Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Except the Master requirements forbid black magic on the magic boss and dumb poo poo like Ultima Buster just loving hit you with max damage all-party attacks that even my maxed out Cloud dies to in a few hits and he has the most ducking health of any character I own. If he can't even tank hits how the gently caress are a bunch of paperweight shitbirds like Terra or Lulu supposed to even survive long enough to cast spells?

This is the loving worst because I'm literally being gated from all the other content at this point just because I can't bother to waste my time trying to throw level 99 idiots at overleveled enemies. It's not fun at all.

Each particular Nightmare Record is geared towards a basic class of attacks, such as the Ultima record wants Black Mages, Crushdown wants Combat characters, Reraise wants White Magic, etc. And then the Nightmare bosses themselves are gimmick puzzle fights that basically ask you to make a team based around it's gimmick and follow the strategy listed in the game.

Example: Ultima Buster is designed around a team of black mages, where after dealing enough damage to it with spells, it gains reflect and summons a Mana Sphere that reacts differently depending on what element of spell hits it. You'd then use the right elements to cause the mana sphere to backfire on the boss before it charges up it's Nightmare Ultima.

Bringing a team that can gets a Nightmare Boost is important so you can follow the gimmick (or at least follow it enough to not get punished), because if you try to circumvent the fight with the wrong types of abilities, it will usually just destroy you outright, such as if you take Cloud to the Ultima Buster fight, Ultima Buster will just murder him outright if you attack with Cloud. You need to carefully read and understand what the boss does and what it's expecting out of you, because it plainly lists the strategy for it underneath the mastery requirements when you're in the final fight in that Nightmare record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Then tell us what your party loadout is and what boss you’re fighting so we can tell you what you’re doing wrong and help you instead of you just angrily yelling about how you can’t do anything because you’re missing something.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm going to try to use Echo, Vincent, Terra, Sarah (for healing), and maybe Tyro? Looking at my skills I'm kinda lacking in the magic department (the elemental quadstrikes kinda negated them for me) so what spells should I waste resources on?

the cheapest way to go about it would be to go with 4* black magic abilities (Firaja, Thundaja, Blizzarja, etc), and upgrade them up to around rank 4 to get as many uses out of each as you can.
5* black magic abilities such as Chain Firaga and Chain Thundaga are also useful, but they're more expensive, so if you don't have the orbs to make them and increase the number of uses they have, it might not be quite as useful to you at the moment.

against Ultima Buster, if you want to beat the boss and worry about mastery later, just make a few copies of Firaja and Thundaja with a couple of ranks in each. This way, when the boss goes into it's second form, you can just focus your fire and lightning element spells on the mana sphere, causing massive damage on the boss.

if you do want to do mastery, then include a Water element spell (one of the following: Water, Watera, Waterga, Waterja) and a non-elemental spell (Flare or Ruin would be your best choices), and use them on the mana sphere once each while you're casting fire and lightning spells on that sphere.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

In the long run, Flare would be better to put resources in, since it's a 5* ability. Ruin would be a "create it just so you can quickly fulfill the mastery requirements and never use it again" sort of thing.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Prav posted:

don't waste your orbs on flare, non-elemental damage abilities are garbage

actual elements are stupidly powerful, but it's not a bad idea to have usable non-elemental abilities when you run into something that NE would be useful for. those instances are not as common as you get into the current hard difficulty content, but for those rare instances it's not a beyond terrible idea to have Flare and/or 5* Bahamut kicking around. Lord knows I've gotten use out of Omega Drive and Full Charge

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

I've been trying to get a physical holy team ready for the 3* shadow dragon magicite for a while now, but I'm working from scratch with some of the most basic-rear end SBs. I'm hoping to maybe get something good from RoP or any of the fest draws, but as it is, it's mostly just BSBs. Mind if I get some feedback in the meantime on some stuff I could do or what not?

As it is, my team is:

Warrior of Light, OSB, with Divine Cross and Guardbringer, Lionheart RM
Pecil, BSB1, with Assault Saber and I dunno what else, enHoly LMR, not sure yet on the RM
Agrias, BSB, with Assault Saber and I dunno what else, Mako Might RM
Ramza, Shout, entrustbotting, Dr Mog's Teaching RM
Aerith, USB2, and the usual healer stuff

I'm 4* diving the three DPS characters, WoL is going to be throwing out OSBs as often as possible, while Agrias is there for holy imperil.

For what it's worth, as far as other characters with SBs I have goes, I've got Warrior of Light's Ultimate Shield BSB, Agrias' enHoly SSB and OSB, and Beatrix's BSB1. Is there anything I should do differently or change, or just pray for something better in a future draw?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

I guess I don’t know what to do other than just attempt to continue dealing damage and hope for the best. I could replace Aerith with Yuna for her USB1?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

pichupal posted:

Have you tried going through it yet? I think the Enholy LMR on Pecil in particular should make getting past the first Black Fang considerably easier. It's roughly a bit more then 100k you need to deal in about 10 seconds? You could even potentially drop Proshellga on Aerith and just go with Madeen or De-dia to squeeze extra damage out (and build SB faster to that USB).

And if it doesn't, you can always just sacrifice Ramza. Make Ramza go Shout -> Wrath -> Entrust, and then make Aerith bonk him once and that should ensure he'll be the one at the lowest HP and will die. Been a while since I did Shadow Dragon though so I could be misremembering a step in the AI.

I actually haven't yet, since I'm still working on grinding orbs (rank 3 on divine cross and guardbringer, which I can work with, but only rank 2 on both assault sabers) and EXP (Pecil is level 88, Agrias is level 78). But when I get around to at least getting Agrias to a higher level, I can give those strategies a shot, thanks.

meanwhile, hoofah, it feels like RoP hasn't been treating me too well this time around.

Type 0: Ace enFire LMR
FFT: Agrias OSB
XV: Gladio OSB (dupe)
XIV: Minfilia USB
XIII: Fang BSB2
XII: Penelo BSB2
XI: Shantotto LMR1 (dupe)
X: Rikku LMR1
IX: Kuja BSB1 (dupe)
VIII: Squall USB1
VII: Cloud BSB1

Some okay stuff, but X, VIII, and VII were complete duds on top of three dupes from other realms. VI, III, and II, I can give or take, but I hope V, IV. and I end up with some decent pulls by the time this is over.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

adding onto previous RoP pulls,

VI: Locke BSB 1
V: Xezat BSB
IV: Rydia BSB1
III: Luneth USB1 (dupe)

and then the LMR lucky gave me Exdeath enDark LMR and Prompto doublecast LMR. Exdeath's LMR is nice, but I don't have too much for him. Prompto's is also really nice, but it's a dupe.

It's just been a long string of middling to disappointing pulls, and I just hope something nice pops up from the USB Lucky draw and/or one of the fest banners to make up for some lousy luck I've been having lately.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

here's the final damage report on the RoP and lucky draws:

Type 0: Ace enFire LMR
FFT: Agrias OSB
XV: Gladio OSB (dupe)
XIV: Minfilia USB
XIII: Fang BSB2
XII: Penelo BSB2
XI: Shantotto LMR1 (dupe)
X: Rikku LMR1
IX: Kuja BSB1 (dupe)
VIII: Squall USB1
VII: Cloud BSB1
VI: Locke BSB 1
V: Xezat BSB
IV: Rydia BSB1
III: Luneth USB1 (dupe)
II: Emperor BSB2
I: Garland USB1

LMR Lucky: Exdeath enDark LMR, Prompto LMR (dupe)
USB Lucky: Exdeath USB1, Onion Knight USB1 (dupe), Kimahri USB

The highlights were Minfilia USB, Garland USB1, and the results of the USB lucky. The rest is a mix of okay but unexciting (most of the BSB/3 pulls) to terrible (dupes, Cloud BSB1 and Squall USB1). And even with the good stuff, there's nothing particularly exceptional. RIP my mythril.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Lights posted:

I was super excited when I pulled four disco balls in the USB lucky. But it was a dupe Faris USB2, two terrible Gilgamesh USBs (high retaliate, and random chase) , and Cloud of Darkness's lovely USB. Yuck.

CoD’s USB is pretty solid. The chaser isn’t great, since it’s AoE with one hit, and there’s not much high difficulty multi-target fights where you’d use it, but it does good work. If you already have great dark magic, then yeah you can sideline CoD for other picks, but it’s still a pretty alright USB.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what's Magicite Shadow Dragon's gimmick again? I have to deal a certain amount of damage in first few turns right?

Also any of the 3* magicites worth grinding for?

Enkidu and Unicorn, imo. Enkidu is a party heal and esuna. Unicorn is major regen and astra. Unicorn is more valuable thanks to the astra, but Enkidu's healing is nice if you need a quick emergency medica.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Been grinding a few 3* magicites for the monthly and managed to get Bismark down to 35s, which got me thinking "if I go more offensive could I get sub-30?" The answer is no and I got too cocky. Almost died because Bismark started spamming AoEs and only Arenea survived because I misclicked Lightning Dive and the air time let her dodge everything.

That 20 second interval from the 25 second mark where I realized this wasn't happening, but could do nothing to mitigate damage to the 45 second mark when it finally died was straight up hell.

Bismark hits hard enough that you still want some good defenses to deal with all his AoE nonsense. Especially Savage Breach Blast. That thing is gnarly as all hell. What's your team composition anyways?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

gently caress yeah. Looking forward to this, even if it ends up being mostly or all repeats.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

So overall it’s very useful then?

Wall is still very useful, so long as you’re outside of torment dungeons and any event fights that do all piercing damage. Magicites, realm dungeons, and crystal towers give you the option to bring wall, so if all you got is wall, then tyro isn’t going to get as much action, since you’ve got options. You’re still using wall a lot though. I mean, everyone gets it for free from doing the Acolyte Archives just because it’s so invaluable.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Augus posted:

I hope we get to fight xemnas and his big dumb space dragon
inject that yoko shimomura right into my veins

nah, I bet we'd fight zebra xemnas instead

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Alxprit posted:

Despite Kingdom Hearts sucking rear end I can't deny the usefulness of early awakenings.

on the contrary, kingdom hearts is good

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

I went in with 300+ mythril, intending to go like, 3 pulls on each banner. After my first three, I did two more pulls out of spite.

Pull 1: Squall Bubsy
Pull 2: Squall Bubsy dupe, Riku BSB dupe
Pull 3: Yuffie LMR
Pull 4: Riku Arcane x2, Sora USB Dupe
Pull 5: Sora Arcane x2, Sora Awakening

I've got one pull remaining from my initial stockpile, then whatever else I can scrounge up in the meantime. I'm just gonna spend the rest on banner 2. I got some good loot in the end, just mostly nothing I really wanted until the last two pulls. Squall bubsy and Yuffie LMR are nice to have at least.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Seems we are also getting a 500gem usb select:

Hype!

If godwall is included, I’m totally pulling this.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Lots of new stuff this morning!

40x #1
Fang USB1
Zell USB
Rydia USB1
Naabat USB (dupe)
Gladiolus OSB (dupe)

40x #2
Aerith USB1
Vaan OSB
Vanille LMR2
Ashe BSB
Strago BSB
Steiner BSB
Terra BSB2 (dupe)

500 Gem Pull
Tyro USB1
Selphie Glint
Lenna BSB1

USB select was Godwall

Aside from Godwall, nothing super outstanding, I feel, but it gives me a lot more options than I had before.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Yes, you should be leveling up the characters that you’re using to level 99. With mote dungeons, you can get away with having some characters not at level 99, but the closer to level 99, the better.

Do you mind posting what team you’re using and what they’re using to see what you’re working with?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

what soul breaks are they equipped with? Arcanes are worthless in mote dungeons, because you get two bars per character, and those two bars are all you have to use.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

-Machinist Offerings because they do so little damage and aren't even good at what they're supposed to do.

spark offering does good work with prompto using it :colbert:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

It’s true that they could be better, but when the choices are: bringing a source of imperil like spark offering or mark of darkness to a boss that I could use imperils on where it makes sense (especially on a magicite where bringing breaks doesn’t make sense) or just sucking poo poo and making do without, I’ll take the imperils every time. I’d rather try rolling the dice for imperils than not try at all.
Hell, if I got a chain, I’d be more likely to bring it, since at worst, it’s just extra hits for the chain.

Yeah, the imperil rates should be better, but they’re still useful, especially on someone who has an lm that gives them a chance to inflict imperils.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Einhander collab when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

fridge corn posted:

The amount of time I spend on this game is merely enough to run 3 battles and collect the daily rewards. I am not looking forward to going through all my vault trash and crushing it into rainbow gems or whatever

You don’t really need to do it. I’m keeping most of my vault trash, especially all the 5* and above armors, and just venting all the new dupes and trash into the rainbow crystal furnace as I get them. If it’s too much of a hassle and you don’t want to do it, then don’t. If you do want to do it, go for it.

But you really don’t need to do it, so don’t feel pressured to do it if you don’t want to.