Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

A surfing dog?! posted:

I wasn't sure if I should pull on this banner but all the cool people were doing it so I figured why not.

How useful is all that stuff? Please tell me the Snow thing is the worst because he's easily my least favorite Final Fantasy character of all time. I mean I care more about plowing through poo poo, but still.

People will tell you Snow's chain sucks compared to the others but I disagree. The hit point stock is the only reason my sub 30 Tiamat team doesn't immediately die.

It is also plenty good. The only ice breaks I use for Tiamat are his chain and Squall's AOSB.

I pulled it last fest while hoping for Rinoa's chain. I was salty but in the end it worked out well for me and I was so very wrong about it being bad.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

That LMR select banner would be so much more tempting if I could pick up Seifer's enDark.

Kain's OSB is tempting since I picked up his USB. Is it as good a combo as it looks? I don't have his chain.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I picked up the Garnet chain and now my lightning team has the best magicite clear time out of all my groups, even better than my Tidus Chain + Yuffie USB2 + Bartz USB water team by nearly a second.

Ashe USB + Palom USB + Aphmau USB gets work done with a chain.

I'd like Tifa's USB or AOSB or Ashe's AOSB but I'm not sure I can justify chasing at this point. I'm down to 47 mythril.

I'm finding it really awkward building teams around the new chains without godwall. Having at least 3 dps to contribute to the chain while also getting defensive buffs, hastega, and healing isn't easy.

My dark team is based around using Edge SSB to provide hastega and last stand while everyone tries to stay alive with dread weapon. No room for healers.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 3, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm having a hard time with Hades. I'll keep banging my head against it on occasion but I'm wondering when we'll get another good holy banner. Any ideas?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

dragon_pamcake posted:

Four pulls on Banner #5 got me FIVE Tifa ASBs and no other discos.

At least I have her Glint and LMR to go with it?

That looks like a great combination to me. Fastcast, +monk, enElement, and a massive finisher.

Her LMR + Glint is better than Lightning's USB, isn't it?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

We'll probably get some random holy pickup which should be better but who knows when we'll get it and if it's filled with Basch and Pecil garbo again.

As someone who "lucked" into Basch's and Warrior of Light's nearly identical garbage USBs during this fest I'm wary about random holy pickup banners.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Avalerion posted:

I'm getting good use of Basch at this point still, he's not "bad" bad like say Gau, it's just really missing that cherry on top (chase, dual cast...) that would push him past 50k dps.

I'm not sure how it is much better than an enElement BSB, which seems pretty drat bad for a USB.

You are trading +20% to all stats for +100% defense and up to 30% increased damage. Assuming you hit the softcap on attack the BSB still gives ~+10% damage and +20% speed.

That cherry on top is what makes most USBs worth using.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Avalerion posted:

What speed and all stats are you talking about, did I miss something about bsb's until now?

All bsbs give +20% to most stats and haste. This means enElement bsbs are slightly better than they might look on paper.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 4, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

pichupal posted:

"Burst Mode", which every burst does, raises ATK/MAG/DEF/RES/MND by 20%, and SPD by 10%. (All stats but ACC and EVA.)

All bursts also come with a self-Haste, which is sometimes forgettable when you have a Hastega but it's nice to Dispel slow every once in a while.

I thought it was 20% for SPD as well. Thanks for the correction! I'll try to stop giving bad information.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

pichupal posted:

It was never very obvious - although you might have noticed more damage with mages because of the higher MAG cap making the stat buff more useful.

It was only really important if you invested in Tiamat with Alphinaud or one of the stat threshold bursts like Maria, Papalymo, Edea or Sephiroth 2.

I almost forgot to mention the SPD thing at all :v:. It's easy to forget honestly, but I knew the burst mode details pretty well just because Maria BSB was one of my first mage bursts back when I had very few mage buffs. I used to use Vivi's Devotion RM a lot to reach 6-hit comfortably.

It used to be a lot harder to cap MAG, which meant it was nearly a 40% increase in dps.

The real reason it was easy to forget is because 5* abilities weren't very good so all your dps came from spamming bsb commands, which you'd only use with the buff. It was kinda impossible to compare your dps without it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

DeadButDelicious posted:

You know the truth, deep down inside.

You aren't wrong. Raging water does 4.9/7 compared to engulfing quadstrike's 3.2/4. Diving a ninja is worth it.

Since I pulled Edge USB I need to hone a second reflecting pool / raging water but I don't have any dark orbs.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

MarquiseMindfang posted:

How bad are Torments in comparison to other things? Should I make an attempt at the first tier before they go away?

They've been pretty thoroughly power creeped. If you made pulls on the last fest you should be able to beat them, even if those pulls gave you nothing but BSBs.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Along with the crystals you get from farming them. Use up your keys before they go away!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I heard the jump in quality between 4* and 5* isn't nearly as great as the jump between 3* and 4*. How true is that?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

I'm sitting here with 2 characters dedicated to healing and I still can't keep up with Ixion's damage output. Anytime I try to take time off of healing to do literally anything else (like cast hastega), I immediately eat poo poo. I don't get it and it's annoying because I'm pretty sure I have all the pieces to beat it

You could bring breaks.

Does everyone have lightning resist?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Also tell us about your dps. My Ixion run doesn't involve healers or chains.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

You only get 1 copy of the new 6*s, which means you'll still need your old 5*s for the rest of your party.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

Is there any reason, as an essentially new player, that I shouldn't pull on the new Chain banner?

As a new player mythril is pretty easy to come by and you likely don't have very many good relics.

A single 50 mythril pull on above average banners might be worth it for the improved realm coverage.

Just don't expect too much or pull more than once and you should be fine long term.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If it worth me burning off some myth for stamina to clear all the torments now, before they go away? I suspect it could be some time before we ever see them again?

I don't think they ever come back.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I went 1/11 Cloud BSB1, which is a dupe from a previous lucky.

I'm trying to remind myself of of the time a lucky gave me Rosa USB but nope, this is a poo poo draw and hopefully I'm done with luckies.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Do you know if future ones are also this bad in needing one specific setup, or do the more varried realms allow variety in party building too?

I really hope I'm misinformed but I heard that this is the easiest of the nuTorments. I'm not optimistic about things going forward.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Alma USB providing proshellga, haste, and astra means she is one of my most used characters against bullshit content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I blew my last 100 mythril on the FFT1 banner because I can't beat 4* Hades and it is the best holy banner in the foreseeable future.

Montblanc BSB
Montblanc LMR
Dupe Ramza LMR1
Dupe Ramza BSB

Those were my only dupes on the banner.

I guess that was one way to throw my remaining mythril in the trash.

Between terrible luck last fest and this I'm feeling burnt out.