Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

Snowball: After using Ice abilities, chases with 5 single-target Ice/NE ranged physical attacks, higher critical rate with Mog in party

More mechanics like this please. Flavor stuff like this is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Relm BSB/USB, Y'shtola BSB is about the long and short of it. Garnet's two BSBs have some minor healing commands, I suppose. And her BSB2's buff is what I use to stack with Vivi's BSB2 buff, as said above.

In the long run you're going to want to use Relm instead of Yshtola with Knight's Charge RM. Also bring an entrust bot and basically just spam her USB for the party-wide instant cast. Yshtola was my primary healer for like a year and a half until I realized she just couldn't keep up with magicite damage without having an instant party-wide heal. Relm also brings that last stand on her bsb which will be nice as a just in case.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

What's the best practice when entrusting like this? As soon as you get to two bars, or just whenever I need that instant heal? I only have 4 uses on Entrust right now, but 10 Wraths.
Will that be enough healing that I can dump Garnet for Raines? I just snagged his BSB today off AA8.

I think i have my Entrust at 4 hones and I haven't reached a point where I've absolutely needed the 5th hone. I have used all 8 casts in some of the 4 star magicite fights though so it is something you will want to hone when you get a chance.

Basically though you run the entrust bot with Battleforged or Ace striker RM. Use a wrath turn one, then entrust turn two. If you have something like Shelke or Morrow dived (which gives them haste and 3 turns of instant cast) then you can wrath>wrath>entrust>wrath>entrust>wrath>entrust>etc. and the first entrust will go out usually before the magicite's 2nd turn. Battleforged or Ace Striker will give just over one SB bar for each wrath; the damage being done by the magicite and the abilities cast by the healer are usually (not always though) enough to make up for the other half of the soul break.

Usually the first entrust will go to my healer, the second to a dps who needs more soul juice, and the third back to the healer again. After that it's gonna depend on the magicite, but the healer usually gets at least every other entrust. Since the healer is Relm though, you're at least still increasing the overall dps of your party (and those entrusts will go out pretty quickly too when you're using instant casts).

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

am i misunderstanding something or do i not know about Belias because Vivi is absolutely not off-element for fire

He's fire element so he would be weak to water.

I'm presuming he gets Vivi to trance then spams Vortex.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Is Bartz with just an OSB worth levelling? He has that delicious spellblade dualcast LM.

I was going to use my mythril this month to try and make my Ramza worth a poo poo since I have his Chain (and NOTHING else), but I can save to spend on Bartz instead if he's that good?

Bartz is a good character, but OSBs are kinda underwhelming if you can't pair them with a +infuse element soul break.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also, is it a good idea to double heal on Siren? If so, I assume I would drop Shadow? He would build the chain the fastest but I feel like he would also do the least damage.

I don't have anything to back me up on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if a legend dived Shadow with BSB could out-dps a dived Cloud with USB against Siren. Cloud's dive won't dual cast any darkness abilities and he also doesn't get any en-dark like Shadow does. Cloud's USB is really starting to show it's age IMO. Have Shadow spam the dark phys-blink ninja ability until he gets enough bar to use his BSB, then spam the 7 hit dark ninja ability and pray for doublecasts.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
So anybody have the math regarding how to best use Bartz? I have both his USB1 and USB2, I can en-element for wind, earth, and water, and I have his Glint.

Before I got his USB2, I was primarily lifesiphoning up to two bars, then en-element followed by USB1 and spellblade spam. I'm not sure now if that's still the best option.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Unfortunately, the only chain I have is Rinoa's Ice chain, so barely any synergy with Bartz there.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

saltylopez posted:

So anybody have the math regarding how to best use Bartz? I have both his USB1 and USB2, I can en-element for wind, earth, and water, and I have his Glint.

Before I got his USB2, I was primarily lifesiphoning up to two bars, then en-element followed by USB1 and spellblade spam. I'm not sure now if that's still the best option.

Somebody did the math on this in reddit if anybody else is curious:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/93dngt/benchmark_bartz_usb1_usb2_and_bsb_what_happens_in/

The conclusions:
- If the finisher on the USB2 is going to activate, then it will pull ahead on damage, otherwise USB1 is better.
- If you're using a chain, use USB1 instead.
- Thunder god mode RM makes USB2 pull way ahead on dps assuming the finisher goes off.
- If using two bars or an entrust bot, then USB1>USB2 is better dps than en-element bsb > either USB.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MF_James posted:

I don't even know how people sub-15 3*magicites, do you just bring all DPS and maybe OK or someone for a buff?

Like, currently, my damage doesn't really get rolling until about 10 seconds in to begin with between dropping buffs like godwall+OK and needing juice through wrath/entrust and a few hits from 4x/5x abilities.

