Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
ground floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I've just unlocked magicites and honestly, what on earth do they want from me? Lightning's probably my strongest element so I went in the water one and got most of my team flattened by 8k damage spells before I could even get Godwall going. After plinking at it for 1000 damage a hit a few times everyone was dead. What is it demanding of me? I don't have 5x every element resist accessories for everyone, because I haven't been playing since the beginning of time itself.

I later tried the ice one after and got it to about 33% before wiping, mostly through Vincent's damage reflect.

Am I supposed to be running two healers, because that feels like the only feasible way to keep everyone standing. It takes 3x 30% Faith buffs to get Terra to do over 5k damage a hit. Godwall and 2 Medicas per turn might just keep everyone upright, assuming I can maintain them indefinitely. It'd be a million year battle without huge buffs though. The only other thing I can think of is dropping the Terra/Vivi damage dealer idea and grinding up Gilgamesh and Sabin or Locke to 99. Gilgamesh has his chain, and I have numerous things for the other two. Certainly a USB each at least.

I know this is one of the thing where getting a foot on the ladder is the hardest part, since you can leverage each magicite against the next, but god drat.

You could post your Sealion team either here or discord, and we could probably provide more feedback. Still, couple of thoughts based on your post:

Getting hit for 8k before Godwall sounds like you are applying the wall too slow. Mitigation should definitely be going up as your very first action, and at game speed 1 that should be enough to only get hit by some weaker early attacks. You are using one of the free Soul Break record materias on Tyro, right?

Double healers is feasible especially early on to a new magicite, but by no means required. But since magicite has very high break resistance, you usually want to drop your support anyways, so that might be a good slot for a second healer, if you can also cover buffs. Something like DPS + DPS + DPS + Healer + Healer. Another option is to use someone with the support skills Wrath and Entrust to feed SB gauge to your healer. If you're already using Tyro for his godwall, he might be a good candidate for Entrusting.

Also, Magicite is the point where older BSB healers start showing their age, mostly due to slower cast times on the entry. What are your healer options, BSB or USB? Any healer dived yet?

As far as buffs go, you definitely want at least a +50% Atk for physical teams, or the double +30% for magical DPS. Also try to transition every DPS to using some kind of +Damage% record materia, instead of the ones that build SB gauge. Leave those for people who buff or heal. You can still run Lifesiphon, Wrath, etc to build SB bar faster. Stuff like +Element damage%, +Weapon damage%, +Magic%, etc is what you want for DPS. Good reference of the best ones can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/8p35sj/musthave_record_materia_june_2018_edition/

As far as DPS goes, I'm not sure what your Terra and Vivi are working with, but get that Gilgamesh going ASAP. Chains are incredibly good, even if you'd be using him in an otherwise magical team. But as far as physical teams go, Gilgamesh Chain, Sabin + Locke USB, Healer, and Tyro with Godwall should be crushing 3* magicite as long as your party is setup properly. But Vivi + Terra + Vincent also sounds like a fine team. What are you working with there, SB wise?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Armitage posted:

Unfortunately that shares a banner with Gogo VI stuff, and Gogo is probably the worst non Core character in the game, with the worst 5* piece of equipment in his LMR.

Eh. Gogo is a bit of a dud, but that banner also has Strago's magical water chain, his water radiant shield USB, and Umaro's strong USB that does great ice chases. If anything, it's a really great banner with one dud character. And even then Gogo USB is a +ATK/+MAG/+RES buff and Hastega.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Alxprit posted:

:stare: Good lord. Who knew Arcana were so useable after all?

Arcana were always good. It's just that we've been on a drip feed, and major arcana had no repeatable farming source.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
New JP daily draw rates.

:pusheen:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Dirty Inside

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Avalerion posted:

Dena is rebalancing some legend dives - notably Jecht gets fire/dark instead of just dark damage, might make his upcoming banner slightly less bad, but probably still not enough to pull unless you are desperate for fire. https://old.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/93ykt0/jp_upcoming_legend_dives_balance_changes/

More interested in the precedent, this opens the door for a lot of similiarly bad dives to be fixed.

Hopefully this opens up the possibility for Lightning getting access to Spellblade 6*

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Cowcaster posted:

yeah unless you're going through and literally record diving every single character i can't imagine a situation where 3* motes are the bottleneck. you can technically farm 4* motes where 3* motes you can't, but even if you're dumping all your stamina into that just getting as far as you can into the weekly events will poo poo so many 3*'s into your lap as to outpace it.

