Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Phoenix is good. Very active pop and rvr. Even if you have never played the game people will help you out.

Play this old rear end game for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Just tell them "I am the spec that makes things dead".

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Daoc f2p is out and phoenix still has well over double the population.

If you want to do f2p you better have an empty inventory, because you can't buy a house and you can't use craft skills lmfao

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

I said come in! posted:

If you subscribe, and create every class/race combination you think you want to play, you can keep those characters once you go back to Free to Play.

I have a bunch of old chars. It is seemingly random as to which ones I can actually use.

Not that it really matters because every single character has a full inventory and vault and no way to get rid of the stuff because you can't even enter a house so if you vendor something important oops sucks to be you.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kazvall posted:

Both my rr5 highlander paladin, and rr7 saracen minst are playable. My briton heretic is not. Probably because he doesn't have over 7 days played. I logged in the other night and there was a pitiful amount of people on. Not only that but I couldn't figure out how to find any sort of faction wide chat like there is on phoenix. Couple that with having no real sense of if my gear blows or not, I logged out pretty quick.

Pretty much my experience. And also most of my guys have full inventories and the reclaim vaults in housing are full of crap. They really locked down inventory space much like all f2p mmos tend to do, to force you to pay.

I said come in! posted:

I was afraid my info might have been outdated. :negative: I swore that was the original plan.

It's the info thats on the f2p page. It just seems to be a bit random. Like I have 2 rms on one server. One rm is playable the other isn't. One of my shaman is also not useable. But hey my Valk? Sure it's playable!

:wtc:

Really tho with Phoenix still going pretty strong there is zero reason to play live. At 10pm pst there was 70 people on mid live. On phx there was 140. And none (or very few they really crack down on dual logging) are bots.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If it's been a ~really~ long time you may also need to link the account with an EA account.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Phoenix has over 10 times the pop as live.

Play on the good server :unsmith:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SERPUS posted:

Are there any decent private servers, or is everyone still on Live?

https://playphoenix.online/

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
They made minstrel super easy mode. You can run charm + speed without having to twist at all.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Looks like Atlas is fully embracing what that time period was. Alb pooping on everyone. OF + only minstrels having sos :lol:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
kind of funny. this dude who is always spamming his knowledge and maps he made and stuff absolutely insisting that the conc brain buff works on non-cloth on the atlas discord.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Atlas launched. Feels like a classic mmorpg launch all right. No one can actually play. But the chat server works great!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Atlas has crashed and burned. For now.

Mobs would sometimes stop fighting back so some people who were able to actually play got 50 day 1. How they pulled it off with server restarts every 20-30 minutes I have no idea. Then there was also something wrong with the crafting system that let people get truckloads of cash.

quote:

Hello @Players !

At first, we would like to apologize for the rough start and the lags and crashes you had to endure so far. We've reduced the lag and the crashes greatly, yet they might appear once in a while, as we'll have to fix every issue causing it. Check lag-updates for further information on that!

Due to the lags, players were able to get an unnatural advantage in the beginning, as the monsters became unresponsive and allowed people to farm them without problems. Other exploits caused our crafting system to create a massive influx of money and items to some players.

Whilst we've taken punitive measures against those who excessively exploited those, we fear that the global economy on our server might be damaged for the months to come, if we don't take global measures right now. Thus, we will reset all player inventories, tradeskills, Realm Ranks, vaults and achievements, and provide you with a full rog set and a fair amount of money (250g) in order to allow you to keep grinding and fix the current advantages players gained with the exploits.

We're deeply sorry that we'll have to affect everyone with this measure, but for the sake of having a working economy and preventing the abuse of these exploits, we think that this measure was inevitable and the only effective measure to save it. All players that have participated so far can visit Cruella de Vill for a small additional compensation.

However, you will keep your levels and all the other progress you've made, as we don't want to affect fair people as much as those, that have been farming epic mobs when they weren't fighting back.

Please be aware that we will take measures against anyone who is excessively exploiting those situations, as stated in rule #11. We know it's sometimes inevitable if you want to level, but it's certainly not inevitable to farm epic monsters when they are not responding. Further bug exploiting will be punished according to our rules.

We love you

quote:

Hello again, @Players!

As you might have noticed, there were several crashes in the recent hours. Some of them were caused by the crafting system, which is why we temporarily disabled it. However, that didn't fully fix all the causes of the crashes. We're now spotting issues due to the increased population that we couldn't see before. However, we notice as well, that people keep abusing situations like these to their benefit. In order to prevent a further rollback and finally get rid of all those crashes and lags, we've decided to not work on hot code, as this will just enhance those problems and might benefit the cheaters.

