

But yeah next event I'm going to try and get at least another 50 Hib (Druid is 34 but probably will delete it to remake for a 1-50 premade, or Hero), and 2 Albs if possible (Sorc/Frair/Cleric). poopsockflipmode next event all 3days

knox fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 17, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

The respecs are free until 50, and I think you get 24 hours of play time/certain amount @ 50 until they start costing 3k feathers for Realm respec / 5k feathers for ability spec. I just spent my first 3k to respec my realm poo poo for Aug, and I had 2 free career respecs left. It will be easier for me to get into pug 8man's as a Aug Healer, every 8man that forms up seems to have their main CC-mezz already invited.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Yeah I've been watching some 8man videos, some stick out more than others. Diving right into the close knit 8man community wasn't something I was trying to do blind as both low RR (still only just hit RR4, and vs. these RR11 8mans it's pretty huge difference).
I ran this video at .75 speed to see what he casted & when, need all the help I can get and then some on PacHealer as a newbie to DAOC for the most part. Just respec'ing Aug I checked the second one as well. Not every 8man video out there is worth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qigVAnprpSw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXPdU1DlYLk

I love the event because it's nonstop action and is super good practice for positioning/kiting/panning your camera. When rotating my camera to see behind me and kiting, I didn't reset it quick enough at times because a group would spawn in and loving train me when I wasn't looking in-front of me for couple seconds. But yeah event has made me more comfortable for when run 8mans finally (tonight-thisweekend fasho), getting practice for mezz battle, kiting and overall positioning or moving/pushing with teammates.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

They tested new mini-event before "The Arena," can port to arena zone and queue up as 8man. Seemed like a lot of fun and something that would be cool to have happen every few weeks or however frequent they end up doing it.
Stream from probably the best group during the event, didn't' see them lose once (went 2-1 first one group I think but it's best of 3, and most every queue they got they went 2-0). Alb Tanker is OP right now essentially, though couple of these dudes run Mid groups too and also win all the time (see; other youtube videos I linked above, many of the same players in that 8man are in this 8man from the stream).
https://twitch.tv/videos/878788351

knox
Oct 28, 2004

-Bard for main CC /endo+power / buffs / emergency only heals / speed / demezz
-Healer tri-spec for low celerity / main heals /back up mezzes for anything Bard misses / demezz
-Savage / Blademaster / Berserker
-Thane / Valewalker for ranged interrupts
-Armsman/Hero/Warrior

think that'd be a killer 5 man tanker

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Arawn posted:

Any ETA on the next event? I could create a character if we get enough to get a group going.

February 1st
Haven't checked the %s on item turn in but pretty positive once it gets closer it will be 100% on every realm so that it triggers.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Really hope this loving event gets pushed to the weekend and doesn't trigger on February 1st when it's off the cooldown, but it looks inevitable. I work 9-5 Monday through Friday, though I will be ready to play for 8+hours from 5 EST on for any premade groups so I hope we can get down.

and yeah the PvE poo poo can be so unforgiving to lovely players it was pretty startling in November once event ended and I leveled Healer from 11-50 in two days just XPing groups. Even that was a lot of fun but you had to be in a good group for that to happen, plenty of wipe-and-logs.

knox fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 29, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

They didn't want to change it to Friday whatever fine, they switched it from Monday to Tuesday due to balance changes they're putting in and now I'm home on a Monday with 2 feet of snow on the ground angry.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

Anyone gonna roll something for the event? Starts tomorrow at 11 a.m. CST and runs until Friday with the possibility for an extension (not likely since its the same amount of materials to start the event).

https://discord.gg/GVd8wXqu for my tiny DAOC goon discord

I might actually have off again tomorrow since it's supposed to still be hosed till early morning and then continue slightly again. If that's the case I'll be on for like 18 hours (not really) so whoever wants to start up a premade and go 1-50 I'm with it. Otherwise if I got work I'll be on after 5pm EST till like 2AM.

