Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Miniorikawa is the best pov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

remember11 (the game that uchikoshi did after ever17) is loving wild and you should absolutely play it if you haven't

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Danganronpa on Switch you cowards

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://store.steampowered.com/app/648580/428_Shibuya_Scramble/ 70% off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got to the part in the last (I think) case in Trials and Tribulations where an earthquake interrupts the investigation and Iris slaps 5 IRL psyche locks on the iron gate in the mountain temple. The story is ramping into the stratosphere

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Got to the part in the last (I think) case in Trials and Tribulations where an earthquake interrupts the investigation and Iris slaps 5 IRL psyche locks on the iron gate in the mountain temple. The story is ramping into the stratosphere

Hell yeah

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

In Training posted:

incredible case. hope you enjoy it

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Danganronpa is on sale and I've never played it, should I buy it?

my only experience with this genre are Phoenix Wright games and 999 on DS.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SpaceAceJase posted:

Danganronpa is on sale and I've never played it, should I buy it?

my only experience with this genre are Phoenix Wright games and 999 on DS.

yes

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
okay I bought the first two games on Steam thanks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SpaceAceJase posted:

Post your experience while you play

Fake edit: if the phoenix wright games go on sale for switch someone post about it because I want those games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SpaceAceJase posted:

:cheers:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SpaceAceJase posted:

Hell I did too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNToe7oymW4

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

On the meat bone

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

On shibooyer 420 is only 10 dollars instead of 50 maybe ill buy it and play it even tho I pirated it a year ago and havnt played it

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

On shibooyer 420 is only 10 dollars instead of 50 maybe ill buy it and play it even tho I pirated it a year ago and havnt played it

Its good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jj622vbrrU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm finally playing Danganronpa for real and I got up to the first trial. This game is cool

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm finally playing Danganronpa for real and I got up to the first trial. This game is cool

enjoy, each game is better than the last

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AI: The Somnium Files is out digital. Ill be getting that rear end posthaste.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Playing AI rn

I have some continuity issues on the blue route but I gotta just ignore it and move on

Can tell the writing is very much the 999 guy, including weird sidenotes into random subjects that will probably be relevant later

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

there is a bizarre lack of follow up on some scenes that is loving with me hardcore

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got to my first ending today, I'm digging it. I thought it would be like a series of investigations instead of a sprawling network of a single case, but this works better for his usual structure I suppose. Aiba is cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite scenes are the interstitial ones where someone is chillin in the passenger seat on an endless highway.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

In Training posted:

My favorite scenes are the interstitial ones where someone is chillin in the passenger seat on an endless highway.

Those are some of the very appreciated notes-between-the-notes bits, along with the "summarize for me" option when you're basically done with a scene

I have finished blue, red, yellow, and got to the locks in both purple and green, and now I'm going to ping pong between them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

its cool that I got what feels like a third or even a half of the way through the game before I got to the scenes where people are questioning if it's just maybe possible that the dreams are affecting reality

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

http://twitter.com/In__Training/status/1183068041057165312

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the final act of AI is good poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unless I missed something they leave a dangling sequel hook of the prototype psync machine still being around somewhere unless we assume that Boss/ABIS trashed it in the process of cleaning up the mess. What a great game

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

beat AI something like two evenings ago

Going down the Blue route first was recommended to me and upon reflection was probably the worst way to start the game for myself personally, there's too many dumb moves and weird assumptions that Date makes that had me oscilatting between "Date is a real dumbass what the gently caress" and "this is some bad writing mechanically." There's some overall weird writing bits too like (fake edit: i get into the story spoilers p. heavily so if you're curious about playing don't read THESE ARE ACTUAL SPOILERS) after Date sees the corpse in the warehouse, Psyncs with So, 'saves' Iris, and then rushes to Iris house to see her alive and well... and then the scene ends and picks back up the next morning in the police HQ. And then from the conversation that Date and the Boss have right after, it's clear that he didn't ask Iris anything, he just went back home or whatever the gently caress. This is some insanely weird writing.

While writing that I had another realization that there's even more loving holes than I thought

Along the red route, when you psync with Iris, the reason you get the somnium of the Original Cyclops Killer(s) because you're in Saito's head, okay, fine, yes this is good.