They can be a really annoying bottleneck when you're new, since were basically just limited to the ones we get from the weekly event and greens store. You might have plenty, but not of the right types. And getting more always means waiting for a week and hoping the event spits out the correct type of mote.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
4th Hope BSB2/11. It's decent armor being a holy bracer, but I don't really need more. Meh.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I think most of Kains SB's are spears. So that doesn't really narrow it down. :v:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Raines BSB + dive is already pretty old tech, so I don't think it's a very compelling comparison in the 4* magicite era. Another point of view related to that is that it'll take 6+ months before we get the next wind weak magicite.

So unless you're still struggling with Golem or maybe Midgard, there are probably much better options than aging BSB era tech to dive for.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Pulled in hopes of the fire chain and some FF7 help.

:confuoot:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

I pulled again, just so I could actually get ff7 items. That'll do, both new.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
oh god please use [timg]

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Current results:

T0: Rem USB :toot:
FFT: Dupe Mustadio SSB1
FF15: Noctis Glint

So far a pretty solid start.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I don't think there's anything wrong with a small themed collab. It's just a bit silly how much they hyped it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Zodiac5000 posted:

I do not like Final Fantasy 4. Stop giving me stuff for Palom! I have her LMR, her USB, her BSB, and I feel like bunches of other stuff for her. I don't know why this game wants to keep giving me lightning wizard stuff, but it started with Shantotto's CSB turning into 100% of Shantotto's relics, then it moved to Garnet, then Marach, now Palom.

I'm sorry that you've had to suffer having one of the best mages in the game.

:rolleyes:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Notable RoP loot ended up being:

T0: Rem USB
FF15: Noctis Glint
FF10: Tidus OSB dupe (+Water sword)
FF9: Quina USB
FF7: Cloud Glint
FF1 Master USB

Rest of it was the usual SSB's and BSB's and dupes not worth listing. Then the USB lucky graced me with:

Great relic, even if it was just a 1/11. Finally fest banner 1 has the following offerings for me:

:toot:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Both.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5APXsKdqlQ

This is what a decked out Bartz can do in a d??? nutorment with two offrealm characters.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Funso Banjo posted:

If you're a brand new player, what's the time expectancy to be playing end(ish) game stuff? Is it a year or two to build up and power up your dudes, or is it more like a month or two?

I'd say maybe 2-4 months to be knocking at the doors of endgame content, if playing optimally and being reasonably lucky with pulls. Considerably more to reach the current highest levels of content, since that stuff is extremely tough even for vets

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Not a bad finish for the DU's. Both USB are new.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of Banners, I'm up to 30 Mythril, which I guess it's a good safety net in case a must have banner appears. I'm eyeing the Lightning one because I have her at level 80. My team so far is:

- Lightning
- Cloud with Cherry Blosom.
- Terra with Magitek Inferno.
- Arc with the Instaheal.
- Tyro for the Grimoire thing.

Because that's basically all I have. I have SSB for Fang and Warrior of Light from somewhere, I think

It's a good idea to pull on the banner, or should I just use either Fang or WoL for their SSBs?

In your case I'd wait till Friday. We'll get a new set of 15 mythril banners, one for each realm, that are BSB and above. They're 11-pulls too, so heavily discounted. Since you're still at the point where basically anything new is good, getting a bunch of discounted pulls is real nice.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Fat Samurai posted:

So how do you guys build DPSs, then? Liphesiphon/Wraith and then 1 big hit ability?

Once you're at the endgame, most skill loadouts are more like two 5* to 6* abilities, depending on character and what they're used for. Lifesiphon or Wrath does build up gauge faster, but damage skills do actual damage while also building bar.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Lifesiphon is definitely good as a budget option, since hones are expensive at the start. Lifesiphon in to BSB and it's commands is really handy early on, but most Ultras require you to use actual skills, so that's what you're eventually aiming for.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I don't think there's anything massively wrong with the 5* magicite and d??? torments. It's good to have long term goals you might not be able to clear right away. But they really dropped the ball with not providing more in-between content.

