Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

"Some day" is now. You always want elemental boosts wherever you can get them.

depends, having 500+ mag/atk without element boost is better than 440 with boost, especially assuming its a newer player without a stacked up magicite deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does exp still get split with someone at 99 now? Could I magia grind while leveling up a lower level character at the same time?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

There's no real pressure to clear out your entire stash now. Most people should be saving up for the elemental artifacts anyway. I cleared out about 100 relics from my vault (from 700 to 600) and I'll take my time with the rest. That space will probably never be filled back up again anyway. I'm guessing I'll have about 3-400 left that's redundant.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does exp still get split with someone at 99 now? Could I magia grind while leveling up a lower level character at the same time?

To my knowledge, yes it's always split. The exp for Magicite also split the same way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So where do we get the tokens for new weapons, anyway?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They'll be event prizes.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

How many items are you down to between the regular stash and your vault? I'm at ~800 right now but that was only after tossing ~200 pieces of vendor trash and dupes into the chipper. I still have yet to comb through and really scrap dated 5* gear, let alone the mountain of overlapping accessories.

I went from a full 510/400 inventory/vault to about 320 and 120 respectively. I didn't touch accessories or a lot of items that were login bonuses.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
LOL me and one of my college buddies got the exact same relic. Bartz wind BSB. Not a dupe for either of us. Too bad we both have Bartz USB1.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elephant Ambush posted:

LOL me and one of my college buddies got the exact same relic. Bartz wind BSB. Not a dupe for either of us. Too bad we both have Bartz USB1.

Bartz USBs don't offer enelement, so his elemental BSBs are still helpful for boosting DPS if you can spare the gauge :ssh:

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Now that we have Magia, what is the best way to farm the power up dungeons? For the last few months I've run only TGC with IC3 LM and Earthen Blade RM. Is it better to run 5 99's now, or stick with 1 at a time?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

private message posted:

Now that we have Magia, what is the best way to farm the power up dungeons? For the last few months I've run only TGC with IC3 LM and Earthen Blade RM. Is it better to run 5 99's now, or stick with 1 at a time?

Magia XP doesn't work like traditional XP. Every Level 99 character in the battle gets 1 MXP at the end, provided they're not dead/petrified/ejected/any other condition that prevents earning normal XP.

As such, there's no benefit to using the Power Up Dungeons for MXP. Fabul Castle is the go to stage for that, because the first two battles only cost 1 Stamina, and you can just keep doing one of them over and over until you run out of Stamina, or decide to go do something else. For that, you get the most benefit by using a team of 5 Level 99 characters.

For those who don't know, after you beat the first battle, you can tap on it and run it again and again and again. No need to beat it, then beat the other 2 stages and start over, or retreat and start over.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
But if you're farming the power-up dungeons for orbs or crystals anyway, then yeah you want to do it with 5 level 99 characters to not miss out on that trickle of magia xp.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

And you may want to do the slightly-more-expensive VII newcomer dungeon first floor for the time being (the one with Guard Scorpion, costing 2 stamina per normal stage) - it can drop 1* items which you can turn into rainbow crystals. RNG is RNG, but I feel like you get a drop around 1 in 3 floors? 30 stamina per rainbow crystal isn't bad while still getting magia points at a good clip.

Apparently the stage was supposed to be removed or something, so abuse it while you can I guess.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

First 5* Magicite down! I might tinker with the setup and see if I can get Meliadoul in there to stack imperils with her USB and get a faster clear time.

Luck of the realms draws have been a real mixed bag since I got Fujin's AOSB - picked up a dupe Cid USB for VII, Cyan's EnFire LMR for VI and today I pulled a dupe chicken knife for Bartz.

I picked up the Type 0 MND daggers as a legendary and am considering going for a sword next, and either a mage staff or a gun (I've got a pretty decent mob of machinists and sharpshooters but a mage stick is a mage stick).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Speaking of Quetzalcoatl, does this look like a feasible team comp?

