Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

glitchwraith posted:

I think Covid delays derailed a lot of planned Marvel books, and the X-Men books where no exception. Though, I can't say for certain if the Five where a victim of that or not. I do think the Five could have made a great team book if you found something for them to do outside of resurrecting people, which would make a rather boring narrative on it's own.

The Five are pretty hard to write a book around when the first info block about them says doing resurrections is really chill for them and they all really love each other and have no issues with doing nothing but return people all day, especially Proteus don't worry about him at all.

That is maybe better than any implications made by not stating that up front, but it doesn't give The Five much room for stories beyond being another lever of political power in Krakoa. IIRC, they were supposed to feature in X-Factor more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

The Sabertooth books were weirdly thoughtful and interesting explorations of Creed as a character and also the flaws in Krakoan justice; then the Sabertooth War came along and while I don't think it's the worst thing I ever read, it's got me rolling my eyes real hard at any time someone has suggested Percy's a good writer. I don't care how much you love the Hank McCoy=Kissinger gag!

Incidentally I started reading comics around the time they were toying around with the idea of Creed's redemption (Age of Apocalypse and his stint as the X-Men's live-in prisoner) so there was something weirdly nostalgic about having him be the focal point in his own story instead of the bogeyman in a Wolverine book

I've been thinking I'd like to read more comics about Sabretooth and the stuff with him as a prisoner is recommended a lot. Near as I can tell it starts with X-Men Unlimited #3 (which is always an issue directly named and recommended in the threads I've found) and I guess I'll just follow this list from there on the "prisoner storyline".

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The core plot of the Sabretooth mini kind of unfortunately makes no sense, because the premise is that none of the other Krakoans know that the Pit exists and that it's some great big sinful secret that the Quiet Council was hiding from their citizens. Even disregarding that the Pit had been referenced in other books by this time so other mutants definitely did in fact know about it...why in the world would they not know? Why wouldn't the Council simply tell everyone about it? The whole point of having a system of punishment is to deter others from committing the same crimes, but how would they be deterred if they didn't know the actual punishment?

"Hey Eye Boy, remember not to kill anyone!"
"Why, what would happen if I did?"
";)"

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 27, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Maduo posted:

The Five are pretty hard to write a book around when the first info block about them says doing resurrections is really chill for them and they all really love each other and have no issues with doing nothing but return people all day, especially Proteus don't worry about him at all.

That is maybe better than any implications made by not stating that up front, but it doesn't give The Five much room for stories beyond being another lever of political power in Krakoa. IIRC, they were supposed to feature in X-Factor more?

That is exactly what I found weird tho, that the five (and other characters in the saga, although the five are the most obvious) seem content with essentially just being their powers all day, in order to keep the wheels of krakoa turning. That seems very counter to the whole message of x men that people are more than their physical characteristics. I figured they might do something a bit more reflective with Xavier being constantly plugged into his powers considering he’s always using his fetching cerebro hat at least

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

X-Force is probably the closest to what you're describing. Black Tom is connected to Krakoa constantly and talks a lot about the discomfort of it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I'll check it out!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ultimate spidey is awesome. Just keeps me guessing on what's gonna happen.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

I'd read Marauders first so the two Sabretooth minis hit harder. Not just the parts with Nanny&OM either, but the whole hypocrisy between the formation of the Marauders themselves and what happen to a different group of undesirables.

Those are all great comics and worth a read.

I think you mean Hellions, though easy mistake to make given Emma stole Sinister's team name, and Sinister replied in kind. Both a really good books to check out though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

glitchwraith posted:

I think you mean Hellions, though easy mistake to make given Emma stole Sinister's team name, and Sinister replied in kind. Both a really good books to check out though.

:doh:

drat it. Yes, Hellions, not Marauders. The earlier Marauders wasn't bad, but really it's Hellions that shines among those two and makes for a good companion book for LaValle's Sabretooth work.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

glitchwraith posted:

I think Covid delays derailed a lot of planned Marvel books, and the X-Men books where no exception. Though, I can't say for certain if the Five where a victim of that or not. I do think the Five could have made a great team book if you found something for them to do outside of resurrecting people, which would make a rather boring narrative on it's own.