The jump from 4* magicite to 5* is massive, as is D280 torment to d??? Likewise stuff like 260 event bosses, MP and Crystal Tower are turning trivial for vets. So a lot of the game is either trivial or punishingly difficult. Awakenings are clearly an effort to make 5* and d??? normal content again , but they'll also have to do something about lower difficulty stuff being further trivialised.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Arbitrary Number posted:

The torments encourage the use of sbs that you don't use a lot. I just cleared FF6 280 sub30 and gogo with his esunaga ssb played a key part curing sleep, plus being able to heal and dps. Finished with terra aosb and sabin's suplex osb, feels good. :)

Moving from a heavy elemental focus to a realm focus is definitely making some older stuff way more viable. Also generally being more susceptible to breaks. Certainly much better than having the relevant SB's be just buffs, heals, and key elements for magicite.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

:smithicide:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Ugato posted:

Is there anything in particular to pull on right now? Or just gather up piles of mithril?

There's quite a bit actually. The Golden Festival Lucky draws are half cost (25 mythril) for the first pull, and all are curated with good lists of items. Definitely pull once on each of those. They will go away next week, so try to prioritise those.

Then there are the deeply discounted Realm Relic Draws, that are 15 mythril. There's an absolute ton of them, one per Final Fantasy represented in this game. These will stick around for 6 months so they're not a major concern to get right now, but they're super cheap.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Chains are the best relic type in global. For example, Rikku's gives +50% attack, then it starts with +50% water damage, and only keeps building up more from there with every water attack. These are the single best damage buffs you can get, and their benefits are party wide.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
We're also still kinda in the dark on what the next form of endgame content will be like. Realm chains could point at something similar to Torments, where realm is more important than elements.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

xanthan posted:

Got Ignis's chain, looked up what it does. That's cool I guess?

Chains are literally the best kind of relic in global right now. They kinda offer unparalleled damage boosting when you have a full team of the correct element. The highest tiers of current content are insanely harder without chains, so every single one you get is a great pull.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I spent 150 mythril on the recent FF14 banner, and all I got for my troubles was two LMR for characters that I have nothing above SSB. (2x Thancred, 1x Minfilia)

Then today I got a dupe Y'shtola BSB.

This realms hates me too.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh yeah, because the people near me use those all the time. Nope; they like to use mega heals and other useless poo poo that I can do myself.

Except the Master requirements forbid black magic on the magic boss and dumb poo poo like Ultima Buster just loving hit you with max damage all-party attacks that even my maxed out Cloud dies to in a few hits and he has the most ducking health of any character I own. If he can't even tank hits how the gently caress are a bunch of paperweight shitbirds like Terra or Lulu supposed to even survive long enough to cast spells?

This is the loving worst because I'm literally being gated from all the other content at this point just because I can't bother to waste my time trying to throw level 99 idiots at overleveled enemies. It's not fun at all.

The thing with Nightmares is that they are 2-3 year old content now, and have been heavily powercrept by modern DPS soulbreaks. You can quite literally oneshot Ultima and Crushdown with the appropriate type of roaming warrior AOSB. (Magic for Ultima, physical for Chrusdown)

Generally, you want to build a team that uses 3x of the appropriate synergy characters, a healer, and probably Tyro running support or dancer skills and Sentinel Grimoire. Maybe post your team for Ultima Buster so we can take a look at it, and list what mage relics you have available, so we can craft a better team?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Kimahri USB is an amazing silver bullet for one of the 5* fire magicite if you have a chain to go with it. You can radiant shield tank the fight to a pretty silly degree.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Lights posted:

I was super excited when I pulled four disco balls in the USB lucky. But it was a dupe Faris USB2, two terrible Gilgamesh USBs (high retaliate, and random chase) , and Cloud of Darkness's lovely USB. Yuck.

There's nothing wrong with Greg's second USB. :shrug:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I did the Curada fight with Beatrix and Tyro using Minus Strike, back in the day. :shepface:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

KataraniSword posted:

They could also not release any new relics for Sora whatsoever and just rehash the last banners. :shrug:

That seems unlikely, since they probably want Japanese players to spend money or mythril on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Generally speaking, the 240 Torments are probably a bit harder than 3* magicite. I'd first focus on the Magicite, as they were introduced when BSB's were still the most common soul break type, and are balanced accordingly. Also getting good elemental coverage is probably easier than good realms.

So I'd first dip my toes in those, and then when you're ready to start 4* magicite, go take a look at Torments again.