Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How is Dervish in NZT's avoid category but Omega Drive isn't? It's comparable to Omega Drive in most respects (including that nonelemental business), but you want to pull out OK for it rather than Noctis/Cloud/Firion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Someone mentioned in the last thread that BSBs were good for their longevity against the Weapons, and after trying out these folks I can't disagree. The start was a bit touchy with Y'shtola being forced to hardcast both her BSB and Shellga, but overall having those bubbles and instacast CMD1 heal evened out. The plan was to use Noctis SSB to fire anything with a longer cast time, like SBs/Dr. Mog RM/Full Charge. Curilla USB/BSB was also around for extra ATK buffs and Radiant Shield - she didn't actually use many of her BSB commands because she was juggling utilities.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I want to point out that with this event Gau has finally stopped being a joke. To put it into perspective Gau USB is a straight copy of Orlandeau USB, only swapping Double Knight for Double Combat/Celerity.
Oh holy balls that's wonderful. :allears: I have Gau BSB and it's staggering in how awful it is.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

eelmonger posted:

That was me, and yeah they're still great against Ultima. My team was: Vaan BSB, Zell BSB1, Noctis BSB, Ramaza BSB2, and Relm USB+BSB. I had been trying to make Greg work because he has that dispel command, but it turns out Ultima doesn't cast mighty guard that often, so I just gave Ramaza banishing strike and subbed in Vaan (who I forgot existed, but is perfect for this fight) and everything clicked. Turns out quad-breaking defense when you have to rely on non-elemental damage is actually useful.
I've passed on Vaan BSB when it's come up before in selections and this kind of stuff keeps yelling in my face that I was dumb for doing so. I also realized afterwards that I have Zell BSB1 but :shrug:.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Status effects are solidly in the grave right now. Any fight where they'd work is easy enough that you don't need it, and any fight where they might be useful they won't work.
The unfortunate thing is that there are models for status effects that aren't just silver bullets vs. invincible blocks to them.* The big thing you need to do at the very start, however, is to make sure that any one status effect won't utterly cripple a target. And for reasons of corporate complacency (ie, why innovate when people will pay you large sums of money regardless) DeNA is not about to fix the problem at its root even if they should.

*D&D 4E of all things (given the ossified nature of the TRPG industry) puts the ruder status effects on strict timers, loose timers that bosses will run down quickly, tightly limited abilities, or some combination of the three. And even lesser status effects don't last for unlimited amounts of time. Meanwhile Diablo 3 and Cosmic Star Heroine both use a model of escalating resistance - if you hit a boss with Status Effect X, then each additional instance of that after the first is harder and harder to proc.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You will be totally fine with that gear on the FF4 200 CM. It's not hard to hit-and-run the trash if you need to, and the biggest concern you might have had in killing the Shadow Dragon fast is made easy by your AoEs. 200 CMs used to be more difficult because you'd have problems fitting a whole suite of Proshellga/hastega/Wall/damage buffs in, but nowadays you can just go with RW Tyro USB3 and win via sheer tenacity.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

In that case I will definitely sacrifice one of the mythrils from each set to finish them.

In other news, gently caress that 220 Corridor of Trials thing. Don't attack the bombs, they explode. Attack them, they counter and explode. Kill them and they're resummoned!

I know Valigarmanda and leaving them on low health is the solution but it's kind of an arseache.
It's more that they counter physical attacks to potentially explode. Either bring along an all-magic team that will periodically stomp them, or have your physical characters only attacking the boss if they can't one-shot the adds. None of them have all that much defense for this difficulty; at most they have 40K HP/3300 DEF/6000 RES. With one buff to an appropriate stat you can probably cap each hit of a multi-target AoE like Valigarmanda/5* spellblade ice AoE/various BSB CMD2's.

In other news I somehow managed to get Tidus BSB1 on a Crystal Tower dollar draw. I dunno when I'll use it in this speed-based meta, but at least now I have a persistent source of enwater for him? :shrug:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That was surreal. Somehow the new Torments won't work on my phone or my tablet, but they will work just fine on my emulator. Note the present tense there - even after walking through the cutscene and the realm-specific blurb on the emulator, the icon still won't show up on my phone. Not even entering the dungeon and waiting right outside the boss encounter fixes the problem.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

This is the path of all gacha games, hemorrhaging players as they start to travel deep into their own assholes in a frantic attempt to lure in bigger whales.
How long do most gacha games last? Or, to speak more generally, how long do most free-to-play games last? Currently FFRK is at three years, and having never given a care about the market before I dunno where that is in the standard life cycle. (I also used to play Warframe several years ago, and while that's still going very strong I assume it's a fortunate aberration for Digital Extremes.)

