Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Do the AASBs cost the same as ASBs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I said come in! posted:

My hope was that I could get carried and get characters leveled up easily, if that is a thing? My highest level characters right now are just level 65.

You can also get carried in single player by using a roaming warrior. If you find one with an overstrike soul break in an element the boss is weak to (or at least doesn't resist) you can oneshot most encounters with difficulty less than 100

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

How do people keep track of their stuff?

I'm a fairly new player, but I've already got a bunch of assorted 5*/6* stuff, and if I want to know something like whether I could put together a passable wind team, I don't have a way to answer that except by going through everything one at a time.

Is there some nifty tool I'm unaware of where I can enter all my relics and then quickly answer questions like that?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks, time to fire up Excel then I guess

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Are roaming warriors once per day or something? It seems like the more I play the deeper I have to dig to find a godwall (pretty much the only RW I actually use).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

If you're a brand new player, what's the time expectancy to be playing end(ish) game stuff? Is it a year or two to build up and power up your dudes, or is it more like a month or two?

I've been playing for a couple of months, and just finished all the Nightmares this weekend. The fest helped a lot with throwing relics and orbs at me.

Magicites splatter me into the ground incredibly quickly though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've been playing for a couple of months, and just finished all the Nightmares this weekend. The fest helped a lot with throwing relics and orbs at me.

Magicites splatter me into the ground incredibly quickly though.

Correction: It took a fair few attempts, but Liquid Flame is now mine :dance:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I feel like "say 'screw it' and tank the crazy form" should be in Mog's tips for Gogo. I crafted Firaga, Meteor and Flare trying to follow along without def buffing.

I think the hard Gogo you're "supposed" to mimic his first few spells but it's better to ignore that and fight him like normal.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I could handle his more aggressive damage but I can't handle flare and meteor to the face without godwall and healing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Daily draw decided to stop trolling me with 5*s that have no soul break, and instead troll me with Aemo LMR, who I don't have anything else for and probably never will.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Do I really need 5 healers/Holy users to get that Curada?

Ignore the actual mechanics, use summons. It's not even vulnerable to holy.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hey so coming back to this after burning out around the first Tactics Advance event.

Anything important I missed out on? Anything I should pull on right now? Are all of the Acolyte Archive Selections just going to be uniques?

Acolyte Archives are supers and bursts. There's some useful stuff there (generally on the healing/support side) if you aren't totally loaded up on ultras.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Vivi USB from daily draw :getin:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

3/33: Dorgann USB dupe, Y'shtola USB, Vanille LMR.

Thanks, game.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

OK, I'm at the point where I need to clear (almost?) all of the Nightmare Dungeons to finish Book 7. I own every character except Riku & Sora from KH. Here's a spreadsheet with the Soul Breaks and Record Materia I have available. What's going to be my best team loadout for clearing them? I don't care about mastering them right now; I just want to unlock Magicite.

I found this reddit post useful for getting through the nightmares. There's been a bit of power creep since then but it's still pretty handy. The first four bosses in each section you can normally beat with whatever, but the main bosses all have gimmicks, some of which you can brute-force past but for most of them you'll need to make a team specially for them (reraise :argh:)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, definitely go for Curada if you can, I've used it in literally every battle (except autobattle trash) since I got it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

xanthan posted:

Honing up a bunch of Diagas and DeDias and finding who had white magic damage bursts was a pain.

Hope you like Vannile and Cait Sith!

I found Curada is easier with summons. Reraise needed the stupid sucky white damage spells though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The 3* dark magicite is a giant pain in the rear end.

There's nothing that can dodge his instakill other than dealing 120k damage in the first 10 seconds, right?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

MF_James posted:

Correct, the easiest thing to do (if you can't poo poo out 120K damage in 10 seconds) is to have someone with low HP like shelke run as entrust bot, not heal them and then let them eat that first instakill, the next one(s) you should be able to hit because your DPS will be up and running.

That's what i did anyway, I think I ran OK, Shelke orlandeau beatrix and elarra for my kills; just had shelke use AS or mog's and wrath/entrust, then elarra never healed her but healed everyone else.

Thanks. I have Ramza chain so I really don't have an excuse to fail this. Time to reshuffle my party and try again.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ah, that should do it. I might have to farm the holy magicite a bit so I can get him doing enough damage with DMT instead of a damage boost RM.

e: Did it, thanks! Orlandeau DMT, Ramza MM gets chain off first, Shelke wraths and entrusts Orlandeau in time for T2 second OSB. Got him down to zero pixels on his health bar sub-30 then he killed all my DPSs and I ended up taking him down with normal attacks and a lifesiphon at 35s, but a win is a win.

ee: Let's look up the 4* magicite stats/attacks. Hmm, it may be a while before I do any of these.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 26, 2018

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

What kind of hones can I get away with for the 3* magicites? Honing up these Earth Knight abilities for Dorgann is pain because of how much Holy Orbs I need.

