Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

From the previous thread:

Should I pull a second time on this banner, or am I better off pulling once on each or multiple times on an upcoming banner?

Also, Cloud's animation for Climirage is hilarious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Last time, I got 2x Locke Dagger, this time, 2x Rikku Targe. The only use for dupes is to feed them to an existing copy to increase the power of it, right?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Are there any characters I should prioritize when trading in Hero Souls?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is this the final banner? As a returning player (who might as well be a new player), should I dump what I have into it?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Please rate my loot.

Aerith: BSB (White Materia)
Aerith: LRM (Flower Of The Slums)
Ayame: LMR (No Hesitation)
Cid (XIV): USB (Gauss Round)
Cloud: USB (Climirage)
Cloud Of Darkness: LMR (Spawn Of Darkness)
Cyan: BSB (Bushido Tempest)
Echo: SSB (Breaker's Gift)
Emperor: LMR (Soul Of Rebirth)
Garnet: LMR (Lover Of The Arts)
Gilgamesh: Chain (Historic Splendor)
Ignis: LRM (Earnest Chef)
Jecht: OSB (Blitz King)
Kefka: LMR (Conniving Clown)
Krile: LMR (Unbridled Enthusiasm)
Lightning: BSB (Focused Bolts)
Locke: USB (Burning Steel)
Marcus: BSB (Poison Impulse)
Maria: BSB (Meteor XVI)
Noctis: BSB (Kings Of Old)
Onion Knight: USB (Forbidden Wisdom)
Orlandeau: LRM (Supreme Swordsman)
Ovelia: USB (Divine Dispelna)
Porom: SSB (Sync)
Quistis: BSB (Hail to the Queen)
Rikku: LMR (Fixer Upper)
Rufus: SSB (Mako Barrage)
Rydia: LMR (Gifted Summoner)
Serah: SSB (Endless Blessings)
Squall: SSB (Blasting Zone)
Thancred: BSB (Kassatsu Katon)
Tidus: BSB (Sonic Strike)
Tifa: Glint (Zangan Awakening)
Umaro: BSB (Master's Voice)
Vaan: LMR (Undaunted Courage)
Yuffie: SSB (Gauntlet)

From what I gathered while trying to find out what each thingy was, it looks like I should build a Fire team...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

You have a good Firestarter kit - Cid (XIV)/Gilgamesh/Locke is a strong setup, but they're pretty much completely reliant on abilities so depending on your orb stash it might have to wait for a bit.

I've barely crafted anything, so my stash is OK, I guess? What do I need to look into crafting?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there any reason, as an essentially new player, that I shouldn't pull on the new Chain banner?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So, I keep seeing people say to Record Dive units, but I don't see anything explaining what that is. A Google search turned up this 2 year old reddit post. Is it still accurate?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ace and Rufus LMRs.

Always Never Pull.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Use the survey to tell them to add Mystic Quest to the game.

Also, I got BSB & USB for Bartz, and LRM for Krile.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Question: Should I spend Memory Lodes on Aerith's MC2, or should I just wait until I get to the dungeon that rewards it?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

rujasu posted:

Just go for it. As long as you are clearing events, you should never have a shortage of MC2's or MC2 lodes. MC3's warrant a little more discretion.

There's my problem. Right now, the lowest dungeon available to me is Rank 54, in CCFF7. A lot of the Event dungeons seem to start at 99, so I can't do them yet.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zurai posted:

You can totally do the event ones at least. Just refresh the roaming warrior list until you find an AOSB and summon that. It'll kill the boss in one shot (well, 3 or 21 shots, but one cast). This won't work out well against the Ultimate and higher stages but it'll clear everything under that pretty reliably.

Alright. I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Edit: OK, Necrophobe is a no-go since his barriers keep me from targeting him, and I can't take them down, but clowning Gilgamesh with my own Gil worked fine! Thanks again!

Will this also work for Crystal Tower and/or The Looming Wall?

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 1, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So, are Record Dives still limited, in that you can only do so many, or can you RD every single character if you want?

Bruceski posted:

For Necrophobe look for a RW with an AoE. Shadow BSB is a popular one because after his entry it gives en-dark and instant (CMD1)/fast-cast AoE (CMD2) commands, which can really spit out some damage even on underleveled folks.

