Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Someone mentioned in the last thread that BSBs were good for their longevity against the Weapons, and after trying out these folks I can't disagree.

That was me, and yeah they're still great against Ultima. My team was: Vaan BSB, Zell BSB1, Noctis BSB, Ramaza BSB2, and Relm USB+BSB. I had been trying to make Greg work because he has that dispel command, but it turns out Ultima doesn't cast mighty guard that often, so I just gave Ramaza banishing strike and subbed in Vaan (who I forgot existed, but is perfect for this fight) and everything clicked. Turns out quad-breaking defense when you have to rely on non-elemental damage is actually useful.

No Friend of Gravity posted:

This week is the single best time in the game's history to start playing. If you start before July 7, you'll be able to catch the end of the Summer Fest. I rerolled an alt account yesterday; here's a quick start guide.

This is probably true, and I think it would be interesting to experience a world where 0/11 never existed and the only uniques I own came from AA. But I barely have time to keep up with all the poo poo going on in one account, let alone doing everything twice. But for new players, it's awesome and that's a great guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Vaan BSB got me through some dark times, but like I said, I totally forgot I had it since the current meta largely ignores breaks and non-elemental. I'm sure the people with LDed Masters are having an easy time with this fight too, but no way I would do that just for this fight (or at all really).

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

Reno's Light Rod with Turk Bombshell utter garbo

I'm pretty sure it's the only 100% sleep relic in the game so it can break some fights completely (mote magus sisters comes to mind). Granted I can't remember the last time sleep was relevant in a top tier fight, but I'd give it at least niche status, especially if you still have a bunch of realm dungeons to do where sleep could be relevant.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Status effects are solidly in the grave right now. Any fight where they'd work is easy enough that you don't need it, and any fight where they might be useful they won't work.

Agree. But for someone who stopped when shout was released, they probably still have a ton of realm and (if they come back again) renewels with "afflict X with sleep" medal conditions and having a 100% sleep source when all the others sources are kinda poo poo can be handy. Basically I'm just saying it's 95% garbo instead of utter garbo. Although, I guess with most of those dungeons you can afford to lose 3 medals, so yeah, throw it on the garbo pile.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
I don't NEED anything here, but there's a lot of great stuff including +ice equipment AND I have almost no dupes, so sure let's do one pull:

Rikku LMR/11

Always never pull.

Bruceski posted:

Same question for summoners. I assume magic but there's a lot of overlap between summoner and healers.

Summons are always magic.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

hello friends another dickensian dilemma for you all:

Do I grab Tyro LMR (Have Godwall) or OK LMR (Have m/pUSBs, VoF, SSB)?

I'm honestly leaning towards OK since he's going to be a mainstay in all my Mage teams, I think. That being said, Tyro LMR goodness cannot be overstated.

Facing a similar dilemma, but I'm missing OK mUSB, which makes me want to lean Tyro. Granted I've only used Tyro for multiplayer (I just got godwall in the USB draw, so I haven't worked him into anything yet) and OK is in most of my magicite teams, but I've got Ramaza BSB2+LMR for physical buffing (giving up that critfix does suck though). Anyone want to convince me one way or the other?

I'd definitely go with OK in your case though, he's a magic powerhouse with that USB. The good news is that, either way, you're just putting off the one you don't pick until next fest (or sooner) since I can't think of any better LMRs that have come out.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
100 gem:
Garnet LMR
3 pulls:
Ashe AOSB, Maria BSB (dupe), Tifa LMR
Ashe Glint, Maria BSB (dupe)
Tifa AOSB

Really wanted those USBs, but I gotta stop. At least that's some nice +element equipment; I can finally retire my 4* Gaia Gear.

If I wanted to dump a pull on the FFIV banners, I'm assuming chasing the double cast dream of Porom is better than the Cecils in terms of immediate application? How do the Cecils fair in the neo-torment?

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
This is why I've stopped running exp dungeons on any day that isn't Sunday and haven't run them at all this fest.

