Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I totally forgot this dropped this month, so there goes my plans for the day off lmao

Loving Yolanda so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I must board the next goat for America!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ahahaha gently caress

episode 8

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

yo this season was excellent

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GobiasIndustries posted:

As good as season 1 in your opinion? Because drat did I love me some S1 GLOW.

I feel like it started off the same level of quality as S1 then got better every episode. Especially episode 8 ...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I 100% miss the old lady gimmick

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Yeah they definitely made the show-within-a-show as sorta-lame as the actual GLOW was and it's neat.

Only thing that disappointed me about the season was they went with the cliche thing with Marc getting mad about Ruth's video, I was hoping they'd flip the script and have him go "WHO DID THIS? WELL WHOEVER DID IT CAN DIRECT MORE SO I CAN DO MORE COKE!"

I loved that. It especially worked well in retrospect: While he's playing big boss man director he wants it to be entirely his own ship, but once he gets more into the show/remembers how it felt to actually care about a project, and more hands on in filming/etc he opens up more to it being a collaboration and loosens the grip.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It is 100% Kate Nash in the show, yes

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It seems like a lot of people felt the Sam and Ruth sexual tension thing was forced but I didn't really mind it. I can definitely see it coming from Sam anyway, but he is an old pervert so that's not really that surprising. But Ruth also seems like someone who makes obviously bad relationship choices, so it didn't really strike me as that weird. But I also think Marc Maron is kind of sexy, so maybe I'm just crazy.

I felt the growing tension in S1, so the complaints seemed crazy to me, too. Maybe it was planned from the go and maybe not, but Brie and Maron's chemistry was more than enough to sell me on it so :shrug:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

teamcharlie posted:

Poor Carmen. She was so sad that Bash went for the pretty British pop star instead of her. I would have much preferred to see Netflix shake up the formula and make the fey rich white boy be really really into loving big girls.

The wrestling's kinda fun and the emotional stuff doesn't really resonate with me, but is anybody else just digging the exploitation movie aura that comes off the scenes with Sam/that Sam directs and the occasionally leery camera? I haven't seen Cimber's stuff so I can't do much more than speculate that there might have been a Butterfly reference somewhere in the Sam-Justine scenes, but I was definitely getting a Fred Olen Ray vibe from the delightful season 2 episode 8, a little bit of Toxic Avenger from that aerobics scene in the first season in episode one, probably loving somebody that Roger Corman worked with for that meat grinder scene in episode 5 of season 2. Assuming there's a season 3, I really want to see some more of that poo poo.

p sure Carmen was sad/confused because she knows he's a big 'mo tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Straight White Shark posted:

the part where Bash has been played as a gay caricature for the entire run of the show suggests to me that maybe he is supposed to be gay, just in case him looking around in a gay bar like a kid in a candy store right up until he loses his nerve wasn't a big enough hint

Yeah, it's been clear since S1. My vibe from Carmen since S1 has always been a vibe of her knowing without saying, too, and that's part of why they're so close.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Straight White Shark posted:

He's a camp-loving, hard-partying clotheshorse with an overbearing mother who loves playing dressup with his closet full of women's costumes, gets excited about putting on glitter eyeshadow and lives with his fabulous "butler" that he's extremely close and possessive of.

Sure, none of that proves anything. But it's pretty clear what they're trying to get across.

S1 laid the crumbs out for you to realize, oh, Bash is probably gay or at least confused. S2 really nailed it home tho esp with the gay bar scene and when he went to the house to talk to his mother. Not to mention all the beefcakes decorating his vanity in his childhood bedroom, which are revealed to us after he's in tears over trying to track down his clearly gay best friend/butler.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

cant cook creole bream posted:

That he's a grown man who's wealth, relation to his mother and lack of real hardships prevented him from reaching a mental level beyond childhood fantasies. And that he has to be constantly supervised, so he doesn't do something stupid?

Frankly, I always interpreted him that way. But I guess I wasn't really paying attention to that at all and couldn't even recall that there was a butler in season one. This season all the scenes resolving around some absent guy I didn't remember fell kinda flat for me. To be honest, I didn't care for Bash either. Come to think of it, don't really like any of the men in this show. Glenn was kinda fun.

I could see taking his characterization in S1 as that, if not for S1 setting Florian up (in his admittedly very few scenes) as sooooo loving gay, then having Bash fall apart completely when Florian vanishes during S2. His breakdown was more than that of a stunted manchild or someone who really missed their best friend, imo.

Like I said they definitely lay the crumbs in S1 and it could have gone either way, but in S2 they make it super obvious for anyone who was on the fence.

Though tbf as a gay myself, maybe I just picked up on it easier.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Xealot posted:

I also thought this. Carmen struggles to perform femininity the way she's "supposed" to, and I assumed she saw something similar in Bash.

I'd say Bash's turmoil isn't about just being gay or just HIV in isolation. He's a deeply-closeted rich kid who's obviously gay but really self-loathing about it. Gayness in and of itself is a source of disgust and fear and anxiety for him, but the HIV renders those feelings "pragmatic." He's not bleaching his home to the floorboards just because he's so afraid of HIV, he's doing it symbolically to "clean" this aspect of himself...the disease is just his excuse. Marrying Rhonda comes from the same impulse, as some radical action he hopes will wash away his darker impulses and live "correctly."

100%

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kill it with fire!!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gawain The Blind posted:

I would pay quite a bit of my capitalist pig dollars for a Zoya action figure with a goat accessory and a button that made her say crazy fake Soviet poo poo.

:same:

quote:

loving funko. I can't understand why anyone buys those.

:same:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ruth and Debbie always seemed like equal main protags to me.

I like the Debbie stuff.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tiggum posted:

I would have said Ruth and Sam.

All three tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Charlotte is the only girl currently working r/n I could buy being maaaaaaaaybe six feet tall. Tho I am about a year behind on my roster knowledge so mb there's some more tall ladies now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kal-L posted:

I just read the loving article about that from a previous page.

*Best Sam voice impression*: Well, poo poo.

Guess this time I was defeated by my own brain. Or some black magic!

You are (surprisingly, to me) not the only person to read the Bash stuff that way, or at least as him not being gay. Not even the only person in this thread!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wasn't trying to throw shade or anything lol. It just surprised me to see people read it any other way, for me it felt obvious they were setting it up even in season one.

People can read poo poo however they're going to read it, though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Excellent. How many awkwardly inserted original characters will it have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nerd_of_prey posted:

Loved season 2, I just wish the seasons were longer as I burned through it so quickly!

extremely :same:

I'm torn between wanting longer seasons or longer episodes. The show works so well at half an hour but I also think the writers could make an hour work, too.

Honestly it's probably the perfect length which is rare for a Netflix show, I just hate how drat fast I binged through both seasons when they dropped-- i want more!!

• Locked thread