Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I used to carry a swiss army knife on my keys until i had to throw it away because they wouldn't let me on a plane with it (but they let me on during the flight coming). I haven't bothered since then because i don't see the point. Everywhere I've worked have had a screwdriver set or box cutters and that's all I'd need. These guys look like they're the character at the start of a fallout game. What are they expecting to happen when they're recovering upper managements passwords? Based on their EDCs, it looks like they expect to be put in some kind of Die Hard situation where they'd have to stop a team of freelance all star terrorists.

Thing is a guy who carries that poo poo around looks to me like someone who is thinking "i'm carrying this in case something happens (Oh please let it happen!!!!)" and theyd probably be actively trying to find reasons to draw.

Not to mention everywhere I've worked has had rules against carrying weapons to work. This is Canada so open or CC is pretty much non-existent.

Like everything in life, never go full retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Death Panel Czar posted:

Some people do it for the same reason (avoid scuffing the surface etc.) but it definitely picked up an operator connotation from videogames and poo poo.

E: Holy poo poo punch daggers make me so mad.

its so you can read the face on your off hand (supporting hand) while holding a rifle :bustem:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Seriously, those knives are the dumbest loving thing. Having like a leatherman or swiss army knife or something else utility-based is one thing, but most of these are designed specifically for combat. Well, as much as you can design something for "combat" when it's got like a 2" blade. What is even the point of that? You're already carrying a handgun, which tends to be more or less the most effective weapon you can get. What possible circumstance are you expecting where your gun doesn't do the trick but your lovely little tryhard knife makes the difference?

I wouldn't say they are designed for combat as much as designed to look tactiLOL. Same goes for the pens, its targeting the folks that daydream about being John Wick or something.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've never smoked, so I can't say for sure if it's true or the placebo effect. I hate the smell and taste of cigarette smoke so I avoid it.

You can taste the lighter fluid when you first light it but after it burns away you can't taste it anymore. Same goes for the phosphorus in matches. Honestly the cleanest burning is butane like a Bic which produces very little flavor.

I smoke cigarettes and don't really care for cigars FWIW.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

evobatman posted:

I don't know guns, knives or lockpicks, but I do know watches. In 99% of EDC pictures, the black tactical rugged watch is some $24.99 piece of poo poo from a mall or mail order catalog.

you wouldn't want to wear your $10k time piece, do you know how hard it is to wash the blood out of those intricate gears after you take your battle axe to someone asking you what time it is?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Probably a flashlight. For some reason "tactical" flashlights all have a spikey cover.

"Strike Bezel"

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

James Woods posted:

I assumed it was a White America flag. I'm trying to figure out what's above what I'm assuming is a cigar cutter on the lower left.

Lighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

James Woods posted:

Come to think of it I'm going to crosspost my question from the BUDK thread in GBS since it seems on topic.

Also since I feel there aren't enough of you closet EDC nerds outing yourselves I will show you my nightstand.

I work as both a bartender and an auto mechanic and have legitimate need for most of what you see albeit not all at the same time on different days of the week.

So uh...which job requires the switch blades? I mean I carry a spring assisted Kershaw all the time but only one and I don't look like a '70s pimp when I pull it out.

• Locked thread