YMMV but I think I tend to use about 8 abilities in a 3* fight so 2 r2s normally

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Is there any high end fight that you can do with just abilities at this point? I feel like having almost no SB's is the most damning thing about the cores.

Well, if you want to use abilities, they're awful at that too. Core Black Mage only has 4* black magic access.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I guess there are shared soul breaks. There was that shared AOSB from halloween, and I randomly got a shared medica from daily draw.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Raubahn (XI) and Raubahn (XIV) (Oh come on he's getting added eventually) being entirely different people would be entertaining, although confusing for some no doubt.

Not as confusing as Cid, Cid, Cid, Cid Raines and TGC.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh yeah, because the people near me use those all the time. Nope; they like to use mega heals and other useless poo poo that I can do myself.

If you swipe up in the roaming warrior list you get some more added to the bottom, and you can press refresh to see even more. It shouldn't take too long to find some random person with a magic-based arcane overstrike.

Not all of them can be just cheesed, but many can - when we talk about powercreep, we mean that Ultima Buster can be literally one-shot by roaming warrior.

quote:

Except the Master requirements forbid black magic on the magic boss and dumb poo poo like Ultima Buster just loving hit you with max damage all-party attacks that even my maxed out Cloud dies to in a few hits and he has the most ducking health of any character I own. If he can't even tank hits how the gently caress are a bunch of paperweight shitbirds like Terra or Lulu supposed to even survive long enough to cast spells?

Huh? The master requirements on Ultima are "hit some elemental weaknesses". (don't stress the master requirements though, stuff unlocks even if you don't master them and you can come back later and chump them).

As for tanking hits - are you using Wall and Shellga (or roaming warrior divine veil grimoire)? Do you have a decent healer?

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 16, 2018

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm going to try to use Echo, Vincent, Terra, Sarah (for healing), and maybe Tyro? Looking at my skills I'm kinda lacking in the magic department (the elemental quadstrikes kinda negated them for me) so what spells should I waste resources on?

EDIT: Echo because I have her "stronger black magic but blinded" ability, Vincent and Terra because they're level 80, and Sarah because I can load her with Hastega and Shellga and then use her "replace attack with 1000+ heal" ability. Tyro because I guess he's supposed to be OP? I wouldn't know because the RNG rarely blesses me with anything for him.

Which nightmare are you trying to beat? You won't be using the remotely the same party/loadout for all of them

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ultima Buster of course. It's the one people seemed to talk about the most.

And no, I wasn't planning to use Cloud for every fight like some people were believed. I was using him as an example of my strongest character stat-wise and relic wise.

You've given the impression that you don't really care about doing the fight "properly" and just want it out of the way. So just go through the roaming warrior list until you find a magic-attack arcane soul break. Use it and win.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ruinga stays useful for clearing trash with mage teams

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Gathering Storm (from Thunder God Cid)

If you're looking for this, the game confuses matters by calling him Orlandeau

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

When I try to fight without enough stamina, instead of the thing asking if I want to use a potion/gems I've started getting a connection error. Is that happening to other people too?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I really oughta have a go at 4* magicite sometime. My first time going in I just got completely stomped. My arsenal has improved since then but my thought of them as out of my league remains.

I was in this position but today I finally got off my rear end and did one. I got the earth one with Alphinaud chain and DTs, OK's DPS USB, Aerith healing and two entrusters to get Alphinaud and OK going and then to feed a continual stream of soul gage into Aerith to keep up the healing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Pulled twice on the new year lucky because I didn't have anything for it.

2/11: Cloud USB1, Bartz USB1
2/11: Bartz enearth BSB, Ellara USB

Not bad at all.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Also still looking for a Roaming Warrior to kill Evrae Altana for me.

AFAIK you can't just one-shot it because it has phases and poo poo. You should be able to search the internet to find some handy offensive white magic USBs/BSBs and then get a code for one from https://friends-ffrk.com/ though. That should help a lot.

Or just hone a ton of white magic crap you'll never use again, I beat it with no offensive soul breaks and so can you.

Or just skip that one for now. The reward is worthless, and the magicite battles you unlock by doing all the nightmares are way harder than the nightmares. Can you comfortably do mote dungeons? If not then you aren't ready for magicites.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 3, 2019

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It really does bottleneck you at the Nightmare Dungeon --> Magicite point. I stopped playing halfway through the Nightmare Dungeons because they just felt like a huge slog. It's pretty obvious to me these were intended to be done as they were released initially. Coming up to them now it just looks like a chore.

