Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

quote:

This gives a lot of incentive to make alts to check out what each realm has to offer.

I don't know how it behaves now, but originally you could only play one realm per server, I guess to keep people from jumping around in RvR or spying or whatever. So you had to join a different server if you wanted to alt on a different realm- and of course all your friends who joined the game when you did are still back on the other server.

I miss DAoC sometimes, but I also remember all the obnoxious poo poo, like the Trials of Atlantis expansion, and literally all the content that came with it. Or having to grind pygmies for loving days. Or standing in a dungeon and suddenly your pet disappears through the floor. Uh oh! Don't worry he's on his way back, pulling the whole dungeon with him right to your cloth wearing, cabalist rear end.

Buuuuut, DAoC still has the best buff system I've seen in an mmorpg with the cleric buffs that were semi permanent and used a portion of your max mana. And there weren't very many "activate this to gain X for 4 seconds!" abilities, which are the loving worst, and pretty much a staple in every mmorpg now. A good example is stealth- which DAoC (and CoH) did correctly as a toggle- rather than the dumb time limited poo poo we have in everything now. Don't want to have to add a perception score to your mmorpg in order for characters to see other stealthed characters? Don't worry, just make it a 4 second ability. Now its balanced without all that extra work!

I'm kind of tempted to play this again, the more I talk about it, except that I know the UI will bother me until I quit again. Last time I played it was better than it was, but they had just tacked on a lot of quality of life enhancements with duct tape and epoxy and it was janky as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU