Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey so coming back to this after burning out around the first Tactics Advance event.

Anything important I missed out on? Anything I should pull on right now? Are all of the Acolyte Archive Selections just going to be uniques?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I feel like the new torments are actually a step in the right direction as far as the new content goes. Being able to get some rewards even without killing the bosses is a step in the right direction. They encourage you to use characters that you might otherwise never use in ways that you might never have used them. As someone who has been playing this game for about 2 years now, they feel like a breath of fresh air in comparison to any of the magicites or the old torments.

The record dungeons are also a decent way of putting in puzzle fights into the game though that last optional 13 fight was kind of a kick in the nuts. I started getting burnt out around when 4* magicites started coming out and a lot of my friends had dropped it at that point, but I feel like things have been getting better since then. Now if only they would bring back full throttles again. Those were always fun to mess around with.

Awww they stopped doing full throttles? I loved those since they meant I had to use something else besides Mako Might/Dr. Mog and Ace Striker/Battleforged. Actually are those still the go to RMs?

Also how did Null Throttles turn out? I missed those and having no access to SBs at all sounds interesting.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

5/33

Sarah USB
Raines USB
Montblanc LM (dupe that I just from the Realm draw)
Noel LM
Seifer LM

2/11

Locke Glint
Tidus LM

Too many LMs for my taste. Is a Glint even useful if I got nothing else for the character?

Also kinda salty because I was planning on blowing the Alcolyte black mage banner choice on my friend Montblanc so I can use him, but now I have to get Raines' BSB claws.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

2/11

Selphie BSB (dupe)
Larsa LMR

Eh

So I missed something what does RoP mean? Google isn't helping.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man these Bahamuts fights are bumming me out, since your RW is chosen for you it's making me realize all my teams have holes in them that I have been using RWs to fill in and it's starting to make think RWs are just a crutch.

Or maybe I'm just sad because the 200 Magic Bahamut keeps kicking my rear end.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How are you supposed to use Glints? For example I got Squall's GSB and BSB2 is there like a certain order they need to go in or something?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So getting around to clearing nightmares and take on Demon Wall. Apparently it blocks SBs, but that doesn't apply to RWs I guess so I take in Squall AOSB and he one shots it. :toot:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

KataraniSword posted:

Nah, that's an awkward description. It blocks attacks and SBs that are coded as Jumps, because gently caress dragoons trying to nosell its gimmick, basically.

This doesn't really have much of an influence in this day and age but back then it basically meant you couldn't use any of Gilgamesh's earlier stuff and it still means goons aren't the best choice for the fight.

Ah okay.

But man it feels kinda good, I'm basically breezing through these Nightmare fights. At least until I reach the main Nightmare because it takes me a bit to figure out their dumb gimmick.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Where do you get 5* motes? I'm so close to fully diving a character for the first time, but I need a few more Vitallity motes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finally cleared the Nightmares and proceeded to get my rear end handed to me by Bismarck.

So what's my best bet to get chains and element SBs? My best team is lightning based, but I have no lightning chain. The only chains I have are Warrior of Light's and Zack's, but none of the magicites seem to be weak to holy and I don't think I can put together a good wind team at the moment.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cattail Prophet posted:

Bismarck is kind of a tough one to start with in a vacuum. There aren't any real tricks to the fight, but Bismarck doesn't need any; it hits hard and its multielemental offense makes it hard to defend against. Sealion and Hydra are the most straightforward fights otherwise. Liquid Flame is pretty weird and gimmicky, but it's probably the easiest fight once you understand how it works. Obviously everything depends on the strength of your team, though.

Is it possible to do Hydra without an earth chain or imperil? I got Drogann's USB, Bartz earth enelement BSB along with his spellblade triplecast LM, and Ingus BSB.

Might go Sealion though. Got Terra's USB and BSB2, Rafia BSB, Lann BSB, and Thancred fire imperil BSB.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 25, 2018

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thanks for the advice everyone. Time to start powering up a few people.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The new common relic draw owns. Two days in a row I got BSB relics. First one is Noel's and it looks like it pairs nicely with his ice doublecast LM that I've had for a while and the second one is a boost healer BSB for one of the beyond characters.

I mean it's nothing crazy, but it's not trash either at least I don't think it is.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah I'm basically tripping over Godwalls, but it takes me forever to find a Shadow BSB.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How do Brave USBs work? I haven't gotten one and just by reading some of the relics it sounds like you do follow up attacks, but they get stronger each time. Also there has to be a catch otherwise there's no point in there being a level 0 and now level 1 since doing the USB sets it past those levels.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What kind of hones can I get away with for the 3* magicites? Honing up these Earth Knight abilities for Dorgann is pain because of how much Holy Orbs I need.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ayndin posted:

People have been suspecting that we're going to get RoP starting up around Friday, so makes sense that they're hyping this now.

Sadly this is probably going to be one of the least interesting fests in a while, especially if we get the standard slightly worse adjustments from the JP ones.

Are you talking about relic wise?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Varance posted:

We will be getting Doc Mog, Biggs and Wedge as cores soon. Cheating? Kinda.

Doc Mog has Wall as an instant Glint.

