Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The lack of a festival banner runback where you can pull on any of them for 24 hours is kinda a bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe I'm just at the point where I've played this game enough to really notice its flaws.

I mean, your description is accurate, though. The game's content feels like it's designed around a bunch of assumptions - elemental damage types are equally common and viable, realms are equally stocked with useful characters and relics - that aren't true. Instead you have a ton of characters and SBs that are only contextually useful (debuffs) or pretty much questionable 100% of the time (tank poo poo) because the whole endgame has always been about DPS throughput and kill speed other than some of the Nightmares.

Magicites just made that speed thing more explicit, but it's always been the case that dawdling and playing too defensively will wreck you because of stuff like hones and so many high level bosses having timed or critical HP triggers to go psycho.

The easiest solution would be to just chill with the loving difficulty increases for a long time, but then whales would complain that the game was too easy and people wouldn't be spending enough money. F2P ftl

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FFT is weird because it's so heavy on physical holy that there's a massive amount of synergy, tho. Like Marche/Orlandeau/Agrias/Ramza (if we're talking ideal worlds where you have a Marche USB and most of everyone else's kit) is an insanely synergistic core.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

McDragon posted:

lone wolf from VI

What a strange character, btw. He's literally the only beastman in the game, isn't he? And nobody seems to notice or give a poo poo?

Like Umaro is the only yeti, I guess, but that's both absolutely part of the gag (you find the sasquatch) and also everyone reacts with surprise to his discovery and relationship with Mog.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

Torment status effects are auto-hit. Resistance gear and affliction break won't help, though astra will. In this case it's best to just bring hastega.

it's pretty irritating that the enemies in every single mode follow dramatically different rules that render certain SBs/abilities/gear invaluable in one and worthless in another

gachas lol

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Red Soul is hard even if you have the kit that's supposed to make it easy (Maria's good poo poo, basically). It still feels really overtuned for a lot of reasons, including that for most people FF2 is one of their worst realms because it's an unpopular game, it's largely excluded from luckies and event banners, and most of the characters from it are really mediocre outside of FF2 synergy dungeons.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You know another awesome thing about Bartz that just dawned on me for the first time when I was doing Water Stuff with Tidus's chain: stuff like his USB make him crazy good at exploiting chains.

I realize I'm probably the last person in the world to notice, but hey. Bartz is such a good boy and the dive I least regret.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't really matter anyway; if you can't beat all the Nightmares there's like a 0% chance you can handle any iteration of the nutorments.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I got an Ignis SSB from the daily draw today

I forgot Ignis was even in the game already

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, two 5* daily draws in a row: Ignis and Estinian SSBs.

Imagine being somebody who just casually plays the game for years without following the updates or knowing anything in the community, who has no idea the daily rates changed, and landing on that.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

RoP can't come soon enough, cant wait t o start pulling!!!

same, RoP loving rules

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

it's funny to think about how even in an age where you had only unique/shared/super soul breaks to work with the default starter soul breaks each character has were still considered incredibly weak, from what i remember

A lot of the default SBs were basically only ever worth using if you were completely out of abilities, yeah.

I got sooo much mileage out of Lightning's original 3-hit unique, tho, back when 5* abilities were rare and even most of those were still one-hitters.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
When does RoP start again? I'm itchin to pull

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kheldarn posted:

Parade FFT shanked me with Ramza's Battle Cry BSB (Kiyomori).

fwiw just in case this wasn't fun wordplay and actually means you felt slighted, ramza's BSB2 is pretty fantastic

it basically frees up both his skill slots by giving you wrath (minus the atk buff overwrite) and a viable dps move with the accompanying enholy to exploit it, with all the same benefits as shout (which is still useful to this day)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, that was a real Reversal Of Fortune moment.

I went "eh" when I saw a 5* orb pop, and it turned out to be (my first) Airstep Sword. If you're gonna pull an SSB, it may as well be one of the best ones!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DeadButDelicious posted:

Lol, dupe Thancred SSB which is exactly what I pulled for XIV during the last RoP.

dude I have so many air knives it's sick

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I guess it makes sense that Sazh HAS a USB, but if you asked me what it did I wouldn't have been able to tell you until two minutes ago when I pulled it.