We'll be leaving the server offline for some days to see, if we can get the most pressing issues fixed or to determine further actions to ensure, that those problems stop.

We're really sorry for all those problems, since we're genuinely trying to give you a good classic experience without having people that cheated themselves everything after just 2 days.

During this downtime, we'll keep you informed about the progress and let you know immediately when the server can be reopened.

Thanks for your patience with us

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
All they have to do is just bring back the old classic server. No buffbots and no ToA was fine.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

knox posted:

From Phoenix discord;

Like I assumed when they announced 6 month hiatus in January, since Celestius collapsed and is trying to relaunch with Eden in the future/Atlas dead on arrival, Phoenix should be announcing their re-launch on July 23rd likely for sometime in August.

Playing the Phoenix events going 1-50 in couple hours, non-stop action, sometimes getting rolled over by meta-premades but when you had a good group going it was some of the most fun I've had playing MMO in long time. Definitely looking forward to it re-launching, as I much preferred the pre-TOA stuff which I was exposed to a little bit with Celestius. I don't have a lot of experience with DAOC prior to the freeshards, I only played a little bit during Catacombs expansion, but Phoenix ruleset was pretty awesome in my opinion.

PHX was pretty much as close as you can get to what it was like in ye olden day without the actual pain of that time period.

I would just say gently caress it and play a bit on live but I cannot stand the abilities/items from ToA.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Last time years ago when I logged into live and saw that classic was gone, I looked at what I had and the amount of bs I would have to go through to be even close to useful and noped out forever.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
They are trying a relaunch of Atlas on the 4th

quote:

Hello @Players ,

Thanks to the efforts of all of you and our dedicated PTR testers, we are happy to announce that the duplication exploits and economic issues we discovered during launch weekend have been solved. Additionally, thanks to the increased server load we have identified many bottlenecks in the code which have also, for the most part, been optimized and reworked. To that end, I am delighted to announce a soft relaunch of the Atlas server starting on Monday, July 4, 2022 at 3pm UTC+1.

Due to large-scale issues with the server, I think everyone can agree our initial launch did not go as expected. Even outside of economic/duping issues, NPCs were basically non-functional and players did not encounter anything close to a normal launch experience. To that end, we will be doing a complete wipe of all progress so far in order to have a clean slate. All existing characters inventories, vaults, houses, crafting ranks, and RPs will be wiped, and all characters will be reset to level 1 (with existing names intact).

What constitutes a soft launch?

For the next two weeks, the server will be open and available for all connections similar to our previous launch. All player progression will be saved, HOWEVER during this two week period we reserve the right to wipe inventories/money if another exploit surfaces.
Levels, crafting progress, and realm points will remain intact. We understand that to some players the thought of losing your possessions sounds highly unappealing, and to those players we ask that you please consider waiting out the two week period before beginning your journeys on Atlas.

As an additional incentive, any players who reach level 39 before the two weeks have expired will be awarded a realm-wide, one-time use, of the /level command to boost one character of their choice to level 20.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Hard to say anything bad on the discord when they have had a 6hr posting timer since the server melted on launch.

But ya the devs are crying they will ban anyone who says something bad and it's pretty funny.

quote:

clait — Today at 8:42 AM
@Players We have introduced a temporary cap of 900 1000players while we work on the identified pain points.

The best way to make sure you won't be a part of those 900 1000 players is dropping stupid comments in general, insulting the project or the Team. This is a last warning before bans are issues.
Thanks for your patience and for using your brain before typing.

ps: reactions count too ❤️ drop more and we might be able to remove the hard cap sooner :banhammer:

PHX should just come back now.

ded fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 4, 2022

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

admanb posted:

I mean... certainly it's a failing trash fire but I don't think the devs have a responsibility to open themselves up to vitriol in their own Discord because their free volunteer project is failing.

They know the servers are hosed, they don't need 1000 people telling them why it's a moral failing that their servers are hosed and they should kill themselves for it.

sure. but then you get posts like this that are fantastic

The server smells a lot of fart, we're not going to lie to each other

They put in a 1000 player cap and it has not helped at all. The server is crashing over and over.

Why didn't they talk to uth and phx devs to find out ways to fix this?

ded fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 4, 2022

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

quote:

2) Assassins and Archer can’t receive XP or RP at all until 30 days after launch, effectively disabling them until then.
This allows you to create the character beforehand and hence save the name etc.
The reason is literally genuine curiosity what the effects of no stealthers are, especially on small man / solos, while still having them later on.

A month of bliss.

