Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I forgot to go back to do at least the Zeromus 220. What was the mystery anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

1/11 Bartz gsb. Not the worst 1/11 possible but my luck has been poo poo recently. Still it's a strong relic though I don't know how well it sticks with USB1.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

My best pull in a while. 5/11 only one dupe and its a very useful ice boost armor.

Decil USB
Hope USB
Sazh lmr
Vanille lmr2
Serah lmr

How good is Decil USB without anything else?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So I decided to tackle the new torments finally, at least for the first two stages of FFT and FFV. I don't have a chance in hell of the D??? Since I'm missing some key relics for every realm.

FFT, nothing crazy, TGCid made it trivial to sub 30.

FFV, holy poo poo Bartz. I RNGed into the sub 30, I don't think I'd be able to do it again with what I have, not easily.

With about 6 seconds to go, Bartz quintuple casted Snowspell strike. With 2 seconds to go he quad casted. It still took one more D&S from Faris to finish it at about 29 seconds.

Giving Bartz LM2, LMR and spellblade DC RM is totally the way to go with these chains. 360k damage in two turns is awesome and clutch as hell.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I believe Alphinaud is a very solid dive, especially if you have any one or two of his relics. For newer players who luck into any of them, dualcasting summons is invaluable into being able to clear the standard difficult content (weekly events and maybe tough realm dungeons).

His SSB alone with LD made him a valuable member of a few of my 4* magicite sub 30s, particularly ixion and Isgebind. His USB allowed me to sub30 midgardsomr. All of these are without chains or even very strong relics for those elements.

Is he a top mage? Probably not if you're min maxing, but he's drat good.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I have Cloud USB1, LMR1, LMR2, BSB2 and GSB. If going straight wind dps, what do you think my best LM options are? I'm guessing LM1 and LMR2 with the spellblade. Is LMR1 actually viable over LM1?

For reference LMR1 is chance to speedcast wind. LM1 is boost to physical dps.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I got Fran's LMR. I don't think I've seen a less relevant LMR. The gear doesn't have any bonuses. Everything worth stunning in this game is immune to stun. Ugh!

Me too. The worst lmr in the game.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Probably jinxing myself now but I've been in a crazy RoP hot streak. 7 6*s in a row.

0: Cinque bsb
T: Marche lmr dupe
XV: Aranaea (sp?) Lmr
XIV: Haurchefant (sp?) Bsb
XIII: Raines lmr
XII: Fran lmr (low point)
XI: Lion lmr
X: Auron OSB (meh)
IX: Vivi OSB (better)
VIII: Laguna CSB (not as good as it could be. I now have all three ice chains and lack most of the rest...) Good
VII: Tifa USB2 (holy poo poo!)
VI: celes OSB
V: Lenna USB2(!)
IV: Kain USB(!)
III: Alma BSB dupe (jinx)
II: Leon USB torment?
I: Echo lmr dupe (I have maybe 3 relics in this r
ealm so this was very disappointing)

All in all a great RoP

Lucky LMR:
Minwu (awesome, I have his dps USB)
Xezat(ice boost gloves)
Aphmau (meh)

Lucky USB:
Jecht fire USB/11
Ugh, they fix his dive to cover fire, right?

Fest banner 1:
Maria USB
Rinoa USB2
Penelo bsb2

Can't complain. I really wanted a chain but this should do. Probably all done now with pulls till 4th.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 25, 2018

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

0: Cinque bsb
T: Marche lmr dupe
XV: Aranaea (sp?) Lmr
XIV: Haurchefant (sp?) Bsb
XIII: Raines lmr
XII: Fran lmr (low point)
XI: Lion lmr
X: Auron OSB (meh)
IX: Vivi OSB (better)
VIII: Laguna CSB (not as good as it could be. I now have all three ice chains and lack most of the rest...) Good
VII: Tifa USB2 (holy poo poo!)
VI: celes OSB
V: Lenna USB2(!)
IV: Kain USB(!)
III: Alma BSB dupe (jinx)
II: Leon USB torment?
I: Echo lmr dupe (I have maybe 3 relics in this r
ealm so this was very disappointing)

All in all a great RoP

Lucky LMR:
Minwu (awesome, I have his dps USB)
Xezat(ice boost gloves)
Aphmau (meh)

Lucky USB:
Jecht fire USB/11
Ugh, they fix his dive to cover fire, right?