I do need more faithgas, I guess.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah my RoP has largely been a bust this time, but it's important to remember that it's still a crazy value proposition. We're what, 35 mythril in? We have 3 more days to go before it's equivalent to doing one 11-pull, and even if you haven't pulled a single good 6* by then you'll have at least 10 5* relics to show for it. Compare that to a similar run of bad luck on a normal banner, which would be like... 1/11 and the item is a dupe or a poo poo LMR for a mediocre character or something.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey, the FF7 pull was my first big win of the RoP - Yuffie's AOSB.

Yuffie's cool and it's also a pretty badass water statstick for the likes of Edge and Tidus. I'm gonna end up diving all the ninjas.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The changes to (our) banner 2 seem really weird. Swapping Terra's LMR for Papa's even though she's one of the featured relics? Swapping OK's for Alph's BSB, a character otherwise totally absent from the banner?

OK->Alph is a wash for me because they're both dupes, but if I pull Papa's LMR I'm gonna be very salty.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kheldarn posted:

Also, Phase 2 got me 1/11, with Papalyma's OSB (Flareja).

Joke's on you, pal: I went 2/11 - two of Papa's OSB. At least I didn't already have it?

I also went 2/3 on the FF2 RoP, pulling some Richard kit and Joseph's USB. That's uh, somethin. Still, with FF1 remaining, my net result from RoP includes (among other things) like four new USBs on top of everything else. It really is the best value in the game other than free 33-pulls and poo poo.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

edit: wow everyone’s getting elarra and onion knight stuff huh

I don't, I pulled a Cloud glint, Terra USB, and... Papalymo BSB? Why the gently caress is this here?

Between that and going 2/11 with double Papa sticks on the OSB lucky, I think the game is attempting to tell me something.

Still, it's nice to have a good excuse to use Terra again. That could've gone much worse.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Looking at the rest of the festival, I kinda wish I'd pulled on banner 2 again.

Why don't they ever seem to do that last-day all banners are open thing anymore? I remember them doing it at least once in the past, and it seemed like both a nice thing for players and a smart move to get people to spend money.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

I think they only did that because of some error in the banners, though I don't remember what.

It's a good idea, tho. I think it would be a win/win for them and for players. *shrug*

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly the list of good/viable characters, provided you dive them fully or have their good SBs, is massive and it kinda sounds like you don't have the Good poo poo for anyone. So use whoever you like, and don't worry about wasting any MC things other than maybe MC3's.

Generally speaking, what you want in a low-mid level team is at least two solid damage-dealers, somebody with an SB that buffs their damage (so ATK if they're physical, MAG if they're casters), somebody with Support or Dancer 5 to debuff bosses, and a 5* White Mage of some kind. Arc's SSB is actually really good; the most important part of any healer's kit is having a multi-target heal (Medica) SB, and Instant Cast + Phys Blink are both really useful bonuses, so your healing role is covered.

Given that you just have SSBs, you can really roll with whoever you want for damage. Lightning is a strong character and will work fine; if you wanna do a 50 mythril pull on this banner, you may be able to snag some of her good SBs. Keep your eyes peeled for opportunities to pick up ATK/MAG group buff SBs right now, like Ramza's Shout; I'm pretty sure you can snag that one from the acolyte mission reward books as a free choice once you finish the requirements for whichever book it's in.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The bar for good unique characters in FFT is pretty fuckin' high, too; you get Agrias and Mustadio two chapters earlier.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, I went 4/11 on the freebie pull. Of course, 3 of them were dupes because it's player's choice, but the non-dupe was Orlandu's USB! I don't even remember what that does, wonder w-

:stare:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So I just pulled Aria's weird massive fire shield USB on my daily.

Any suggestions for places this might shine aside from fire magicites?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I got 2 new USBs (Curilla/Aphmau), a new AOSB (Toto), and an Ayame LMR (already having her BSB) on the XI draw

I dunno whether to be hyped at pulling that kind of haul on 15 mithril or disappointed that it wasn't any other realm, though I guess it goes a long way toward fixing my FFXI synergy shortage

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DeadButDelicious posted:

I appear to have stumbled into both Bartz USBs. Is there a recommendation of which to use, or what situations to use which one?

Here's some testing.

The overall conclusion is that USB2 is better under two circumstances: you're getting the finisher off, and you aren't using a chain. If you're using a chain, USB1 is better overall because it drives up the hit counter. Both are very good, and close enough that you can go with the one you prefer if you like how it "feels" better.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite bit of goofy gacha/mechanics interaction is that IIRC when the first Combat Nightmare came out, Cloud's BSB1 was still endgame tech.

