Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

stev posted:

Ken's a piece of poo poo from the start regardless of the manslaughter.

They all are. There are no innocents in this world. Yes they're all victims in their own way (apart from Logan) but at some point or other they've all made a conscious choice to perpetuate the situation.

Isn't he shown to have a back full of scars from abuse as a child at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

Isn't he shown to have a back full of scars from abuse as a child at some point?

Yeah, it looked like he'd been beaten with a knout. It's been a while but I remember Logan's resentment of his children's upbringing was because he wasn't physically abusive/personally beating them. At least that's what his freakout after smacking whatsisface's face was about.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I haven't watched that one in a while but the impression I got at the time was that Ken reacted so instinctively and angrily to Logan smacking Roman because they'd been there before. I thought that was an amazing piece of acting - Ken had clearly grown up defending his siblings from someone.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I never sympathized with Ken until after the manslaughter

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I hope there's another season forthcoming, it's a show that I think the story can survive in the context of the pandemic.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There is a season 3 coming. They're filming now, from what I've read.

kanonvandekempen posted:

Also, they kind of dropped the first season background plot that Marcia was secretly doing something to him and wouldn't let the family see him. The implication seemed to be that she was poisoning him or something, but they never followed up.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

sticklefifer posted:

There is a season 3 coming. They're filming now, from what I've read.

Also, they kind of dropped the first season background plot that Marcia was secretly doing something to him and wouldn't let the family see him. The implication seemed to be that she was poisoning him or something, but they never followed up.
That plot was more or less fulfilled when Shiv snuck in to see him and he was delirious. Marcia didn't want the kids to see the shape he was in.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Recently finished the second season and will share some thoughts since there's not too much activity in this thread. It strikes me that the conclusion is nearly the best case outcome for Logan given his established values and given the options remaining to him having been backed into a corner.
  • Most of all: he maximizes his political capital for controlling his kids after his fall. He publicly recognizes Roman's accomplishment in brokering a deal, he follows his advice not to take said deal, he promotes him to COO for real; he does Shiv the huge favor of not sacrificing Tom (which maybe he never intended to do, but Shiv doesn't know that); he is betrayed by Kendall, granting him the moral high ground in their relationship. All of his kids will feel they are deeply in debt to him.
  • He transforms Kendall into the kind of killer he views as a competent heir, someone whom he's not embarrassed by, and at the same time allows Kendall to gain some honor. He did not know Kendall would betray him, but neither was it a surprise or even unintended.
  • He absorbs the disgrace of the cruise mess, unfettering Waystar Royco which is the thing he most cares about in the world and which he views as an extension of himself.
  • He goes out with a bang (filial betrayal) rather than a whimper (being kicked out by shareholders he despises); he's still a strongman in defeat.
  • Maybe he now has a new CEO for Waystar in Kendall? Maybe he has foiled Stewy and Sandy's takeover? Certainly Kendall now has some level of public legitimacy.
I don't see this all as being the result of a plan, Logan just seems to have excellent reactive instinct.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I’m late to the party, but it’s an absolutely fantastic show. More laughs than most most other things and some solid drama as well. Wish season three was closer.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
looks like filming on season three is almost done and apparently the new season is currently expected to air fourth quarter this year.

i'm sure a bunch of us are expecting roman to be moving into the limelight given prior seasons' re: siobhan and ken, but i guess we'll all know in a few months.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i for one can't wait for dasha nekrasova to become The Successor

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
this is the big connor year we've all been waiting for

actually though wtf is even gonna go on with connor, nobody cares about trump pastiches anymore

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Last King posted:

looks like filming on season three is almost done and apparently the new season is currently expected to air fourth quarter this year.

i'm sure a bunch of us are expecting roman to be moving into the limelight given prior seasons' re: siobhan and ken, but i guess we'll all know in a few months.

Yeah, and the Roman/Gerri compact needs to play out. I feel Gerri has been conspicuously foreshadowed to be Waystar CEO, at least for a short time.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe
could be entertaining if there's any more mileage out of the connor presidential bid but i feel like that it is going be completely dropped offscreen. not even mentioned unless someone is going to make fun of him.

given how siobhan effectively sidelined herself last season and esp. during the finale, i agree gerri def. gets bumped up somehow. whether directly by logan or through roman's likely ascension, it will be interesting to see how that further develops.

i expect the family to go all out in trying to prevent logan from going to court / doing time, hence all the additional characters being added from interesting angles including the white house.

maybe we'll see an alliance (temporary?) between kendall and greg with sandy and stewy, all teaming up and perhaps even kendall going back in as ceo (interim?) as they had originally shook on in season one?

re-watched the first two seasons and have really high hopes for the third as the writing and dialogue have been so drat good. will be really sad if the next season is a whiff since the bar has been set so high. hopefully doesn't go the way of true detective / game of thrones.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Mameluke posted:

this is the big connor year we've all been waiting for

actually though wtf is even gonna go on with connor, nobody cares about trump pastiches anymore

How is Connor even remotely a Trump pastiche

As soon as he said Flat Tax it was apparent to me he's supposed to be doing one of those Howard Schultz/Tom Steyer/Steve Forbes type bids predicated on pure self delusion and a total miscalculation/disconnect from the American public

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Any thoughts about why this show has had comparatively little pickup on SA? It should be a good fit: anti-capitalist (or at least anti-0.01%), funny, sad, twisty. HBO. Name-brand actors and creator. I think it's my favorite recent drama after Twin Peaks and Dark.

No one I know is interested in watching it. :shrug:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Because it doesn't have anyone lambasting the main characters for Smart Goons to side with.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

indiscriminately posted:

Any thoughts about why this show has had comparatively little pickup on SA? It should be a good fit: anti-capitalist (or at least anti-0.01%), funny, sad, twisty. HBO. Name-brand actors and creator. I think it's my favorite recent drama after Twin Peaks and Dark.

the show is full of interesting characters and situations, but it doesn't help that (for me) none of the characters are really relatable or likable. the whole roy family is portrayed as pretty twisted and while yes, it's very unfortunate that logan was a terrible father, all of his kids seem like pretty horrible people regardless. even their significant others, spouses, etc. seem like narcissistic, self-absorbed elitists. the supporting cast / corporate "family" appears to only further enable the roys, while also trying to further enrich themselves in the process.

i initially stopped watching the series part way through the first season, but picked it back up again during the pandemic and stuck with it due to the sharp writing and dialogue.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah, there are no good, likeable people in Succession.

I think audiences did enjoy watching the Lannister family on Game of Thrones, and the Roys are Lannisters more-or-less.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

indiscriminately posted:

Yeah, there are no good, likeable people in Succession.

Cousin Greg?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
You can't make a Tom-lette without breaking a few Gregs :newlol:

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Cousin Greg?

Not much virtue in working for Fox News... He does threaten to leave because of his principles at one point but then stays after he successfully blackmails Tom and gains more power there (and culpability). He tries to manipulate his rich grandfather for personal gain. He is two-faced with everyone really and maybe that's a matter of survival in the Roy family, but it's also voluntary, he's the only one of them who realistically can opt out. Less so now that he's worked so hard to put himself on Logan's radar.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

indiscriminately posted:

I think SA gravitates toward high concept premises when picking shows. Succession’s elevator pitch isn’t very exciting unless you add that it’s one of the best shows you’ve ever seen because of its execution.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ghostwritingduck posted:

I think SA gravitates toward high concept premises when picking shows. Succession’s elevator pitch isn’t very exciting unless you add that it’s one of the best shows you’ve ever seen because of its execution.

And even then, it's often recommended to people in concept -- "it's secretly funny as hell, but it seems like a drama" or "it's a satire of The Murdoch's, whatever they say otherwise".

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Season three finally has an air date, or at least we know it's only a few months off now

https://www.avclub.com/our-favorite-horrible-family-returns-this-fall-for-succ-1847194423

Nearly time for a rewatch...

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

packetmantis posted:

Because it doesn't have anyone lambasting the main characters for Smart Goons to side with.

yeah this show really needs an aftershow with joel mchale and chris hardwick to explain that while every decision every character made was toxic and destructive it was all vital to ensure the functioning of our grand republic

Pac and Cheese fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 1, 2021

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
oh btw david wain of stella/wet hot american summer/childrens hospital/(or the movie 'they came together' if you have actual taste)
did this super cute drawing of shiv for youtube, it has barely over 100 views and i think it's super cute!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO4K7SjSWwc

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

indiscriminately posted:

Recently finished the second season and will share some thoughts since there's not too much activity in this thread. It strikes me that the conclusion is nearly the best case outcome for Logan given his established values and given the options remaining to him having been backed into a corner.
  • Most of all: he maximizes his political capital for controlling his kids after his fall. He publicly recognizes Roman's accomplishment in brokering a deal, he follows his advice not to take said deal, he promotes him to COO for real; he does Shiv the huge favor of not sacrificing Tom (which maybe he never intended to do, but Shiv doesn't know that); he is betrayed by Kendall, granting him the moral high ground in their relationship. All of his kids will feel they are deeply in debt to him.
  • He transforms Kendall into the kind of killer he views as a competent heir, someone whom he's not embarrassed by, and at the same time allows Kendall to gain some honor. He did not know Kendall would betray him, but neither was it a surprise or even unintended.
  • He absorbs the disgrace of the cruise mess, unfettering Waystar Royco which is the thing he most cares about in the world and which he views as an extension of himself.
  • He goes out with a bang (filial betrayal) rather than a whimper (being kicked out by shareholders he despises); he's still a strongman in defeat.
  • Maybe he now has a new CEO for Waystar in Kendall? Maybe he has foiled Stewy and Sandy's takeover? Certainly Kendall now has some level of public legitimacy.
I don't see this all as being the result of a plan, Logan just seems to have excellent reactive instinct.

That's a very cool way of looking at it. I need to go back and watch both seasons, I missed some episodes here and there (wife watched without me lol) and I enjoyed the show so much that I feel like every missed episode is a crime

indiscriminately posted:

I know the show is very much portraying them as huge assholes but every person I know who is in line to inherit serious money (Like... $10m+) absolutely loves this show lol

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

every person I know who is in line to inherit serious money (Like... $10m+) absolutely loves this show lol

is this a common type of friend circle to have? asking for a friend

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mac and Cheese posted:

oh btw david wain of stella/wet hot american summer/childrens hospital/(or the movie 'they came together' if you have actual taste)
did this super cute drawing of shiv for youtube, it has barely over 100 views and i think it's super cute!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO4K7SjSWwc

I need to rewatch the season but they deconstructed that character HARD. Her being snide and mercurial just was hiding ineptness and neediness

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mac and Cheese posted:

is this a common type of friend circle to have? asking for a friend

No, work in the middle east and end up working for someone's family business (Huuuuge privately owned corps with a name slapped on them, they never go public usually) where the idiot nephew of someone makes 3 times anyone's salary and will help run the company into the ground when his grandfather dies

Lots of parallels to the Succession type of family business which they like. Here in Kuwait it's very hard to NOT end up working for one of the family conglomerates in almost any sector you end up in. Usually rotates which ones are currently doing well, and not joking it is almost always because a patriarch dies and the next generation fucks it up (or it waits one more generation to collapse).

The richest man in Kuwait at one point (Kharafi Family) was worth approx $80b, when he died his brother (the head of Kuwait's parliament... lol) took over the family businesses. They included construction (Building infrastructure as far as West Africa), food (they ran KFC + owned the entire supply chain from Egypt to Kazakhstan to Saudi), and 100+ different companies that were all part of the group that did random things like "Make manhole covers; the company". When the brother died the next generation just shredded apart the $80b worth of companies and assets to go do their own things instead because they know they would be at each other's throats otherwise. One is the chairman of a large multinational and is making his own retail empire on the side, one got back into construction, one's in banking I think. The KFC rights were sold to an Emirati family business, the construction company was sold in chunks all over the place.

Even if you take international brands like Starbucks, H&M, Pottery Barn, Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, Pinkberry - the entire Middle East rights are owned by the Alshaya family who operates them as franchises (Also in Turkey, Russia and parts of Europe). The current head of parliament is from the Alghanim family, which had a duopoly with Kharafi for infrastructure development and "tier 1" projects (slowly becoming a monopoly), operate food brands like Costa Coffee and Wendy's in the middle east, and are the sole importers for all sorts of electronics into the country

Like for a tiny country it's impressive how far reaching some of the multinationals have become but also the country gets practically 0 benefit from them being headquartered here; no taxes, they barely hire locals, and their owners end up dictating political policy for the entire country because of how much wealth they control and bring in

Anyway every one of them I speak to loves this show

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I can believe the show is popular with the set it's satirizing. Maybe the same deal as Sopranos being popular with that type of person (assuming that's true). It has a verisimilitude, it's humanizing, it publicizes how cool and casual an extremely privileged life could be. And being a tragedy, sort-of, it can be interpreted as an apologia for inequality, if that's what one is already hoping to take away from watching it.

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziBOCIgCaOk

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Best show on TV by a country mile

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
For me it’s this and better call Saul basically neck and neck

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
I just saw an ad for that said the new season is dropping this fall :woop:

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

No, work in the middle east and end up working for someone's family business (Huuuuge privately owned corps with a name slapped on them, they never go public usually) where the idiot nephew of someone makes 3 times anyone's salary and will help run the company into the ground when his grandfather dies

Lots of parallels to the Succession type of family business which they like. Here in Kuwait it's very hard to NOT end up working for one of the family conglomerates in almost any sector you end up in. Usually rotates which ones are currently doing well, and not joking it is almost always because a patriarch dies and the next generation fucks it up (or it waits one more generation to collapse).

The richest man in Kuwait at one point (Kharafi Family) was worth approx $80b, when he died his brother (the head of Kuwait's parliament... lol) took over the family businesses. They included construction (Building infrastructure as far as West Africa), food (they ran KFC + owned the entire supply chain from Egypt to Kazakhstan to Saudi), and 100+ different companies that were all part of the group that did random things like "Make manhole covers; the company". When the brother died the next generation just shredded apart the $80b worth of companies and assets to go do their own things instead because they know they would be at each other's throats otherwise. One is the chairman of a large multinational and is making his own retail empire on the side, one got back into construction, one's in banking I think. The KFC rights were sold to an Emirati family business, the construction company was sold in chunks all over the place.

Even if you take international brands like Starbucks, H&M, Pottery Barn, Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, Pinkberry - the entire Middle East rights are owned by the Alshaya family who operates them as franchises (Also in Turkey, Russia and parts of Europe). The current head of parliament is from the Alghanim family, which had a duopoly with Kharafi for infrastructure development and "tier 1" projects (slowly becoming a monopoly), operate food brands like Costa Coffee and Wendy's in the middle east, and are the sole importers for all sorts of electronics into the country

Like for a tiny country it's impressive how far reaching some of the multinationals have become but also the country gets practically 0 benefit from them being headquartered here; no taxes, they barely hire locals, and their owners end up dictating political policy for the entire country because of how much wealth they control and bring in

Anyway every one of them I speak to loves this show

very interesting - thanks for sharing!

art imitating life...

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ghostwritingduck posted:

The elevator pitch I usually go with is "like Arrested Development, but a drama, but also still funny".

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
"it's like the political drama of house of cards with the family dynamics of the sopranos with the awkward cringe humor of peep show, but nothing like any of those things"
is what i usually go with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

The elevator pitch I usually go with is "like Arrested Development, but a drama, but also still funny".

“Arrested Development if the company was worth billions instead of millions” is mine.