Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What's the go-to source for seeing future banners now? Even Dirge seems to just link to Japanese sites past like the next 1-2 banners, and auto-translating is worthless in a game that uses so much jargon and so many nonsensical words.

I have no idea what to save for aside from hearing that the upcoming V banner is really good. I'm mostly hunting for Holy / Lightning / Earth chains now, so I dunno what I should be aiming for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Tiamat is awful and it's hard to imagine that soon 5* magicite will be rolling out that is like 10x worse.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Guess who has two thumbs and spent 100 mythril on Tifa's glint and LMR? (I have nothing else for Tifa)

Ugh, this game has just been a series of nut kicks recently.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

As someone with like eight fuckin' 6* holy swords, I am legitimately glad that they are going to be out of the relic pool for a while.

So many awful memories of that several-month stretch where Tactics was on every single lucky banner and every pull I did was a 1 or 2/11 with only holy-based Tactics stuff.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Do the new 6* abilities completely obsolete any 5* ones, or are they making an effort to make things different enough that you don't feel like you wasted a ton of major orbs?

I mean obviously there are cases where characters don't have 6* access and they 5* stuff will be useful out of necessity, but I'm just curious if there are any abilities for my main DPS characters that I shouldn't bother honing because a better version is coming down the pipe.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Most of them are just straight upgrades, with higher potency and usually an extra hit. But since orbs aren't exhangeable for crystals, there's no reason to feel like you're wasting anything.

Sorry, I meant in the sense that, say, I wouldn't want to spend 100 major orbs honing a skill to R5 right before a strictly better skill drops, since I could have spent those orbs on another useful 5* skill. I know there's still gonna be some situations where I'll want both, but tbh I don't have many party comps where people would be competing for a 6* ability anyway.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Well, you probably shouldn't be honing to R5 in general, unless you have a rank boost effect you need it for or you're actually running out of uses. I've never had much trouble keeping everything at R3.

I've had weird luck and pulled a decent number of USBs with the 2x ability uses or rank boosts, so there's definitely a few skills I've honed that I normally wouldn't have.

It's also tough because I'm still at the point where a lot of the 4* magicite fights are grinders, where I feel the effect of having a few skills at R3. I'm probably just too hone-shy on a few skills, but I always hold off on honing 6* skills especially just because I always end up pulling some tech that makes it a non-issue shortly afterward. Though I guess it's not like having a giant stockpile of crystals is doing me any good, either.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Went 3/11, with Machina's OSB, Tifa's BSB1, and Nine's SSB.

Machina OSB is sorta interesting I guess, in that dark / earth is an odd combo, but it scales off of spellblade casts, which makes the dark half pretty irrelevant, and I already have better earth spellblade options.

Nine's SSB will maybe be useful torment kit some day? I dunno.

Tifa's BSB has the nice crit-fix and an imperil, and I already have both of her LMRs, so I have an en-earth for her too. I also have her glint. I'm honestly not sure if that combo makes her worth using though? En-earth, imperil earth, crit-fix, and a shitload of delay reduction sounds solid on paper, but it's hard to imagine it beating out my current physical earth DPS combo of Dorgann with USB, Bartz with USB + earth BSB, and a double-casting ninja.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I honestly didn't even know FFT had enough decent black mages for a synergy magic team.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Zurai posted:

Theoretically, Marach, Rapha, Montblanc, a healer, and I guess you could turn Orlandeau or Gaffgarion into a darkness mage? Or wait 6 months for Orran Durai to come out, he's likely going to be another mage.

Woah, I never even considered using Orlandeau as a mage, I kinda want to try that now just to see what kind of numbers he puts up.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Bring in Cid for a IX machinist and then give him an oglop wardrobe record immediately.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

fridge corn posted:

We all thought this

I think XIV has a Gestahl minion that is literally a dog wearing his robes?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

Put off all the fest content until this afternoon because I'm dumb, ended up having to leave behind the highest difficulty Weapon fights, the top two Zeromus fights, and the gil only raids. :(

Ah well, at least Zeromus is coming back with the rest of the superbosses again next fest, right?