Other notable RWs:
Orlandeau OSB: this was the main one for carrying events before AOSBs became a thing. It's a high damage hit and then gives Thunder God, which is haste for the part of the bar that fills after you pick an ability.
Tyro USB: Godwall. Haste, protect, shell, and 100% def/res boosts that stack with proshell. This is every defensive buff in one package. Probably better to go for RWs that help you kill faster, but know this exists otherwise the damage at heigher tiers will seem unsurmountable.
Various BSBs: in the top tier meta these things have gotten pretty powercrept, but the BSB commands may be better than other skills you currently have access to and they sometimes give en-element as a rider along with an innate attack boost and haste that come from Burst Mode.

Alright. Thanks for the info!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

For Necrophobe look for a RW with an AoE. Shadow BSB is a popular one because after his entry it gives en-dark and instant (CMD1)/fast-cast AoE (CMD2) commands, which can really spit out some damage even on underleveled folks.

That worked. It took two tries, because I forgot to actually select Shadow when he showed up, so I ended up with a lowbie Tyro and his sword AOE that did 56 damage to each barrier.

Also:

Kheldarn posted:

So, are Record Dives still limited, in that you can only do so many, or can you RD every single character if you want?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OK, who had the bright idea to not let you take Roaming Warriors into Realm Dungeons with you? :argh:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

There's no way I'm going to have the 400+ Mythril (that's not metal, but a gem :raise:) by the time that Fest gets here, so I should probably throw some at the banners...

But I want to have as much as I can for the Fest...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Said screw it and threw 25 at the Lucky 11. Got Longinus (Kain USB), Kindhearted Moogle (Montblanc LMR), and Artemis Bow, which gives Divine Heal to Rosa, but I don't know if that's a USB or SB or...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MF_James posted:

Artemis bow is her SSB, it has mblink which is good.

OK, now we come to the weird part:

I should have Rosa unlocked. I've done the Realm that grants her (Antlion's Den Classic), and it says I recieved her. However, she's not in my Roster. And no, she's not in my Party, either.

I also re-ran it, and did not get her as a Reward.

Why is she missing?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

The realm dungeons got revamped, including new rewards, in either late May or early June, but any dungeons you completed previously stayed completed, and you couldn't get the new rewards from them. As compensation, older players got a one time influx of mythril and mats based on how far in the realms they were.

OK, so then I'll just burn a Hero Soul on her. Thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

I feel like I should say at this point that if you're for whatever reason NOT doing Jump Starts, you will be pretty significantly behind and unable to catch up fully. Jump Starts are pretty drat easy and accessible in general (besides their high stamina cost) and are integral pieces in the puzzle of jumping up the difficulty ladder.

Get them done, they take like 30 IRL seconds and you only need one or two good DPS characters.

The problem is:

A surfing dog?! posted:

Which Jumpstarts are easiest? I've been getting my rear end kicked by the few I've tried that weren't weak to the two elemental chains I actually have.

I don't have a good DPS characters. Or, it's probably more accurate to say, I don't know how to set them up to be good DPS characters.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Same here. I don't have any Level 99 characters, upgraded gear, or skills like Shout. Oh well.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ripley posted:

Shout is in Book 5 of the Acolyte Archives, it's totally worth picking when you get to that stage if you don't already have a later version of a Boostga.

The Raid Dungeon and Phantom Train (Ultima Record) are the roadblocks for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

EDIT: Thumbing through the Jump Starts and trying to remember the trouble or lack thereof I had, the easiest ones (in no particular order) I'd think are Guardian (FF3), Odin (FF3), Shelke (FF7), Deathguise (FF9), Zalmour (FFT), Millueda (FFT), and Dainsleif (Type 0). Most of those, Dainsleif excepted, are designed to be taken down with whatever you have since they don't have any weaknesses or resistances, have pretty predictable patterns (or completely predictable, depending), and can be rushed down with raw brute force generally.

Guardian: Wiped my party pretty quick, through DVG from my RW. My Soul Break damage was about 1,000 per hit.
Odin: Wiped my party before I could do anything.
Shelke: Wiped my party almost instantly. The only Soul Break I got off did 600 damage per hit.
Deathguise: Started with Meteor and wiped half my team, then one shot the rest before I could do anything other than use DVG from my RW.
Zalmour: Wipe my team through DVG while I was trying to get my second round of SB off.
Millueda: Wiped my party pretty quickly. Took out my healer first thing.

