Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I stumbled into the EDC/pocketdump community on Instagram because I've been looking for leatherwork project ideas and oh boy is it weird.
Three things that you apparently must have:
1. A tiny prybar
2. A small tactical flashlight
3. A tactical bead
Also extremely common are knuckle dusters, a minimum of two knives, and some kind of gladiator helmet design

Tactical forceps!

Knuckle duster mustache comb!

Beads

I'll post more from Reddit later but lol it took this guy a year to figure out to carry a wallet, knife, vape, chapstick, and tactical bottle opener.

The bead thing is just puzzling to me. It's just a manchild version of teenagers hanging plushy keychains off everything.

And the flashlights. What caveman isn't carrying a phone with a light on it these days? Or is every edc enthusiast a computer toucher who spends their days poking around in server racks? Actually that might explain all the tiny prybars too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

On second thought, maybe the beads on lanyards are so you can distinguish your third knife from your 5mm hex wrench/screwdriver/bottle opener by feel in your cargo shorts pocket full of angular metal poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oops, I left this one out of my post:

Most of the knuckle dusters are similar to that one. The steampunk patina on everything is hilarious too.

Fuckin tactical pens: why over-engineer the poo poo out of something and put a weak-rear end scrub-tier ballpoint filler in it? How have these goobers not glommed on to tactical fountain pens?

HenryJLittlefinger has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Nov 11, 2018

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's second thing from the left? Thing to the right is a flashlight, I guess?

The knuckleduster.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Roblo posted:

I have some sympathy for the EDC stuff, I mean I like to carry some stuff around so I know I can deal with things. Tiny knife (I'm in the UK, so it has to be tiny) and a little multitool. But some of that stuff is bizarre. It's a bit cargo cult. You have to have a pen, a 'tactical' one at that. You have to have a little notebook, to... I don't know. Shopping lists? And the tweezers. When was the last time you needed tweezers? Sometimes you see a pair of tweezers in their own little holster. Why?
I definitely understand carrying the stuff, a lot of it is useful and truly something worth carrying every day because you use it. I've always got some kind of pocket knife (not tactical or defense) or little multitool on me depending on what I'm doing. I use a notebook a lot, a pen, a handkerchief, sometimes a comb, always a phone. But the community aspect of it and the idea that having your pen, knives, and flashlight all match makes you a stylish modern gentleman is goofy as gently caress.

quote:

Friend of mine works at a jewelers and we're planning to make some beads to fleece EDC people. They're like nerds, big disposable income, it seems.
This is awesome and you should do it. If I had a cnc machine I'd totally be making whatever the hyper specific tool of the month is to sell these guys.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Biplane posted:

It's real cool how in the thread making fun of EDC nerds a bunch of goons come kramering in all "even though my pants are filled with metal and sharpened sticks I'm one of the good ones!"

Tell us your thoughts on sportsball and religion now.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

autism ZX spectrum posted:

If you spend time in tall grass for whatever reason it's nice to have tweezers ready to pull the ticks off. Definitely not an EDC item unless you're ranch hand or something though.

I work in a lab and use anywhere between 2 and 4 different pairs of forceps on the daily and the idea of carrying them around with me sounds like a big pain in the rear end. I definitely get for a ranch hand though, hadn't considered that. They're nice for getting cactus spines out too, maybe I should get a pair for my field kit.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tactical clothespin!

This one was titled "wedding carry."

Four watches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've seen the cell phone cases a bunch. I think they're just placeholders for the phone, which is taking the picture.

• Locked thread