Not that I've personally sub-15'd anything but it's likely relying on last stand instead of healing, using fabula raider instead of wall RW, and lots of instant/quick casts.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MF_James posted:

woah salty, didn't we play COD together or something a few years ago? Or maybe CSGO?

<BROWN TOWN> on Algalon :smugwizard:

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i think there’s just a fundamental difference in values going on here because personally i can’t imagine a world where i think attempting to 3* dive every single character available in this game is a worthwhile endeavor

umm... it makes the numbers go up

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

14 pushbacks, 112,947 damage. Just can't get to those last 40 motes

I think that's pretty much exactly where I got too.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I didn't realize that, I thought they had the Runic issue. That definitely makes it handy to have in the toolkit, and looking at it again I think it's my first instant medica USB.

It was regarded as the best healer usb for a while until more speedtech healer usbs started to become available.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
It's not completely relevant to the current discussion about Alphinaud since Cowcaster doesn't have his USB, but I wanna say that Alphinaud has been great secret tech for just about any magicite where I needed to fill in another dps. Between the radiant shield and buff on his SSB and the finisher and ether on his USB, Alphinaud can do very respectable damage. You'll probably want somebody else if you're going for sub-30s, but because his USB's "finisher" does a flat amount of damage and isn't elemental based, you can load Alphinaud up with just about any relevant summon and it'll do a nice amount of damage. And you'll basically never run out of hones.

I use Alphinaud in my Midgarsormr, Kraken and Tiamat teams. After buffs, Valigarmanda also usually caps without needing a +damage RM, so you can run a dualcast summoner RM alongside his LD and hope for triple-casts.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

how good on a scale of 1 to Bartz is clouds USB2?

I got this from my draw last night as well and I'm curious how best to use it. I also have his USB1 and BSB2. As far as I can tell, the only relevant ability Cloud has to take advantage of the chase is the 5 star wind quadstrike, which unfortunately doesn't work with his LM2. It doesn't seem like it'd be worth the effort to build 2 bars to take advantage of the BSB commands being combat.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Looks like JP is getting a greens shop overhaul so it might be worthwhile for global players to start hoarding their greens. Looks like crystals, arcanas and 4/5 star motes will be available.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Ripley posted:

The Daily Draw rate change might have been stealth-implemented with today's maintenance...

Not sure why they wouldn't announce it unless it's being saved for the video, but it's worth pulling today if you don't normally.

Ummm... yeah maybe. Just did this based on your advice and got Rinoa OSB.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah that USB is hilarious.

I also like the Inherited Heart chase doing more hits if Galuf is in the party. Keep doing stuff like that. The next step will be tandem soul breaks like from Suikoden.

Edit: Didn't notice also that Gogo's USB is basically an improved Edge SSB (though you'd still want Edge for Ixion).

saltylopez fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 30, 2018

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haurchefant USB. Hmm.

There's a thread on the reddit where some guy ran it through all the magicites and basically came to the conclusion that its really good for tanking, but unfortunately nobody wants or needs a tank in this game. (also I got one last night too!)

Edit: also that Haurchefant's ability selection is too narrow to be really useful otherwise. Basically he can work for Hades if your holy options are limited, but that's about it.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Ingus chain off the daily today. RoP has been a pretty good haul so far as well with USBs for Irvine, Paine, Iris and Haurchefant.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, I threw him in my party, and ran a dungeon to see his USB. It's so perfectly Sabin! And I love the Blitz Input, too.

It looks like Sabin doesn't get to Suplex anything in this game, either. What is it with Sabin not being allowed to Suplex? Seriously, if they made a Suplex USB and threw it on a banner, they'd probably make so much money...

I read somewhere that Sabin being the suplex machine he is here in the US isn't as much of a meme in Japan.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Those AASB's are insane. Terra's in particular looks stupid good with the trance quick cast.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Using the Entrust to fuel Elarra's USB also has the side-effect of increasing your dps also. Elarra usually gets my first entrust, then a dps gets the second, then Elarra the 3rd. By this point she usually builds enough gauge from Knight's Charge to finish out the fight and the remaining entrusts can go to dps. Most of my teams are 2 dps, a buffer and Elarra and Shelke.

Edit: Also your proposed team for Marilith sounds more than capable. If you try to run the megaman route and go after Ixion next, if you have access to an instant cast physical blink and/or haste it will make your life easier.

saltylopez fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 20, 2018

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MF_James posted:

Sadly I have no physical blink outside of ninja abilities, I'm lacking utility SBs outside of the Big Buffs

You'll probably need to bring Hastega to Ixion then. I'm not even sure if Elarra will be worth bringing there as I believe his dispel will remove the regenga.

Bartz with USB1 and his en-earth bsb was probably 75% of my damage for Ixion, Edge did some backup damage, but it was minimal and he was primarily there to alternate his SSB with Arc's SSB.

It's not something I've tried personally, but it could be worth attempting Ixion with a dedicated debuffer since his resistance to breaks is only 60%. You won't be getting any sub-30 clears this way but it doesn't sound like you're worried about that at the moment.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
You're probably right. Elarra USB is just that good. I might be more likely to bring Relm USB or Aphmau USB to that fight if those were available though.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
I guess for individual 4 star magicites maybe you'll have to be more specific as to what is causing you to fail. If you're hitting enrage timers then that's one problem with one solution, but if you're dying at 15 seconds then that's a whole different problem.

A lot of the trick with the magicites is figuring out the bare minimum of mitigation and the exact correct order of operations to make sure your team just barely survives the onslaught so that you can put the rest of your resources into more damage. Having access to an instant heal like Elarra USB means that whether the AoE the boss does did 3k to teh whole party or 4k to the whole party doesn't really matter so much since you can just toss out the USB and be at full health regardless.

Using resistance accessories for instance are one area where you can very significantly reduce the damage the party takes at the cost of just like +30 atk or magic. Maybe this damage reduction frees you from needing the instant heal from Enkidu and instead allows you run something like Shell Dragon to increase the vulnerability of the boss and you end up with a net damage increase.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
I think this game is gonna lead to my gf killing me. I'm currently something like 6/26 on the daily draw with 3 of those being 6 stars. Meanwhile she hasn't received anything over a 4 star.

Our RoP luck was pretty good though with at least one of us getting a 6 star nearly every night. I think just two or three of the nights had us each get a single 5 star.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

Aight, didn't mean to raise hackles. I was trying to make a lighthearted gripe about my pulls not being what I wanted and clearly missed that mark if people got miffed or think I'm being dumb, so I'm sorry about that.

Some of us are just really salty about having to use Vaan even though he shouldn't have been in FF12 in the first place, but damnit, he gets results!

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
I finally got a level 99 Evrae and I'm working on getting a second. How did you guys assemble your magicite decks to take most advantage of Surging Power, specifically so that you can use it in both magic and physical focused teams?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

ETB posted:

Don't make a second Evrae. It's not practical to fit in another after you consider other empower and dampen elements in the mix. This is especially true for fights when you need multiple dampens for different elements and even Unicorn to fill your deck.

Save some time for yourself and work on good inherit fodder instead. Health Boon is great for Evrae, by the way.

Well the second one was going to be for inheritance, or does Surging Power not qualify for inheritance? Also, I'll look into adding health boon to my current Evrae. Thanks!

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I meant the LM2s, which a ton of characters have. Are LMRs not supposed to be on par with LM2s?

They tend to be slightly worse: IC3 and haste vs IC2, 35% double cast vs 25%

The unique LMRs seem to be the ones that people really want, stuff like Ramza getting IC1 and a full ATB to start or the low chance of triple cast ones.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Forgot to mention the start battle with en-element LMRs are pretty good as well, and AFAIK are not replicated in any LM2s.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Hades seems to move really loving fast. I started casting Alma BSB right after his move 4 and his Black Cauldron at move 6 still went off before it. Is this one of those fights that practically requires two healers?

I single healed it on my one clear, but Elarra USB counts as like 1.5 healers. Not to mention that an unlucky Black Cauldron is basically an immediate restart if the wrong conditions get applied. Count me also in the not bothering to farm Hades camp.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

eelmonger posted:

An un-Astraed black cauldron is an S/L, you can get really lucky and have only your healer blinded or something, but if your strategy relies on hoping that happens, definitely don't farm this guy. The good thing is that you know exactly when they are coming, so you can time things accordingly, and, if you DPS hard enough, you never even have to see a status-causing black cauldron.

Yeah, I tried getting through it with Larsa spamming his USB but he just didn't have the healing output to keep up. I was very fortunate in my successful clear to get only manageable status effects.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
I don't really understand the point of putting a realm limit chain on an actual relic when the hardest realm synergy content already gives realm limit chains as the default RW soul break?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Does japan have 6 star dark matter yet? I could use some 9 star swords.

I think they recently said that that the 6* dark matter was a design space they don't ever expect to use. Instead they're doing the legendary weapons (or w/e they are called) with like 500atk with synergy.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

For SBs, the leftmost slotted SB will automatically be triggered when the gauge is filled

:chloe:

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Firion loving finally has holy attacks

I'm curious to see where this puts him on the holy dps charts for that guy who does the exhaustive dps list for like every character. Looks like he's currently sitting at about 3.4k dps with LM2 and Omega Drive. His USB1 should receive a significant jump since its basically TG Cid's OSB + enholy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nZijZ0yoMC448dV3o8I3XIZ2H8h3TeBZ64Nxyzu67Bw/edit#gid=1210904852

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Alphinaud USB is also secretly good against Fire/Ice/Lightning bosses as the follow-up attack does fixed non-elemental damage and Valigarmanda usually does enough damage to charge it with two or three uses.