Same, oops. At least I got all of the ninja motes, not like I have much use for machinist and dragoon ones anyway.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is the game hemorrhaging F2P players and this is just the hail mary appeal to whales or something?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The downside of instant cast medicas is that it sucks so drat bad going back to a healer that doesn't have it when synergy matters more. Regular medicas feel so slow I have no idea how I ever got used to timing things out with them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Are there any other crazy good banners coming up between now and the next fest aside from V?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I beat Tiamat once by basically pure luck and I'm never fighting that steaming turd of a boss design ever again until it has been power-creeped into a joke. Luckily I don't need any of the magicites from Tiamat to sub-30 Midgardsormr.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Went 3/11, got Bartz' ASB, Bartz' wind BSB, and Faris' BSB2.

I already have Bartz' USB1 and all of his other BSBs, so I guess I'll take the wind one, too.

How the hell do I use his ASB and USB in conjunction, though? Do I just bring the USB when I have a chain I can abuse, and spam the ASB in every other scenario? Either way it looks pretty good, and having a strong +wind dagger is nice as hell, though I wish it was a sword.

Really wanted that Galuf chain, but I guess I'll save some mythril for the next V banner since it comes back up then.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

What's next on the "holy poo poo pull on this" banner list? I had budgeted two pulls for V, but my first pull got me Bartz' ASB and BSB, plus Faris' BSB, and I already have Bartz' USB1 plus a couple of other dupes, so it's too risky for another pull, as much as I'd like that earth chain.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

i don’t understand entirely what’s going on, how did you manage to give orlandeau an instant cast on his usb?

His dive gives instant cast cast for 3 turns. Orlandeau is fuckin nuts.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hey guys, haven't played this in a while after I got burned out on the 5* magicites, just curious to see how much things have changed since then.

Also, I've got 100 mythril right now (and I could probably farm some more with whatever new dungeons / events / record dungeons have come out since then), so what banners should I pull on? I did the 33 pull already and went 6/33, with 3 Ultras (Irvine, Emperor, and Rem), 1 Arcane Overstrike (D. Cecil), and two bursts that I already had. Are any of those worth getting particularly excited about? There's a ton of banners open right now so I have no idea what I should be eyeing.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Has there been a ton of power creep in the past few months or anything? Like are the 5* magicites much easier now, and is the new content way harder? Basically, how much is taking a long break going to screw me?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So my discount realm pulls have been...pretty good. Here's what I ended up with of note after pulling on the 33 pull, all of the 5-mythril realm banners, and about a third of the 15-mythril realm banners:

D. Cecil AOSB + BSB
Irvine USB
Onion Knight Phys USB
Rapha USB
Squall Fire USB
Rem USB
Emperor USB + RM
Rinoa CSB
Gilgamesh CSB
Squall Glint
Luneth Glint + BSB2
Sephiroth OSB
Cid Raines OSB
Krile RM
Celes RM
Rinoa RM
Bartz RM

Plus some other assorted junk BSBs + RMs. So a lot of those are definitely good stat sticks, but I've got some questions about a few of them:

How is Squall's fire USB? He was purely an ice DPS unit last time I played, and getting his Glint with ice boost armor seems nice for that (I've got his BSB2 already also), but can he hold his own as a fire DPS too now? Also, how does Gilgamesh's fire chain compare to Locke's? I had Locke's already, but he was always an awkward fit and it seems like Gilgamesh's samurai access would let him do more damage on a phys fire team, unless Locke has gotten access to some strong stuff since my break.

Is Luneth with his Glint, BSB2, and OSB worth diving?

How is D. Cecil as a dark user now that I've got his arcane overstrike and BSB? My phys dark team is already pretty stacked (Orlandeau with USB, Shadow with BSB, Garland with Chain), so it's hard to see him taking one of those slots, but maybe I'm underestimating that AOSB.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is it worth doing half dives on characters that I have some really good relics for but have kinda lovely RM2s? Like I've got Gabranth's CSB and getting an extra 19% damage from a half dive seems really good, but his RM2 looks pretty much worthless. Or is that a waste of motes?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Woop, finally beat Hades, which was the only 4* magicite I'd left undone. Turns out that getting OK's pUSB, a good piece of enholy armor, and Iris' BSB make all the difference.

So how much are these 5* magicites going to push my poo poo in if I was capable of sub-30s on about half of the 4*s?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

My realm parade luck continues, snagged Meliadoul's USB and BSB off the Tactics banner. Though I'm not sure if it's actually good? Imperil seems nice, but the breakdown aspect is pretty useless for magicites and it doesn't come with an empower or any kind of chase. At the very least, it's + earth armor, which is definitely welcome.

I guess I've basically got an earth-flavored Vaan now, however often that ends up being relevant.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks guys, I'll definitely give Mel a try in my Ixion run then. She's competing with a ridiculously stacked Bartz and Dorgan with his USB, so it's gonna be close, but I forgot breaks are actually slightly useful on Ixion.

Also, I'm slowly chipping away at the first-tier Torment fights, and I'll probably be able to buy at least one or maybe two skills when I'm done with the ones I can actually complete. Are any of them particularly recommended to get right away? If it makes a difference, my toughest Magicite fights at the 4* level were definitely Tiamat and Isgebind, though the latter was more due to the gimmick and all of my good fire stuff being physical. My sub-30 clears were Marilis, Midgardsormir, and Ixion so far, with Kraken and Isgebind getting close.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

For spellbladers, I've got a stacked Bartz (USB, AOSB, OSB, LMR, and 5 BSBs holy poo poo lol), Celes with 2 BSBs and her LMR, and Squall with his fire USB, BSB2, and Glint, so those 6* spellblade skills are definitely enticing.

I'll have to try some of the next-tier Torment bosses - the only ones I think I really have a shot at off the top of my head are FFT and FFVII, since I have some insanely good relics that work well together in those realms. Sounds like Voltech, the Offerings, and Spellblade skills right now. I have Edge's SSB and OK's pUSB, so Flash Disaster looks great as well. drat I need a lot of rubies.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

NinjaDebugger posted:

The BSBs help, but yeah, it's about USB1 + the LMR. If you get those two, plus a dive, he's basically just a giant house of spellswording pain.

Is his LMR actually worth using? I have it but it seems so inconsistent that I can't imagine it outperforming his native RMs unless you get insanely lucky with procs.

Also, how the hell do you guys manage all of your items? Even keeping only weapons and armor that have en-element boosts + accessories for both physical and magical teams in each elemental resist, I am constantly hitting the cap. Buying 5 slots with mythril seems awful, but it also sucks constantly digging around in my vault and switching items back and forth.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Got Edgar's OSB on the daily draw, seeing a disco from that is so fuckin weird after playing like a year and a half without ever getting anything better than a 3*.

Not sure when this thing will ever be useful, but maybe someday there will be a use for poison.

edit: Unrelated, but how do you guys deal with the slow on the Tactics Torment? I tried using Unicorn to astra it but that didn't seem to work? I've had to just wait until he uses the first slow before casting my hastega, but then he uses another one near the end right before he starts dropping the heavy AoE and it completely wrecks me. Slow accessories don't seem to help, and I need the elemental resistance too much to give that up anyway (also should I be running dark res or poison? Hard to tell which is more dangerous).

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 6, 2019

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Huh, keep getting lucky on these realm pulls that I keep scraping together mythril for. Nabbed Vayne's USB and LMR on the XII banner, actually looks like a solid kit on a character with decent skill access? My dark physical team is absurdly stacked now, but he'll probably find a spot on magic dark team along with Emperor and Cid Raines if I ever get to point where I'm doing the magical holy 5* magicite (lol).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Is there a guide anywhere for building up the 4* magicite decks? I have no idea what skills I should be inheriting and magicites I should be farming in preparation for 5*s and I definitely don't want to gently caress it up considering how much of a grind it is.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

iPodschun posted:

I think this thread provides the simplest builds for starting on 5* fights https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/9p57kn/5magicitedecks_in_one_glance_no_big_insights_a/

The Earth deck for Quetz and KB:

Perfect, thank you! That Earth deck doesn't look too bad, some of the others are gonna be an insane grind though, geez. I guess it's still a long ways off though, I still have two 4*s I haven't sub-30'd and I'm not even remotely close to the 10 second clears and poo poo some people are doing.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

eelmonger posted:

The decks in that post are some of the lightest in terms of farming. Some min-maxers are suggesting like 8 lv99 Phoenixes, gently caress that. I used his decks for some magicites and they work great, but it is just a guide, so you might need to tweak them based on the fight, especially if you're using "unconventional" strategies like Edge SSB.

