Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

swimsuit posted:

wait i thought winter was the raiding time and if you did poo poo when it wasnt winter it hosed your harvest and stuff like in kodp

:catstare: Fire season is the raiding time just like it was in KoDP. The description of the season is even something like "While the crops grow you have time to raid!" The 5 seasons are Plant -> Raid -> Harvest -> Do internal clan stuff because the weather is hosed -> Maybe risk going outside but you still might get hosed by the weather

edit: you can basically do anything else but raid during the agricultural seasons without disrupting your food production though -- diplomatic missions, exploration, etc, are all fine. Raiding is bad though because your soldiers/bows (depending on which game you're playing) are just farmers picking up arms, your weaponthanes/swords are the only actual trained full-time soldiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
you can raid fine in storm also although i think weather effects are more likely to stop you and waste a turn.

I got an exploration weather event in fire where my war leader got bonked on the head by a giant hailstone and was wounded for a few seasons

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

I’ve been raiding the Tricorn clan so much that their allies came to me and told me that I’m going to learn what it’s like to be continually assaulted by a merciless opponent. How much longer until I wipe the tricorns off the face of the map? I’ve been raiding them 2-3 times a year for probably 10 years now.

Is this KoDP or 6A? I'm not sure if it's actually possible in the latter (it might be, just haven't done it) but I'm KoDP it can happen pretty quickly if you consistently choose "burn stead's" or "kill as many as possible" and win raids. They may not be completely wiped out but if they live anywhere close to you they'll pack up and move to the other side of the map

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

andrew smash posted:

you can raid fine in storm also although i think weather effects are more likely to stop you and waste a turn.

I got an exploration weather event in fire where my war leader got bonked on the head by a giant hailstone and was wounded for a few seasons

I know in KoDP if the Ice Demons are your ancestral enemy it fires up the clan and makes them better raiders in Storm/Dark but I've had limited success otherwise. also to 6A players is there a best season to do otherside rituals in? Could it depend on the god? I always assumed Storm was best in KODP because, Orlanth, but maybe it's Fire in Six Ages? Maybe it doesn't matter at all and I'm projecting my own superstition?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

andrew smash posted:

I've noticed In 6A the consequences for raiding in winter can be much more severe; instead of just a little "we slipped on the ice and had to go home :(" I've had like every member of my 60 man raiding party get sick from going out in those conditions lol. I think the cold weather is much much more bitter in 6A for story reasons though

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

goferchan posted:

I know in KoDP if the Ice Demons are your ancestral enemy it fires up the clan and makes them better raiders in Storm/Dark but I've had limited success otherwise. also to 6A players is there a best season to do otherside rituals in? Could it depend on the god? I always assumed Storm was best in KODP because, Orlanth, but maybe it's Fire in Six Ages? Maybe it doesn't matter at all and I'm projecting my own superstition?

pretty sure that only applies to dark, anybody can raid in storm

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
simon roy is a cool comix dude and i have noticed his artwork in the game

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

goferchan posted:

Is this KoDP or 6A? I'm not sure if it's actually possible in the latter (it might be, just haven't done it) but I'm KoDP it can happen pretty quickly if you consistently choose "burn stead's" or "kill as many as possible" and win raids. They may not be completely wiped out but if they live anywhere close to you they'll pack up and move to the other side of the map

Six age

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Idk then. If you kick someone's rear end enough though they should eventually offer you annual tribute not to raid them (if they don't bring it up you can send an emissary to demand it) and that's probably the best case scenario anyway. Do they Fear you?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

goferchan posted:

Idk then. If you kick someone's rear end enough though they should eventually offer you annual tribute not to raid them (if they don't bring it up you can send an emissary to demand it) and that's probably the best case scenario anyway. Do they Fear you?

They offered me one time tribute for peace, and I said I’ll take annual tribute but they weren’t into it. They fear me, owe me a favor, and are feuding me. They’re also my next door neighbor so I do t see why they haven’t left. I kill about 30 of their adults every year. They also at one point a few years ago got so desperate they summoned a stegosaurus which was an issue until I ordered a 61 year old woman to kill it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lmao I didn't know there were dinosaurs in this game too, awesome. Honestly if they're letting you kick their rear end like that it sounds like they're pretty good neighbors to have so count your blessings :)

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

My retarded clan has failed at decorating the clan hall many many years in a row and they say I need more craft magic at sacred time but I only have 1 tick of craft magic available and I use it most of the time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

My retarded clan has failed at decorating the clan hall many many years in a row and they say I need more craft magic at sacred time but I only have 1 tick of craft magic available and I use it most of the time.

