Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
threads not archived, thread gets a post

been goofin around on live for a month or so, got hit by the nostalgia bug. recovered my old account with like ten 50's, a bunch of 40-48's and literally dozens of bg noobs. the game is everything i remembered, beauty, warts and all. i like some of the class changes theyve done and it's super refreshing that artifacts arent the be all end all like they were back in the day - and theyre easily buyable instead of grinding toa.

all my old friends are gone but i made some new ones and joined a decent guild that rvrs for a couple hours most evenings. i just log on a couple nights a week and run with them till i get tired or annoyed or happy with how many rp's ive made. we're usually done by like 9pm local time so it's not really killing my IRL like it did back in the day when i played 40h a week. oh also everybody's like rank 12 it's insane. i have a pile of rr5's and am focusing on my sorc who just broke into rr6. i fuckin love the sorc changes that evidently showed up a couple years ago and am running 50 mind 20 body.

i didnt learn about phoenix till after i reactivated and now i think i'd kinda feel bad if i ditched my new buddies, so im going to hang out here till i get bored and probably quit for another 14 years. i'm glad it's fun over there though!

i came back EC, got mad at the restrictions and ended up resubbing. gg broadsword, well played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ded posted:

Phoenix has over 10 times the pop as live.

Play on the good server :unsmith:

live is back up to half the population of phoenix and i'm having a good time. i have like 500 billion plat and all these ml10 cl15 rr6's over here. I might roll something on phx to check it out but honestly i'm not playing too many games right now across the board. also i enjoy running a buffbot bc i run so many pet classes heh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dude simultaneous chants on live has changed minny and pally play so much. theyre hella easy mode now

my warden too, but lol wardens cant deal damage

it was super funny to log on and find that healer 40% dd proc buff and go solo 48-50 in an hour. too bad it's pve only

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
been fuckin around with phoenix because every time i log on to my life (now back to free) accounts there are nine people in catterick and twelve people whining about the hero zerg. Live seems so dead.

phoenix is okay, somebody had pity on me and kicked me a buff pot when i was wee so i'm up to 27 on my sorc now. IDK if i'll stick with it though. I've been persistently trying to find a pve group and literally nobody will hit me up and I suspect if you're not guilded its the same thing for 50 rvr.

Regardless, they're doing a good job and it's a relatively lag-free, responsive server.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I think "50 in <really low hours>" is something you can do once you're familiar with the server. I'm slogging along and dinged 30 last night yay, but also you gotta know where the good items are. Also the gold. i went from 30g to a half plat last night after i found some good turn-ins

--

I was bored last night and searched daoc on twitch and found some ppl playing on the Alteri server. looks fun as hell. just group v group constant action

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha, holy poo poo, logged on for the event. this is ridiculously fun. Lots of gold too!

did a cab to level 10 in about 15 mins, gonna try to get a few characters goin this weekend.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got my cab to 30 and called it, the premades started seriously rolling the rando groups. TY for the discord invite though, may hop in the next time this event comes around!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell yeah i'll keep an eye on the thread and catch the next event with yall. im down to play like druid or aug healer or something i dont fucken know. i always play glass casters and im kinda tired of it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
didn't realize respecs were so easy to come by; got bored and respecced full spirit on my cab and am just smokin' bowls and chaining yellows with the lifetap pet. Fun! got wild minion 4 and mastery of the arcane 1 for right now.

I mean not as productive as my fully temped cab on live with a red heal proc cleric bot at the pygmies, but, you know.

33 cab / 31 sorc at the moment.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 17, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nice, badass. I get it now.

Yeah i keep getting sketched out about playing a healer or shammy and trying to out-interrupt sorcs, but then I remembered that nobody's running around with 406 dex and 10% toa speed. I should probably watch some old rear end mid videos to get the OG healer vibe back in my head

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hah i found that second vid on my own, yeah.

I come from lovely alb zerg land, at the peak of original live we had 190 members in our guild and would run either 2 or 2.5ish groups during prime. It's a big change to go back to small/8man type setups but i like it a lot more. Really looking forward to getting a 50 and going hogge wilde.

both our glory days and our darkest times were in the depths of the TOA grind, we built a cab/cab/sorc/sorc/pal/cler/cler/fri group and had a croc tear minstrel as a barnacle. Just extending over a whole zone for one fight, but god drat when the debuff hit and people remembered to assist, we exploded people. Now, lmao, sorcs get minny speed on live, it'd be even more efficient.

This is pure storytime now but my favorite thing was when we were running ice wizards and parked on top of a hill behind some trees in emain and our minny stealthed on the path below, insta stunned the zerg down in the valley and ACTUALLY got that stupid 5 second aoe mez off after they all stacked up on the driver b/c they were on autopilot, we ran down and it was an 84 body count from 8 players. Chewing through noobs in RoG was a pure 2003 pleasure

e: btw logged on to live just to check, pop's still garbage. i specifically log in with my un-rando-guilded characters to check because i dont wanna hear WHYD YOU QUIT (covid hell zone showed up) whines, i should just /gc leave honestly. They were nice folks but they play too much live for me to keep up with and gently caress the hero zerg

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 17, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Not super making GBS threads on it but this smells like they're creeping into Alteri territory. Which would be fine if they committed.