Also it would be cool to see some (some) of these design concepts iterated and thoroughly polished into a standalone product, but I doubt that's financially viable.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 12, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Some good news for the A++ Elmdore fight is that his Ultimate Blinding Darkness doesn't remove Wall. While it is a -DEF/-RES AoE, it applies each debuff separately (as status IDs 604 and 607, respectively) rather than as a group (as status ID 608, more commonly Wall). So with that I managed to shove out a CM win...even if it did involve returning to that old cheesing strategy of hit-and-run. At least doing so gave me the leeway to dump SB gauge into Lettie and Celia so I wasn't facing a relentless pile of AoEs and status effects before smacking Elmdore himself. (My only FFT medica is Ovelia SSB - the very first realm medica I got.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Arcon posted:

Good news: I got Agrias' USB (and BSB) off the banner; Imperil for daaaays. Bad news, even with that and TGCid USB, I cant kill even the 280 difficulty nuTorment. I have 3 USBs, 4 if you count Alma's, (Also Have Gaff's) and I still cant make this work :[
What do you have in the way of party instacasts or other acceleration tools, regardless of realm? Much of my FFT tech is dated, but I was able to compensate by grabbing Aphmau as a healer as my one out-of-realm character and having Meliadoul act as the entrust bot. Aphmau's USB is an instacast medica/hastega/party instacast, so it's ideal for Cúchulainn to counter the AoE slow. Even if you don't have that specific one, something like Relm USB/Noctis SSB/Raijin SSB/whatever else might work to accelerate your team.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

125 souls of hero, 73 crystal I, 81 crystal II. I was waiting for this day. Also dang I've gotten 90 Crystal III, which is enough for half of the guys I have left to use them on. I really need to stop viewing them as "only for the guys who REALLY deserve it" and throw them on anyone who has a good relic I might use someday.
MC3s have been plentiful enough since their introduction that if you didn't miss one you only have 30 characters left at 80. (Plus or minus 1, apparently.) Growth eggs have also not been in short supply, so you can likely throw them at several level 80s to quickly level them without the need to grind on Sundays.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Apparently Tantarian's weird gimmick will only have the book open at between 900 and 5400 damage. Which means that you can't just bring your farming team in and expect to faceroll a low-level encounter like I did. Dealing at most 5400 damage is actually pretty hard - even one of my cores wearing no gear (but still at level 99 because I have too many growth eggs) hit ~6700 with Thundaja because I haven't owned most 3* or lower abilities for months. :psyduck: Eventually I managed to underclock things enough to get the threshold with a standard attack (p1.0), but drat was it hard to find this trap existed.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

What jerk designed this Tantarian fight.
"Let's translate all the mechanics as literally as possible! With all the multi-resist bosses out there, especially in FF12, what could go wrong?" :downs:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

fridge corn posted:

I thought element chains were useless in the new torments cuz of the realm chain??
Not necessarily useless, just superfluous for the damage component. That said Fister Roboto is more likely using it for the +ATK buff.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Does FF5 have any speed tech to speak of beyond Sheepsong? I barely got sub-30 on the 280 Torment and (as with FFT) I can't bring along Relm/Aphmau/Noctis without shooting myself in the foot.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

For hastega you've got Lenna's old uSB, Gogo's SSB, and Galuf's USB. Your only options for cast speed buffs are Krile's SSB (magic QC3) and CSB (QC2). And the only character who can use ACM is Gogo.

Also you can actually have up to 2 non-realm characters for 280 without much trouble. You only lose some elemental weakness and break vulnerability, but the boss doesn't get any damage reduction.

DWhale is where you absolutely need a full realm party.
I was speculating on DWhale for a rainy day scenario as I'd already cleared 280, remember? :v: My current go-to setup for 280s is to bring four in-realm characters plus one of the aforementioned instacast characters as an Entrust target. I'd forgotten about ACM as I find it tricky to fit in, but evidently if I ever do try I will also need some help from chasers and other newer DPS boosts.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Threw 100 gems from google rewards at banner 2, got Galuf LMR.

Nice!
Somehow I have both Galuf LMR1 and LMR2. It's effectively a Legend Dive but with mythril instead of motes.

Also I have an insane 9/14 relics on banner 2, so uh...wow how did I miss most of the USBs?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The D??? segment of The Looming Wall was a nice change of pace from speed meta all the time. Brought along OK BSB (a necessary evil for the commands, though Cid Raines might have worked just as well), Yda BSB/USB, Terra USB/BSB2, Locke BSB1/chain, and Y'shtola BSB. If I'd tweaked things a bit more I certainly could have hit 18 pushes instead of 17 pushes + 150K damage, but the reward is only 500K gil and I'm not that enamored with bragging rights that I'll rework a clear. In general, you want to have BSBs on everyone for when you inevitably run out of hones, and you also want an imperil effect for more gauge to fuel those SBs in the first place.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, Vitality, Bravery, and Wisdom are exceptionally high-demand for 3* motes; I don't run out as much as a newer player would, but even as a week 1 player I haven't been able to give everyone a full 3* dive, which is saying something.
I just checked and found that I have 28 characters left to shove 3* motes at. Despite this I still need a lot more Vitality and Bravery motes to fill all those record spheres in the first rows, 1680 and 1620 respectively. Plus some more of other types, obviously, but the difference is between having <100 motes left when I need 1000+...or having 1000+ motes left when I need maybe half that. It really goes to show how ad-hoc DeNA's process of adding new characters or mechanics gets.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It should be possible to implement some sort of tracker for that via Javascript code injection. The trickiest parts would be probably to differentiate enemies from PCs, and to not make it look ugly. At least with the timer function, the code for that was already there when 300 Sephiroth first launched. In a case like this we wouldn't have such luxuries.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Benthalus posted:

All the bitter vets here have fought various incarnations of Seymour so many times in this game that we've gone numb to him and sleepwalk through the fights because we have them all memorized.
Even then there's always going to be some subtlety to gently caress with you or help you out. In this case several things changed. First came the medal conditions, so instead of needing -MAG/hit the ice weakness/don't get 7+ Ultimate Ultima you just need to have at least two people standing at the end. Second, most of his attacks now are NAT instead of BLK so you can't just absorb and refresh your hones for days. Thus on the one hand you can't just solo the encounter with Vaan or Lion USB (plus Grand Cross) and expect mastery, but you can wait it out with Radiant Shield. Also they made the rotating weaknesses more explicit, so any given DPS only needs one each of fire/ice and lightning/water to contribute.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 4, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Also note that all enemies enter the fight hasted. I haven't cracked it yet myself but dispelling that is probably handy if you can fit it in.
They also all have 600+ SPD, so most of their turns won't be filling up ATBs so much as cast times. It's perfectly skippable, like nearly any instance of enemy haste outside multiplayer.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

4/11 - Snow BSB1 (Dupe but +ice armor), Lightning LMR (dupe), Decil LMR, Kain CSB. :toot: Worth it just for that last one, since by now I'm only missing wind and earth on elements that have chains. Because poison is a perpetual afterthought in this game for some silly reason. What was the first FF that distinguished between poison and dark as elements, anyway? I'm used to FF5 as a baseline from the Fiesta and in that poison was the closest thing to an "evil energy" element.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 8, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Golbez USB (dupe), Rosa USB (meh, though I'm sure a basic heal+stock+mblink is useful in some fight that hasn't gone all NAT), Ramza BSB2 (dupe), and PCecil LMR (meh but +holy as if I needed more)

dimeat posted:

Rosa USB is great and she has access to wrath. Also it can mblink a bunch of magicite stuff.
Blink effects are a lot more applicable than stuff like Draw Fire/Grand Cross because they actually care about relevant NAT attacks. While they don't cover everything, they do still hit most of what you'll care about. Pblink works against PHY and NAT attacks that deal physical damage, PHY attacks that deal fixed or missing health damage, or NAT gravity damage. Mblink instead works against anything except PHY or NIN that deals magical damage, missing health damage, or gravity damage. (Dual blink/Shield works against anything in either category and gets checked later on the priority list.) So between them the only things that aren't affected are weird edge cases like NIN attacks (very rare even for defense-piercing attacks), non-PHY fixed damage, or abilities explicitly coded to ignore blinks. Odds are that if the last category is showing up on a boss, it's not the end of the world because you're supposed to tank it/block it in some other way like Last Stand or HP Stock/diminish its effect with attack debuffs/deal with it and move on because it's part of the boss gimmick like with Ruby Weapon.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Does anyone (like maybe Enlir?) track detailed event loot anymore? I realized after some opening plans for the 12 Torment that I'd want fire/power orbs and 3* Vitality motes sooner rather than later, and I would hope to not have to farm them out or sit on my hands waiting.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

All that said, Souls of a Hero and MC1s/MC2s are embarrassingly common by now. The game will throw all of them at you either through specific events or just as generics, so don't be afraid to whip them out whenever you feel like doing so. By now veterans have probably thrown away hundreds of each, far over the number of characters ever possible to include in the FF canon, on memory eggs just because they don't have any other use for them. In contrast MC3s are still not a fire-and-forget mechanic, but over time you'll still get enough to fix up everyone with a 6* relic or other top-tier SB to level 99.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

MC3s are getting close, for players who have been here the entire time. I think I'm less than 30 lodes away from having MC3s for literally everybody.

They're definitely the rarest though and you'll be playing for a good long while before you use them on just anybody: use them on people you want to take on the long haul or who have really really good Record Materia. (Usually +Damage RMs, but there's a few "start with status" things like Amarant's Lv99 or attack replacers.)
I was summarizing more for Kheldarn's perspective, but yeah if you use all of the MC3s available since their introduction you'll have 19 characters left who aren't at 99. I'm currently at 23 left with 2 blank MC3s in the bank but I haven't yet poked the 12 Torment, which gives out two in the 240. Back when we were at something like 40+ MC3 holes I stopped actually running them through Sundailies in favor of just tossing spare growth eggs at them and by now my stash hasn't gotten meaningfully smaller.

I'd also disagree on the value of the attack replacers, since most of them are either unreliable (16% or 24% chances for 4* and 5* stuff) or too mediocre for the current progression (guaranteed 3* stuff in an age when R5 4* abilities are still behind the curve). At least starting status effects like Last Stand, Doom, Sentinel, or Retaliate can be situationally useful.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MF_James posted:

gently caress this seymour omnis fight, I can beat the 260 but not him
Bring along Hastega and Shellga for the inevitable rebuffs. As for your DPS, give all of them access to fire/ice and lightning/water. Any given vulnerability Seymour Omnis gets is coupled with resistance in the opposing element, but also a neutral status to adjacent elements in FF10's element square. So if you can't hit an ice weakness on the fire form, say, you can instead poke him with lightning or water without significant issue.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MF_James posted:

Yeah, I've been trying that, I'm rolling OK, Bartz, Orleandu, Tidus, elarra, I think I should drop OK and bring a second healer; I'm just having issues timing shellga after the dispel.
Elarra USB? Or something else? Either way that should get you far. Otherwise what are you doing with OK and Orlandeau? OK is better for elemenal coverage with Black Mage abilities, but Orlandeau doesn't have a relevant focus there beyond his OSB. Keep in mind that Seymour Omnis triggers his barrier change after so many damaging abilities, so you want to maximize your damage per attack. Lifesiphon is crap except for a quick windup, and similarly Support breaks (as opposed to Dance breaks) are a poor idea.

IIRC I may have brought a healing BSB along just to have both slots open for rebuffing? I forget, but Seymour Omnis doesn't have amazing defenses for this stage of progression. With some DPS tweaks you can get him down somewhere in the third phase, so one rebuff can be covered by the inevitable Godwall RW.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MF_James posted:

Ooops already blew my picks on +elemental stuff, unless maybe I selected that and I'm just dumb... Doubt it though since it's probably +holy and I'm swimming in holy gear.
Nah, Evoker's Doublet isn't +anything. If it didn't have Alphinaud's SSB attached you'd not even notice the thing.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Indecisive posted:

The Nightmares were released very early, high end characters were level 80, and before a lot of the current 5* skills even existed, and the ones that did exist were much less powerful (less hits, less potency, etc), and USB's didn't exist. BSB's are plenty strong enough for them. Many can be cheesed out with an appropriate USB/BSB, though for some you will actually have to hold back damage to work around the scripted parts of the fight to earn mastery.
IIRC chain -gas were 3 hits back then or otherwise not as potent as now, and in any case having more than R2 in any 5* ability put you squarely in whale territory. And even then it was tricky to not beat Kaiser Dragon before you could pull off the mastery conditions. Otherwise you had people theorycrafting about weird stuff like the MND breakpoints to cap single-hit attacks in the Evrae Altana fight.

Nowadays the default situation is that you're mostly using multi-hit 5* abilities, or if you're less well off then you're merely using BSB commands. Maximum HP is also higher, and in fact we have so many tools for getting around or supplementing HP limits that you can brute force a lot of the counters for using the wrong type of abilities. Even Valigarmanda can probably be slapped around by an appropriately buffed party that isn't exclusively using fire/ice/lightning, and Omega Weapon is equally laughable with enough Last Stand support to bypass the perils of Heartless Angel. In any case Rydia BSB1 will work quite well for either summon Nightmare (Neo Bahamut or Valigarmanda), since the boss gimmicks don't stipulate earth resistance.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

well diving both yuffie and eiko wiped out my stash of wisdom motes so alphinaud is a moot point. a quick question though, the moderate silence resistance eiko gets from her dive means equipping her with accessories that have less than major resist silence is redundant, right? they don’t stack, they overwrite?
Status resists stack just fine, though don't expect them to do anything against Neo Torments because :byodood: game design is hard and we gotta make silver bullets to counter all those drat defenses we gave the players instead of backing up and actually designing a proper basis for qualitative status effects. AFAIK this is the general procedure for status effects against players - even PC-on-PC status effects apparently use this rather than the flat rates for PC-on-monster.
  • If the target is immune, the status effect is blocked.
  • Otherwise, if the status effect is auto-hit then it succeeds.
  • Otherwise, find the relevant Hit Rate (H) and Resistance (R). H is between 1 and 100, while R is 1 with no resistance effects or is the sum of all resistance values from effects (minor = 2 or 3, moderate = 10 or 11, major = 100 or 101).*
  • The net hit rate (NHR) is then 3% + 3% * (H/R), rounded up to the nearest percent. (For H = 100 and R = 1 you get NHR = 303%, hence the wealth of 303% chances to hit in AI logs.)
  • Cap NHR at 100%.
  • Apply Affliction Break (* 0.5) or Fujin SB (* 0.75) to NHR, rounding up to the nearest percent, unless the status effect is gravity (%HP) damage.
  • Generate a random number between 1 and 100. If it is over NHR, the status effect is blocked.
  • Otherwise, if Astra is active then block the status effect and remove Astra. This does not function against gravity damage.
  • Otherwise the status effect succeeds.
There are a few things to take away here. First, stacking status resists can be useful, but combining tiers of resistance isn't worth it. Second, minor resistance isn't going to cut it against major bosses on its own because you're still left with 153% or 103% NHR which then still caps and auto-hits. Third, enemy imperils count as status effects and in fact usually get some chance to hit in the AI logs. Last, Affliction Break and Fujin SB apply after the 100% cutoff, so with them you can always apply some resistance to bosses with multiple status effects or to otherwise unstoppable imperils.

*You get +1 R for each source of resistance with synergy, but it hardly matters unless you're stuck with multiple instances of minor resistance.

MF_James posted:

I did not know this, I assume behind the scenes minor/moderate/major are % based or something, like let's say 25/50/75%, do we know if they're additive or multiplicative?
Elemental resistances are instead minor = -10% or -20%, moderate = -30% or -40%, and major = -60% or -70%. Again synergy makes things one step better, though this time that difference actually matters. I know that enelement effects also give -20% elemental damage taken, and apparently they stack additively as part of this calculation (So enwater + moderate water resist gives a net -50% to water damage taken). Elemental resistances from magicite are entirely distinct and multiplicative (so -10% from minor resist and -10% from magicite means .9 * .9 = .81 = -19% damage taken) but not currently potent enough to matter.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I got Cloud USB1 off a dollar draw.

:wtf::hf::getin:

I will probably want to rework my D280 team for the 7 Torment but I might be able to take down a D??? after all?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

That spar with Seifer is incredibly tight. When I unlocked it at 29 I couldn't win, and at 31 I just barely did. Is there a way to egg these guys up to 40 or just grinding a smidge at a time?
The side battle with Seifer is actually the best place to grind. But if you're having issues with it there's an easily exploitable pattern. Seifer's first attack on Tyro (well, front row, but only Tyro is there) will hurt, but his turn 2 Fira is actually 40% current HP (so it won't kill anyone) and his turn 3 attack instead targets Elarra. Turn 4 is AoE Fira at ~600 damage, and turns 5/6 target whoever has the highest proportion of HP. Turn 7 is the rude double-hit AoE but ideally Seifer should be dead by then. So how do you deal with this? On turn 1, have Elarra cast Fat Chocobo and Tyro cast Biora. On turn 2 have Elarra again cast Fat Chocobo and Tyro use Biora Strike. (By now the latter ability should be safe to use with Seifer at or below half health.) It may sound unsafe to go in, guns blazing, but given the AI and your likely stats Seifer is incapable of killing either character before his turn 4 and unlikely to do before his turn 5. This gives you time to push him to 50% HP, and so on their turns 3+ Tyro can attack with Biora Strike (or his SB) while Elarra spams healing.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

You can single-pull once per banner for 100 gems i.e. a dollar, instead of the usual 300. Don't let people reporting only their good pulls fool you, the odds aren't any better. It's just the smallest step into actually spending money on the game
I will wholeheartedly concur. For every good dollar draw I get 7 to 10 pieces of trash.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

This was basically me copying my 280 Torment team for Bizarro Sephiroth and throwing in Barret (as opposed to Morrow who would have been faster) to push for the mission. Oof. First thing? Bring a loving chain if you want to actually kill the Arms in a reasonable time frame. I didn't and they consequently took f o r e v e r. The second thing I should have done would be to have given Aerith Hastega (to counteract the occasional slow proc that slipped through) or Memento of Prayer (to counteract the poison procs that tripped a number of uses of Last Stand). Similarly it's best to have either Unicorn to grant Astra or Enkidu to clear the poison dots up. For SBs I brought Yuffie BSB1, Cloud BSB2/USB/ASB, Shelke BSB (hey I actually used this at the end), Aerith USB2, and some irrelevant Barret stuff.

Otherwise, the trickiest part of this fight is in surviving the Arms. Ideally you'd ignore them, but while they're still up the Core is invincible. And while the Core is alive the Body only takes 20% damage from most elements. (Everything here completely ignores bio.) By default the arms carry no weaknesses, and each seems to have quite a bit more defense than the Body/Core/Head. And you can't just whip out a magicite team without forethought, because for any given element at most one Arm can even be damaged by it. (I'm familiar with the existence of Tidus and Friends, so if you have that then go to town.) Once they're finally down you can go after the Core (which now gets less health than either arm and +100% weakness to everything but bio) while swatting the Head for good measure so the Body doesn't slap you too much with Geostigma in the mean time. After the Core drops the Body gets a +50% weakness to everything but bio, so despite its ~660K health pool it will still die in short order.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that while the Body takes severely reduced elemental damage it has no general resistance to damage. Which means I'm going to try this again with the non-elemental crowd to see how well they can do by rushing the Body down and ignoring all the side parts. (Edit: Nah, you need a chain to help out there. I tried but it was just so absurdly slow and my Godwall RW would have worn off at a bad time.)

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 20, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bartz BSB4 (the fire one), Sephiroth USB1. Decent.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What's the programming reason for having two separate clocks, anyway? It's not like this is a new issue.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

With my third copy of Gladiolus OSB I think I've got enough +fire weapons to start combining two of them. (I also got Noctis GSB but slotting it next to his SSB will take some rethinking.)

T/0: Machina BSB
FFT: Mustadio USB
XV: Gladiolus OSB (dupe), Noctic GSB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm trying to work out a brute-force solution for Kaiser Dragon via chain abuse. Doing so would ideally involve dumping a boatload of gauge to counteract the effective 1.5 million HP, and the fight does allow for some hit-and-run abuse. My likely teams at this point are either Snow/Josef/Squall for ice, Kain/Reks/Lightning for lightning, or Ramza/2 of WoL or Orlandeau or Beatrix for holy. And then on the side I have Aerith and a support BSB character - Faris, Quina, or Shelke. (The criteria here were to have both a chain and an ATK buff, as everyone needs a BSB at some point to deal with the mountain of HP and to grab the elemental/non-elemental damage combos.)
  • Should I try slow-rolling with BSB commands at the start, dumping SBs later? Or should I instead dump some SBs quickly at the start to then pull out abilities after the last barrier shift? Either way Aerith USB2 is around to speed up all those physical attacks.
  • I'm leaning towards ice or lightning teams - ice gets me Squall BSB2 and Snow BSB1's extra Last Stand, while lightning gets me an imperil and some extra chain help from Shelke BSB. Which team looks best here?