Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Whats the easiest 220+ Event to do for AA book 9? Tried event Emerald, got immediately hit for 9999 to everyone and wasted in a single turn. Everyone seems to get destroyed in raids as well.

The weapon fights are kinda intended for older players, not saying you CAN'T do it, the 220's are definitely manageable, but they're perhaps more intense than a 'normal' 220. I'd suggest the FF4 event that's going right now, Triumph over Darkness, the 220 fight is the Magus Sisters. I just overpowered it but I've heard that you can RW one of Celes' "Runic" soul breaks (preferrably USB) to mostly trivialize it (or Exdeath's Neo Grand Cross which has a similar effect).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Assuming you aren't loaded with mythril I would just aim for one pull on each fest banner, maybe a 2nd pull if you get a bad roll if you feel like it. I don't think there's anything in the immediate future you NEED to save for, though FFTactics banner coming in a week or so could be a good thing to look forward to with some very good holy + healing stuff

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

A surfing dog?! posted:

Should I grab Y'shtola's Healer's Circlet for Asylum even if I have plenty of FFXIV armor/robes etc? I'm considering Vanille's Mistilteinn for Transcendent Dream, and I currently don't have a FFXIII mind weapon. It'd be nice to give Y'shtola a new medica since she already has a Wall, but I could probably get a roaming warrior for Wall or something. I could also grab the Wizer Rod for Aerith since I somehow never got a mind weapon for FFVII, but Asylum and Transcendent Dream seem like they're more useful than White Materia.

For Book 6 I'd suggest one with an instant cure on command 1, Vanille's is one of the worst sadly because it's pretty damage oriented. Larsa + Iris are good choices because they provide Astra, which prevents the next status effect on the party and can be very useful for certain fights, and astra is very uncommon. Or Deuce, her BSB provides a party atk/mag buff which gives you more flexibility in teambuilding, especially for mage teams where you often need two sources of mag buffs to maximize your power.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

on an unrelated note does anyone have a link to the list of answers for the current trivia game? i’m sitting out in the sun on my porch and it seems as good a time to knock those out as any but i literally know nothing about final fantasy games except that i think one has a guy called greg

As usual the reddits got ya covered: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/8tmowu/quiz_dungeons_cheat_sheets_summer_sun_festival/

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Last fest I got boned by the water banner, 3 pulls with no good water gear, lets see if this one can remedy it

ACCEPTABLE

the LMR is tidus' only enwater so i guess i'll just have to hope he + yuffie can kill maliris quickfastly

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Last time, I got 2x Locke Dagger, this time, 2x Rikku Targe. The only use for dupes is to feed them to an existing copy to increase the power of it, right?

Yes, sadly. Well, if the relic is good enough you can keep 2 copies of it in case you want multiple people to equip it, but in general the only reason to do that is with gear that boosts elemental damage, since those are semi-rare.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Indecisive posted:

the LMR is tidus' only enwater so i guess i'll just have to hope he + yuffie can kill maliris quickfastly

... yeah, it was plenty.

Literally my first attempt so my execution was bad, entrusted way too much to tidus and elarra had no meter to heal with, but drat I wasn't expecting it to go THIS well

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Colgate posted:

I'm pretty new and it feels like I have a lot of pieces for something but I'm not quite sure how they all fit together.

I pulled on the recent festival banner 4 and got Squall's AOSB, Glint and BSB2 (as well as Tidus' USB and Glint). Do I try building around water/ice when worrying about elements is a thing? Just to know ahead of time that I should aim for this type of banner.

My healing options are pretty slim too, and I made some poor choices before, so all I really have to work with is Porom and her USB. Is there anything there I should aim for getting?

For most high level fights you'll want a team based on one element and you want to bring 2-3 people of that element (usually but not always sticking to either physical or magical - hybrid teams are tougher to make work), 1 buffer/support, and 1 healer (and possibly 1 debuffer/utility slot). You definitely have one very good person each for ice and water but you'll partners for them eventually - getting a good spellblade USB like Bartz or Celes can help in that regards as spellblades can do solid damage in many elements. There IS a FFV event coming up near the end of July I think where you could try for Bartz stuff which you might want to save up to make a few pulls on. Don't feel pressured too hard to focus on these 2 elements though - even a single good DPS can be enough for a lot of fights, so if you want to try Banner 5 for Lightning/Earth stuffs feel free.

As for healing stuff, that's harder to plan specifically for since there's usually at best one healer with ~2 relics on any given banner and you want to aim for good instant cast USB's or strong BSB's - Porom USB isn't awful, it's just not amazing since one of it's benefits is Reraise which isn't a very good effect. Instant last stand is still great to have though and it should be usable for now. The only other healer USB's coming up soon are Selphie and Ovelia and they are both instant last stand also, so they would be small upgrades, and Lenna USB2 on the Bartz banner which is non-instant last stand + stoneskin, so probably worse than Porom's.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Please rate my loot.
From what I gathered while trying to find out what each thingy was, it looks like I should build a Fire team...

Ovelia's is a very solid healer USB, sadly she's kinda limited in what utility stuff she can do but she'll be a good healer for you. Mage teams generally want 2 stacking mag buffs, so with Serah's SSB + Onion Knight mUSB, you have the buffs to make a solid mage team, and Maria BSB is a very strong Earth mage tool (which are pretty rare). That Tidus BSB isn't terribly strong on it's own, but will become extremely useful if you get more powerful stuff for him. And yea with Gilgamesh chain + Locke USB + CidXIV USB you can probably do some very strong fire things. Cloud's USB2 there is solid as well, if not particularly overpowered by itself. Aeris will probably be an acceptable healer for content below the top-level stuff. The rest is pretty unremarkable I think, some good LMR's but without soul breaks to use an LMR alone isn't really enough reason to use someone. Tifa Glint will at least make her your top monk for now, and will probably help her do good damage with just monk skills.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

IDK if anyone did a full banner review but I agree banner 5 is very good, Garnet chain is the prize obviously but Tifa / Ashe's USB's are amazing and the AOSBs are obviously very strong boss finishers but might not be good enough on their own. The BSB's are also all good ones if you dont have them already, the LMR/11 risk is ever-present of course but with only 3 lmr's its unlikely.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

If you'd like to see the banners, start here (banner 1) and use the 'next' button near the top to move to the further banners. IMO it seems alright for a single-element banner, I'll almost certainly be pulling once or twice when it comes. The exact details of the banner will probably change anyway.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I've just unlocked magicites and honestly, what on earth do they want from me? Lightning's probably my strongest element so I went in the water one and got most of my team flattened by 8k damage spells before I could even get Godwall going. After plinking at it for 1000 damage a hit a few times everyone was dead. What is it demanding of me? I don't have 5x every element resist accessories for everyone, because I haven't been playing since the beginning of time itself.

I later tried the ice one after and got it to about 33% before wiping, mostly through Vincent's damage reflect.

Am I supposed to be running two healers, because that feels like the only feasible way to keep everyone standing. It takes 3x 30% Faith buffs to get Terra to do over 5k damage a hit. Godwall and 2 Medicas per turn might just keep everyone upright, assuming I can maintain them indefinitely. It'd be a million year battle without huge buffs though. The only other thing I can think of is dropping the Terra/Vivi damage dealer idea and grinding up Gilgamesh and Sabin or Locke to 99. Gilgamesh has his chain, and I have numerous things for the other two. Certainly a USB each at least.

I know this is one of the thing where getting a foot on the ladder is the hardest part, since you can leverage each magicite against the next, but god drat.

You 100% need wall, haste, and either a 50% atk boost or 2 30% mag boosts (depending on team makeup) minimum for every magicite, beyond that shell/protect are semi-optional depending on the fight - shell is the more commonly necessary one, personally I don't think I've brought protect to a single magicite yet (but I'm not done with 4*'s). The healing requirements are tough, I almost always have the healer start with a bar ready to medica away the opening aoe damage. Having someone with IC3 (starts with haste and 3 charges of instacast) from their legend dive is AMAZING for getting wall up in time, such as Shelke or Orlando or Ace or like a dozen other people. Shelke is a common choice for magicite since she is a high powered entrust bot with 0 relics, and entrusting strategies can help with the high healing requirements, letting you do big party heals more often.

Also, I know it's not what you want to hear, but having elemental resist accessories IS kinda required for everybody - some people with higher hp + defense stats might get by without, but they'll take significantly more damage and put more pressure on the healer. At the very least, you have the full set of major resist ones from the Nightmare dungeons, those should go on the lowest HP party member generally. Bismark, the water magicite is particularly nasty to start with because he has higher than average AOE damage and in multiple elements so it's impossible to gear to resist it all, he's definitely a shell mandatory one. Don't feel like you have to rush to beat them though, they're not going anywhere and the more events that pass mean the more accessories you'll collect, before long you'll have plenty for every element.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm having trouble with Kraken. I've sub-30'd Ixion and have a bunch of lv99 4* lightning magicite so I'm boosted as much as I'm gonna ever be and still can't crack it.

if you want the least exciting possible, just bring that TGC instead of garnet and have him churn out those OSB's, prevents you from eating so many counterattacks. If aphmau can keep you up the extra instacasts she provides should help for the sub30. I did basically this strategy with King instead of Lightning, should be pretty comparable I'm guessing. I only barely hit sub30 though.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

DaddyBigBucks posted:

Awesome. Thank you.

EDIT: Should I stop diving with Onion Knight, seems like he is not worthy of the motes right now.

his dive is essential to make him usable, depends what you have for him. I think I saw you have his OSB+SSB? probably not worth with just that, his good stuff is the buffs like BSB + USBs

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Bartz stuff is always good and galufchain is a thing but you got lenna stuff which is blah. I've heard some people be down on the FFT banner 1 but I think it's quite good, especially if you need holy or healing, *3* chances at an ovelia medica. If you're looking at 4 pulls I definitely wouldn't feel bad about doing 1 or 2 on this banner. Montblanc's stuff is pretty meh but he's a decent dancer for a mage team.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The dungeon rewards were revamped a few months ago, unfortunately if you've already completed the dungeon you can't go back and re-complete it to get the new rewards, so you're out of luck as far as getting the characters you missed for 'free'. The new rewards are mostly aimed at getting brand new players caught up more quickly. You should have been gifted a chunk of orbs + crystals when you logged back in for the first time since the revamp I think to partly make up for what you missed, unless it's been too long since the revamp for that to trigger maybe?

Either way, if you start playing again regularly though you'll quickly collect a ton of free souls + memory crystal 1 + 2's from weekly events, and be able to unlock anyone you want up to level 80. The game isn't shy about giving that stuff away, and nothing you could have missed is really important. If you feel like it you could start over on a fresh account and re-do everything and basically 'reset' all the dungeon mythril you got previously to spend on newer, better banners, but that's not necessary or anything.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

My only real complaint with the game since returning is that my Nexus 6P gets pretty hot and throttles down to the point that loading takes almost twice as long. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to try and play in an Android emulator on my PC instead. All of the Android emus I've found look super fishy and have ads though.

Yeah I play on an emulator since I don't have a phone that can handle it, right now I'm Nox which, well, does have ads, but it seems pretty benign (not sure I'd plug a credit card into it tho). Leapdroid also works, and doesn't have ads that I can tell, I can't remember why I switched to Nox but I do like Nox a bit better, maybe if I dug into the settings Leapdroid can do the same stuff idk.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

2/11 galuf LMR, Krile LMR

god drat this is a cursed rear end banner

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I really wish they would publish exact drop rates for banners, this is like the last gacha game (that I've played) that still hasn't done it. I refuse to believe LMR's are not way more common than other poo poo

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Alxprit posted:

My only source of enwater on Tidus is his LMR. :smith:

Same! thankfully it is enough for me for now, I definitely want to get a way to renew it for longer fights tho. For Yuffie I'm stuck with her BSB1 which often isnt worth it

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

I hate this wall. I can't get more than 13 pushbacks using both a chain and imperils. I even used an exact team from reddit and couldn't do it. I assume it was my poor execution.

Between this and Hades I'm really discouraged lately :negative:

Don't feel pressured to complete absolutely everything always, some things might be too difficult for you with what you have and that's OK, it's a gatcha game, they push that difficulty to try to get you to spend. It's not worth stressing out over. I got the 2nd lowest reward for the wall and that's cool, poo poo is annoying as gently caress so screw it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

poe meater posted:

Can it alone replace my wakka USB imperil bot? Or is she more of a second dps?

LD yuffie with just BSB and r2 (r3 preferred) ninja skills is a solid water dps, and becomes a monster with a chain. Ninja skills are broken as hell in a fight where you aren't losing evasion stacks often

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

poe meater posted:

Thanks for the yuffie info, I had just enough to dive her. Are there any recommended abilities? Or do I use her bsb commands like squall?

No, you need the ninja skills - Raging Water and something else Reflecting pool maybe, both 5*'s deep in the misc jumble tab on the far right. You get 2 stacks of the evasion skill then spam Raging Waters

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

poe meater posted:

I need some info and guidance on the nightmare dungeons. I'm not sure how to approach the dungeons that require magic/summon damage or counter physical attacks.

I only have bsbs and rydias osb as magic damage. The strongest from what I can tell would be rydia with her Earth and water bsbs and osb. I also have papylamos 3-6 hit fire bsb. Are the dungeons doable with this? Doesn't seem like it, but I dunno.

The Nightmares were released very early, high end characters were level 80, and before a lot of the current 5* skills even existed, and the ones that did exist were much less powerful (less hits, less potency, etc), and USB's didn't exist. BSB's are plenty strong enough for them. Many can be cheesed out with an appropriate USB/BSB, though for some you will actually have to hold back damage to work around the scripted parts of the fight to earn mastery.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Sadly I cannot pull, only thing I give a poo poo about on the banner is firechain and chances of that are nil so I'll wait for fest at this point, nothing else coming up is very tempting at all. Hard to believe it's coming up so soon, end of September I think, the last fest doesn't feel that long ago.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

pecil bsb1 / 11

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ff1 banner lookin good, and wol isn't a potato anymore

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

I have 1k Gems. As a returning player, I should throw half of them at this, right?

pretty much, these 5 dollar pulls are the only thing worth spending on in this game.

I pulled on the 'wonderous' banner, got Yuffie SSB and Nine BSB, meh. Picked up Ashe BSB from the selection, to give me a way to use her AOSB effectively (and its mage +lit gear)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Agent355 posted:

okay neat. When you say USB/OSB you mean specifically the limit break or w/e it's called and not just the normal hit portion right? I don't even have nine but I can buy him with soul orbs I suppose.

equipment is all functionally similar, just stat sticks that occasionally boost elemental damage. USB / OSB / etc refers to the type of Soul Break that a character learns from the equipment - once it is mastered they can use it regardless of what equipment they are using. Soul breaks (particularly USBs) often make up a huge portion of your characters damage / utility.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

start saving your hoards

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

A surfing dog?! posted:

Still no daily above 4* and Y'shtola's USB! That's a good one right? I always hear about how amazing it is from everyone, and I didn't just get more trash.

I'm sorry to say any praise you've heard of Y'shtola USB is sarcasm, it's possibly the worst USB in the game

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Shoenin posted:

If we get Olberic's sword, do we at least get to hear MY BLADE IS UNBENDING

No but your vault space will shrink by 1

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

thinking about it I should probably stop combining the terrible ROP dupes and save them for legendary weapons.. but bank space..

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Sorry guys, I won the realms on parade this time

(1st world problem, my phys fire is garbage.. my top DPS might be king off-elementing to dualcast fire snipes)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Almost all my skills stay at r3 (for now anyway), r4/5 is for specific people with hone hungry doublecasts like Orlando and King

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

MF_James posted:

I'll probably just have to give them a few more gos to really understand timings etc before I ask for more specific advice; I was mostly trying to get a general idea of how people were approaching them to start with.

I've been lazy and haven't finished all the 4*'s (im halfway done with them), but so far 90% of my magicite teams have been 2 dps, shelke + onion knight doing entrusts and OK buffing with SB, and a healer - Deuce with BSB for magic ones usually for the 2nd mag buff, and deuce bringing shell or protect as needed to go with the wall RW. This will change eventually and frankly 2 entrusters is pretty overkill most of the time, since realistically you only need ~3 bars entrusted to dps and the rest for healing, and even then there's ways around it, for example you could use Orlando's RM to give fastcast to your healer which for most fights will let you heal enough until they can use their SB naturally. I've done that for teams where I had a chainer in the Onion Knight spot.

Really though, magicite fights are ones you have to go into EXPECTING to fail a bit to start while you learn them. Find out what's killing you, try to adapt to that, then focus on maximizing your damage so you kill them as fast as possible.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Don't worry about having to do the raids with a party. They're more than doable solo.

Eventually, but a new player will definitely have an easier time putting together 2 decent characters than a full level 99 team with appropriate elements and skills and buffs. You can probably find people on the discord willing to carry you through the fights though if you want to try them out. MP in this game is.. a neat idea, and when it works well its fun, but the implementation isnt perfect by any means. At least the fights aren't usually terribly hard.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

stab posted:

Finally got elarras usb on my 2nd pull yay

Does this replace arc with his pblink or yuna/penelo last stand

Help me goons

elarra is basically the only healer you need now

(not ENTIRELY true but close)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Are roaming warriors once per day or something? It seems like the more I play the deeper I have to dig to find a godwall (pretty much the only RW I actually use).

Yep, that's why you need to friend a bunch of people with the same RW so you have enough to use each day. My list is like 15+ godwalls and 15+ shadow bsb's and not much else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

From BSB only to MEGA SHANTOTTO in 2 pulls. Wish I got the MAG chain instead but it's still a great end to the fest! Did pretty well for only having 3 pulls total.