Having a worshipper of a god on your ring gives you extra slots to put magic in their associated discipline, i forget who the crafting god is but do that

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

I'm butthurt that I can't play Six Ages because it's iOS only, and will have to wait a year for a bad PC port of a bad Android port.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

goferchan posted:

In response to both of y'all, Six Ages definitely maintains the challenge and mystery of King of Dragon Pass but it's also a lot more user-friendly (and yes, the manual is extremely helpful). It's also chronologically set much earlier than KoDP so I think it's a great game to start with -- you'll miss out on a few fun nods to KoDP if you haven't played it (like running into the ancestors of the tribe you played in that game and perceiving them as uncivilized barbarian retards) but it's a lot more polished if only because it's a game that came out in 2018 instead of 1999.

edit: also it was all written and programmed by basically one guy and has more text in it than the combined Lord of the Rings trilogy lol. And he looks like this so you know he's a powerful Loremaster

David Dunham is cool but Robin D. Laws also did a lot of writing for both games.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

goferchan posted:

Hell yeah . post your clan generation picks.... so far in my experience, even though every choice has mechanical impact, ancestral enemy has the biggest story impact. I reckon the main god you choose to bring with you at the beginning is also really significant though (although that might basically be this games version of picking a war/peace clan? Can't tell)

Also someone who worked on the game posted in the Games thread about how the other planned "episodes" will potentially be structured and it's really cool. the idea is you'll control the Hyalorings again but many, many generations (like way far off) later, and instead of choosing your myths and the actions of your ancestors when you start a new game, you'll be able to import a save file from THIS game, and your choices and actions now will affect the mythology of your clan in the next age

Sounds epic

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

goferchan posted:

in kodp the best season depends on the god, i believe

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ragg posted:

I'm butthurt that I can't play Six Ages because it's iOS only, and will have to wait a year for a bad PC port of a bad Android port.
Same. :(

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I gave up on annihilating the other clans and started converting them to my heresy instead.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
So I bought king of dragon pass and I kept raiding the duck people because I was a war clan and then every race of beast rose up and slaughtered me and then my few remaining people were plotted against by Nobel’s who sought revenge and my clan was wiped out. Year 2

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Xbox Ambassador posted:

So I bought king of dragon pass and I kept raiding the duck people because I was a war clan and then every race of beast rose up and slaughtered me and then my few remaining people were plotted against by Nobel’s who sought revenge and my clan was wiped out. Year 2

Good.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Respect ducks.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Xbox Ambassador posted:

The ducks are very powerful worshippers of Humakt, god of death

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
I’m doing better this time. This game is loving cool lol

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Xbox Ambassador posted:

Congrats, you learned not to gently caress with the ducks.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I hate the Ram People they are monstrous creeps with gross sheep eyes

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's really fun seeing the rams from the perspective of another clan after playing as them in KoDP. I like the event where your advisor mocks them like "We are rams! We value freedom above all else! Oh, but we keep slaves."

Also I managed to successfully train 2 of my pyromancer kids... managed to successfully send one of them to complete the Elmal Guards The Sunpath ritual at age 17 to strengthen his abilities and god drat that ugly little kid is gonna be a beast. His sister wanted to marry some guy in another clan but I had to veto it lol, she's not ever leaving my clan circle.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I kept two pyro kids, one is the girl who wanted to marry someone outside which I also nixed. The other kind of sucks actually. The third kid said he was going on some journey so I gave him magic, haven’t seen anything else from him yet.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

andrew smash posted:

I kept two pyro kids, one is the girl who wanted to marry someone outside which I also nixed. The other kind of sucks actually. The third kid said he was going on some journey so I gave him magic, haven’t seen anything else from him yet.

If you send them on the Sunpath ritual it acknowledges that they have the gift of flame from Elmal and I assume it boosts their odds. Do that with the "strengthen abilities" reward and you can get them to Heroic combat overnight

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

in general based on my KoDP experience it can be better to have younger clan ring members with weaker stats than it is to have really old dudes with great stats, just because the former have the potential to improve over time and will eventually surpass their elders in a decade or two

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I really don't pay attention to family ties. Will this backfire y/n

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

I really don't pay attention to family ties. Will this backfire y/n

Sometimes the right thing to do is just to say gently caress it but in general it's best for each of the 7 ring members to represent one of each of the 7 different families, you'll get more bad morale events if you don't and I think maybe a clan magic penalty? Every time someone dies or whatever I just sort my citizens by family and see which one is no longer represnted on the ring and add one of them

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Every time I do elmal guards the sun path my quester dies and now I’m too scared to risk it again (don’t have enough old bastards to kill off). Anyways I’m nearing the end of my game. I lost it once and did a restore. i sent the pottery child Beren to a duel to the death and he died. Then his best friend came to my clan and called us a bunch of assholes for killing Beren. Then a new clan of ram people who could ride horses showed up and they were looking for a specific clan Tula. I told them they should go to the only ram clan that is allied to me instead and they went there, killed their clan leadership, took over the clan, then destroyed my clan. Game over. I think all those events were related.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

Every time I do elmal guards the sun path my quester dies and now I’m too scared to risk it again (don’t have enough old bastards to kill off). Anyways I’m nearing the end of my game. I lost it once and did a restore. i sent the pottery child Beren to a duel to the death and he died. Then his best friend came to my clan and called us a bunch of assholes for killing Beren. Then a new clan of ram people who could ride horses showed up and they were looking for a specific clan Tula. I told them they should go to the only ram clan that is allied to me instead and they went there, killed their clan leadership, took over the clan, then destroyed my clan. Game over. I think all those events were related.

I think it's impossible to win if Beren dies.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I was grooming him to eventually become clan leader then whoops, the major event chain started. Good thing I didn’t risk him. I had a badass Hyalor follower and one of the fire kids do all the heavy lifting.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

goferchan posted:

Sometimes the right thing to do is just to say gently caress it but in general it's best for each of the 7 ring members to represent one of each of the 7 different families, you'll get more bad morale events if you don't and I think maybe a clan magic penalty? Every time someone dies or whatever I just sort my citizens by family and see which one is no longer represnted on the ring and add one of them

Ah good, that's literally the only thing I've paid any attention to regarding families.

What do you do if you're low on food? Raid? I'm not sure what I can do to increase foodstock except having certain blessings active and not raiding during planting (and maybe harvesting).

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

Ah good, that's literally the only thing I've paid any attention to regarding families.

What do you do if you're low on food? Raid? I'm not sure what I can do to increase foodstock except having certain blessings active and not raiding during planting (and maybe harvesting).

After I got all my infrastructure up I do cattle raids almost every single season except fire season which is when I do regular raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Raiding during planting or harvesting is almost never a good decision-- your "bows" are just your farmers taking up arms to help you fight, so when you send them off on raids they're ignoring the fields and food can suffer a lot. Sometimes you may get an event where something really hosed up happens during a farming season and the right call is to immediately send off a raiding party, and in those cases you just have to suck up the penalty.

As for increasing production, having lots of herds help, the relevant blessings and shrines (and there are a ton of them, if you can swing them all you'll have a surplus forever) also make a big difference if you can afford the upkeep. I always try and trade/sacrifice goods instead of cattle as long as it won't leave me short of what I need to upkeep my temples -- they're worth the same, and cows have the benefit of producing more cows and producing food, while goods just sit around being useless. If you have a lot of people sick or wounded, that will negatively impact food production, so keep an eye on those numbers and sacrifice to heal them if necessary.

Otherwise you can always trade for food or ask allies/people who owe you a favor to help out and they'll usually provide. I think the only time the game lets you actually acquire food from raids is when your people are starving -- I believe raiding for food is considered a major "broke bitch" move and unless your clan is literally dying of hunger they're too proud to do it. There's also the Foraging venture if you're desperate

edit: oh yeah cattle raids are ok because you're usually just sending out like a dozen people tops

• Locked thread