Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Whats the easiest 220+ Event to do for AA book 9? Tried event Emerald, got immediately hit for 9999 to everyone and wasted in a single turn. Everyone seems to get destroyed in raids as well.

I'd say the IV's Magus Sisters are easy to clear if you can bring a source of Runic (be it from having the right Celes/ExDeath Soul Break in your party or RWing it). Especially if whoever casting Runic also has access to an Ability Double buff (Guaranteed Doublecast at the cost of double hone usage) because Sandy and the Delta Attack will offset its usual downside through Runic.

EDIT: Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AstraSage posted:

I'd say the IV's Magus Sisters are easy to clear if you can bring a source of Runic (be it from having the right Celes/ExDeath Soul Break in your party or RWing it). Especially if whoever casting Runic also has access to an Ability Double buff (Guaranteed Doublecast at the cost of double hone usage) because Sandy and the Delta Attack will offset its usual downside through Runic.

EDIT: Nevermind.

I'm actually going to go try that as well for a laugh. I do have Celes levelled and she has a good for SBs behind her.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

*tons of fest content out*

*only runs mote dungeons*

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Grozz Nuy posted:

she's not a costume, she's a separate character. she was released as part of the new story content that came out a few weeks ago and just got her first relics earlier at the beginning of the festival that's currently going on.

yeah i know but it seems like an obvious pull to let you swap or just have her as a costume for the pc keeper

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh my gosh this popped up last night and gave me the giggles.

Pander posted:

this but shores of wisdom

nice that all the fest dungeons are one stamina tho

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

McDragon posted:

this but shores of wisdom

See this?

This is me being completely out of memory crystals. All non-core characters are 65+ and all cores are 80+.

And I still have magicite to level :negative:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Pander posted:

I’m just running exp dungeon to get magicites up. After getting utterly thrashed by Tiamat to the point of no return my confidence to try the harder content is very low.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've finally got every character up to at least level 80

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm still clearing Nightmare dungeons :suicide:

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Someone mentioned in the last thread that BSBs were good for their longevity against the Weapons, and after trying out these folks I can't disagree.

That was me, and yeah they're still great against Ultima. My team was: Vaan BSB, Zell BSB1, Noctis BSB, Ramaza BSB2, and Relm USB+BSB. I had been trying to make Greg work because he has that dispel command, but it turns out Ultima doesn't cast mighty guard that often, so I just gave Ramaza banishing strike and subbed in Vaan (who I forgot existed, but is perfect for this fight) and everything clicked. Turns out quad-breaking defense when you have to rely on non-elemental damage is actually useful.

No Friend of Gravity posted:

This week is the single best time in the game's history to start playing. If you start before July 7, you'll be able to catch the end of the Summer Fest. I rerolled an alt account yesterday; here's a quick start guide.

This is probably true, and I think it would be interesting to experience a world where 0/11 never existed and the only uniques I own came from AA. But I barely have time to keep up with all the poo poo going on in one account, let alone doing everything twice. But for new players, it's awesome and that's a great guide.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

suuma posted:

I'm still clearing Nightmare dungeons :suicide:

I'm almost a third through... I think?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

eelmonger posted:

That was me, and yeah they're still great against Ultima. My team was: Vaan BSB, Zell BSB1, Noctis BSB, Ramaza BSB2, and Relm USB+BSB. I had been trying to make Greg work because he has that dispel command, but it turns out Ultima doesn't cast mighty guard that often, so I just gave Ramaza banishing strike and subbed in Vaan (who I forgot existed, but is perfect for this fight) and everything clicked. Turns out quad-breaking defense when you have to rely on non-elemental damage is actually useful.
I've passed on Vaan BSB when it's come up before in selections and this kind of stuff keeps yelling in my face that I was dumb for doing so. I also realized afterwards that I have Zell BSB1 but :shrug:.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Vaan BSB got me through some dark times, but like I said, I totally forgot I had it since the current meta largely ignores breaks and non-elemental. I'm sure the people with LDed Masters are having an easy time with this fight too, but no way I would do that just for this fight (or at all really).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Planned two pulls on banner 3. Rage pulled four times. Noctis AOSB and some crap.

RIP me. Down to 20ish mythril. :sigh: Someday I’ll get a drat Wind chain. I must have thrown 500+ mythril at it over time.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

BGrifter posted:

Planned two pulls on banner 3. Rage pulled four times. Noctis AOSB and some crap.

RIP me. Down to 20ish mythril. :sigh: Someday I’ll get a drat Wind chain. I must have thrown 500+ mythril at it over time.

I have Luneth USB/OSB/BSB, Cloud USB1/USB2/BSB1/BSB2/LMR1, Zack USB/BSB/LMR1, Alphinaud BSB, Fujin BSB for wind.

I still don't have ANY chains. Not a single one. Certainly not a Wind chain.

My last 150 mythril is going toward Banner 4 since it has 2 chains and I really should get at least one of them.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Scraped up my last 50 and did a pull on banner 3.

Cloud and Noctis glints, Zack CSB!

I'll absolutely take it.

Cloud now has USB1, USB2, BSB1, BSB2, and glint (and one unique)

I guess I should look into diving him now.

Also caught up on all realm dungeons and elites.

Combo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 29, 2018

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Benthalus posted:

I still don't have ANY chains. Not a single one. Certainly not a Wind chain.

Yeah I really shouldn’t complain too much, I’ve been on a good run in 2017/2018. I’ve got chains for Fire, Holy, Water, Earth and Ice.

Just the first time in a loooooooong time I threw four pulls at a Fest banner and got nada. Not even Iris BSB.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

A surfing dog?! posted:

I'm not entirely sure which characters are good with the things I pulled, so I'm just gonna list them and see what you guys think.

Serah's Lunar Stinger with Moonfrost Arrows Her first BSB. Bad, but it does EnIce. Has applications, but find better.
Vaan's Orichalcum Dirk with Ark Blast Very useful for newer players. Has endgame use as well.
Vivi's Flame Staff with Proof of Existence Not good, but does EnFire Vivi which has applications. Don't rely on as a standalone
Laguna's Arcturus with Ragnarok Buster :siren: A jackpot score! This is excellent and makes Laguna a top-tier character. Be on the lookout for more things, including his CSB coming in a month or so
Yuffie's Magic Shuriken with Guardian of Wutai Her first BSB. Bad, but it does EnWater. Has applications, but find better.
Cyan's Riot Blade with Bushido Oblivion (Have they actually made Cyan not the worst yet?)They have not :( Cyan's USB is okay, but Cyan himself is still bad. This is useable but you want better.
Golbez's Gigant Axe with Master of Baron Same template as Cecil USB1. Not bad. Will be good for you as a newer player and may have endgame application if you get a better Golbez. Pretty decent pull honestly
Minwu's Stardust Rod with Seal of Heaven Not a medica as such, but has Instant Curaga commands which is good. Don't make Minwu your healer for this, but it's usable in a pinch, depending on context
Haurchefant's Kite Shield with Live to Serve This is the absolute best USB in the game for a meta that does not exist. It's unfortunately bad now, but it could be good in the future. For an early-content account, this should be ungodly powerful.
Shantotto's Tactician Magician's Cuffs with Play Rough Useable but not spectacular.
Ignus' Aegis Shield with Oathsworn Espada A good character, rare element, and EnEarth. Decent BSB. Useable character for sure.
Kimahri's Bright Armlet with Undimmed Spirit A really great USB on a character who really sucks. That doesn't make this worthless and in fact it will be amazingly good for a specific endgame boss in a month or two. For an early account, definitely use this because it's a fantastic stackable buff and you won't be using 5* abilities anyway. Try to get Kimahri his 4* dive that allows him to use 4* support
Gogo's Helm of Wonders with Punishing Meteor garbo

I only listed the stuff I got with Ultra and Burst because I'm assuming Super is outdated by now. It's kinda tough for me to make sense of which ones are good and which aren't since everything has a ton of different effects now. I'm trying to decide who to fit in my main non-series specific team, and I've always run with Ramza with his Shout and Y'shtola with her Stoneskin II but I'm pretty lost otherwise. I'm probably just going to mess around with Record Dungeons til I get the hang of this game again.

Another thing to note is that some SSBs are excellent, so you should probably post those too. Do it in the format "Cloud SSB1" or "Lightning SSB2" so it's easier for us to look up.

You did really well!

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm sitting at three right now (Shantotto, Tidus, Krile). I struck out on Holy/Dark, and now all the upcoming double chain banners cover one the few elements I actually have (Rikku/Snow tomorrow, Garnet/Prompto next fest, Galuf/Gilgamesh in the next next FFV event).

ceaselessfuture posted:

Another thing to note is that some SSBs are excellent, so you should probably post those too. Do it in the format "Cloud SSB1" or "Lightning SSB2" so it's easier for us to look up.

You did really well!

Just a note on this, might be easier to just say SSB with the name of the relic/SB. Figuring out what SSB came first is probably hard.

Also, don't be mean to Cyan. With his USB, he's perfectly fine, even if he used to be crappy. He doesn't need more then the Samurai abilities, has a dualcast LM2, and his USB is built to work well with the 5* Samurai abilities. You'll need to hones for it so it's not great for beginners, but it's great in the long term, even if it's not a chase ot ability double USB.

It particularily shines beside something like Onion pUSB for the extra crit boost, but it still does great damage with Warring Flame. We even have a 5-hit Samurai ability coming and a Fire version of Hailstorm for self-buffing.

It's very delayed, but they treat the neglected VI characters very nicely now (Strago, Gogo, Gau, Cyan, Umaro). Gau's getting a Combat/Celerity version of Orlandeau USB is proof to me.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 30, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

From the previous thread:

Should I pull a second time on this banner, or am I better off pulling once on each or multiple times on an upcoming banner?

Also, Cloud's animation for Climirage is hilarious!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Assuming you aren't loaded with mythril I would just aim for one pull on each fest banner, maybe a 2nd pull if you get a bad roll if you feel like it. I don't think there's anything in the immediate future you NEED to save for, though FFTactics banner coming in a week or so could be a good thing to look forward to with some very good holy + healing stuff

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

ceaselessfuture posted:

You did really well!

Thanks for all those notes, that definitely helps because I still feel pretty lost right now lol

Here's the SSB stuff I pulled recently.

Luneth's Lust Dagger with Swordshower
Tidus' Force Sabre with Jecht Shot
Reno's Light Rod with Turk Bombshell
Krile's Beast Killer with Unspoken Bond
Irvine's Exeter with Hyper Sniper
Minfilia's Holy Shield with Blessing of Light
Alphinaud's Evoker's Doublet with Deployment Tactics

And here's the SSB stuff I had before I quit.

Locke's Valiant Knife with Valiant Strike
Squall's Cutting Trigger with Blasting Zone
Ramza's Platinum Sword with Shout
Agrias' Defender with Hallowed Bolt
Sephiroth's Yoshiyuki with Black Materia
Kain's Wyvern Lance with Rising Dive
Selphie's Crescent Wish with Dreamstage
Rydia's Mystic Whip with Odin
Laguna's Machine Gun with Desperado (I'm assuming I probably wouldn't use that over Ragnarok Buster)

I was also wondering if I should use my free acolyte draws for anything in particular since there's so much crap I can pick out.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

A surfing dog?! posted:

Thanks for all those notes, that definitely helps because I still feel pretty lost right now lol

Here's the SSB stuff I pulled recently.

Luneth's Lust Dagger with Swordshower garbo with very niche use
Tidus' Force Sabre with Jecht Shot total garbo
Reno's Light Rod with Turk Bombshell utter garbo
Krile's Beast Killer with Unspoken Bond niche use. Not totally useless in mage teams
Irvine's Exeter with Hyper Sniper Pentabreaks are useful. Irvine could be your support for now.
Minfilia's Holy Shield with Blessing of Light Fantastic, especially since the release of Hastega. Really great effects.
Alphinaud's Evoker's Doublet with Deployment Tactics Likewise amazing. Radiant Shield is a great strategy for lots of content and it has a +Mag buff on top of it

And here's the SSB stuff I had before I quit.

Locke's Valiant Knife with Valiant Strike complete garbo
Squall's Cutting Trigger with Blasting Zone supreme garbo
Ramza's Platinum Sword with Shout The OG GOAT. Utterly fantastic and still endgame capable. Ramza himself is excellent. Top tier SB and top tier character. Great support.
Agrias' Defender with Hallowed Bolt fully garbo
Sephiroth's Yoshiyuki with Black Materia unequivocally garbo
Kain's Wyvern Lance with Rising Dive mostly garbo, but may have some corner case use in CMs or something
Selphie's Crescent Wish with Dreamstage Pretty decent honestly. Solid contender when you need to use Selphie or when you desperately need an mBlink
Rydia's Mystic Whip with Odin bad but has corner case use.
Laguna's Machine Gun with Desperado (I'm assuming I probably wouldn't use that over Ragnarok Buster) you assume correctly, this is absolutely garbo

I was also wondering if I should use my free acolyte draws for anything in particular since there's so much crap I can pick out.

If this is EVERY relic you have, I'd recommend medicas mostly. 100% get Relm's BSB off of AA 9, but any full party heal would be great for your team.

As to specifics otherwise, try this guide index. Reddit is compulsive in all the best ways: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/8nazt6/reminder_list_of_acolyte_archive_selection_guides/

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

Reno's Light Rod with Turk Bombshell utter garbo

I'm pretty sure it's the only 100% sleep relic in the game so it can break some fights completely (mote magus sisters comes to mind). Granted I can't remember the last time sleep was relevant in a top tier fight, but I'd give it at least niche status, especially if you still have a bunch of realm dungeons to do where sleep could be relevant.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

eelmonger posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the only 100% sleep relic in the game so it can break some fights completely (mote magus sisters comes to mind). Granted I can't remember the last time sleep was relevant in a top tier fight, but I'd give it at least niche status, especially if you still have a bunch of realm dungeons to do where sleep could be relevant.

Status effects are solidly in the grave right now. Any fight where they'd work is easy enough that you don't need it, and any fight where they might be useful they won't work.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Red soul with ogre mages is the only battle I can remember where sleep matters, and it's pretty power creeped.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ceaselessfuture posted:

100% get Relm's BSB off of AA 9, but any full party heal would be great for your team.

Relm BSB is on Banner 5, so hold off on selecting if you're planning a pull on that.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

ah my b

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Status effects are solidly in the grave right now. Any fight where they'd work is easy enough that you don't need it, and any fight where they might be useful they won't work.
The unfortunate thing is that there are models for status effects that aren't just silver bullets vs. invincible blocks to them.* The big thing you need to do at the very start, however, is to make sure that any one status effect won't utterly cripple a target. And for reasons of corporate complacency (ie, why innovate when people will pay you large sums of money regardless) DeNA is not about to fix the problem at its root even if they should.

*D&D 4E of all things (given the ossified nature of the TRPG industry) puts the ruder status effects on strict timers, loose timers that bosses will run down quickly, tightly limited abilities, or some combination of the three. And even lesser status effects don't last for unlimited amounts of time. Meanwhile Diablo 3 and Cosmic Star Heroine both use a model of escalating resistance - if you hit a boss with Status Effect X, then each additional instance of that after the first is harder and harder to proc.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

ceaselessfuture posted:

If this is EVERY relic you have, I'd recommend medicas mostly. 100% get Relm's BSB off of AA 9, but any full party heal would be great for your team.

As to specifics otherwise, try this guide index. Reddit is compulsive in all the best ways: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/8nazt6/reminder_list_of_acolyte_archive_selection_guides/

Oh I have several mediocre medicas already, and from what I've seen I'm still going to be pretty well off using Y'sthola with Stoneskin II and Medica II until I can find a different source of Wall with a better Medica. I'll try to focus on getting a better medica if I can from one of those banners. I have a bunch more relics since this was the first game I ever whaled out on, but they're a lot more straight forward and I already know that 99% of them are obsolete. I'll definitely take a look at that guide index though.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

If your only true medica is Medica II I'd say the priority just got a bit more urgent. Taking Asylum (Yshtola BSB) is a fantastic option that you should look into.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 30, 2018

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

I'll definitely look into it. Medica II is worse than I remember after using it again.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What's the go-to source for seeing future banners now? Even Dirge seems to just link to Japanese sites past like the next 1-2 banners, and auto-translating is worthless in a game that uses so much jargon and so many nonsensical words.

I have no idea what to save for aside from hearing that the upcoming V banner is really good. I'm mostly hunting for Holy / Lightning / Earth chains now, so I dunno what I should be aiming for.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dirge or scourging reddit is pretty much it, afaik. Are you clicking the rigth place on dirge’s site? He either links to the reddit banner pages or his own writeup in the banner.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah you can click the banners themselves to go to reddit and see. Anyway:

Lightning Chain is banner 5 coming soon and looks like it recurs next fest, Gen 2 Earth Chain is Galuf's and should be on the V banner next month, or for magical there's Red XIII's in next fest, Ramza's Holy Chain recurs then as well.

Prompto gets a Lightning chain way down the line as well. The other Holy chain is 6 months away, for Edward.

So depending on how much mythril you have, pull on 5, or save for the V banner, and then save for next fest.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
I usually end up looking at this reddit post, A Look at Future Banners.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

how in the absolute gently caress do I get back into this

christ I don't even remember the last thing I pulled on :gonk:

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

This post last page helped me out a bit https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861719&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post485608274

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What's the go-to source for seeing future banners now? Even Dirge seems to just link to Japanese sites past like the next 1-2 banners, and auto-translating is worthless in a game that uses so much jargon and so many nonsensical words.

I have no idea what to save for aside from hearing that the upcoming V banner is really good. I'm mostly hunting for Holy / Lightning / Earth chains now, so I dunno what I should be aiming for.

I've always used this sheet as a quick go-to, second tab: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e1xUGHH-OBdlM0QzWoME4GRJt9v3ocQmdmylI62hwFk/edit#gid=1211382974

Upcoming V banner is indeed looking good and will feature Galuf's Earth Chain 2.0. If you're not pulling on Phase 5, then Phase 1 of next fest is definitely the place to be hunting for a Lightning Chain as it features three of them! Global changes are possible of course.

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Should I grab Y'shtola's Healer's Circlet for Asylum even if I have plenty of FFXIV armor/robes etc? I'm considering Vanille's Mistilteinn for Transcendent Dream, and I currently don't have a FFXIII mind weapon. It'd be nice to give Y'shtola a new medica since she already has a Wall, but I could probably get a roaming warrior for Wall or something. I could also grab the Wizer Rod for Aerith since I somehow never got a mind weapon for FFVII, but Asylum and Transcendent Dream seem like they're more useful than White Materia.