Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Alxprit posted:

I got my first 5* off of the common draw!

...it was Tiny Bee.

While less of a dumb meme, my daily draw 5* so far was some lovely shared-SB spear from FFIV a Rosetta Stone, whatup garbage draw buddy.

poe meater posted:

Looking for opinions on the book 8 choice. It looks like for a while, raines bsb was the top pick until recently. I'm guessing Lulu's ice boost armor would be better for my squall and the future as it seems ice boost is rare. Any thoughts?

8 has got a lot of potentially good choices, it depends on what else you have to a large extent. Rude's glove is potentially useful for Yuffie and I think Edge if you want to lean on the overpowered ninja skills for earth-weak fights. Maria, Edea, and Papalymo's BSBs remain fairly good DPS even in this age of USB Then Ability Spam assuming you can hit their MAG thresholds. There's a lot of +element stuff on the banner overall if you need that, I've been considering Lulu's myself because non-caster ice boost stuff flees at the sight of me. Part of me wants to grab Strago's because water mages are pretty uncommon and it has boost, too.

That said, we're going to start Realms on Parade like tomorrow so you might want to wait and see what you get out of that/free fest draws/fest Lucky Draws/etc.

Also how have I been playing this game forever and not noticed this thread, yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Speaking of Cactuars. How's everyone planning to spend their tickets? I think I'm going for a 50/50 split between Power/Earth/Holy and Black/Lightning/Ice.

Based on the 6*s I want, I need ~30 of most orbs except Black and Lightning, which I need like 200 of. So I'm just going super ham on that banner once I've gotten first time rewards for the Crystals/Majors (i.e., from today on).

Also of note: Lightning and Ice are used in a lot of the new 6*s; Earth is at a similar level but Holy...not so much.

Pull recap as I completely missed the thread during RoP:

-RoP went pretty well, got Squall USB2, Zack CSB, my first ice boost physical armor in Noel LMR, and Celes/WoL OSBs. Rest was largely dupe/ssb chaff.
-LMR lucky got my Queen's, who I have nothing else for; I've got plenty of lightning boost armor so even that isn't such a big deal, oh well.
-Ultra lucky got me Curilla's and Jecht's dark USB. Not bad, I have his LMR so he's reasonably solid for faster clears.
-Banner 1 was 1/11 Maria USB. If I'm only getting one thing, best be a good one.

Not pulling on banner 2, I have Elarra's USB and Cloud's ASB already, so with Faris's meh USB3 there and some dupes on the low end it just doesn't seem worth it.

Right now the question is 'do I pull on banner 3 or instead pull on the LMR select we are probably getting to get OK LMR to go with his mUSB which I'm probably going to select on the USB select.' I'm also considering Godwall for the USB select, but with no gen 2 chains I feel like I'm just trading shoehorning in abilities for shoehorning in characters for boosts in most cases. Will probably pull on Banner 5 as well, I wouldn't hate building out my magic lightning though I guess it's less important given Ashe USB and Maria USB?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Banner 5 pull: 3/11 - dupe Shelke BSB, dupe Prompto LMR, Shantotto LMR2

Was hoping for some magic lightning tech and was appropriately disappointed; all I have for Shantotto is her other LMR.

Looking ahead it seems like we have months of largely mediocre banners (the next fest in particular seems pretty lame) so...saving mode engage I guess?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

And with Demon Cross all the Orlandeau USB users gave a collective sigh of relief as they have a hard-hitting darkness option that won’t potentially get him killed if you have a w-cast proc on top of the double.

Time to add another hundred-odd to the ‘Black Crystals needed’ tally. Feels kind of like dark majors during the height of the ninja combos etc. coming out.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Speaking of the USB select, I’m trying to pick between OK mUSB and Tyro’s godwall. On the one hand, Tyro’s is a huge slot saver for magicite and I already have his LMR for getting it up ASAP, but I feel like he’s so mediocre at anything approaching a throughput role that he’s always stuck being a support. I usually have my support be my boost, though I guess I could swap to using Fabula Raider?

On the other hand, OK seems like he’d be a fairly decent all-purpose magic DPS with his ultra, and while I don’t have his LMR I could do that select as well? I feel like my magic boost situation is way worse than my physical because I don’t really have anyone like Ramza for it, and magic just generally wanting more boosts because of soft caps and no 50% boosts without gen2 chains.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm seriously considering getting Godwall and Tyro LMR in the dream draws. How useful would that be for all the nutorments and 5* magicites? I would obviously also LD Tyro.

For magicites, with Godwall ‘all’ you need is a gen2 chain and you’ve got the major buffs handled, letting you take the healing RW if you want.

Core characters don’t get synergy in the neotorments so it won’t help you clear any D??? ones (unless they add a core one), and you get Wall by default in them so really it’s just a one stop shop for proshellhastega in 280 if you can’t fit them all in given the good relics you have in-realm.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Godwall allows you to take Fabula Raider and if you give Tyro an Allegro Con Moto you can basically emulate OK mUSB anyway, plus the benefits of Godwall.

I was real close to just outright picking OK mUSB but thinking about it for replies and reading stuff here has swung it back to much more even. Tyro means easy buffs forever (though for physical torments I have Quina USB which is arguably a better choice?), but OK could actually contribute to Mage DPS and thus run alongside another support with a MAG buff, which they usually want (and also it’s not the hyper common ATK/MAG buff).

Choices are tough, man.

Also re: FFIV torment - won’t we eventually get the ‘fix’ to jumps that cause them to respect things that don’t take up in-battle time? Not saying ‘wait for a bug fix’ is a good solution and it’ll only make the timing slightly easier anyway, but it’s a thing I guess?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

eelmonger posted:

As the proud owner of Edward's "basically OK's mUSB" USB, the main difference between OK and Edward/Tyro/Other Buffers is what happens after the buff. Tyro and Edward are basically pure support (bard buffs, allegro, off-heal, entrust-bot), whereas OK can do the non-bard support, but is also a competent magic DPS because he has a dual-cast black LM, gets bonus magic damage from his USB, and has non-poo poo stats.

As a point of reference, I had to kick Tyro with his USB3 off my Quetz team because I was running out of hones with "only" 3 DPSes (admittedly, I stubbornly refuse to hone above R4 for anything). I seriously underestimated how tanky these 5* magicite are.

My shortlist for the USB pick is OK mUSB, Vivi, and Bartz, and I'm really not sure which way to go.

Yeah, I’d alluded to this in an earlier post. It’s a lot of what makes it so attractive, that he can provide a buff and still be Mr. Affliction Break (or protectga or whatever) and carry Meltdown/Voltech and still do some work.

Re: quetz, do you have an earth chain in your party for him? I’d heard the 5* fights are very grueling without one (still working on 4*s) but if we’re talking 16+ turns with...yikes.

Vivi was a strong contender for my list, but I pulled Maria USB on banner 1 so my thirst for a Mage double is a little dated. Still an excellent choice, especially if you’re light on mages for other elements. Bartz USB1 is horrifying if you’ve got chains and ok otherwise, and he also slots into several elements well. I’d say OK mUSB is probably third choice here given your having Edward’s, but if that’s not cutting it maybe you’ll want that?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Aerox posted:

Returning after a year and a half break stuff

Hoo boy. I have some good and bad news for you. Incoming word vomit...

The good news is that there’s a lot of new stuff! Chains are a new kind of SB that make all hits meeting a criteria - a certain element, or an attack from a character of a certain realm - do increasingly more damage. Ultras are like more powerful supers, and tend to give the character a number of powerful effects, like quickcast whenever they use a particular school or breaking the damage limit on all attacks. Overstrikes are single big hits that can go over 9999, and arcane overstrikes are even stronger, doing typically three limit-breaking hits, but they cost three SB bars (they divided the SB bars - most SBs take two bars now, but it’s the same amount of gauge as before) and can only be used once a fight. Glints cost one bar, are usually instant, and do something specific to help the character - a buff to their favorite school or en-element or something.

Legend materia relics give that character a legend materia, which they’ll have slots for if they’re over 65, and add various (usually) helpful bonuses, like a chance to doublecast or starting the fight with an en-element. They’re alternatives to using the legend materia you get for legend diving a character, which is a thing you can do with special 5* motes after finishing their 3* and 4* record dive. This gives them a bunch of stats and boosts (usually a status resistance, a boost to their primary throughput eg spellblade for Bartz) and two legend materia. There’s also a materia system, which are a bunch of things you get for clearing elemental-oriented fights that give your team assorted passive boosts, and you can even set one to be summoned during battle to do stuff on entry and for a while after. There’s more stuff but that’s the dime store highlights I think.