Man I’m so mad we never got that second arc of The Amazing Mary Jane.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So folks were talking about the new X-Men cartoon, based on the old X-Men cartoon, and nostalgia. Somebody said

quote:

90's nostalgia in regards to the X-men comics, seems to only mean everything between 1990 and 1992. With the period from 1995 to 2000 in particular having quite a bad reputation

Can any X history buffs fill me in on any of this? Why is the early 90s so highly acclaimed and the late 90s so hated?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So folks were talking about the new X-Men cartoon, based on the old X-Men cartoon, and nostalgia. Somebody said

Can any X history buffs fill me in on any of this? Why is the early 90s so highly acclaimed and the late 90s so hated?

the early 90s is when X-Men #1 and X-Force #1 were The Highest Selling Comics of All Time and when the original animated series started, mid-to-late 90s is when you start getting things like Age of Apocalypse and Onslaught which still have their fans (AoA more than Onslaught lol) and by 2000 you have Warren Ellis revamping the entire line with COUNTER X and loving nobody remembers or cares about Counter X because it was a dismal failure quickly overshadowed by Grant Morrison's X-Men

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kingtheninja posted:

Ultimate spidey is awesome. Just keeps me guessing on what's gonna happen.

Yeah I did not expect that ending! Also the implication that Stark didn't give his tech to Peter but used Osborn tech? What's going on there?

Also, our very own Vulpes had a pretty awesome ad in the comic. It was a double-page spread of three upcoming Blood Hunt storyline comics, all written by him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Early 90s is the end of Claremont's run leading to the big relaunch Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor, and the launch of X-Men (New Mutants was canceled and turned into X-Force shortly prior to this). It was cool with lots of new costume designs, some pretty big ideas, and generally a fun vibe.

Claremont left shortly thereafter and it became meandering with some mediocre writers making non-sensical storylines and endless crossovers (though Age of Apocalypse fits in here and is - if not appreciated for its quality, at least enjoyed for what it did) that also led to the Heroes Reborn era.

Objectively the relaunch era isn't really very good, and you could see Claremont being frustrated with being secondary to the superstar artists he was working with (who also left to go start Image), but I think it gets a lot of rose-tinted glasses just for being the formative X-Men for a lot of people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That era is kinda funny because it's like "we have the most popular comic in America, but all the people involved with getting it there have quit."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

John Francis Moore's X-Force is secretly the best X Book of the 90s don't tell anyone

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Gripweed posted:

That reminds me, whatever happened to Galactus's daughter?

Did you manifest into existence Galacta being in the new Marvel video game? Can you ask about US1?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
There are a few post Claremont early 90s X-Men stories that are fun reads. After Age of Apocalypse there really isn’t anything worth reading in adjective less or Uncanny until New X-Men. (Unless you really love Eve of Destruction or operation zero tolerance.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lobok posted:

Yeah I did not expect that ending! Also the implication that Stark didn't give his tech to Peter but used Osborn tech? What's going on there?

Also, our very own Vulpes had a pretty awesome ad in the comic. It was a double-page spread of three upcoming Blood Hunt storyline comics, all written by him.

I think Harry might have come into some of Tony's tech rather than the other way around. His Goblin suit does seem to have Stark-esque aesthetics. Maybe Oscorp took over Tony's company and got his tech after he got framed and went on the run? Kind of like how Norman got his hands on Tony's stuff in Dark Reign in 616.

I wouldn't be surprised if this experience is going to see Peter switching to a normal costume in the future - after all, you can't remotely override a cloth mask!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We're three issues into Ultimate Spider-Man and Peter's identity has been found out by two people already. A proud Ultimate Spider-Man tradition carries on!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Harry might have come into some of Tony's tech rather than the other way around. His Goblin suit does seem to have Stark-esque aesthetics. Maybe Oscorp took over Tony's company and got his tech after he got framed and went on the run? Kind of like how Norman got his hands on Tony's stuff in Dark Reign in 616.

Yeah, maybe. Harry's use of "proprietary" gave me the sense it was a more personal form of ownership. Though the Goblin suit was designed by the artist to have that centre chest light, which has no history or precedent in Goblin designs but is obviously a hallmark of Iron Man suits.

X-O posted:

We're three issues into Ultimate Spider-Man and Peter's identity has been found out by two people already. A proud Ultimate Spider-Man tradition carries on!

His identity is weak to unconventional hair. Redheads and Osborns have a much higher chance statistically of finding it out.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 27, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this experience is going to see Peter switching to a normal costume in the future - after all, you can't remotely override a cloth mask!

Lobok posted:

Yeah, maybe. Harry's use of "proprietary" gave me the sense it was a more personal form of ownership. Though the Goblin suit was designed by the artist to have that centre chest light, which has no history or precedent in Goblin designs but is obviously a hallmark of Iron Man suits.

From the very first panel in issue one. It's been known.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah ok, must have missed the discussion of it back then.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Did you manifest into existence Galacta being in the new Marvel video game? Can you ask about US1?

No, my powers only work on Galacta.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Can you try and see to be sure? Just start talking about Sleepwalker for a bit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SilverSupernova posted:

Can you try and see to be sure? Just start talking about Sleepwalker for a bit.

Why haven't they done a Galacta action figure yet?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Gripweed posted:

Maybe try other Galactus-related characters? I'd be down for more Taaia! :swoon:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
she's cameo-ing in resurrection of magneto currently

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Party Boat posted:

Maybe try other Galactus-related characters? I'd be down for more Taaia! :swoon:

Taaia popped up a couple times briefly so far in the Resurrection of Magneto book.

EDIT: Beaten, but read that book it's very good!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I definitely will when it hits Unlimited!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Galactus Family is going to be big.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Preview for Avengers #12 (fall of x crossover) https://www.cbr.com/avengers-x-men-fall-x-exclusive/. I haven’t read a ton of stuff with 3-D Man outside of the Busiek Avengers, but did he have a heel turn at some point?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

When did they add another name for Magneto?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Azubah posted:

When did they add another name for Magneto?

Which one? Max was from Magneto Testament in 2008.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

srypher posted:

Preview for Avengers #12 (fall of x crossover) https://www.cbr.com/avengers-x-men-fall-x-exclusive/. I haven’t read a ton of stuff with 3-D Man outside of the Busiek Avengers, but did he have a heel turn at some point?
Triathlon/3-D Man hasn't been used all that much over the years.

After Busiek's Avengers run his next big plot beat was being part of Captain America's anti-registration resistance, not doing anything of note during Civil War, then joining up with the Initiative program after that. He didn't do much with that either, until Secret Invasion started and his 3D Man glasses were one of the few things that could detect Skrulls, which turned him into a kind of radicalized Skrull Hunter. A lot of the other Initiative members were not a fan of him being so eager to kill all Skrulls, so he quit.

He's been part of some Agents of Atlas revivals since then, but otherwise has mostly just appeared in crowd shots. I honestly don't remember what he did in the Atlas stuff, so picking up the thread of "3D Man is kind of violently xenophobic" from the Secret Invasion storyline seems like what they're running with for this story.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

Triathlon/3-D Man hasn't been used all that much over the years.

After Busiek's Avengers run his next big plot beat was being part of Captain America's anti-registration resistance, not doing anything of note during Civil War, then joining up with the Initiative program after that. He didn't do much with that either, until Secret Invasion started and his 3D Man glasses were one of the few things that could detect Skrulls, which turned him into a kind of radicalized Skrull Hunter. A lot of the other Initiative members were not a fan of him being so eager to kill all Skrulls, so he quit.

He's been part of some Agents of Atlas revivals since then, but otherwise has mostly just appeared in crowd shots. I honestly don't remember what he did in the Atlas stuff, so picking up the thread of "3D Man is kind of violently xenophobic" from the Secret Invasion storyline seems like what they're running with for this story.

That or he's following in the footsteps of his fellow Avenger and is a man on the inside for the resistance.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yvonmukluk posted:

That or he's following in the footsteps of his fellow Avenger and is a man on the inside for the resistance.

Yeah 3DMan seems like the kinda guy McKay would absolutely give a push to

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

srypher posted:

When he helped to “hide” Shelly Miscavige

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I read Sabretooth's 1993 mini and also this little series with him and Mystique. Neither really did much for me. Also having Sabretooth, renowned killer and monster, constantly use the word "geek" was...offputting. I was a little worried all the stuff with him would use that level of dialogue and excessive exclamation points.

But X-Men Unlimited #3 was really good. Now he's a prisoner of Xavier's and I hope the rest of that maintains roughly the same level of quality.

The miniseries had interesting points; I just hated the juvenile dialogue. But the whole overarching idea in it and in XU3 - that he does feel emotional pain and that his attempt to drive this away motivates him more than simply being some unfeeling psycho - is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-Men 28 was a really, really good issue.

Gonna bre reading a bit more Sabes then jumping into Krakoa and his 2022 mini thanks to this handy dandy reading guide
https://www.crushingkrisis.com/defi...-reading-order/