Fest banner 1:
Maria USB
Rinoa USB2
Penelo bsb2

Can't complain. I really wanted a chain but this should do. Probably all done now with pulls till 4th.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

JP players, have they done any Wondrous BSB selections with Ignis BSB in the last 6 months? I would totally buy it for $5 but 3000 gems is steep (for future gem draws, not this coming one).

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Interesting RoPs for me so far.

FF0: King USB
FFT: Ramza USB2 (dupe)
FFXV: Prompto USB and BSB

I have Kain USB and CSB plus Lightning USB. Between Prompto and King USBs, what's the better choice for me? I imagine once those 6* offerings come out, King's imperil capabilities will be nearly as good as Prompto. Anyone try running both of them? Two machinists will probably run up that chain really quickly.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

eelmonger posted:

They have yet to come out with a 6* lightning offering because reasons.

Running them both is certainly an option, but you're going to need a lot of machinist hones to support that given that one is ability double and one is QC-cycle.

drat, I didn't even realize lightning's offering didn't even exist in JP yet. Oops. I'm guessing King is more likely to put in some good work for me today, but we shall see. I'm still trying to figure out how to beat Quetz.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That's one way of looking at AASBs. Considering how whale-ish a lot of the current endgame is, I think DeNa was somewhat forced into the AASB era. The game couldn't really continue linearly at it's current pace without becoming stale. The real test will be where they go from there, which is still TBD.

Currently I'm putting like 10 pulls towards Bartz/Terra and seeing where things fall.

Personally I'm fine just pulling on discount banners between now and 4th anyway. The other problem before AASBs was that they didn't make a lot of interesting new relics for about 1 year. Literally the best one in recent memory is still Ellara's USB. The next 3 months of banners were imminently skippable even before the 4th banners powercrept them.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I look forward to the Disgaea collaboration two years from now with AAAOSBSBs capping at 99,999,999,999 damage. This game has been a great ride. If it runs it's course with power creep, so be it, this current formula can't last forever.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I started working on 5* magicite and holy poo poo Quetzalcoatl is such a pain. No chain and no AOSBs so it took a while--lots of tinkering to get it right relying on Tifas BSB2 and Kelgar USB. Full dived Cinque with BSB and LMR were my only rage breaker. I cleared it enough times to collect 8 for my lightning mage team but I still haven't mastered it. gently caress that guy.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Indecisive posted:

dang good job on completing it at least, I tried a couple times and gave up, no chain makes 5* so rough

Thanks! Just curious, what are your DPS options? My team is by no means poverty, but it does prove that a lower middle class team can definitely clear it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Indecisive posted:

Ive got a decked out Tifa (enearth LMR, usb2, osb, aosb), cinque with enearth LMR and USB for the savages, dorgann + leo usbs, could imperil with guy or galuf. Buff would probably be OK pUSB, elarra USB to heal. I probably have enough to do it, it's just a matter of learning the fight and I probably need more hones also to get thru it

Yeah you have way better options than me. I rely on Ramza's BSB2 and Elarra USB for support. I will say it's a pretty tricky fight, but it's mostly a matter of figuring out the right mix of mitigation and offense. I ended up dropping shellga and only relying on wall plus MBD and fullbreak, which with Catastrophe was enough to keep my guys alive for roughly a full minute. My magicite deck for this battle is entirely 4* with the usual Evrae and mix of defensive and offensive buffs. You can probably beat this with full mastery in under 40 secs. In contrast, my quickest time is 54.

You're probably right about the hones. I've pretty much bankrupted myself on Earth mats several times this past month trying to figure out the two lightning battles. Luckily the game's pretty generous with mat drops these days.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 25, 2018

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Merry Christmas goons!

Did all my parade pulls this morning. Grand prize was Tifa USB2 which I'm really hype about. She may end up on my Quetzalcoatl team. Not sure if that makes her better than Bartz but we'll see.

I also got Refia and Laguna USBs but eh.

Laguna's USB is dive worthy on its own. Imperil ice and quick cycle is really good on him, especially with w-casts.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

And as an inverse example, in the currently ongoing Gauntlet of Warriors one of the bosses inflicts a -99% MND debuff that lasts for 10 seconds as an AoE. It procs twice so you can't just rely on Affliction Break to block it to keep your healer from getting junked, it can't be blinked, and with it up most dedicated healers will only be outputting 100-500 HP rather than something in the thousands. But because it just alters MND, you can erase it with the 3* White Magic ability of Grace for +20% MND instead.

There's a fair bit of trickery you can play with overwriting status effects in this manner, but most occurrences are niche enough that you're not intended to worry about them.

I don't know the math for this, but the combo of mbd and full break are just enough to give me survivability for Quetzalcoatl, especially in the 30-40 second phase. Wall and Catastrophe rws are also in play, but just these two alone aren't enough.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Indecisive posted:

I finally did it! Didn't do it faster, though. First 5* down.

Not sure if Thancred brave was a better choice than Dorgann really, but the breaks helped keep the incoming damage down and helped Tifa + Cinque do the damage. Maybe bringing an Imperil would be a better choice to kill faster, I dunno. Had to hone Ironfist Earth and Gaia Rush to 5 and the ninja + heavy poo poo to 4 just to last long enough. Not looking forward to relearning to do this again in a few days.

Congrats! I actually think you're right about imperil. It makes a huge difference for me, though I only rely on Tifa as a imperiler (USB2 has been relegated to en-element). What's your team comp? OK and Elarra can probably handle the debuffs, though for my team, ended up using a bunch of crystal waters for mitigation.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Odin 300 is an rear end in a top hat. I can't even cheese it with my Raijin SSB spam team.

Any advice?

You have a good Ice or Wind chain magicite team? I used a backrow ice team and got it in one shot. I believe he's all piercing so wall/protectga is useless. My battle was reliant on a couple of breaks, Elarra, and zerging him down with Ice abilities.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Leveling magicite is such a drag. Deck building my 5*s feels like the slowest process, I can't even fathom how some people out there already have full decks with passives inherited.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I can't believe this day has come again, but I've run into the 4* vitality mote bottleneck. I guess I've been too liberal with 4* dives recently. But it's crazy how uneven the vitality distribution is in this game. Almost every decent physical character in the game uses them.

There isn't a revamp to the lovely mote dungeons right? I suppose I may just have to slowly build up my reserves again.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah it's real dumb that I have over 100 4 and 5* Bravery and Spirit motes, but everyone wants Vitality and Wisdom motes.

I have 4-500 of 4* Spirit, Dex, and Wisdom, 1600 of Bravery and 60 left of Vitality. Pretty annoying.

On 5*s I have over 600 each, 1000+ on a few and I haven't even been hoarding. I've dived even borderline characters for Torment sake. 4* vit is a ridiculous bottleneck right now.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Oh boy, Phoenix is a loving hoot. What the hell am I supposed to do here?

Bartz USB1/Glint/AOSB/OSB (Stormspell/quadstrike)

One of:
Paine USB (Need to make 2x water quadstrikes for her...)
Tidus BSB1/BSB2/OSB (6* water sharpshooter?)

Elarra USB

Tyro Godwall/LMR

Ignis BSB

Do I have a hope in hell?

I cleared this sub-30 with CSB, but I think two entrusters (including Ignis), Elarra, and two DPS could at least clear this. You have to be very much on top of casting Elarra's USB though. There comes a point where she's basically casting it over and over, that's how fast this fucker attacks.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Would lobbing the occasional (or well, nigh-constant) OSB from Bartz to slow it down and get a reprieve help?

What's your Magicite deck for this? Lvl 99 Geosgaeno is pretty much mandatory. Phoenix seems to go a bit crazy once it's in his final phase, regardless of Enrage mode. Definitely load up on OSB, but you really want to make sure you can use the AOSB to skip as much of the final phase as possible.

Do you happen to have any water imperil sbs? That actually might be the best secondary DPS.

I think this whole thing will be a pain in the rear end for you to figure out, but I think it's doable. Up to you on how you feel about your own patience and tolerance of getting wrecked over and over until you find the solution.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Magicites are Geos/Famfrit/Kraken/Evrae/Evrae all 99. Geos inherited Water Atk 15 and Health Boon 5, Famfrit has Dampen Fire 10 twice, Kraken has another Water Atk 15. Might swap Kraken to the front slot just for Imperil since Geos' follow-ups don't break Savage Mode.

Bartz/Paine/Tidus who I would consider my good water SBs. They're all 5* dived and crystal watered to the gills. Under Imperil and with both Ignis boosts, Bartz caps his Stormspell hits. Paine reaches about 7k with quadstrike. Tidus with Sapphire Bullet (And Yuffie's AOSB +water throwing weapon) might just beat her out because of modifiers, and he can also help by lobbing OSBs after he gets his Enwater BSB up.

The only other people I have are Glint/AOSB Yuffie and BSB Edge.

How far have you gotten and in what time? A team of those three DPS, Ignis and Elarra might pull it out if you can squeek out enough medicas. Aerith usb2 would probably be better in this case.

It's a really tough DPS race. Imperil is pretty stupidly huge and I'm lucky enough to have gotten decent sources for all elements. But I've been shat on for most chains. Sigh.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Actually, thinking about it, would (dived) Relm USB with the [+SB when taking damage] RM beat out Elarra for this if the USB casting is going to be so constant? I also have Relm's Last Stand BSB to throw on as an extra layer of bullshit defense.

I've survived an entire minute but I only had one Engulfing Quadstrike between Bartz and Paine so only made it to 50%. With two more R4 copies I could get a lot further. Or I could use Tidus and Sapphire Shot/Bullet plus OSB casts instead.

That's actually an impressive amount of survival. Hones, Stormspell (if even just for Bartz teamed with Tidus), and more importantly a water imperil are probably the biggest things for you. The first two sound quickly doable, but if you can't crack 75% with that, I'd say this fight is worth a punt for the future.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

RNG has been very favorable to me recently on daily draws. Since the Type-0 banner, I've gotten Yang USB, Rinoa GSB, dupe Noel SSB, FFX Armor, Exdeath Runic, and today Eiko USB2. After two months of almost nothing between fests, this is great.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The new soft cap is no joke for things like follow-up attacks from USBs. I just beat my Phoenix time by a whole second on a test run with Bartz USB1 follow-ups going from hitting 4500ish previously to now 6500ish per strike with 9,999 crits at maxed Tidus chain. Bartz AOSB went from 82,000 per to straight up 99,999. I'm hoping this went from a somewhat inconsistent fight to a straight up easy farm because arcanes are a bitch.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I did 4 pulls on the KH banner. No dice on the awakenings. I did manage to get all the relics I missed front before (Sora/Riku USBs, AOSBs, LMRs) but that leaves me with 10 dupes now. I can't justify another pull with Bartz' superior AASB coming soon.

Oddly I'm pretty confident I can beat Syldra now, bit Mateus is the real thorn in my side. No fire chain makes his tanking a bitch.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Salty pulls. I got:
Strago OSB
Minwu USB2 (dupe)
Fang BSB (dupe)
Estinen LMR (who the gently caress is he?)

Prompt CSB (new but the least useful chain I could pull. I'm at 3/8 elements and somehow already had Kain and Totto chains. drat RNG
Delita USB (dupe)
Yuna LMR (only useful thing)

Whelp, 1/7 genuinely useful relics and it's an lmr.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Well my salty pulls pushed me to try Syldra finally. And holy poo poo she's tough. This was my first successful run and also my first non-mastery Sub-30. It came down to Squall hitting a last second SSS for like 8k total damage to barely finish her. Now to do it 11 more times!

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Trying to narrow down my Ultra selections.

Minwu USB1
OK mUSB
Kelger USB
Cloud USB1
Marche USB
Agrias USB2

is the shortlist.

Minwu for rare WHM Double, OK to help with some magicite clears, Kelger because it would probably get me a FFV D??? clear, Cloud just because everyone has it, Marche or Agrias would probably get me a FFT D??? clear.

However: Kelger is on the FFV post-4A banner 2 that I plan on pulling on for Bartz USB3, Cloud I only really want because people hype it and is on anima lenses, 5* Dark is a while away for Minwu, I'm not 100% convinced I need OK to clear Belias, Typhon or Hecaton (though he probably makes it easier), and I will still lack the other of Agrias/Marche, plus how smart is selecting for Torments, really?

Also I'm planning on chasing Bartz and TGC AASBs so those alone might make up the torment gap.

Minwu's USB doesn't have en-element, so unless you have a chain, just keep in mind its limitations.

If you have Agrias' old BSB then Marche is the definite winner for D??? between her and Agrias.

I think OK's mUSB is the best choice of that list, it has by and far the best versatility and bang for your buck.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Anyone got some tips on how to gear for Tiamat? Which elemental defense accessories should I be wearing? I can't cover both except for the little boost magicites give, and I can't get a good read on which element is actually hitting me more often / doing more damage. He's the only 4* magicite I can't get a sub-30 clear on now and it's crazy how overtuned he feels. On paper my ice DPS looks pretty nuts (Squall w/ BSB2, Snow w/ CSB, Bartz w/ basically every relic spamming SSS, and OK boosting with his pUSB) but survivability has been my roadblock and I'm not sure what else I can do about that. I don't have Elarra's USB, so my not-poo poo healing options are Rosa's USB, Ovelia's USB, Aerith's USB1, and Yshtola's BSB.

Buy Elarra's USB for $5.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's tempting! But I've been f2p so far and I don't really want to start down that rabbit hole, because I imagine once you buy your way out of one thing, it becomes easier to justify in your head the next time.

Is that actually getting a US release? Man I hope so, as weird as it is that might be in my top 3 FF games just because of the memories made playing with friends. The art style and music is rad, too.

I've cleared 9/12 5*s thus far and Elarra's been on every team. The chainless ones (Earth and Fire) have been largely possible due to her USB, so I'm a strong advocate for it.

I mean I wouldn't ever justify a full priced pull, but (and this will be my only devil's advocate statement on this subject), I find it reasonable justification if you put in dozens or even hundreds of hours in this game over the years to throw a small token of support money and significantly improve your gameplay. But, everyone has their own limits, so I respect whatever you decide for yourself.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Speaking of elbow dropping my phone, Typhon is by and far the most infuriating magicite I've faced thus far. Only ones I haven't beaten yet are the earth 5*s which I've yet to touch.

Typhon's snort mechanic is such a loving shitshow of DPS RNG. You double cast too much? Congrats you might enter the next phase slightly too early and suddenly you're behind on turns till the next snort cycle. Don't doublecast enough? Now you're behind on the phase turn cycle and he's snorting your key DPS characters a phase early. I can imagine having super OP ice relics might make the snort timing mechanics moot, but for middle tiered dps people like me, I need layers and layers of perfect luck, precise timing and undivided attention. It's the first battle that requires me to pay full attention to the AI scripts on the reddit page.

I need 4 more clears of this rear end in a top hat.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

eelmonger posted:

I'm still working on my Typhon clear, but holy poo poo do I agree with you. For Belias I actually took everyone's dual-cast LMs off because I needed to be super-precise about when I transitioned phases and how that lined up with savage breaking. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury with Typhon because I actually need the double casts later on to do enough damage, but if I double cast too much in phase 1 then you transition out of that too early and have way less time before the next snort. The wind magicites are giant assholes.

How far along are you on the Typhon clear? I've beaten it 6 times now, once sub-30 (which I have no idea how it happened). The bigger pain is the transition between phase 2 and 3. There's been quite a few times I think I'm making good on my pace and suddenly he snorts my slot 2 character (DPS). Other times I apparently hit just a little too much and then he's snorting or AOE'ing just a little too quickly.

My team is:
Rinoa (CSB, BSB2)
Shantottot (USB)
OK (mUSB)
Vivi (USB)
Elarra (USB1, LM2, LMR)

If you have these pieces, I can help you get to at least the phase 1 transition smoothly.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It seems kind of silly to argue against the imperil skills when battles like 5* magicite can really be seen as puzzle games, that is, the bosses act exactly the same way and each player has to use their unique skills and relics to figure out ways to beat each one. I have some battles where I need exactly 3 casts of one ability, or 4 of another so that when the magicite hits me at the exact same time in phase 3 transition, that I'll have just enough to use an SB at precisely the right times.

Imperil skills aren't as reliable as they could be, but that doesn't mean they aren't often a player's best choice to make an iffy run into a reliable one. Of course, with power creep and/or someone's own great luck, maybe you're gear is already incredibly overpowered that imperil theory is moot anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Honestly the fight would be a lot easier if Kimahri wasn't a trash character and had Support 5. His USB adds up to a ton of damage, but he's essentially useless for anything else.

Also I'm trying really hard to avoid the temptation to just pay2win Elarra USB.

If you only need 1 lvl99 copy to move on, have you considered a full on radiant shield strategy? Phoenix hits so often that it probably wouldn't even take that long.