The bad news: despite this, a lot of stuff is still the same - you still tend to follow the ‘get up buffs, get your murder on’ pattern, it just is more compressed due to all the power creep from the above. The biggest change is probably the depreciation of support characters as much of the highest end content is very heavily resistant to breaks, but they still find work. There tend to be a lot of status or dispel wrinkles to high-end fights nowadays because ‘a lot of damage’ is frequently less of an issue with the powerful healing tools available. I’m not saying ‘same thing, bigger numbers’, but it’s not shifted that much in how things work in a general sense outside of adding a bunch of extra systems that need to be worked.

eelmonger posted:

This was actually with Galuf's chain. I had Galuf CSB and SSB2, LD Cinque USB, LD Edge SSB, Tyro USB3, and Aerith USB2 and I was just running out of steam. I had assumed Cinque USB would be enough to carry me, but was quickly proven wrong. I swapped Tyro for TG Cid with USB and that got me a sub60 but it still requires some precise last stand juggling. Bartz or Tifa USB would probably make things much easier but I got my wins so I'm happy.

I don't have chains for Bartz's other elements except water and I plan to Khmari cheese that. So maybe he's not the top choice. If went OK, he'd probably be 3rd DPS and Tyro would be an entrust bot. If I went Vivi, he'd be 3rd DPS and Tyro would be a bard buffer to get my 2nd faithga in. So it kinda seems like it's down to who's going to do more damage: OK under mUSB or Vivi under USB. I think Vivi wins that, but it would give Tyro less flexibility. Ug, choices.

Once I get there I’m assuming I’ll be running Ingus for chain/BSB2, LD Cinque with USB, and LD Bartz with USB1/Glint/ASB, plus probably USB Quina (over Ramza because ability slots) and USB/LD Elarra. I think that should manage? I’d love to fit in my complete Kelger because he’s a horrifying chain-building monster but I don’t see that happening unless the Galuf chain falls in my lap somehow.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Prav posted:

ok, i killed putrid malice. 40 seconds, not at all sure i can do sub-30 so let's just call it at that.

hey maybe i can do 50% damage on ??? for a few extra rubies, let's check his stats real quick.

oh. i see.

Also if you can’t field a full synergy team you get turbofucked, I think D??? torment bosses like flat out take half damage, lose elemental weaknesses, and become break immune with 1 non realm character. I’m like three relics and a dive or two from a perfect FFT torment team and I’m not sure I’m even going to bother till I’ve farmed up stuff from Siren for a full deck there.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Mine wound up giving me Ceodore LMR (cover is potentially detrimental, this is trash), Deuce LMR1 which is actually pretty legit, and Noel BSB, which is as mediocre as he is. :eng99:

I think I’ve come to a conclusion on Godwall vs OK mUSB for the USB select. Basically, since I have Quina USB, that plus the wall RW has me covered in physical magicites and torments, so it’s really just a matter of magic magicites and torments. Frankly, it seems way harder to put together an all-one-realm caster team (4, 7, 8, 9, 0 seems like the only ones that can manage it at least decently) and I’m nowhere near having the relics where I’d consider that anyway, so it’s just magicites, and there’s usually someone with 4* bard or white who can carry a defensive spell there. So I’m thinking for me mUSB is the better pick.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

Is there any cool jank with Deuce that I may be unaware of?

Mostly that she’s a fairly competent healer with a buffing BSB who can use Allegro con Moto so she can be real nice for mage teams. If you haven’t used them yet, her BSB is on at least one of the acolyte selects.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

Lame, but figures that her BSB is where her good poo poo is at. She'll probably end up in the 'I have their USBs, maybe I'll use them later when I have infinite resources' pile with Ceodore and Rapha and Marach or something

The best part of Ceodore’s USB is that it is a 6* holy boost sword with MND, so you can have a more competent paladin’s protectga/shellga last longer.

What I’m saying is that Ceodore is bad and should feel bad. At least FFRK is being consistent with the source.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Caidin posted:

Hey I'm super casual trash that forgets this game exists for long stretches of time but I did hit the Kingdom Hearts event that happened last winter and was wondering if there is any chance they'd do another like it for the release of KH3? I want to dump a bunch of mithril on my probably not worth it half disney boys.

As said earlier, nothing confirmed, but if I’m remembering right they did pretty well with the KH event so I’d be shocked if they didn’t do something when KH3 comes out. Hopefully it won’t be a super wet fart like the Octopath Traveler ‘event’.

Also Sora and Riku are pretty good if you have their tech. Assuming they don’t just rerun the old items I imagine they’d be given Awakening SBs which have all been crazy good so far.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

The FFRK stages of grief Salt
1) oh hey I should do my daily pull
2) oh holy poo poo it’s a 6* what wondrous thing will it be
3) wait a second I recognize that book
4) gently caress, Tyro OSB
5) wait dammit don’t I already have that
6) yes I do
7) die a little on the inside

I’ve gotten a bunch of things out of the daily draw since the change, but I think the only even vaguely useful one was Tifa BSB2. Otherwise it’s been dupe SSBs, dupe blank/shared garbage, and now a dupe OSB (which is probably the worst one in the game).

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Jecht doesn’t seem to specify physical or magical going from that so he’s basically Ignis with a chase now. Seems pretty legit.

What a world we live in where Gau and Jecht are great with their new tech.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Jecht was always pretty good, he was just never the top of the top. It's not like Gau where he's rescued from the trash bin, he's been consistently one of the better Darkness users ever since physical Darkness wasn't bad. It's just that he has to compete with Decil and Orlandeau, so he'll always lose out.

Yeah, I maybe should have said ‘top tier’? I’m probably going to be using him when I finally get off my rear end and start farming Siren, his USB1 is pretty legit. It’s too bad there’s no dark monk stuff as I think that’s what he’d ideally want, but at least his dive is going to change to include fire so he can get some benefit out of monk stuff.

Slightly related - for Siren, assuming Orlandeau/Riku/Jecht as my DPS, am I mostly looking at three copies each of Sanguine Cross and Dread Weapon for that shindig? If so, my poor MDO supply.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

iPodschun posted:

I went mass-Dread Weapon like Katarani but I had Seifer's chain to get the damage up. Death Throes + Reaping Scythe is also a usable ability combo. If you do go with Sanguine or Crimson Cross, be wary of using it on someone that can dual- or triple-cast because of the HP loss

I unfortunately don’t have a dark chain so it’ll just be dudes plugging away. Crimson Cross was not on the table for just that reason, but Sanguine’s 15% seems less lethal even if you triplecast it so I was thinking about that just to not need six drat r3-4 copies of the same ability. Might pay to put it on Riku or Jecht who may or may not get their LD for the fight so would only be at most dualcast it. Basically making three extra copies of Assault Saber for the Tactics torment hurt my soul a little so if my cheap rear end can help it I won’t do that again :v:

With a lot of Sap flying around maybe this isn’t the best fight for Ellara? I’ll give it a shot with her when I’m ready and see how it goes, otherwise Penelo will probably get a chance to step up.

Edit: Heavy skills are a great idea that I had not thought of! I think Cloud would be the guy for it if I go that way, USB1 and BSB3 could do some work.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 18, 2018

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

That's pretty nice of them! I'll take my free pull and run as that list is pretty heavily dupes for me (as I imagine will be the case for a lot of longer-term players).

Did the Pharos judges fight; was originally going to do a melee team but someone talked me into running summoners and that was probably for the best as it went very smoothly. With Auron USB1 RW the trick was mostly figuring out how not to die horribly from the relatively quick successive casts of Apocalypse Aero when MM/DMT are needed on people who aren't your healer. The answer: get lucky enough with doublecast procs that you completely skip the normal phase one and only have to deal with it once, which can largely be handled via Curada and a little more doublecast luck.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

3/11, Zack CSB, Cloud USB1, OK LMR, all dupes; to be fair I had everything on the banner but TGC OSB so that's to be expected.

The actual kicker is, OK LMR was my dream selection like a week and a half ago :negative:

And yeah, Zack's chain is real good - it's essentially a gen 2 chain that only goes up to 99, and also ups your crit damage.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Sesq posted:

Speaking of this Zack chain, what do you do with him if you have it but no other gear for him? Ripping Blast never seems to do an impressive amount of damage.