--

actual content: what's the most violent 5man tank group one can think of for the next event? thinkin and i'm not sure.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 19, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ooh i totally forgot about thanes. might be nice to have on the train. cool lineups for sure

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
got my cab up to 38 soloing, have decent enough stats that i can aoe trees and dunters. GIMME DA XP

i've tried the lfg but it's so fuckin' spammy, there should be a separate channel for level 50s. idc bout your feather farmin'

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
[42 cab] ok i was just in the stupidest pve group on the planet. this one pally who admitted to being on a work call was pulling

us: pull
pull
hey pull
2 mins later: pulls

cleric and friar, our only healers go LD -
pally: <pulls>
me, because i have 15 body and have that stupid life transfer spell: <furiously attempts to keep people alive>

I logged after that one

anyways now that i'm into mini dings it's way more exciting but also it's a horde of 38-42 people posting LFG but nobody running one. I'm about to start being a boss and just starting lyonesse groups on my own. gently caress you, you want in, bring a cleric.

Also I grinded up crafting last night and it took like 3 hours to get to the point that I can salvage and trinket level 51 poo poo now. it cost me 300g or so to get there and i went and soloed for a half hour and made it ALL back. now it's gravy time.

Might go LGM tailor or something, idk.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm good with evenings US time mon/tues, yah. I'm old and can't rock it for 8 hours straight any more, but i'd love to at least get the party started for a few hours

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah think im gonna do a reaver actually. wanna stay in alb and figure it'll be a good rupt/annoyer. not expecting tons of dps so actually considering sr/shield/slash, had fun with that in live back in the day.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ah poo poo i forgot about good ole indigosnake

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thread's been dead just because i suspect ppl either dont care or are playing like crackheads

net reults for me:

50 cleric (woot) at 4L0
48.5 reaver at 3Lsomething
43 mana eld

this event was weird and stupid b/c of the town camping but the open field fights were a+ at all levels

excited for the next one, and yes i'll be playing a shaman

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm doing a zerk or BM or something next round, gently caress it. tired of healing and demezzing autogrouped shadowblades

didnt do a mid this time. got a 43 eld that i'm gonna gently caress with and see if i can get a boring guild + some xp groups over there.

mana eld was supreme for leeching btw. once i got ae disease it was disease + s/c debuff then aoe snare nuke and it just bunched eight tanks tighter and let me tick em more. ive always wanted that class and spec and it did not disappoint. plus any time i was with a minny or whatever i got tons of pbaoe-the-stunned-idiot glory moments

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no, i am a career theurg and it's a loving awesome class, but you do get the target on your back very quickly because they're so hated. earth is probably the best line; with ice you're a bad nuker with a bunch of pets that can be kited, and with air you're a decent nuker with stun pets that die after 20sec. earth is by far the most frustrating for enemies and any caster with three earthlords on them is out of the fight for a minute. just be aware your power bar suffers heavily with 8/6 second PBT.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lots of dings this week. never thought i'd be into phoenix but now i have a 50 cab, cleric, reaver and sorc (the latter of which i dinged 50 in rvr and got 1L7 -> 2L6 tonight!)

this server owns. now time for a week of farming so i can get plats for a caster suit and start annoying people for real. i bought vault and merchant summon thingies and i can make 5 plat an hour solo farming at the gobbos

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
will not let this thread die like a solo rr2 shadowblade popped at the docks

event approaches. think it starts march 2nd. who's up for grouping NA afternoons/evenings? the few times the discord got together on voice chat we whipped rear end last time even with just 2-4 of us on chat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there are a few core mechanics one needs to learn, which you will in your first dozen fights. high level rvr is pretty skilled, but you can have a lot of fun as long as you pick up the basics. experience will also vary widely based on what class you pick; a simple healing or melee tank class has one job that can be learned pretty quickly, but intricate ones take a long time to master

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im an alb, think knox hangs out on mid. im gonna do a shaman next event so i can hang out over there

hit me up for free PL on alb if u want. i farm loot frequently

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive got templates for my sorc, reaver and necro done. the latter was cheap as hell b/c we don't get procs LOL but yeah, i got some rvr ready chars

managed to slam and leviathan some idiot stealther at the beno bridge a while back, good feelin'

ive been in exactly one rvr fight with the necro and it was amazing, just assisting the MA with the AF debuff and watching them explode. weird class. i might main it yet.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hibs are weird. i got an eldritch to 44 in the event and wanted to finish it out for realm options; spent four hours trying to get into an XP group there which immediately disbanded because we didn't have ThE pErFeCt group layout.

alb is great. never had problems and random xp and rvr groups are plentiful.
LMK if you want some alb levels, i usually go out for an hour or two of farming a couple evenings a week to fund my template addiction and you're welcome to tag along and just hang out on discord or w/e while i necro poo poo down

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh hey nice. was considering hooking up with FOA but i'll check them out too.