This sound interesting for sure.

edit : minstrels will still be a terror tho

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I look forward to phx simply because it was actually stable and they didn't "fix" something then 2 days later say no we never did that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If you want to know how stable atlas has been just look at the server feed channel on the discord and try counting the "server is up!" messages and the time between them.

I tried to like the server. I really did.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the eden website is suuuuper slow. is the game server working ok?

edit : downloaded client and eden launcher (launcher download took 20+ minutes for 49mb :lol:) and server seems to be fine.

now to find a ui that doesn't make me vomit - looks like bysan is built in I just need to config it yay!

ded fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 15, 2022

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the addition of /distribute for raid loot is the best drat change ever. but some raid leaders keep trying to gimmick it by doing stuff like top 5 / 10 / 15 rolls get to pick then they /distribute which double dips the people who won rolls and gives less chance for anyone else to get loot.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Templating a thane with all these toa bonuses is impossible :lol:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
caster heavier i'm thinking. the big zerg fights need that more. if things change can always make a new template

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Whatever you do, don't join hib. They are super overpopulated atm.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
bysanui comes with with eden client. config options are in the top right of the launcher.

also while in game you can click and drag on the top left of the screen to increase the ui scaling. it can make fonts look a bit odd tho.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I take back what I said about don't go hib. Mid is overpopped as hell now :haw:

Also gently caress siege towers

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Jonny 290 posted:

my entire guild (<Sweaty Casuals>) is probably bouncing since they broke siege so badly and have stated Working As Intended. we're sad but we are not having fun any more and the admins are doing some very, very weird poo poo. banned a major mid BG leader yesterday and then sat in battlegroup chat lurking and writing down names of anybody who was complaining about it.

skaldren or rolly? i saw pole on today. I noticed a gm in the bg chat in mid yesterday. someone pointed them out as an elementalist

siege has been absolute poo poo for weeks now and they just keep breaking it harder.

also you can tell pop shift by the /tradeorder exchangerates. people are dropping mid to go hib now like mad.

edit : apparently it was rolly that was banned for saying the patch sucked. the gm karen needs to gtfo

ded fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 28, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
welp it starts

hib losing a good bg leader for us tz

also sweaty looks to be in flux now for sure

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

knox posted:

Phoenix just dropped their plan forward a few days ago so at least there is some news on that front and they will be releasing server soon. Pre-alpha will come out without any announcement apparently. I had the most fun on Phoenix/was the most I ever played DAOC and it ran the longest so I just have more faith in this server than the others, even though Celestius was ok/I'm sure Eden is enjoyable I was always just waiting for Phoenix because I thought it was coming out latest December 2022. I think everyone will go back to Phoenix and it'll be the main DAOC freeshard for another 2+ years or so unless they gently caress it up. The community is too small to be split among different servers in any meaningful way.

https://playphoenix.online/forum/server/news/roadmap-to-relaunch-01GTAN988RCYFZ3R4T2G809BYY

Oh is that Jony's guild? Is he talking about changing games to RoR?

Yep. Apparently the eden staff has done things like seek out posts on 3rd party sites to ban them for saying anything bad about the server along with other things like banning people for reporting bugs or saying that a patch is bad on "official" eden discord/forums/ingame.

I have a feeling that a lot of people have just been waiting for phx to come back. I know I have.

But I also know they might want to revisit the 5k long ban list they have, except for pk. gently caress pk keep them foreverbanned.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
done with eden. gave 12 plat to a random dude on mid, 48p to girthquake cuz shieldz is a good guy, and 12p to a random dude on hib and uninstalled.

phx when please? :)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://playphoenix.online/play

Phoenix pre-alpha is online

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
:wtc:

I left all the eden based discords including the TR one. Pushy/LT seemed a pretty ok dude. How old was he?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the fact that the eden "launcher" demands admin rights kind of drives me nuts

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

knox posted:

Really thought Phoenix 2.0 would be up and running months ago, at this point I'm thinking about potentially starting couple Eden characters to level.

phx will not be around for in my guess 6+ more months. one of the lead devs has been busy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
is the malakadingus still trying to be the only bg leader for mid while yelling at everyone?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Jonny 290 posted:

Federation of Albion is a good and pretty open guild. if you want to hang with Golden Lions i can get you in np, just dont be a jerk (we are v chill)

---

busy day. huge 3 way BG fights, then we took a relic out of hib. 60k rps and ended up topping the list

e: some fights from today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt3HfgJSB6k

turn off your torch you drat noob :P

did sweaty turn into tabula then golden lions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
people that insist on soloing in daoc are either masochists, adepts, or a combo of both. even if you are somehow godlike in your abilities you will constantly get rolled by zergs/8mans/smalls. if you can tolerate that more power to you. seriously.