HOWEVER, one thing to keep in mind though the limiting factor will be your sanity: You can spend a days worth of stamina on the exp daily in a few minutes of auto-battling, but, even if you've got a 4* on autopilot, it still takes time and attention and a full day of stamina is 24 magicite battles. So odds are you're still going to run the exp daily on Sunday a couple times to burn stamina (or maybe save events for Sunday?), unless they're doing something to make the orb meadows more attractive.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

My Ixion runs involve a lot of resets. I always have to wait for a run where he does NOT Savage Aerospark on turns 3 and 4. If that happens I'm gold. Otherwise I reset

Turn 3 Savage Aerospark is forced unless you do enough damage to get him below 81% HP, so it might just be w-cast luck. Although if I'm reading the AI right, his other phases have no scripted actions, so he can just do it anyways to piss you off. I ended up with the opposite problem: I inherited Shell Dragon with +15 earth and suddenly I couldn't get past turn 5. Turned out that little bump made me consistently skip the spark and I needed that extra turn from blinking the aerospark to have enough gauge for Edge to be ready in time

Nihilarian posted:

For DPS my most used are Tifa with USB1, OSB and enearth lmr and a dived Bartz with USB (also lmr and osb but I haven't used those yet). I've used TGCid with USB/LMR, and a dived Edge with SSB2 a couple times. I also have a dived Yuffie with USB1, Glint and LMR who I haven't tried yet.

You've definitely got the tools for this. I would think a Last Stand strategy with Cid, Tifa, and Edge spamming abilities could work, but I've only ever done this fight magically so I might be talking out of my rear end.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
For future reference, you can get a 7 dampen at lv65, so you end up with 14% instead of 15% for way less exp.

As far as the 3* imperils go, beefing up shell dragon (and your earth decks in general) is good, but for all the other elements so far, everyone seems to use the 5* magicites as their mains because at lv99 they always do overflow hits, which basically takes care of the savage mode mechanic for you.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

1/11 thancred ssb :unsmigghh:

Which one? One of his is a rare +wind on a physically oriented weapon.

Meanwhile, I was hoping for some XIV or 0 synergy and got Aerith BSB1 (dupe)/11. I need to stop pulling on these. Although, in theory, the pools are only going to get better now that we're done with new SSBs.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I wonder how far I could get with just Ramza endlessly Entrusting TGC his USB.

I was curious too, and the answer is not far at all. I had Ramza and Meliadoul entrusting, Alma and Ovelia healing, and TGC OSB, USB, and Guardbringing when he didn't have gauge. I was at high health and slowly chipping away at him, but then the DPS check at the end of a phase that auto kills your party happened. Maybe I could be a bit more efficient, but I don't think you can do enough damage with just TGC fast enough to skip all of them. Maybe you could get to 50% this way, maybe.

Just thinking about it though, this guy has 2 million HP, so that's at least 20 OSBs. USBs were doing like 40k damage, but you need his EX mode to get the OSBs capping, so 25-30ish soul breaks: I think we are finally at the stage where you can't cheese stuff with solo DPS.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

For my sub-30 Siren I used basically the same setup as you, with Cloud and Shelke for the last two slots. Yeah, Cloud doesn't currently have any dark abilities, but you can just entrust to him and spam his USB. I did have Aphmau USB for healing though, so you probably won't be able to sub-30 it like that, but clearing won't be a problem.

That being said, Orlandeau or Shadow would be much better options.

Yeah, my sub30 is Orlandeau USB+Cloud USB+Aphmau USB with entrusters. I think Cloud can solo-DPS sub30 siren if you managed to snag his en-dark BSB and have his USB1. So don't discount that USB just yet.