It's, uh, a real problem on that fight.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

The new common relic draw owns. Two days in a row I got BSB relics. First one is Noel's and it looks like it pairs nicely with his ice doublecast LM that I've had for a while and the second one is a boost healer BSB for one of the beyond characters.

I mean it's nothing crazy, but it's not trash either at least I don't think it is.

Yeah, not great and not garbage either. More importantly, the price is right; the cool thing about pulling a 5* or 6* on the free draw is that whatever you get was basically just a login bonus. It feels way less awful than striking out on a banner.

I was salty the other day because I hit a 5* after a two-week dry spell and it was a useless dupe, but then I logged in today and snagged Aerith's dualcast LMR. Much better!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

:getin:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImPureAwesome posted:

People keep saying this, and maybe it's true for people who've been playing for years, but it sure wasn't the case for me. It took me awhile to build up teams/hones for some fights as I had gotten through most content before the nightmares just spamming the same 5-6 fighters

Hones (or fight-appropriate BSBs) are the biggest deal for the ones with weird gimmicks like expecting you to fight with Summon/White/Ninja magic.

That being said, if you can't handle Nightmares even paying attention to the gimmicks, Magicites and Torments will probably hand you your rear end anyway. The endgame content ramps up ridiculously.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

I thought Evrae was the one you could cheese with Ninja magic, because they can ignore RES.

Naw, ninja magic owns Guardian, not Evrae.

The best thing for Evrae are the (oft-maligned, because the entry is pretty useless on most content now) White Mage BSBs with entry damage like Minwu, Aeris, Relm, and Rosa's first ones. The entries will deal lots of damage without breaking mastery conditions, and the BSB commands will cut down on all the healing and Dia hones you might otherwise have to do.

Anybody having trouble with the fight should look for relics like that in their stash.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cattail Prophet posted:

RoP has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me so far. My 6* rate has been pretty ridiculous, but a solid half of those have been dupes.

Yeah, I've had a real slew of "bad" disco pulls, including my FOURTH (!) Marche USB

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

what the hell the magicite dungeons are

lol good luck mate

I was so traumatized by how full of poo poo they felt/how underprepared I was when they dropped that I literally put off doing them for like a year, then immediately started sub-30ing the 3* ones on my first go

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

like ff6's gogo is one of my favorite final fantasy characters and i was psyched when he was added but he's just straight up bad and i don't think i've ever used him. meanwhile i haven't played a numbered final fantasy game after 7 (and/or tactics) and tidus has practically never left my brute force team since i dived him and got his ultra soul break. you gotta compromise.

man I just got gogo's BSB in the latest realms on parade and until then I'd literally forgotten they added him

then I remembered there's also ff5 gogo as like, a water mage or something, and wow there's a lot of content in this goofy gacha game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
And fwiw - I think Cowcaster is about on par with the way I do things in this regard - there's a middle ground between never doing anything past the 140 difficulty and being all caught up on 5* magicites. The endgame is several tiers of content deep at this point and I recently finished sub-30 3* magicites for the first time meeting a compromise between using my favorites (Balthier and Agrias were my first full dives) and using broken-rear end guys I've been fortunate enough to get a lot of loot for (Squall and Tidus put in a ton of work for me even if they're nerds).

If you decide to come back, or for anyone else who feels like you, one thing that helps is getting one or two really broken, meta lynchpin items (like Elarra's USB) and leaning on that to make up for the fact that you wanna bring Setzer a lot or w/e

There's also enough content and weird poo poo going on in the game that if you're bored you can have some fun experimenting. There used to be people whose whole gimmick was soloing hard (not usually the hardest, but tough) fights with characters like Galuf and Golbez who had robust kits with a lot of survivability built into their offense. That kinda thing.

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Pretty sure I got this recently. Again, I need to go through a ton of stuff, but I suppose I should prioritize that one? What makes it so great?

People covered this but to reiterate: USB Elarra is a one-stop shop for high-level healing. Regenga makes its group healing throughput unparalleled, group quickcast is obviously a massive boon both offensively and defensively, and to top it all off she has a good record dive. There's really no reason to ever bring another healer anywhere, unless you absolutely need last stand or something for a gimmick and can't get it anywhere else on your team or something.