I keep telling myself that I'll get around to it eventually, as I'm pretty sure I could finish them if I put some actual effort into it. But mostly I just log in for rewards, do a mission or two to nab musical scores and/or costumes and not much else these days.

I don't think the bottleneck is as real it looks. The real progression in terms of difficulty is Nightmare -> Motes -> Magicite. If you do the nightmares when you aren't powerful enough to just stomp all over them (apart from a couple of the gimmickier ones), you don't actually unlock any battles you have a hope of winning yet.

HGS seemed to think unlocking magicites would help with the mote dungeons, but it won't.

As for paying for gatcha, I'm completely free-to-play, been playing for a bit less than six months, and I've just recently finished the 3* magicites and beaten one 4*. You don't need to pay to get past this wall.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 3, 2019

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't care about 75% of these characters. :shrug:
If you're trying to do hard content free-to-play with your waifu/husbando, that's not really going to work unless you get lucky and/or pay a lot of attention to what soul breaks the various banners offer. You have to play with what you get good relics for.

quote:

Also you can't do Torment Dungeons now until after you've cleared the nightmare dungeons (or at least finish a fuckton of them) so maybe I'm a little jaded that they locked me out of something that I had free reign to attempt over a year ago. :argh:

If it's any consolation, the torments have now been changed to make them too hard for you to do.

quote:

Also I realized that I don't even know what the hell magicite is in this game even. I just know that I need it to beat anything over difficulty 160 apparently.

The easiest magicite battles are difficulty 250. There's nothing you get for unlocking magicites unless you can beat a fight that hard.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Relm USB will definitely be useful. The thing about the Guardian is that it was tuned for an era before magicites. USBs and CSBs didn't exist, ways to buff MND were rare at best, and ways to deal damage with WHT-typed effects were even worse off. (Only recently did Holy get buffed to 4 hits rather than 1 hit.) So you can probably go for the throat.

That said, you will probably get hit by counters if your damage isn't WHT-typed or SUM-typed. In theory edge cases like Yuna BSB1 or Strago BSB grant access to NAT-typed damage, but those aren't great for the fight even if you had them. It's possible to soak these, but in your struggling position you'll want to avoid them if it's not necessary. I figure that you might have R2 or even R3 Holy for this point in the game, but that you don't have any copies of Diaga. Also I'm guessing that you have some summon hones? My suggestion given your SBs:

• Bring along Relm/Arc/Ultimecia/Yuna/Tyro.
  • Relm can do just about all of the healing on her own between abilities and her crazy USB, while nearly everyone else can just attack relevant targets.
  • Grab Rem BSB as your RW. It's amazing so far as WHT-typed damage goes for someone with limited hones.
  • One of Arc/Tyro should get Holy while the other uses the RW. Both should have +holy gear. Arc can throw out his SSB whenever you like; it's mostly there to block gravity attacks.
  • Ultimecia should have +wind or +dark gear and appropriate summons.
  • Yuna can run with her BSB2.
  • The aim here is to unload on the boss when it's vulnerable. Make sure to blast the Launchers and the Wave Cannon with summon AoE so it opens up, then fire damage on the Guardian itself which only has ~143K HP. Arc/Tyro can use Holy, Tyro/Arc uses Rem BSB and spams CMD1, Yuna uses her BSB2 -> CMD1 -> spam CMD2, and Ultimecia can generate SB gauge in preparation for her OSB. You should have more than enough time here so long as this crew doesn't have atrociously poor levels, since the Guardian waits for a full 17.5 seconds before regenerating its parts.
  • For buffs you obviously have SG on Tyro, but since Godwall isn't ideal as your RW you should also bring Shellga/Hastega. (Protectga is optional since only the Launchers have a chance at physical damage.) Also make sure to attack confuse resist.

Also consider Alphinaud. His BSB is summoning and has a command that restores hones. In any case summoning/holy is the way to go, and just kill the wave cannon thingy ASAP instead of faffing about with the hot potato minigame you're "supposed" to do.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I did the curada nightmare with summons rather than holy partly because I had a decent collection of soul breaks that boosted the party's magic, but none that boosted their mind.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

So, now that I have Curada (and Ultima), is there any recommended order to do the remaining Nightmare Dungeons in? Like, will any of the other Records make things easier?

Meltdown is the other particularly useful nightmare ability. Valigarmanda is decent. Affliction Break has situational use but I rarely use it. The others are all on a scale from fairly mediocre to trash.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Valigarmanda would be amazingly useful for the Valigarmanda record, but sadly that doesn't really work...

It'd probably be helpful for Neo Bahamut too, although I'm not entirely sure how multi-element summons interact with his gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I tried multiplayer. The best part is where everyone else disconnects and then I have to control eight characters and I have no idea what the soul breaks on six of them actually do.