I wouldn't worry too much about 10s clears, there's no difference in rewards. Yeah there's real world time, but doing more than a handful of any magicite at a time is going to be annoying regardless of clear time.

Oh yeah, I'm just using them as a general benchmark, like if I can sub-30 a 4* magicite it means I may be able to work at the 5* soon-ish, whereas one that takes me a minute means I'm probably a mile away from the 5*. I just assumed any comp that can clear one in 10 seconds or less is probably pretty well-tuned for the next step, but maybe that's not always the case.

edit: unrelated, but what's the breakdown on Blastspell Strike vs. Inferno Assault? They look like they have basically the same multiplier, and in situations where you're capping damage the extra hit is obviously better, but then dual element is way more versatile and in the toughest content I can't imagine capping with either skill anyway. I have Bartz' USB, Squall's fire USB, and Greg's CSB, so both of them would be awesome for my fire team, but I'm not sure if having the extra versatility for my earth team is worth it or not vs. an extra hit + more chain generation.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 8, 2019

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what's the ideal way to do this? Or would it be easier to suck it up and let someone die?

If you don't have a really stacked pile of relics, I'd just bring along a buffer like Ramza / OK and let them eat the fang after they've cast whatever flavor of Shout you're using. If you've got OK's insta-cast, he can squeeze out a wall cast too, but otherwise iirc he's gonna die before his second action goes off. It also helps to use one of your other characters to slap him with a regular attack to be absolutely sure he has the lowest HP, and to heal whoever else Shadow Dragon hits with single-target damage before the fang.

If you *do* have a hoard of awesome gear, the answer is usually some combo of OK's USB + some holy USB like Orlandeau and / or Marche. I think I was able to eventually get it down with Ramza's Shout + Orlandeau's OSB using the gauge RMs, and Beatrix double-casting one of the 5* knight abilities, but it depended on Orlandeau landing a crit to work. There's some other combos using critfixing SBs and stuff, too.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hrmm, pulled Shantotto's AOSB and USB from the XI realm pull, do I finally have to give a poo poo about Witch abilities or are they still bad? Last time I tried them I wasn't impressed, but a double-cast USB with a faithga and empower tacked on sounds pretty good. Shantotto's dive doesn't look very great, though. edit: though actually I have her doublecast RM also, so that could be fun.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

That blademaster Siegfried fight is kicking my rear end, I have tons of DPS options but I feel like I don't have the sustain to get him down before his AoE just stacks up. Like drat, even with my ridiculously stacked wind team, I get him to like 70% before my chain dies out and then 50% by the time I'm running out of hones and his spam gets me. I feel like I must be doing something wrong, it feels like he's got like at least twice as much hp as the 4* magicites. My fully dived Cloud with his USB active, OK's pUSB up, a wind chain up, an enwind, and an imperil on Siegfried is doing like 20k per hit, which is insanely crap damage for all of those buffs. Am I supposed to be bringing a magic team?

I wouldn't even bother except the accessory it gives is actually kinda useful for Isgebind and those rosetta stones would be very appreciated.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Blegh, pulled on the earth lucky draw since I really want some of those USB and even most of the other stuff is at least an en-element, ended up going 1/11 with Cinque's LMR, which is probably the worst possible pull I could have made on this. Not even a decent stat stick.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I pulled Edea's USB off of it the other day, so it's definitely still worth it. Though now between that and Shantotto's USB, I have to actually craft / hone witch abilities :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm always so paranoid that mulching extra copies of the 6* skills is gonna bite me in the rear end some day, but I genuinely can't imagine a scenario where I'd need like 5 copies of Snowspell Strike or whatever unless they end up doing some Crystal Tower style event where your abilities are locked too, which sounds way too dumb too ever implement.