Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've lost track. After today's 20 mythril (plus the ones from quizzes) are we expecting any more major mythril infusions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Froghammer posted:

Does offensive white magic key off of Magic or Mind? I'm trying to make Rem work and it's kind of pertinent

Same question for summoners. I assume magic but there's a lot of overlap between summoner and healers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

on an unrelated note does anyone have a link to the list of answers for the current trivia game? i’m sitting out in the sun on my porch and it seems as good a time to knock those out as any but i literally know nothing about final fantasy games except that i think one has a guy called greg

About 80% of these questions have been things from the part of the games recreated in the record dungeons. I've never played 13 and I aced that one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That's a tough one. OK with both USBs is gonna be a staple in a lot of parties, but generally if you need to bring Godwall you want it up ASAP, so an LMR for him could bean getting to stick the Thunder God RM on someone else.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Ah, to clarify, the 8k damage was from Bismarck's spells, not Sealion. I tried him first, then moved on. Yeah, I'm always on Speed 1 for anything above 160. Maybe I'm just misremembering something. I'll get back to him eventually I suppose.

Bismark's gimmick, aside from multielement spells when most magicites go all-in on one, is that it doesn't ramp up like the others. Most of the others rely on a move that imperils your party to their element as a "soft enrage" from 30 seconds on. On the one hand, this means that if you can survive the start of Bismark you can keep surviving. On the other hand, this means that there's no grace period to get things together.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

General consideration to give to things:
--3* motes: common as muck, not much of a stat boost. You may be a little short if you're just starting but these come from all over the place and in large amounts. Feel free to stick them into anyone you use for anything, but don't expect it to do much.
--4* motes: they come in pretty easily when you tackle higher content, and there's a mote dungeon that cycles through them to get more, but you'll often be low on one of the five. Main thing to look for here is characters that gain access to more abilities (for example Lightning gets Spellblade access so she actually has a lightning skill), other than that you'll find bigger stat boosts or percentage-based (3% dragoon skills, or 3% spear damage). After a fest or two (big events every 3 months that tend to have giveaways, such as the one that just ended) you'll have a bunch of these, and can pretty much spend them on anyone who's going in your main teams.
--5* motes: this is the big one. Everyone takes 100 motes of two different types to fully dive, and the rewards can be quite good. You're generally getting 30-ish to some stats, 10% damage, and a couple of legend materia. These motes are the rarest though, and some people's dives are a lot better than others. So check around before you spend them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If it worth me burning off some myth for stamina to clear all the torments now, before they go away? I suspect it could be some time before we ever see them again?

Have you already chugged the stamina potions from the fat chocobo shop? That's 400 stam for 1200 greens, refreshed every Wednesday but not mentioned in announcements because DeNA hates people.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

As far as raw boss difficulty goes, FF11 has bad synergy and a whole lot of status effect shenanigans, FFT and FF3 are both damage races with elements the game expects you to have absurd amounts of, and FF2 is high-octane damage sponging. The gigases don't really have a lot of gimmicks, they just poo poo out a whole bunch of damage relatively quick.

FFT also has about twice the HP he ought to. Only Jumpstart where hones were an actual issue for me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Most of these jumpstarts have been powercrept so hard that I think the only difficult part of my cleanup (looks like I only missed two) will be remembering to get the right debuffs on them before they explode.

Ooo, a JSB against that iconic FF11 enemy: generic lich.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 9, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cloud USB, Papalymo OSB, Aphinaud SSB.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Prav posted:

we've got the wind quadstrike now, but yeah cloud has really lovely ability access for his element and LM

"Oh, I got Cloud's USB. Nothing else for Cloud but I guess I can dive him for doublecast combat and use him as another NE guy alongside Vaan and Noctis. Sure both he and Noct use Combat but I can have one use Omega Drive and the other use... um... anything there?"

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 11, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Announcements says NuTorments are up, I don't see em.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

its not ideal but if you can get enough bar with noctis to be using his SSB often you can use full charge as a pseudo omega drive.

I don't have Noct's SSB, he does Armiger Omega Drives.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I really like the 260 Elmdor fight. There are a lot of moving parts, but that gives multiple ways to approach it and the feel of the fight shifts as you take out the pieces. It's a grind but it's an interesting grind, a lot of the 260 fights have felt more like rocket tag.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Lenna's new USB that's coming in the next event.

That's it!

Did this game get swapped with Brave Exvius when nobody was looking?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Most of the FFV ones are "here's half of a cave where you fight two battles. Now have the other half where you fight a boss." With nine FFV stages I thought we'd get to Karnak, not barely make it out of the ship graveyard.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shoenin posted:

-Made it possible to select the number of Souls of Heroes, Memory Crystal Lodes, and Memory Crystal II Lodes to trade for Greater Growth Eggs or Major Growth Eggs at the Hall of Rights

That is one of the greatest QoL updates the game has ever done

125 souls of hero, 73 crystal I, 81 crystal II. I was waiting for this day. Also dang I've gotten 90 Crystal III, which is enough for half of the guys I have left to use them on. I really need to stop viewing them as "only for the guys who REALLY deserve it" and throw them on anyone who has a good relic I might use someday.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

MC3s have been plentiful enough since their introduction that if you didn't miss one you only have 30 characters left at 80. (Plus or minus 1, apparently.) Growth eggs have also not been in short supply, so you can likely throw them at several level 80s to quickly level them without the need to grind on Sundays.

Yeah. I started playing late (~ 9 months ago, now, so earlier than the current newbies) but those catch-up dungeons have given me an amazing glut of them recently. I just need to get over my own resource-starved mentality.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bartz Glint and En-Wind BSB, Galuf LMR, and Lenna USB out of three pulls (FFV fanboy here). None of them dupes and the glint is fire+ armor, so I'll call it a win.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zernach posted:

So I just started and am now sitting on 25 mythril, what banner should I click? I tried to read the last few pages but it was just gibberish to me :confused:.

Don't pull on the newcomer banners. They're overloaded with old and outdated relics. You might get something cool, but you're just as likely to get some old unique that isn't worth the electrons it's printed on. And the old stuff that IS useful can be gotten from the newcomer quests, they offer a choice of relics as you go through (that may be overwhelming to a newbie but at least it's a choice not random)

As far as the other ones, some are better than others (Bartz on the FFV banner for example is a strong character who just got some new stuff that compliments him well) but if you're just starting out you can pull for what looks neat or your favorite realms and be happy. Aside from a couple of outliers everything on the new banners is good, or at least good enough, if you're not trying to immediately pursue whale content.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 29, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I can't stay away, FFV is my waifu game so with 7/14 already on the banner I pulled for a fourth time. Galuf LMR (my first dupe pull of the banner), and his 150Chain! Woop Woop.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Alright. I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Edit: OK, Necrophobe is a no-go since his barriers keep me from targeting him, and I can't take them down, but clowning Gilgamesh with my own Gil worked fine! Thanks again!

Will this also work for Crystal Tower and/or The Looming Wall?

For Necrophobe look for a RW with an AoE. Shadow BSB is a popular one because after his entry it gives en-dark and instant (CMD1)/fast-cast AoE (CMD2) commands, which can really spit out some damage even on underleveled folks.

Other notable RWs:
Orlandeau OSB: this was the main one for carrying events before AOSBs became a thing. It's a high damage hit and then gives Thunder God, which is haste for the part of the bar that fills after you pick an ability.
Tyro USB: Godwall. Haste, protect, shell, and 100% def/res boosts that stack with proshell. This is every defensive buff in one package. Probably better to go for RWs that help you kill faster, but know this exists otherwise the damage at heigher tiers will seem unsurmountable.
Various BSBs: in the top tier meta these things have gotten pretty powercrept, but the BSB commands may be better than other skills you currently have access to and they sometimes give en-element as a rider along with an innate attack boost and haste that come from Burst Mode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MF_James posted:

Are the ninja dark abilities good? I'm going to have a lot of trouble pulling together DPS for 3* dark magicite, I'll have to check what I've got vaulted and stuff but all I can think of off the top of my head is Orleandu BSB, Sipher chain with his... SSB..., and maybe a thing for golbez. So I might end up honing the ninja stuff up and slap it on yuffie or edge if it's useful, despite not having an SB to back them.

Yuffie Edge and Shadow don't need any SB to be good. Their doublecast dive combos with strong ninja attacks that build well off multicast procs. Particularly with a chain.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MF_James posted:

Ouch that bomb fight hurts, I'm rolling:

OK (pUSB+break)
Tidus (AOSB, USB, glint) except I don't have sapphire shot so I'm using lifesiphon
yuffie USB2/BSB2 water ninja stuff she's fully LD'd
edge USB/BSB fully LD'd water ninja stuff
selphie USB for last stand.

I'm thinking of dropping tidus for entrust bot (I'd probably use tyro and use waterchain RW) since I don't have water skills for him. I've got enough hones on one set of water ninja stuff to last the whole fight so I have edge with those and yuffie uses BSB2 for imperil water and to get hones back on my less honed water ninja stuff.

Also note that all enemies enter the fight hasted. I haven't cracked it yet myself but dispelling that is probably handy if you can fit it in.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

They also all have 600+ SPD, so most of their turns won't be filling up ATBs so much as cast times. It's perfectly skippable, like nearly any instance of enemy haste outside multiplayer.

Ah, okay. The time I brought Dispel seemed to go a lot better so I assumed that was it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Golbez USB (dupe), Rosa USB (meh, though I'm sure a basic heal+stock+mblink is useful in some fight that hasn't gone all NAT), Ramza BSB2 (dupe), and PCecil LMR (meh but +holy as if I needed more)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

Blink effects are a lot more applicable than stuff like Draw Fire/Grand Cross because they actually care about relevant NAT attacks. While they don't cover everything, they do still hit most of what you'll care about. Pblink works against PHY and NAT attacks that deal physical damage, PHY attacks that deal fixed or missing health damage, or NAT gravity damage. Mblink instead works against anything except PHY or NIN that deals magical damage, missing health damage, or gravity damage. (Dual blink/Shield works against anything in either category and gets checked later on the priority list.) So between them the only things that aren't affected are weird edge cases like NIN attacks (very rare even for defense-piercing attacks), non-PHY fixed damage, or abilities explicitly coded to ignore blinks. Odds are that if the last category is showing up on a boss, it's not the end of the world because you're supposed to tank it/block it in some other way like Last Stand or HP Stock/diminish its effect with attack debuffs/deal with it and move on because it's part of the boss gimmick like with Ruby Weapon.

I didn't realize that, I thought they had the Runic issue. That definitely makes it handy to have in the toolkit, and looking at it again I think it's my first instant medica USB.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah. People talk up how "easy" JSBs are now, and for endgamers that's true even of the tricky ones, but some are definitely easier than others. I honestly wish I could recall which ones to point y'all toward.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

Perhaps ironically, I'm so loaded on lightning stuff that I'm only a little bit short of doing the FF15 JS. Many of the others want things I don't have at the moment.

That's the other factor. Bartz was my first strong character and has great elemental coverage, so I had a solid core to build a lot of teams around even if other folks weren't optimal. Lightning and dark have been my weak spots for a while, though not nearly as weak as they used to be.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

poe meater posted:

I need some info and guidance on the nightmare dungeons. I'm not sure how to approach the dungeons that require magic/summon damage or counter physical attacks.

I only have bsbs and rydias osb as magic damage. The strongest from what I can tell would be rydia with her Earth and water bsbs and osb. I also have papylamos 3-6 hit fire bsb. Are the dungeons doable with this? Doesn't seem like it, but I dunno.

You'll probably need to craft some chain -ga spells too, but likely doable. Depends more on the level of the folks involved, Nightmares were made when 80 was the cap so they're pretty easily power crept now.

Main thing is Valigarmanda, that one's a puzzle boss and you're going to need at least people able to cast Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh..

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Indecisive posted:

The Nightmares were released very early, high end characters were level 80, and before a lot of the current 5* skills even existed, and the ones that did exist were much less powerful (less hits, less potency, etc), and USB's didn't exist. BSB's are plenty strong enough for them. Many can be cheesed out with an appropriate USB/BSB, though for some you will actually have to hold back damage to work around the scripted parts of the fight to earn mastery.

Yeah I was thinking more in terms of mastery because that's how I tried to tackle them first time when I started (I have this *thing* about leaving stuff unfinished, 100% first time even if the reward's junk). Brute forcing almost all of them is very doable these days.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That spar with Seifer is incredibly tight. When I unlocked it at 29 I couldn't win, and at 31 I just barely did. Is there a way to egg these guys up to 40 or just grinding a smidge at a time?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

The side battle with Seifer is actually the best place to grind. But if you're having issues with it there's an easily exploitable pattern. Seifer's first attack on Tyro (well, front row, but only Tyro is there) will hurt, but his turn 2 Fira is actually 40% current HP (so it won't kill anyone) and his turn 3 attack instead targets Elarra. Turn 4 is AoE Fira at ~600 damage, and turns 5/6 target whoever has the highest proportion of HP. Turn 7 is the rude double-hit AoE but ideally Seifer should be dead by then. So how do you deal with this? On turn 1, have Elarra cast Fat Chocobo and Tyro cast Biora. On turn 2 have Elarra again cast Fat Chocobo and Tyro use Biora Strike. (By now the latter ability should be safe to use with Seifer at or below half health.) It may sound unsafe to go in, guns blazing, but given the AI and your likely stats Seifer is incapable of killing either character before his turn 4 and unlikely to do before his turn 5. This gives you time to push him to 50% HP, and so on their turns 3+ Tyro can attack with Biora Strike (or his SB) while Elarra spams healing.

That's what I did once I realized it was tight enough that I needed both chocobos, but it's still very close. At 29, the level you reach him if you haven't done any grinding before now (or at least the level I reached him) he won't get below half health off the second summon, and the counter messes logistics up. At 31 and 32 the killing blow goes off a fraction of a second before his 7th attack (there's a reason the boss strats say "try using speed 1"). At 33 and up you do enough damage to shave a whole cycle off and it becomes much more comfortable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Dollar Pull? In the words of Ceodore, Huh?

You can single-pull once per banner for 100 gems i.e. a dollar, instead of the usual 300. Don't let people reporting only their good pulls fool you, the odds aren't any better. It's just the smallest step into actually spending money on the game

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Oh. Neat. I've only ever seen a Single For 5 Mythril option. I guess I need to look harder. Thanks!

You can also pay 5 mythril for the single-pull but that isn't any cheaper.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cloud Glint, Hope SSB. Well, one's not bad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

if you haven't looked into them i think all the crystal tower stuff gives out 5* motes too and it is easier(?) than the torment stuff

30 of each if you do all four without backing out. And we get one of those every month or so. Good to go for what you can, but I think fests are still the main source of the things unless the new greens store is VERY generous.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

E: Welp. There's no accounting for netcode, I guess. :v:

FFRK netcode is terrible.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

That means the ROP will start next Friday. Feels like the last festival just ended.

I only have 150 mythril I'm not ready!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Speaking of which...

Not a dupe!

I love that thing. The ability's not bad (imperil wind and debuff), but mainly it's for the dropbear pirates.

Also because the bow's a strong physical ranged weapon. Good to have options, a lot of the ranged stuff I've got is hybrid.