Down to play whatever besides Healer Bard & SM which I have at 50. Cleric/Friar/Sorc/Hero/Eld/Shaman/Savage classes I'd like to run.

knox fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 2, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Anybody wanna level with my 45 Shaman let me know.

I need a loving tank class though everything I've played it support/caster.

I hope they go back to the old map or at least put it to a vote. Too much parkour jumping onto roofs / hiding in houses, after traversing the Shire.

knox fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 9, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

After dealing with some real life poo poo been taking a break from logging into anything, but I will definitely be up to poops0ck it during next event (if it should get extended to weekend again which I doubt this time). But I can play after 5PM EST during any week day so should get some real premade lvl 1-50 going this time.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Gorka posted:

PvP event has been delayed to 19th of March. Specifically from Friday the 19th noon CET until Tuesday the 23rd noon CET. The cooldown between events is gonna be 6 weeks rather than 3 and no more extensions possible.

At least it'll be on a weekend. I'll be leveling cab on the side, but if we do some kind of goon group I'll be up for anything

I figured that would be coming; 3 weeks was kind of too short. Just guarantee it on weekends and 6 week timer is legit.

I'll be grinding out 1-50s during event fursure on 19th.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Wus suhh dood. I'm going to try and get back into playing regularly again, I have all my money and gear on Mid as 50 Healer/Spiritmaster, also 45 Shaman I need to level. Also got 41 Cleric if anybody wants to group on there.

I said come in! posted:

This is the kinda DAoC content I like seeing. It's great to see so many people are still playing this.

When I started playing however many months ago when I posted in this thread, the population had just gotten larger than the RoR Warhammer private server so I decided to finally play it again. Never had any issues with the population, Mid was easiest to find a group and the 8man community was pretty active on certain days, I've seen like 10+ groups on 8man list regularly.

Definitely would like to get into 8man'ing regularly like I wanted to, but Healer is intimidating and even more so playing against people who've played the game forever. I've never truly ran 8man properly or played DAOC for more than few months total but when I played the events in some premades with those type dudes I held my own so that helped. The events are super helpful for positioning I've found, which seems to be hardest aspect people deal with from watching youtubes and twitch. Managing the camera and knowing when to move/finding the people to move with, all while watching for the poo poo you gotta cast/immunity timers/etc it can get hectic.]

I have fun in BGs at times too, when it's good fights going on & a decent BG leader.

knox fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 4, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

btw i will never rvr with that god damned infiltrator even when its 50 because a template is like 100 plat and i dont like having to keep track of which one of 9 weapons i've currently switched to. it was a passing lark during an event and i kinda hated it

the minstrel on the other hand is my highest RR character and i love it to pieces. It is the best if you want to do some soloing, some grouping, a little bit of damage and a whole lot of harassment. nothing is better than running zone walls over in hib land till you find some stoned animist and completely wreck their poo poo right after they pull a dozen mobs, with the assistance of your level 54 charmed dual-wielding pet. probably the best class in the game holistically

I'm gonna make a Alb stealther this go-round with the event to be able to play with your Minstrel & Kazvall's chararcter(s). Down to play Sorc to mezz if your Friar, or a melee.

bomb posted:

For the PVP event this weekend I think I'm going to make a Sorcerer, Cabby, Thane, or Runemaster.

Are you in the discord I've invited people to? Just something I made to organize with other peoples separate from the Return of Reckoning disc we made. I'm down to play Sorc / tank or melee anywhere if people want to make group for tomorrow and weekend. Can play any time after 5PM EST during weekday, and all weekend.

Invite for anybody who wants to group up this weekend on Phoenix: https://discord.gg/edBXzhuv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

bomb posted:

Event is good times. Wish they hadn't changed the autogroup if you already have group members. I blame Dermit.

They should run event 1 week out of the month in my opinion.

That's what it was for about two months, every three weeks with hitting the requirements. But that was a little too short.
New autogroup change is dogshit.