I got 3/11 Terra BSB, OK LMR, Noct SSB. The only non-dupes on the banner for me were Terra LMR and Tidus BSB

We will be getting QuickFlash Disaster soon, I think? Not sure if that helps really, my understanding is it's used to build SB quickly to do other stuff. Ripping Blast seems fine once you get the 5 actions in to get it to 5 hits? It's stronger than Assault Saber at that point, and faster to cast, too, so maybe FDx4->Chain->RB spam will be what you want.

e:f,b, kinda

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Making up for the Tyro OSB dupe 6* troll the other day, daily draw gave me Vayne's USB. I hear this thing is really good!

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Speaking of running out of space - the realm pulls are up. I did some for realms I'm feeling a little underrepresented in, made off like a modestly successful bandit:

I: WoL USB2, Garland OSB
VI: Leo USB, Celes BSB2
IX: Zidane USB1 (dupe), Beatrix BSB1 (dupe), Steiner LMR (dupe), Freya BSB
XIV: Papalymo OSB, Thancred BSB2, Alphinaud BSB (dupe), Estinien LMR
0: Deuce USB, Rem LMR2 (dupe), Seven LMR

Might do II at some point, I'm lightish on stuff in that realm though not horribly so.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

If I'm remembering right, this is a hybrid earth boost glove, making it pretty useful for ninjas and Red XIII if you're going to try to DPS with him because he has your earth chain.

Speaking of earth ninjas...

Bruceski posted:

V: Krile OSB, Kelger LMR. Nothing great, but more Krile. Kelger's isn't bad, but he's not one of the doublecast ninja.

Kelger is a chain beast if you have his USB - if he has two pblinks up he's getting eight hits off the chase, plus the seven from the actual ability, so that's fifteen hits roughly every two seconds if he's got the quickcast from dive up. I use him for Ixion and he just melts him. I like that style of LMR for fights with moderate levels of physical attacks, makes it easier to recover from having your blinks getting eaten.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Decided to pull on IV, got a dupe Kain chain, Pecil Glint, Ursula BSB.

Ursula has very little stuff to her name so whatever, though I guess she could get the Gau treatment down the road or something. Pecil's glint is actually pretty cool for a character with otherwise mediocre SBs.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Pulled on the FF9 banner today.
Freya USB/BSB
Amarant USB
Beatrix LMR
Garnet BSB (dagger of resolve)

Nice stuff for Freya; it's a shame I find dragoons a bit clunky, but if I decide to dive her that USB supports her trance well (reduced jump airtime, trance has a chaser to jumps). Amarant goes into the "I have so drat many physical fire attackser" pile. Beatrix's cover LMR is LOLbad but 10atk is 10atk. And Garnet's BSB is nothing special.

Still, 5/11 for 15 mythril, 3 of which are at least useable even if I'm not using em? Quite good.

Garnet's BSB1 is nothing special but having a lightning boost knife that's decent at ATK/MAG/MIND is pretty useful! I have Prompto use it in my Kraken clears because he doesn't know how to sword or spear. I like to think he's modified it into a GUN KNIFE for all the machinist abilities.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

My last two daily draw 5*s were both Seymour SSB.

I don't know if I should be impressed at the unlikeliness of that event or sad because it's not a particularly good SB.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

The FFVI Crystal Helmet seems to have disproportionately good stats for being a 4*, especially with synergy, so it can be decent for newer players who want a nice physical hat for VI realms.

Supposedly after the 11/13 maintenance we're getting some subset of the Golden Week stuff. Wonder how much of it will be cut, I can imagine the gnashing of teeth should we not get the free 33 pull.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I've done most of the discounted pull realm banners I feel actual shortcomings in by now, but the others are not terrible ideas when I lose all semblance of self-control I feel flush with mythril and want a shot at something useful. Pulled on VIII today and got Squall USB2, Rinoa earth BUSB, and Seifer's lovely ATK-on-damage-taken LMR. Squall's was a dupe but I have very little physical ice boost stuff so I didn't mind it at all, and Rinoa's is icing on the cake for KB when I get there. Too bad she's one of my least favorite FF characters, I keep getting stuff for her.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

It's 33-pull o' clock!

I got Nine USB, Emperor USB1, Ysale LMR, and Jecht BSB. Slightly subpar but 1) free 2) no dupes 3) my other 33 pulls were insane so I was bound to have a dud sometimes.