That said, I only did things that way because I didn't have a chain. To answer the original poster's post: with Seifer's chain, an LD Shadow+Orlandeau are going are going to be very good bets as long as you can give them abilities to chew through. I have R4 Dread Weapon and R4 Sanguine Cross and just alternate them. The damage is a little scary, but Dread Weapon double casting is always going to max you out again, especially under chain. Sanguine has less recoil damage and uses power orbs as the main orb (so less dark orb pressure), plus under chain with 100% crit Orlandeau will be capping very quickly meaning the extra potency from Crimson shouldn't matter. The only downside in general is that you're going to have to hone up even more darkness abilities for Seifer or figure out something else to use when he's not casting his chain.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
I don't have the BSB3 to test out, but he's my solo DPS for sub30ing Midgardsorm with USB1+BSB2, and Midgardsorm has higher HP and DEF than Siren, so I just assume it would work. You basically just entrust the crap out of him and someone who can do party instacast.

edit: also Chant or some other crit boost.

eelmonger fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 16, 2018

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
These new record dunegons kinda blow. The first batch clearly had a lot of effort and charm put into them, but these are just straight "here's what happened in this game, and also Tyro is here." In the FF1 ones they constantly refer to the 4 warriors of light even though you only have 3 people in your party , which seems like the perfect opportunity for some snarky 4th wall breaking stuff, but nope, they just ignore it entirely.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
I've gotta figure out the right balance: The min-maxer in me wants to run magicites all Sunday long, but the actual human in me knows there no loving way I'm going to do 24 magicites in one day.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Zurai posted:

Not true. With the exception of ff6 b1, it has been BSB/LMR and up only. No SSBs or uniques.

Did they stop doing because of massive player outrage? Or will we be in a situation where DeNA can just decide that arbitrary (i.e. really good) banners have the bigger pool?

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

You've got two characters who's ATBs are neck and neck, not even a pixel apart. When their turn is up, you've got exactly zero seconds to correctly identify which character is selected and then use the correct command! If you hesitate or choose the wrong one you might wipe!

Seriously, why does this game not have a wait mode?

I mean duh, you just have to remember which one was released in the game first because that's how they break ties. Git gud brah.

Seriously, it's really dumb to have all these speed-oriented goals in the game and then make it extremely difficult to actually manage how time passes. Not to mention that this is a PHONE game so I could get interrupted at any time by a text message or someone coming up to me to talk. All the other mobile RPGs I've tried have the common decency to wait for you to input an action before doing anything. Sadly, none of the other mobile RPGs I've played have Kefka spitting on someone for 99999 damage, so I keep coming back to FFRK.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
I basically ignored the little bombs and kept Selphie entrusted so she could pop her USB whenever something exploded (with Edge SSB as a backup). So your strategy might work (maybe give OK wrath+entrust too?), although you might be a little light on DPS if you have to rely on bsb commands and ether. Regardless, with those Tidus goodies, I would hone up sapphire shot ASAP.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
I barely got my 15 pushes in on Demon Wall, so I'm no expert, but here's some things that helped me:
- Slow roll at the beginning. It doesn't take a lot to push him back at the start and any damage over the threshold is wasted. I used this time to wrath up a ton of bars so I had them when you need to do a ton of damage quick.
- Follow the AI thread on Reddit to see when you need to use your RW. If you've got a couple soul breaks ready to go and he's about to wail or interrupt, using your RW to stop him and then damaging him enough to push to the next phase can be huge.
- Wait out the wail. The debuff is so huge and resources are so tight that attacking with it on is basically wasting a turn. It lasts a very short time so just let it pass.
- Defense doesn't matter, everything is either gravity or long range and ignores defense. So just gear for offense.

If it helps, I used my Tiamat team: Squall BSB2, Ayame BSB, Aphmau USB, OK pUSB, and Shelke actually used her BSB at the end when she ran out of entrusts.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Attestant posted:

4th Hope BSB2/11. It's decent armor being a holy bracer, but I don't really need more. Meh.