...but the killer is still shown as a blue spectre which is kind of some bullshit because it should show Saito as himself and even does so indirectly from the shards of glass that show 'Date's' face but that's just a realization I had right now so I'm not gonna dwell on it... (ed note: I'm dwelling on it in lieu of the crossed out section below)

My original point I was getting to is that in the blue route, you psync with So and it plays out the scene with Iris at the warehouse, but it's actually Manaka at the warehouse district 18 years ago. Part of the excuse given as to why there's a blue spectre killing Iris is that So is a politician and is super objective about himself or whatever, which is fine, okay, sure at the time. Later you find out that somnium is actually recalling the original encounter between So and Manaka, where then Manaka is killed by 12 year old Saito. Of course, you can't show the 12 year old Saito killing Manaka because that would also kill the mystery. I'll ignore that too, So wanted to eject all acknowledgement that his son ever did anything politically damaging so he covered it up IRL and drilled down into his own memories and ejected his son from them too, fine, okay, sure, whatever.

but the problem is that So's somnium shows the blue killer killing Iris, not Manaka.

maybe if this were a more heavily text VN you could get away with it by describing Manaka's face being just like Iris' or whatever, but the blue killer is very clearly stabbing Iris because it's Iris in her big jacket and sneakers and cat ear headband and such. but apparently you can't visualize things you haven't seen? but you can also make assumptions of things that happened that you didn't directly see which is how we got the blue spectre explanation in the first place from Mizuki's somnium.
but So doesn't even know Iris exists, he doesn't show she has a daughter, all he knows is someone's holding him up for money at that point. but you can't even swap in Manaka's character model because nobody is going to buy the story that Iris actually changed clothes at some point, so you intentionally keep it as Iris. this seems like an amazing confluence of 'using red herrings' and 'limitations of the very specific mediums of cinematic 3d VNs.'
apparentlye they do explain this. I am suspect but I have heard this confirmatino twice so I retract this part!

i don't know. this bothers me. in other mediums this would probably all shake out the same way, just have different obfuscation methods. but some of this isn't like an unreliable narrator, it's straight up lying. i don't know. maybe because Date doesn't know Manaka so he saw her as Iris. but everything in the somnium is also beamed to the Boss and Pewter who all saw it too so maybe it's all filtered through Date's mind before it gets to them. there are explanations I can pull out of my rear end that make it work and maybe I should just be happy with them. but i don't wanna work i just want to know that someone thought their sci-fi stuff out to the third order. dude did it in 999 with the top/bottom screen and rotating the DS, I know you have it in you my man.

poo poo that's a lot more text than I expected. I don't know. It's alright. I still barely buy Ota as being 24 because he honestly looks and acts 14. I chose to run away with the receptionist and give up the investigation. it's cute that it's a very modern VN with a conspiracy theory twitch streamer that plays not Minecraft. I got through every step of Mayumi's somnium without having to double back or choose something else because I was paying attention and knew every bit of what mattered to her. mermaids have great bone structure. i want to help pewter get back to his home in phantasy star online. elephant stew is delicious. het, baphomet, a-set!

7.19/10

buy AI on sale, buy 428 shibuya scramble full price

or buy AI on full price

but 428 is real good

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 18, 2019

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

AI does have a much much better denoument than 428 though

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

AI: I thought the in-game explanation for why So's dream had Iris instead of Manaka made sense - Date had just showed him a picture of Iris and the obvious resemblence spooked him into remembering her death. His dream therefore combined those two elements.

And if you've never had to interact with a 20-something who acts like Ota you're more fortunate than most

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

AI: I thought the in-game explanation for why So's dream had Iris instead of Manaka made sense - Date had just showed him a picture of Iris and the obvious resemblence spooked him into remembering her death. His dream therefore combined those two elements.

And if you've never had to interact with a 20-something who acts like Ota you're more fortunate than most

oh no plenty of ota actors, but I mean mostly that he's fuckin TINY

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Theres not a godDAMN chance in hell im buying shiboiyer scramble a 12 year old wii vn for 49.99 blessed american dollars .

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I picked it up got 15 or 20 when it went on sale recently but I still haven't played it, looks cool though

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i beat both 428 and AI somnium files this month. 428 was sick for the most part (really funny too) but the ending was a bit disappointing in my humble opinion. i think i would have enjoyed AI better if they removed the Remember Me bullshit, it was alright overall. probably going to play ultra despair girls and the fan translation of that ace attorney game next. good day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The Great Ace Attorney sucks, sadly. Couldn't even finish it.