Bartz with USB, AOSB, Earth BSB
Dorgann with USB
Meliadoul with USB
Onion Knight with pUSB
Elara with USB

I don't have a chain, and I think Meliadoul is required for the heavy abilities to break enrage, right? I don't really have any other good sources of earth DPS, and I know a lot of people bring Galuf but I only have his BSB and his crit-boosting SSB. Is it going to be too much of a pain in the rear end with no chain, or do I have a shot at it?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Bartz with USB, AOSB, Earth BSB
Dorgann with USB
Meliadoul with USB
Onion Knight with pUSB
Elara with USB

I don't have a chain, and I think Meliadoul is required for the heavy abilities to break enrage, right? I don't really have any other good sources of earth DPS, and I know a lot of people bring Galuf but I only have his BSB and his crit-boosting SSB. Is it going to be too much of a pain in the rear end with no chain, or do I have a shot at it?

The answer is yes to both - you have enough damage assuming bartz+dorgann are dived at least, but without chain you're gonna struggle hard and it'll be a long fight, and idk how easy meliadoul will be able to keep up breaking savages and cycling usb's, might help to have her with TGC mode if you can get by without using it on elarra. Quetz was a bitch for me to beat chainless and I think I had a stronger team (tho no imperil so maybe that'll make a big difference)

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

So basically this with Meliadoul instead of Galuf BSB2? Do you have OK LMR?
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/9i5481/mmastery_survey_5_magicite_dungeon_lightning/e6twavg/

Or this one even
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/9i5481/mmastery_survey_5_magicite_dungeon_lightning/e6r4cnt/

It seems doable. Even if you don't have OK LMR, I don't think it's required.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Generalissimo posted:

So basically this with Meliadoul instead of Galuf BSB2? Do you have OK LMR?
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/9i5481/mmastery_survey_5_magicite_dungeon_lightning/e6twavg/

Or this one even
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/9i5481/mmastery_survey_5_magicite_dungeon_lightning/e6r4cnt/

It seems doable. Even if you don't have OK LMR, I don't think it's required.

Yeah, and I actually have Galuf's BSB2 also, so I'm not sure which one is a better choice. Meliadoul's USB looks stronger to me, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try it both ways. And yeah, I have OK's LMR too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
836 shards.

Down to 83 accessories.

That was so painful. I never want to do that again.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

DeadButDelicious posted:

First 5* Magicite down! I might tinker with the setup and see if I can get Meliadoul in there to stack imperils with her USB and get a faster clear time.

Luck of the realms draws have been a real mixed bag since I got Fujin's AOSB - picked up a dupe Cid USB for VII, Cyan's EnFire LMR for VI and today I pulled a dupe chicken knife for Bartz.

I picked up the Type 0 MND daggers as a legendary and am considering going for a sword next, and either a mage staff or a gun (I've got a pretty decent mob of machinists and sharpshooters but a mage stick is a mage stick).

Speaking of the Type 0 dagger it's actually a really good pick from the realm artifacts and even those waiting for the elemental artifacts might consider it. White Mages never care about elemental bonuses unless you are using one of the offensive USBs. As such the artifact dagger becomes a huge shiv that will likely out value any other relic in raw MND even after realm synergy and since it's a dagger every single character can use it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah, and I actually have Galuf's BSB2 also, so I'm not sure which one is a better choice. Meliadoul's USB looks stronger to me, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try it both ways. And yeah, I have OK's LMR too.

Good luck. This was the first 5* that I really had to dissect and figure out the perfect combination of 40 actions to beat--also chainless. It takes a ton of patience, tweaking and tinkering.

Personally I relied on Tifa (USB2, BSB2) and Kelgar (USB, BSB) with Cinque (BSB, LMR) to break enrage. Oddly, despite my expectations, Tifa's USB is barely even used and she's mostly an imperiler. Basically you have to start thinking outside the box because Quetzalcoatl is a bitch.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

How the hell did you guys end up with so many relics? I've got like 200 rainbow shards after clearing out my vault, and I could probably get like 50 more if I wanted to mulch the edge case stuff that I'll realistically never use. I've been playing off and on for like 3 years and I had 600 vault slots, how the hell are people getting 4+ times as many shards?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
So how vital is Magicite Inheritance on the 5* fights? I don't really want to bother putting effort into 4* magicite if I can get my foot in the door and just start inheriting onto 5* instead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Definitely go with Mel. The -50% DEF/MAG/RES debuff gives you 8.5% more damage dealt and 10.8% less magic damage taken.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How the hell did you guys end up with so many relics? I've got like 200 rainbow shards after clearing out my vault, and I could probably get like 50 more if I wanted to mulch the edge case stuff that I'll realistically never use. I've been playing off and on for like 3 years and I had 600 vault slots, how the hell are people getting 4+ times as many shards?
There's a surprising amount of stuff you probably have that's just not useful enough to keep. Have any 5* weapons or armor with no riders, even from synergy? Scrap them. Have any accessories that only grant stat boosts? Scrap them unless they're really good (+30 or +35) and only keep a few. Have any accessories that only resist one effect? Consider scrapping them, unless they grant major resistance and/or you can't reach a full set of 5 otherwise. How much do you have left between your inventory and vault? I went from 180/800 (really lean on the former) to 150/250.

You don't necessarily need to subject absolutely everything to these rules, especially if a given realm turns out to be really light on something, but keep in mind that the rewards from Rainbow Shards covereth a multitude of sins. If a given realm only has one major hole that needs to be filled, like a dagger for physical characters or whatever suits your relevant magical characters, consider allocating an artifact there. Each one is pretty good for future-proofing.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Sesq posted:

So how vital is Magicite Inheritance on the 5* fights? I don't really want to bother putting effort into 4* magicite if I can get my foot in the door and just start inheriting onto 5* instead.

pretty vital unforunately, I couldn't survive 5* until i went back and got blade ward/spell ward on some slots

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Inheriting from 4* isn't that bad anyway because you can inherit inherited passives. Like if you have an Evrae with an inherited Health Boon, you can inherit that onto whatever you feed the Evrae to. Inheritance XP carries over as well.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

since the announcement I've been saving every relic instead of combining, and starting last fest i started saving 1-4* trash in the vault too, altho those are only worth ~4 shards per 20 so realistically it was probably like 20 shards from doing that. But started playing last christmas and ended up with almost 800 shards - maybe I just sharded more stuff? basically every weapon that wasn't 6* +element got tossed, and most of the 5* armor without element resist/boost did too, even unneeded accessories got tossed. Down to ~210 relics in the inventory and another 50 still in the vault

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Indecisive posted:

since the announcement I've been saving every relic instead of combining, and starting last fest i started saving 1-4* trash in the vault too, altho those are only worth ~4 shards per 20 so realistically it was probably like 20 shards from doing that. But started playing last christmas and ended up with almost 800 shards - maybe I just sharded more stuff? basically every weapon that wasn't 6* +element got tossed, and most of the 5* armor without element resist/boost did too, even unneeded accessories got tossed. Down to ~210 relics in the inventory and another 50 still in the vault

I do have a bunch of armor I could break down - is there really any conceivable situation in which the defensive stats from synergy boosted armor are worth bringing it over a piece of armor with a relevant enelement? If not, I have a ton of armor I can trash.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

I do have a bunch of armor I could break down - is there really any conceivable situation in which the defensive stats from synergy boosted armor are worth bringing it over a piece of armor with a relevant enelement? If not, I have a ton of armor I can trash.

No.

If the armor isn't +element or reforgable to 7* or 8* mulch it.

Realm synergy hasn't been relevant for over a year.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’ve never thrown away anything 5* regardless of what it is so if i ever buckle down and start throwing it all into the woodchipper i’ll probably come out pretty well off

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Oh I also had literally 17 +holy swords so I kept the 5 with the highest ATK, Rosetta'd all 5, and mulched the rest.

You can do that for every combination of +element and weapon or armor type too. You can't have more than 5 total +water robes or +fire fists or +lightning rods on a team so chuck any excess.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh I also had literally 17 +holy swords so I kept the 5 with the highest ATK, Rosetta'd all 5, and mulched the rest.

You can do that for every combination of +element and weapon or armor type too. You can't have more than 5 total +water robes or +fire fists or +lightning rods on a team so chuck any excess.

Less than that, really - depending on the team you only need 2-4. I had 4 copies of lightnings AOSB sword and made one of them 8* because I am always going to have 2 machinists on the team who want guns anyway (prompto + King). Holy phys is pretty sword heavy sure but you still only need 4 (unless you go all in and have Pecil's paladin wall as your heals). Doesn't matter how many fire fists you have if you're not using a monk on your magicite team either, toss all but 1 or 2.

Armor you can be a bit more free about keeping - +element is still the goal but sometimes you want the defensive stats for your healer. Don't need to keep a full set of realm stuff for each torment but a couple good pieces per realm wouldn't be the worst to keep.

Don't feel pressured to trash a huge amount of stuff tho, there's no rush to max a ton of artifacts, you can get by with minimal investment and they'll still be nice upgrades from your old gear even with only 4-10 crystals used.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda feel bad for the artifacts no sane person is ever gonna take, like the FF4 whip in lieu of the FF4 rod, or pretty much any hammer

EDIT: oh is there a way to rainbow crystal poo poo from the vault, or do I have to migrate it all to my inventory and then do it? because my inventory is mostly stuff I want and the vault is mostly stuff I don't care about, which is why I vaulted it, which is p annoying

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Indecisive posted:

Less than that, really - depending on the team you only need 2-4. I had 4 copies of lightnings AOSB sword and made one of them 8* because I am always going to have 2 machinists on the team who want guns anyway (prompto + King). Holy phys is pretty sword heavy sure but you still only need 4 (unless you go all in and have Pecil's paladin wall as your heals). Doesn't matter how many fire fists you have if you're not using a monk on your magicite team either, toss all but 1 or 2.

Armor you can be a bit more free about keeping - +element is still the goal but sometimes you want the defensive stats for your healer. Don't need to keep a full set of realm stuff for each torment but a couple good pieces per realm wouldn't be the worst to keep.

Don't feel pressured to trash a huge amount of stuff tho, there's no rush to max a ton of artifacts, you can get by with minimal investment and they'll still be nice upgrades from your old gear even with only 4-10 crystals used.

Oh I know. 5 of each was me being conservative :v:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

EDIT: oh is there a way to rainbow crystal poo poo from the vault, or do I have to migrate it all to my inventory and then do it? because my inventory is mostly stuff I want and the vault is mostly stuff I don't care about, which is why I vaulted it, which is p annoying

Hahahahahahaha NO!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

In lieu of seeing some friends go in on artifacts just for pure character biases rather than logic I decided to spend a stone on my most stacked character at the moment.

I only have 14 magia points invested in his MAG and I'm already liking this stupidity. He's gonna go to town on the torment dungeon if nothing else.

I'm mostly just excited for when they reset the Full Throttle relic draw because the XIV set will include his AOSB + USB which are the last things I'm missing for him. The Spiciest Potato.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

In lieu of seeing some friends go in on artifacts just for pure character biases rather than logic I decided to spend a stone on my most stacked character at the moment.

the moment this whack-rear end game hands me a balthier usb or awakening I'm buying the XII fomalhaut

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Twofer today, a dupe Decil BSB and Barbaricca's BSB. Latter isn't terrible, former gives me a + on a +dark sword so less awful than most dupes.

That said sometime in the near future I need to take a good look at all my crap and cull out redundant garbage.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I kinda feel bad for the artifacts no sane person is ever gonna take, like the FF4 whip in lieu of the FF4 rod, or pretty much any hammer

If I get Rydia's AASB (and I'm going to try pretty hard) she can have her whip :colbert: once I'm done getting elemental artifacts

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Dear game:

There are more relics for FF4 than Pecil's AOSB and I would like to have some of them please. I already have an 8* Pecil AOSB sword so thank you for the rainbow crystals I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

I finally got the Chicken Knife from the luck of the realms draw, so now I can finally harness the power of Butz.