Dupe Hope BSB1/11. I can't remember the last time I've had a good LD, but they're so hard to resist. In theory the pools should be getting better over time as more 6*s are released, but logic goes out the window when you pull a dupe or SSB/11. At least you can't rage pull on these things.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Pceil USB1 (dupe), Hope LMR, Tidus BSB1, and Hope BSB1(dupe).

I don't know what it is, but if Hope is on a Lucky Draw, I'm getting a relic for him. I now have a BSB+ complete Hope and I'm still too cheap to make a second Madeen for him.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
With how easy it is to softcap attack these days, you could consider Reynn's "magic-oriented, but still has some attack" ice thrower. Although I'm not sure how many physical, ice-focused characters can even equip throwers.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Prav posted:

yeah same, gently caress that poo poo

which also means i'm finding it harder and harder to care to actually start up the game lately

The lack of urgency on the new torments is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I like that (unlike magicites) I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not tackling DWhale as soon as it comes out. On the other hand, it means I have 0 motivation to even attempt them and I don't know when that will change. So yeah most days I'm just running the dailies and that's it. I could probably 50% or better some of them, but the amount of real world time and effort I'd spend doesn't seem worth the partial rewards, especially because any 50% strategy is probably going to be massively different than an eventual win/sub30. DWhale is a massive difficulty spike, and until 5* magicites come out, there isn't much between it and the rest of the game, so it's really hard to judge your incremental progress.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

DeNA likes your money so they chance of another paid USB selection is 100% barring the game shutting down or something. Christmas or maybe black friday are the likely suspects.

Celes does want that LMR too though. But if money is on the table I guess you could just buy it too.

I dunno. Global doesn't do the bag things, which are arguably the biggest cash grab in the game. Plus they just dropped an LMR select in favor of a second BSB select when there was already a 6x cheaper BSB select running. They also seem very averse to bringing any vaguely culturally-oriented stuff over that isn't just find/replace $HOLIDAY_NAME (e.g. the bags and the cactuar trees).

I agree that bringing it over seems like a no-brainer, but global makes some weird loving decisions sometimes.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
And here I was excited to get Cloud BSB1 on my DD...

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
RoP has been pretty disappointing so far:

0: Ace SSB: At least I have a medica for the realm now
T: Gaff LMR: Trance! But on a meh character
15: Noctis Glint: I feel like this needs his USB/OSB to be really good
14: Minfilia SSB (dupe)
13: Sazh SSB1 and Lightning BSB2 (dupe)
12: Vaan LMR1: I guess it helps with all his debuffing, in the rare cases that matters anymore.
11: Ampmau SSB: Doesn't look like the XI torment does much with statues, so not sure when I'll use this

And I threw a pull at 8:
Laguna BSB, Squall Glint, and Xezat's Gauntlets??? No discos, but 2 universal ice+ armors (up from my total of 0 before). At least the off-banner was on-theme.

eelmonger fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 14, 2018

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
I've somehow gotten lucky enough to get 2 6*s from the daily so far. They were both dupes. Divine Veil and Yuna USB1, not even good stat sticks.

So you can be lucky and unlucky at the same time.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Reno SSB. Dammit game, this is because I said it wasn't complete garbage in the last thread, isn't it?

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Locke SSB1. Somehow I didn't get it back during the whole Shout debacle, but we're a couple years too late now.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

MF_James posted:

raider isn't technically redundant since it stacks with OK's pUSB and I can drop that T1 with elarra to get haste up pretty much immediately thanks to TGM while I wrath up juice for godwall; Elarra I have her USB only.

It seems like it would be fairly worthless to bring someone just to drop proshellga if I can't do useful dps with them when I can use tyro and/or OK to entrust elarra/DPS

Though in instances where I would need only protect or shell, I could drop that on elarra and run a 3rd actual DPS, if I have one.

The other issue is that while I have some stacked characters, I generally don't have more than 2 (good) dps per element; except water.

With pUSB, the +30% attack is probably going to be way over softcap though and you're triple hasting your team. I didn't realize this until now, but I believe all of my magicite teams only use protect or shell since they usually favor one over the other or have mostly piercing of one type. The exception is Kraken and for that I use Edward's bard protect with my healer's shellga. Even if you just sub Tyro for a dived Shelke and give Elerra the appropriate -ga, I think that would be a huge boost.

I can sub30 all the 4*s and my teams are 1 or 2 DPS, 2 or 3 entruster/buffer, and a healer. Shelke is on all of them and they all use Fabula Guardian. I'm pretty sure this will have to change for 5*, but it's working for me now.

edit: Basically exactly what Fister said

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

One last thing I'll mention is that unless you're going for a specific strat that involves a lot of SB spam, two dedicated entrusters seems like a bit overkill for most situations. Once your DPSes get their relevant SBs up and running, they shouldn't need any extra gauge for sustain, and there comes a point where your healer/support is limited more by actions than by gauge.

It could be cause I'm too lazy to come up with better strategies, but 2+ entrusters has been my go-to for all the magicites so far. In some cases, I'm skimping on mitigation in favor of damage, so I need my healer to have constant gauge for medicas. In many cases, that healer is Aphmau, so I'm getting IC out of it too. In other cases I only have 1 or 2 good so DPS in an element or I'm too cheap to hone up abilities for another one so it's better to just funnel everything into what I've got rather than shoehorn in somebody else. I'm pretty sure this won't fly with the 5*s, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I finally got something good :toot:

I got my first USB too. Unfortunately it was Ceodore's which seems really meh. Last RoP I got Golbez USB; FFIV sure loves it's defensive (i.e. garbage) USBs.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Pretty bad RoP, lots of SSBs and only one (mediocre) USB:
0: Ace SSB
T: Gaff LMR
15: Noctis Glint
14: Minfilia SSB (dupe)
13: Sazh SSB1 and Lightning BSB2 (dupe)
12: Vaan LMR1
11: Ampmau SSB
10: Jecht BSB1
9: Zidane OSB
8: Raijin BSB
7: Reno SSB
6: Locke SSB1
5: Krile LMR2
4: Ceadore USB
3: Luneth SSB (dupe)
2: Lelia BSB
1: Serah BSB (dupe)

3/11 on my USB pull: Rikku USB2, Nabaat USB, and Fujin USB. None of these are game changers, but maybe I can squeeze them into torments.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Ripley posted:

Fujin is pretty legit unless you're drowning in magical wind already, a few people in the Discord were talking about choosing it in the USB select.

Ah, I though the quickcast was 1 turn, but rereading and looking at Enlir, it's 15s, which makes a pretty huge difference. Still, I feel like she'd be pretty far down on the USB list after Vivi, Bartz, ability doubles, etc.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
"Who the gently caress is Shelke?"

I dunno, but she's on all my magicite teams.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
3/11: Larsa USB, Rinoa USB, and Maria ASB.

Uhhhh, holy poo poo. I guess this makes up for RoP. I should probably try King Behemoth now.

eelmonger fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 25, 2018

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

are any of the 5 banners for this considered a dud more than the others? i'll probably have just enough for 4 draws total and don't know what i should leave out. i know banner 2 has elarra's usb so that's definitely in

Depending on where you're at with Hades and Siren, I'd say 4 is the most skippable since you've got 2 more fests to stock up on holy/dark gear before the 5*s drop.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Got 1/11 Celes LMR, probably the best possible outcome for a 1/11 no disco pull. Debating whether to pull again on this banner or the ff8 banner 1....

:same:, even down to the "should I throw another pull here or at FF8-1".

Only 1 dupe (the LMR) on this banner vs 4 on FF8 (no discos), but getting Rinoa's earth USB on banner 1 suddenly makes me want all her other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Honestly, I kinda liked not have to futz around with my party for the record dungeons. It was nice to know that I had everything I needed going in. I guess as long as the really tricky challenge battles don't get this I'm fine. Although you can make some pretty bad, but I don't think unwinnable parties with the standard dungeons.