EDIT: Also did the half-price pull physical pull, and got two Tidus glints and his LMR (which I have at 8* already). Glints are...mostly useless given that I have his chain and USB and LMR? :shepface:

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 15, 2018

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Too many LMs for my taste. Is a Glint even useful if I got nothing else for the character?

Also kinda salty because I was planning on blowing the Alcolyte black mage banner choice on my friend Montblanc so I can use him, but now I have to get Raines' BSB claws.

I think the answer is 'it depends on the Glint and the character'. I have Terra with her Glint and doublecast LMR and it makes her pretty viable for Isgebind, but enelement and quickcast are really all a mage (heck, most characters) needs to pump out some decent DPS given how solid the 5/6* spells are. Locke has essentially the same Glint so he might be able to do similar with the new fire thief abilities, but he doesn't have a doublecast LM option.

Also I don't think Raines BSB is as mandatory as it used to be unless you want to use him for holy DPS, you can probably do as well or better for Dark with the USB and Dark Zone and/or Necrofear.

I'm looking forward to the mage lucky, pretty much all of those LMRs are excellent and for characters who I already have relics for and who are good. I've got a number of dupes (Ashe USB, Terra BSB2/Glint/LMR, Rinoa BSB2), but it's one of those rare banners where I'm almost as excited for the low end as I am the top end.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I seem to remember people being hype about banner 1 on the fest, I guess if you really want a holy chain it's got two of them? Overall I agree, it's a pretty weak fest.

Speaking of weak - did the magic lucky, 1/11 Terra LMR dupe. Of course I get the only dupe LMR on the banner I was excited for because of its good LMRs.

I think I'm going to try to get a pull in on the upcoming XIV event banner 1, it's almost entirely new stuff and most of it is pretty good so it's maybe worth a stab. I'll see how my mythril's holding out/if I can manage to get myslef to plunder some of the old crap I've been too lazy to do (story dungeons, record dungeons, torments...) for mythril. Outside of that I'm looking at maybe one pull on banner 3, a pull or so on the Wind God Gau banner, and nothing much else till brokenfest.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

So I missed something what does RoP mean? Google isn't helping.

Realms on Parade, where you get a 3-pull with at least one guaranteed 5* or better for 5 mythril for each realm (except Beyond and KH). I believe this one is moving to BSB/LMR/Glints only for the 5*s, as well.

Did the healer lucky because I was planning to and HEY MAYBE I'LL GET SOMETHING USEFUL.

2/11: Eiko BSB (dupe), Selphie LMR

:flaccid:

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Oh, I don't care about getting the skills, just getting through the 4 Bosses for each. I should have been a little more specific, I guess. Sorry.

I guess it's just a matter of trying until I get them. And I'll keep that reddit post in mind for when I decide to go after them. Thanks!

As a note - you may care about getting a couple of the Nightmare skills for later end-game stuff. Curada is invaluable because HP Stock basically is a heal now and a heal later, making it way easier to sustain your party's health over time. Affliction Break halves the chance of status landing, and while increasingly at the high end status is becoming autohit, this ability will still save you a lot of grief all over the place. Meltdown is also largely compulsory if you're going to be mage teaming at some point. I'm not saying GET THESE RIGHT NOW but keep them in mind, you will want them eventually. I remember Meltdown and Curada being a pain in the rear end - I think Curada can be cheesed with summons at this point making it way easier - while Affliction Break was complicated but very straightforward once you got the idea.

Also, Vargliamanda (Tritoch, to some) is pretty nice if you plan on using a summoner in the endgame as it hits three common elements fairly hard, but it's more 'a good tool for an uncommon role' and less 'something that you will be using in most relevant teams'. The rest are varying stages of bad or power crept, unless you have Cloud's USB1 in which case you may care about Omega Drive.

Really though, no rush, enjoy the game at your own pace! Just wanted to mention that they're not all completely pointless.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Did a pull on the XIV banner because it's pretty nice and has a lot of stuff for Top Nerdlinger Alphinaud, got Minfilia LMR and Papalymo USB. I've got FFXIV Poochie's USB and she's typically my go-to support for mage teams as a result, this will help with my main complaint of 'she is slow as poo poo.' I've accumulated a lot of Papalymo's stuff so this will probably cement him as one of my top Fire mages. Pretty nice!