Jump Starts are a no-go for me. It is what it is.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

2/11

I already have a Fire Chain with Gilgamesh, though. Ah well.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

I got Cloud USB1 off a dollar draw.

:wtf::hf::getin:

IllegallySober posted:

Got Tidus USB off the dollar draw for the water items. Between having that USB and two BSB's for him, it's probably time to dive him, right?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Did a dollar pull and two pulls on ff7 last night.

Dollar Pull? In the words of Ceodore, Huh?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

You can single-pull once per banner for 100 gems i.e. a dollar, instead of the usual 300. Don't let people reporting only their good pulls fool you, the odds aren't any better. It's just the smallest step into actually spending money on the game

Oh. Neat. I've only ever seen a Single For 5 Mythril option. I guess I need to look harder. Thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Does anybody know the name of the track that plays on the The Boys Are Back screen?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hogama posted:

It's FFX's version of the series perennial "(The) Prelude".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oDJE7TrXjI

Thanks! I was hoping I could maybe get it and set it as a ringtone, but I'm not sure a 30 min. ringtone would be a good idea... I'd never answer the phone!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I have 1k Gems. As a returning player, I should throw half of them at this, right?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Indecisive posted:

pretty much, these 5 dollar pulls are the only thing worth spending on in this game.

I pulled on the 'wonderous' banner, got Yuffie SSB and Nine BSB, meh. Picked up Ashe BSB from the selection, to give me a way to use her AOSB effectively (and its mage +lit gear)

Alright. From what I've read, for the Book Pick A Relics, you don't have to pick immediately. Is that true for these as well?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I ended up with Wakka's USB (Aurochs Spirit) and Larsa's SSB (Archadian Draught). Wakka brings me up to 3 Water skills (the other two being Bartz's USB {Crystals' Chosen, so it's Wind, Water, Fire, and Earth}, and Tidus' BSB (Sonic Strike).

I've been running Fire, with Locke's USB (Burning Steel), Gilgamesh's Fire Chain, Thancred's BSB (Kassatsu Katon), and Cid 14's USB (Gauss Round). Rosa's in my last slot with Divine Heal, so I'm guessing I'll want to pick a Fire relic from my Free Pick? (I also have Vincent's Fire Chain, Montblanc's USB {Trinity Combo, which is Fire, Ice, Lightning}, Jecht's OSB {Blitz King}, and the aforementioned Bartz USB for other Fire stuff)

If you add in characters I have stuff for, but don't own yet, Wind is the next element I have a lot of, but I don't have any Wind Chain gear (if that matters).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

Chains are pretty analogous to taking your car to the grocery store. Can you walk? Of course you can, but it's going to be a bit more of a pain in the rear end.

Chains aren't necessary by any stretch, but once you have one you're always going to use it.

(Source: I've beaten every 4* without a chain and sub-30'd several without chains. Then I got chains and halved my times)

None of that stuff is even unlocked for me right now. The lowest difficulty Realm Dungeons available to me right now are 56, and it's one each in FF7, FF13, FF14, and Type-0. I've got a loooong way to go.

And I guess it doesn't matter if I stick with my Fire team, or switch to a Wind team?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there anyone that can carry me through a difficulty 80+ raid? It's the last thing I need for Book Of Trials 5.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm sitting in the lobby for d80 Bottomswell now, if you're still looking for someone. I've had a bad habit of putting raids off lately, so I still need to clear it anyway.

OK. Never done a Raid before. How do we join up?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ugh. The raid dropped connection on me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I hope jonkun is you; otherwise I'm with randos...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Nah, I'm a lazy rear end who refuses to change from the default. You'll probably still be fine though.

Ah, OK. Yeah, they carried me through just fine. Thanks for the attempt, however.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I forgot that clearning out Book V opened up Dives for me. Time to spend the rest of today pouring over who needs what, and then not doing anything do to decision paralysis! :v:

Cowcaster posted:

this is the only gacha game i've ever played (unless you count overwatch) so by definition they are the worst draw rates i've ever seen in a gacha game

They are then also the best you have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: Octopath Traveller Collab is coming! :siren: