Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Sue has always been OP. North is definitely coming up with more creative uses for all of the FF's powers though.

But yeah, turns out the ability to make invisible force fields anywhere at any time of about any size is really powerful.

And credit where its due, it was Byrne who started the ball rolling. (You don't have to credit him with anything else.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

"For Black History Month this year, we want to look past our famous black characters and honor their greatest allies, the White Moderates."

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 23, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In this time of celebration we need to make sure everyone remembers the real heroes: the straights. We must pay homage to them for daring to engage in the greatest challenge of all: "treating people like human beings."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sue has always been OP. North is definitely coming up with more creative uses for all of the FF's powers though.

But yeah, turns out the ability to make invisible force fields anywhere at any time of about any size is really powerful.

There's also the story line where her power is a global extinction level event if nobody stops her.

Ryan North is really creative with their uses of powers, which makes them super strong, but that leads to Ben being kind of the odd one out. Can't really punch that creatively, unless you're in a martial arts / slapstick movie, I guess.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Half the reason super strong characters are viable is because there is a history of using their powers creatively. Or if not "creatively" there has at least been a wilful denial of physics or good sense. Stuff like thunderclaps or punching the ground to create and aim a rift, picking something up that should not maintain integrity being lifted by only two hands, grabbing stuff that normally shouldn't be grabbable, etc.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

cant cook creole bream posted:

Ryan North is really creative with their uses of powers, which makes them super strong, but that leads to Ben being kind of the odd one out.

Hey now, Ben managed to escape being trapped in a hole with dog.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Hey now, Ben managed to escape being trapped in a hole with dog.

Making him approximately as powerful as Ryan North himself.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I dunno how creative you can be with Ben's powers, but North has made him the glue that keeps the FF together.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ben being the most normal and relatable one works well imo

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

Ben being the most normal and relatable one works well imo

I think if you gave me a choice of one guy from the Marvel Universe that I'd want to be my friend, it would be Ben. He's a real mensch.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Ben is great and all. He just can't do cool poo poo like, instantly figuring out a complete maze by stretching a forcefield into every possibile branch.
Susan is scary. I wonder how escalated her power will be in the movie. Vanessa Kirby could be a cool choice for her.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

cant cook creole bream posted:

Ben is great and all. He just can't do cool poo poo like, instantly figuring out a complete maze by stretching a forcefield into every possibile branch.
Susan is scary. I wonder how escalated her power will be in the movie. Vanessa Kirby could be a cool choice for her.

Couldn't Reed figure out a maze by stretching himself into every branch, and Johnny figure it out by feeling the airflow in his fire? Really, Ben is the only one who could be stumped by a maze.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ben would simply clobber his way through the maze walls

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I was gonna say, Sue's always been busted, I'd say it's Johnny who North has really buffed the hell out of. I'm no FF historian but I've never really seen him do anything too crazy besides shoot fire and fly. Now he's creating semi-autonomous fire clones? (Glad to see this week's triumphant return of Flame-O) Just wild poo poo from both Storm siblings

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoPair posted:

I was gonna say, Sue's always been busted, I'd say it's Johnny who North has really buffed the hell out of. I'm no FF historian but I've never really seen him do anything too crazy besides shoot fire and fly. Now he's creating semi-autonomous fire clones? (Glad to see this week's triumphant return of Flame-O) Just wild poo poo from both Storm siblings

He used to do the occasional bit of wacky stuff with his abilities back in the Silver Age, especially in the early days where he had less endurance with his powers

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Johnny's always had a high ceiling on his powers in terms of intensity (it's not called a Nova flame for nothing) but to my knowledge it wasn't until North that he used them with the kind of creativity that Sue does

Part of me feels like this is an escalation designed to keep him on par with Iceman, who's been doing wilder poo poo with his powers ever since that Emma Frost bodyjacking story from the 90s

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For the longest time Johnny was afraid to use his powers too much because he didn't want to, you know, cook somebody alive so this is a nice sign of maturity with his powers.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

North's triumph with Thing isn't expanding his powers (though the last page this issue hints at it,) it's remembering that a top air force pilot should be reasonably intelligent too, just not Reed or Sue levels. Casually building an airspeed indicator while in freefall is something Batman would do, but North walks us through why it's natural Ben can too.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
North's FF run has got me back into reading and subscribing to comics. It's great. And the use of the powers feels constantly silly and creative. I don't know if Richards using his own eyeballs as binoculars is a common thing across comics , but it is hilarious. In fact, all the stupid ways he stretches bits of himself out are really fun. Is it worth reading Squirrel Girl if I'm enjoying this?

On powers chat though, as a lapsed X-Men fan I've been reading the Krakoa comics, and although the worldbuilding/politics is cool, I really feel like way too much of the plot and worldbuilding lean very heavily on the crazier mutant powers out there, at the expense of the characters behind those powers.

Which is fine to an extent - and I get that any big event comic will inevitably boil down to some super powered deus ex machina situation that breaks the world - but I've found reading Krakoa/of X that way too many of the mutants are really reduced to their powers - especially cast members with the weirder powers - in order to drive the story foward. Like in order to make Krakoa work at all - or for the Rise of the powers of X comics to make any sense - every panel just needs to be an explanation of how a set of mutants are combining their powers to do something.
I might have just not come across it, but like I don't feel like I've learnt anything about who the 5 are as people beyond the fact that their day job is to be a resurrection machine.
I think in one of the newer Rise of the powers comics, Xavier even describes the trick being used to solve the narrative problems as 'a perfect mutant circuit'. Like, I enjoy a lot of this run, but this stuff always feels like it's somehow going against the message of X-Men a a whole, by reducing characters to just their powers?

Does this jive with anyone else? Is there some series hidden in the past few years that I might have missed that's more reflective or self-aware about all this?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
If you like North's FF I'd absolutely recommend giving Squirrel Girl a shot. It's a fair bit wackier but the general vibe is similar. I'm pretty sure SG is what got me reading superhero comics - I'd previously just been following indie stuff.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Squirrel Girl is loving exceptional and everyone should read and love it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

rantmo posted:

Squirrel Girl is loving exceptional and everyone should read and love it.

I will never not quote such powerful truth. Best comic of its decade.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

North's FF run has got me back into reading and subscribing to comics. It's great. And the use of the powers feels constantly silly and creative. I don't know if Richards using his own eyeballs as binoculars is a common thing across comics , but it is hilarious. In fact, all the stupid ways he stretches bits of himself out are really fun. Is it worth reading Squirrel Girl if I'm enjoying this?

On powers chat though, as a lapsed X-Men fan I've been reading the Krakoa comics, and although the worldbuilding/politics is cool, I really feel like way too much of the plot and worldbuilding lean very heavily on the crazier mutant powers out there, at the expense of the characters behind those powers.

Which is fine to an extent - and I get that any big event comic will inevitably boil down to some super powered deus ex machina situation that breaks the world - but I've found reading Krakoa/of X that way too many of the mutants are really reduced to their powers - especially cast members with the weirder powers - in order to drive the story foward. Like in order to make Krakoa work at all - or for the Rise of the powers of X comics to make any sense - every panel just needs to be an explanation of how a set of mutants are combining their powers to do something.
I might have just not come across it, but like I don't feel like I've learnt anything about who the 5 are as people beyond the fact that their day job is to be a resurrection machine.
I think in one of the newer Rise of the powers comics, Xavier even describes the trick being used to solve the narrative problems as 'a perfect mutant circuit'. Like, I enjoy a lot of this run, but this stuff always feels like it's somehow going against the message of X-Men a a whole, by reducing characters to just their powers?

Does this jive with anyone else? Is there some series hidden in the past few years that I might have missed that's more reflective or self-aware about all this?

Sadly, and ironically given their importance to the world building, the Five mainly remain background characters for most of this era, though they pop up a little more often in the X-Factor book. I think Proteus may have gotten a couple guest spots, mostly due to his connection to Moira. The exception is Hope Summers, who becomes a pretty big deal in Gillen's Immortal X-Men later on. That said, once you move past HoX/Pox and Hickman's X-Men book, many of the books in the line are far more character focused, so I'd recommend exploring a bit more.

Echoing everyone's recommendation on Squirrel Girl. And if you enjoy the series and want more, there is a podcast written by North that's in continuity and a great follow-up to his run.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i was just reading squirrel girl last night. read squirrel girl

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mo'lady

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

glitchwraith posted:

Sadly, and ironically given their importance to the world building, the Five mainly remain background characters for most of this era, though they pop up a little more often in the X-Factor book. I think Proteus may have gotten a couple guest spots, mostly due to his connection to Moira. The exception is Hope Summers, who becomes a pretty big deal in Gillen's Immortal X-Men later on. That said, once you move past HoX/Pox and Hickman's X-Men book, many of the books in the line are far more character focused, so I'd recommend exploring a bit more.

Echoing everyone's recommendation on Squirrel Girl. And if you enjoy the series and want more, there is a podcast written by North that's in continuity and a great follow-up to his run.

ok I know I'm 8 years late to the party, but read the first couple issues after everyone's recommendations this week (and vague recollections of people being very excited about it 8 years ago), and these panels on these two subsequent pages where when I realised I was gonna end up reading the whole drat thing

I mean, I'll bet you'll probably see these two pages posted in this exact thread 8 years ago. A fool am I!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That reminds me, whatever happened to Galactus's daughter?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
adam warren hasn't been doing much marvel work for years and no one else cares

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Five definitely could have used more time. They were supposed to have their own book at some point or a book that was out was supposed to cover them but for whatever reason plans changed.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's a finite amount of space, and even real characters that are interesting have trouble getting it. I imagine it was as simple as nobody had an interesting concept of what to do with them. That's it. Nobody fought to make something with them, so nothing got made. After all, if you could pitch anyone, why would you pitch *them*?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Who doesn't want to know about Fabio's gold balls

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Grumbles posted:

ok I know I'm 8 years late to the party, but read the first couple issues after everyone's recommendations this week (and vague recollections of people being very excited about it 8 years ago), and these panels on these two subsequent pages where when I realised I was gonna end up reading the whole drat thing

I mean, I'll bet you'll probably see these two pages posted in this exact thread 8 years ago. A fool am I!

I loving love how Tippy Toe's space suit is just one of Ironman's gloves with a helmet attached. And yes, I'm almost positive these panels have been posted either here or in the funny panels thread more than once before.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I think Covid delays derailed a lot of planned Marvel books, and the X-Men books where no exception. Though, I can't say for certain if the Five where a victim of that or not. I do think the Five could have made a great team book if you found something for them to do outside of resurrecting people, which would make a rather boring narrative on it's own.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm possibly misremembering, but I thought there was an actual The Five book discussed when they were talking about post HoXPoX books.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't paid attention to Marvel in forever but I'm doing a run of wikipedia and reddit and etc. to try and catch up on what's been happening with X-Men.

quote:

After saving a number of mutant children with the team, Victor would be beamed up to an orbital Orchis station his son was using as his base of operations, where he would learn that Graydon had been traveling the multiverse killing versions of Sabretooth and bringing them back as headless cyborgs to prepare for his final confrontation with his father.[159] With the help of the Sabretooths from a few other realities, Creed would defeat Graydon, and recruit the extradimensional and cyborg Sabretooths as his own personal army.[160]

Is this as dumb as it sounds? Is it at least fun schlock?

And then "Sabretooth War" took the pretty horrific and emotional "birthday tradition" and wrapped it al up with this nonsense.... I dunno.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't paid attention to Marvel in forever but I'm doing a run of wikipedia and reddit and etc. to try and catch up on what's been happening with X-Men.

Is this as dumb as it sounds? Is it at least fun schlock?

And then "Sabretooth War" took the pretty horrific and emotional "birthday tradition" and wrapped it al up with this nonsense.... I dunno.

This was part of Victor LaValle's Sabertooth run, which inclued two mini-series and the apparently awful Wolverine crossover. The first mini-series was pretty decent; both a character study of Sabertooth and and critique of the prison industrial complex. The second, Sabertooth and the Exiles, continued that but got a lot more comic booky by the end, as you see in that wiki entry. It's kind of a weird shift, but more forgettable than anything. Not sure what went wrong with Sabertooth War, beyond just Benjamin Percy getting involved.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

This was part of Victor LaValle's Sabertooth run, which inclued two mini-series and the apparently awful Wolverine crossover. The first mini-series was pretty decent; both a character study of Sabertooth and and critique of the prison industrial complex. The second, Sabertooth and the Exiles, continued that but got a lot more comic booky by the end, as you see in that wiki entry. It's kind of a weird shift, but more forgettable than anything. Not sure what went wrong with Sabertooth War, beyond just Benjamin Percy getting involved.

Yeah, The Pit stuff sounded interesting. I might look into that miniseries if it's good and recommended. And I'll just try to ignore this other stuff.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I would 100% recommend Sabretooth, after that I'd say it's your own call. Exiles is fun, and I haven't gotten to Sabretooth War.

Nekra gets to do stuff that isn't banging a racist with a scythe for a hand. Oya hangs with her. It has more Nanny and Orphan-maker!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'd read Marauders first so the two Sabretooth minis hit harder. Not just the parts with Nanny&OM either, but the whole hypocrisy between the formation of the Marauders themselves and what happen to a different group of undesirables.

Those are all great comics and worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The Sabertooth books were weirdly thoughtful and interesting explorations of Creed as a character and also the flaws in Krakoan justice; then the Sabertooth War came along and while I don't think it's the worst thing I ever read, it's got me rolling my eyes real hard at any time someone has suggested Percy's a good writer. I don't care how much you love the Hank McCoy=Kissinger gag!

Incidentally I started reading comics around the time they were toying around with the idea of Creed's redemption (Age of Apocalypse and his stint as the X-Men's live-in prisoner) so there was something weirdly nostalgic about having him be the focal point in his own story instead of the bogeyman in a Wolverine book