Dream USB select question: Godwall or Palom USB (or I guess Vivi USB)? I feel like to some degree I don't need Godwall given Quina USB for physical and mage teams having an easier time slotting proshellhastega so I might be better off taking a second BLK doubler to give me a decent generic magic team (Maria, Palom, OK, Minfilia, Ellarra), but maybe it'd be better to play it safe? Everything else is a pretty distant third.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Shoenin posted:

Pulled on Black Friday banner against my better judgement

1 Palom BSSB(dupe)
1 Lunneth Wind OSB(Dupe)
1 Noctis AOSB

Ok that last one made it worth it. Not bad overall, since Noctis gives a very important niche in giving the bird to omniresist jerkoffs.

My experience - I'm too lazy to bother looking at the actual numbers - is that his AOSB has inflated potency to compensate for not being able to capitalize on enelement. You can, however, use his USB1 to boost it, I usually see him hit for 200k+ total with that up.

People can bag on Cloud USB1 all they want, Noctis+Cloud with some stat breakdown support from Vaan pretty nicely grind the irritating omniresist fights that seem to creep up in CT/at the high end of events into dust.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Re: IV - good god that banner 1 is stacked, pretty much every 6* there is worth having, if not chasing, and even most of the 5*s are pretty decent.

The new Full Throttle pull is pretty good - kinda surprised no one brings up the XI pull, frankly. Yeah, I know it's a less-common realm, but it's also an ability double USB and supporting ASB plus a nice speed meta healer USB. Pretty likely to be what I'll take if they end up being the same and I don't get any of the pieces.

AlexJade posted:

so the party that I had at all 50 was golbez, cloud, seph, paladin cecil and the FFRK main dude. Are there abilities I should focus on with this golden festival dropping crystals like crazy?

It's probably less important who you have leveled than who you have good soul breaks for. If you have chains and USBs for people, consider their wants first - black mages will want whatever chain -aga/-aja matches their preferred element(s), spellblades will want their preferred element spellblade, etc. Of note - most of the stuff that uses crystals is locked behind pretty high-end content so if you're earlier in the game it'll probably be way more useful for you to farm major orbs. For 5* abilities for the guys you mentioned, Golbez will probably want Memento Mori, Dread Heal, and Dark Zone; Sephiroth Dread Weapon and either Sanguine Cross or Crimson Cross (or just a second copy of Dread Weapon if you're worried about recoil killing you); Pecil tends to be tanky so he'd favor Divine Cross & Guardbringer over Assault Saber, though all are useful to have. Tyro can use basically everything but typically acts like a support, so get him Full Break and/or various dances, etc. Cloud's sort of in a weird place as he's gone from favoring nonelemental to favoring wind to starting to look at Dark - depending on what you do with him, he might want the wind Quadstrike, or he might want the Dark-oriented Heavy Combat abilities.

If you really want to farm for long-term, I think the general consensus is that Black/Ice/Lightning crystals are the best ones to farm, but Power/Earth/Holy and Darkness/Wind/Fire are decent combinations if you intend to use Knight/Darkness users too. I'd avoid White/Non/Summoning past clears for the guaranteed stuff, those are mostly niche.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

What are people's thoughts on OK pUSB vs Tyro USB3 for the Dream select? On the one hand, I have Quina's USB so I could technically use that plus RW wall for physical magicites, and mage teams tend to have more random characters with 4* WHM or Bard to slot proshellga etc. On the other hand, when I finally start getting some gen2 chains, that will start making the pUSB less attractive, and I do have some decent phys buff options already (Quina, Ramza).

Third option would be Palom USB but I feel like I should probably focus more on securing good buffs/slotsavers, and given OK mUSB and one BLM doubler already I've probably got enough of a decent caster core to be getting on with for now.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Prav posted:

i don't really use my godwall very much, since you can either just RW it, or the fight has autowall (torment), or regular wall is the best locked RW option (magicite)

i imagine people with tyro's LMR like it better

yeah, I have his LMR so it's 'gently caress you, defenses up' ~1.5 seconds into the fight. To be fair I also have OK's so neither has the advantage there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

People have been suspecting that we're going to get RoP starting up around Friday, so makes sense that they're hyping this now.

Sadly this is probably going to be one of the least interesting fests in a while, especially if we get the standard slightly worse adjustments from the JP ones.