Wait seriously? Not gonna lie I actually like the original characters for this game.

Also another step closer to an all Moogle team.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Which of the samurai fire abilities is the best? Putting together a fire team with Auron on it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I've always assumed the cores were just what you were given when the game first launched where I also assume there weren't many heroes at first.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm ready

for all the materia relics

for all the characters that have nothing else.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm ready

for all the materia relics

for all the characters that have nothing else.

Only 1 materia relic on this pull I'm off to a great start!

I should probably pull on the realm banner this was my first Type-0 relic lol.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

AlexJade posted:

Am I crazy or missing something, I don't see the Realm on Parade banner in my relic draw or is it just the basic realm relic draw banner?

It should be it's own banner at the very top.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Out of all the XIV relics I could have gotten, I end up with a Thancred BSB dupe.

I barely got anything in XIV how in the hell

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

Could be worse, it was my fifth Alphinaud BSB dupe.

True and it was only 5 mythril.

But honestly I'm more salty about yesterday when I got a disco, it was a spear so I'm thinking Areana USB and then it turns out to be her OSB. I forgot OSBs were even in the game since they've been overshadowed by basically everything.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

XIII: Lightning Arcane

My first one :toot:

Are Arcanes useful?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh yeah, because the people near me use those all the time. Nope; they like to use mega heals and other useless poo poo that I can do myself.

Except the Master requirements forbid black magic on the magic boss and dumb poo poo like Ultima Buster just loving hit you with max damage all-party attacks that even my maxed out Cloud dies to in a few hits and he has the most ducking health of any character I own. If he can't even tank hits how the gently caress are a bunch of paperweight shitbirds like Terra or Lulu supposed to even survive long enough to cast spells?

This is the loving worst because I'm literally being gated from all the other content at this point just because I can't bother to waste my time trying to throw level 99 idiots at overleveled enemies. It's not fun at all.

They survive because of the Nightmare boost, the reason Ultima Buster is doing that poo poo is because you're using Cloud. The game explicitly tells you this.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Armitage posted:

when power creep gets silly enough they should add a blitzball minigame

Not gonna lie I liked the fishing minigame they had for the XV event a while back.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So banging my head against the Magicite wall had me realize Shout on Cid VII is very limiting, since he can't really do anything else once he uses his SB. I unfortunately have no choice since that is my only attack boostga, although Quina USB on banner 1 looks real tempting

Oh nevermind RoP got my back.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I thought Evrae was the one you could cheese with Ninja magic, because they can ignore RES.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

VII pull got me Sephiroth BSB1

Can I cheese something with it's DEF ignoring CMD1? Otherwise it seems bad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

First magicite finally cleared :toot:

Turns out all I needed was someone with a boostga that could do more than barely contribute damage, sorry Cid.

Got a little worried at the end when I couldn't mitigate damage anymore, but Selphie's Last Stand USB saved the day.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RoP Round up

T0: Machina enEarth LMR
T: Marche BSB
XV: Arenea OSB
XIV: Thancred BSB1(Dupe)
XIII: Lightning AOSB
XII: Vaan debuff LMR
XI: Zeid BSB
X: Tidus enWater LMR(Dupe)
IX: Quina USB
VIII: Irvine BSB1
VII: Sephiroth BSB1
VI: Strago water dualcast LMR
V: Krile BSB2
IV: Cecil trance LMR, Yang BSB
III: CoD USB
II: Firion BSB
I: Matoya BSB

Ultra Lucky Draw:

:stare:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Woah you can overflow your stamina now? Now I don't have to math and plan out which Realm Dungeons I have to do anymore.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So who becomes the new joke character now?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

1/11
Bartz enFire BSB

Decided what the hell give it another pull

4/11
Elarra USB
Cloud USB2
Bartz BSB I just got
Bartz LMR dupe

I can use Elarra now after I leveled her up to 99 for her RM.

And not gonna lie was kinda hoping for Bartz Wind BSB since I got all of his other BSBs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

6/33

Greg USB1 :whitewater:
Ace OSB
Minfillia BSB1
Celes BSB2
Fujin enWind LMR
Gogo VI mimic LMR

Not the best haul, at least I can use Celes better.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MF_James posted:

The gimmick on that is easy though, it's scripted to follow the same pattern of Fire->water->poison->holy.

But yeah, overall you can generally grab a chain and do it and/or imperils.

Yeah but gently caress using poison.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Okay so I have Zack's BSB and CSB and Cloud's USB2. Question is if these two are my main attackers and I have an entrust bot do I entrust to Zack so he can get his BSB off or Cloud so he can keep his USB mode going?

Zack has Mako Might so he can start off the chain at the beginning of the battle btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

Okay so I have Zack's BSB and CSB and Cloud's USB2. Question is if these two are my main attackers and I have an entrust bot do I entrust to Zack so he can get his BSB off or Cloud so he can keep his USB mode going?

Zack has Mako Might so he can start off the chain at the beginning of the battle btw.

Man I'm dumb, I posted this and forgot the key detail that Cloud isn't casting his USB turn 1.

So the answer is entrust Cloud so he can get his USB off sooner. :doh: