Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Nothing to add to this other than I'm super hype and I'm very curious to see where they go in regards to Ruth and Debbie's relative privilege whereas the rest of the girls are either women of color or socially disenfranchised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Was that episode based on a real person?

Stevens went as Kharma in the WWE (she was known as Awesome Kong in other promotions and Amazing Kong when she worked in Japan); she was an absolute badass and one of only three women to ever participate in a Royal Rumble (the female superstars didn't have a rumble until this past year).

She announced her pregnancy on an episode of RAW, WWE told her to take a leave of absence, and a few months later, she announced that she'd given birth to a healthy kiddo.

The baby didn't survive birth. She said that there was a healthy birth because she was too embarrassed to admit that anything was wrong. She parted ways with WWE a few months later because she wasn't ready emotionally or physically to return.

She went on from there to have a rad run in Japan though! And when she came back stateside to work the indies, she dabbled in Intergender wrestling and was fuckin' great at it.

Rant oncoming-
I love wrestling and watch it multiple times a week, but WWE is an absolute shitshow of a company. If I recall correctly, part of why she didn't return is because she put on a lot of weight while she was depressed and the company was not having it. They don't really employ larger women as Superstars. Chyna and Beth Phoenix were billed as giantesses, but were both under 6ft and only came off as larger because they were incredibly muscular.
In recent memory, the only "big girl" they've had is currently working; Nia Jax. She's 6ft and 230-250 lbs I think? She's basically only around because she's The Rock's cousin. She's a really unsafe worker, and it's a bummer.

So yeah. She was a great worker, really versatile, oodles of international experience, and a trailblazer in many ways, but that personal tragedy derailed her life in a major way.

• Locked thread