I just want a guild so i can be all 'hey anybody else bored lets do something'. LFG channel is a wasteland

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
phoenix is really easy to stay geared up in. there is no big class war like the toa days where people that could afford 500p suits were crushing everybody

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i buckled on monday and got a minny to 44.5, finished out 50 yesterday. It's so fun to finally be able to speed6 around. Baited some tiarna VW trying to farm noobs at the mile gate across half a zone. also dope to roll around with a bolting, healing orange pet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
minstrel is templated and i'm running around the frontier like a maniac. holy poo poo it's so loving fun. nobody can chase me down and i am running around with yellow and oj aoe nuke pets just tagging the whole zerg for RPs and then SoSing away. lmao this must be the most annoying character in the world to fight.

when i specifically want 1v1's i get one of those ellyl sages that bolts and nukes and heals for like 250 if i'm low. straight up smoked a r8 shadowblade that missed perf with one of those

first character ive got on phoenix that hit the 24 hours no more free respecs cutoff. had to think a lot about how i wanted to roll it out. 50 instruments 37 slash 25 stealth (climb walls) it is.

when i get tired of rvr i go charm a level 51 ellyl polearm dude and just farm down in the snowdonia corner. it's super chill. with some wild minion my pet hits yellows for over 800 with the campfire damage add

i killed a afk rr10 stealther the other day

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 29, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, you snare me and insta mez my pet and i'm hosed. That's the win key.

(trump card is moc1 demez on the pet on my side, and of course as much IP and heal pots as I can afford)

Those ellyl guards with the polearm hit for 300 natural and if you see crits it can tickle 400-500. i guess they made froglords illegal to charm but the guards themselves are monsters

so far my favorite pets so far are the far deroches over by hib poc. they hit for like 250, spam an insta dex debuff and cast a long single target mez. if you're in cloth and i roll up with one of those you are dead

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 29, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nope it still works. Only change is that charm has a 6sec recast timer so you can't spam it. We went from being unmezzable to having a 2-4 second mez time on average.

And yeah 80% of the fights where I lose they manage to wax my pet first and then i'm kinda naked. minstrel melee dps is dogshit garbage, same tier as battle bard. we just got some burly shouts that we spec 50 in to assist so it's bursty. also we have amethyst slash which is easymode melee

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 29, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Started testing minny pets; sadly the only way I can figure out how to do so is to find mobs that spawn both in the classic overworld and in the RVR zone.

Maybe I'll pay some 38 cleric to chain heal me while I let various pets beat on me while chatlog is on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K8O-TH7t_PRJ6EpnJ0NBX0DpkcRqh0-6JiZD6-KOZe0/edit?usp=sharing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
TBH i got to 44.5 in the event and finished out my leveling by logging on my necro, farming 4 plat an hour and using that to buy task items. The bits that I did level (those 'ugh i'm at 0.5 bubbles till i can drop these turn-ins' moments) I found caster/archer pets, parked them off to the side and did stun/shout/amethyst slash to keep aggro. Doubletapping ablative song = pve easy mode

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2-3 nights a week here yep. Phoenix is dynamic and busy. Live is....sleepy and you'll hate trying to start from scratch.

If you roll alb on phoenix I can help out with gear, powerlevel, whatever. i'm in federation of albion which is enormous and open, you're welcome to join.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think its always just 6 days now with more time between events but am not sure

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

In it, voted 5

Dunkin is my minny :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh you want people?

Check out the EU prime time zerg (so about 2-3 pm Mountain) yesterday. This was a ton of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA77-auCH_Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

knox posted:

Definitely would like to get into 8man'ing regularly like I wanted to, but Healer is intimidating and even more so playing against people who've played the game forever. I've never truly ran 8man properly or played DAOC for more than few months total

This is where i'm at with my fully templated, rr4 cleric. it's scary b/c nobody wants a lovely healer. it's such a high pressure spot. and i HAVE played for like five years at this point, here and there, and it doesn't change much. i'm still AHHHH AM I GONNA MISS THE INSTA or ARE MY BUFFS GOOD ENOUGH

that being said i'm stoked for the event, i'm gonna do a friar b/c alb needs more of them always and it's a fun floaty class to play. Snare that dude, heal this dude, rebuff and go.

anyways if you're scared of 'hard leveling' on phoenix, i started playing on super bowl sunday this year and this is what my select screen looks like. all the 50s are templated and ready to kill

cabby for the screenshot b/c i loving love the fez