Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i loved excalibur and enjoyed xforce, but Spurrier's stuff was still better than both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

I think they where all trying. Excalibur, though not everyone's cup of tea, did some interesting world building, and was apparently successful in channeling that old Captain Britain weirdness. X-factor had a really good premise, but was perhaps a little too decompressed. Duggan's X-Men has been fine, but limited itself with it's voting gimmick. Having the team change every real life year doesn't give a whole lot of breathing room for plots and team interaction, but there are plenty of fun comics sprinkled in there. I actually think the winding down in Fall of X has hurt Duggan's book the most.

New guy here and all but just from reading stuff on Reddit and such, Duggan's latest stuff seems to get the most criticism because the X-Men are killing people all willy-nilly. Not just Wolverine either but Shadowcat and Nightcrawler are (supposedly, I haven't read it) killing folks with great abandon.

My best guess as a total new reader is that, since on Krakoa the #1 law was to never kill a human. fuckin' murdering the poo poo out of people now shows how much everything has deteriorated or fallen apart. Maybe that is Duggan's intent, anyway.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 9, 2024

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

New guy here and all but just from reading stuff on Reddit and such, Duggan's latest stuff seems to get the most criticism because the X-Men are killing people all willy-nilly. Not just Wolverine either but Shadowcat and Nightcrawler are (supposedly, I haven't read it) killing folks with great abandon.

My best guess as a total new reader is that, since on Krakoa the #1 law was to never kill a human. fuckin' murdering the poo poo out of people now shows how much everything has deteriorated or fallen apart. Maybe that is Duggan's intent, anyway.

jesus christ is reddit loving dumb.

There are reasons for that stuff that happen organically through the entire era, do yourself a favor and stop reading about stuff that's happening years after where you are now, you'll enjoy it more.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
"Kill no man" was a law that was decided during peacetime, when Krakoa was functioning as a state, and the looming robot apocalypse was a lot further down the line.

When even Captain America is like "Sometimes you got to kill a fascist" you've probably not crossed any significant moral horizons. Or at least, not any more than superheroes, a genre of person whose entire M.O. is doing varying degrees of violence, should be concerned about.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why would they continue to follow the laws of krakoa when krakoa is gone? the only set of laws left to follow have already declared that the existence of mutants is a crime.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wonder why reddit is mad Kate is killing racists??? It is a mystery

Pretty good sign you shouldn't be on that Reddit, imo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is out of character for kurt to start killing dudes. especially after his recent mini, where he fought orchis with his magic non-lethal sword. kate and piotr, though? it's not a new development for either of them.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

site posted:

I wonder why reddit is mad Kate is killing racists??? It is a mystery

We may never truly know. Researchers are baffled.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
People just reading wiki or Reddit summaries of the entire Krakoa era and saying it’s bad or getting mad winds me up. It is one of the best runs of comics of all time and characters actions make sense within the context of the society and what’s going on at the time. There is an entire, very good, issue dedicated to Kate’s recent actions, but if you just read a summary it’s not going to make sense. I mean Jesus Christ there were people moaning about Sins of Sinister.

The remaining mutants are fighting against a genocidal trans national alliance who have suborned the courts, the media, industry. There are probably maybe 30? mutants left on Earth right now. There’s just been an entire plot arc how over at least 9 timelines mutants always lose (or at least Moira does…). Being Kum Ba Yah is not a luxury they have and is peak hand wringing liberalism.

Honestly my biggest problem with some other X-men runs (think post AvX) is how everyone is saying Scott is too radical for crossing his arms with an X whilst for profit prisons are trying to extract as much money out of incarcerating mutants as possible.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

NikkolasKing posted:

I understand the killing just fine. I don't like Duggan's work now because the books started to repeat fights/beats/jokes including the ones that made me go "hmm that's pretty close to being racist" and the stories are decompressed to the point that I am annoyed I have to read them to keep up since they're the main line of the story that the books I like play off of.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fair enough @ all the comments on how the killings do make sense. That's why I brought it up here, to get opinions from other fans who are reading the present comics. I'll get there myself someday, hopefully soon-ish.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On a totally different note, I bought a bunch of Krakoa TPBs off Kindle cuz of the sale, right. I bought the Event ones because it made sense. Marvel Unlimited will direct you to the next issue in a series automatically but Events have issues from across different series. Simpler and easier I figured to just buy, say, X of Swords on Kindle where it will include all the comics I need without me having to jump around.

But...Kindle Panel/Guided view sucks. I was so happy to learn it had Guided View back like Comixology did. But it looks really, really bad on my PC. It's all blurry and poo poo. I dunno why but MU's version is infinitely superior. So I've just ended up using that still, even for the comics I own on Kindle, jumping around and poo poo.

It's very annoying and I don't know why I can't just buy digital comics on Marvel's website. Does anyone else know?

Also, I've heard Marvel Unlimited does not digitally release new comics. Like if an issue comes out this month, I won't have it to read on MU right away. Is that true? If so, I'll have to actually use Kindle for those. Or, if there are any alternatives, I'd appreciate the information.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You can read any series on Unlimited on Marvel’s Site.

No clue why Kindle despite buying Comixolgy could not use their much better reader instead.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

You can read any series on Unlimited on Marvel’s Site.

No clue why Kindle despite buying Comixolgy could not use their much better reader instead.

Well I tried Rise and Fall of X and the issue from March still says not available for me
https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/111684/rise_of_the_powers_of_x_2024_3
https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/111663/fall_of_the_house_of_x_2024_3

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

That’s cause only issues 1 and 2 have been added.

There is generally a three month delay before new stuff is added to unlimited.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

On a totally different note, I bought a bunch of Krakoa TPBs off Kindle cuz of the sale, right. I bought the Event ones because it made sense. Marvel Unlimited will direct you to the next issue in a series automatically but Events have issues from across different series. Simpler and easier I figured to just buy, say, X of Swords on Kindle where it will include all the comics I need without me having to jump around.

But...Kindle Panel/Guided view sucks. I was so happy to learn it had Guided View back like Comixology did. But it looks really, really bad on my PC. It's all blurry and poo poo. I dunno why but MU's version is infinitely superior. So I've just ended up using that still, even for the comics I own on Kindle, jumping around and poo poo.

It's very annoying and I don't know why I can't just buy digital comics on Marvel's website. Does anyone else know?

Also, I've heard Marvel Unlimited does not digitally release new comics. Like if an issue comes out this month, I won't have it to read on MU right away. Is that true? If so, I'll have to actually use Kindle for those. Or, if there are any alternatives, I'd appreciate the information.

I'm sure you can do it on Unlimited, but anything I buy on kindle gets archived as a cbz now since some of my digital purchases have vanished.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ok so I thought in Death of Captain Marvel it was going to be a big heroic sacrifice not slowly dying of cancer in his death bed while their friends and loved ones grieve

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

That’s cause only issues 1 and 2 have been added.

There is generally a three month delay before new stuff is added to unlimited.

Alright, that's what I needed to know. Thank you. So once I catch up, I'll have to buy from Kindle or wait three months.

Soonmot posted:

I'm sure you can do it on Unlimited, but anything I buy on kindle gets archived as a cbz now since some of my digital purchases have vanished.

I'm not sure what you mean by archived?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

saved to their own storage

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ultimate x-men went by in a flash, what a fun book so far. Really interested to see where this first arc is going to land.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soonmot posted:

Marvel unlimited is a barely functional mobile app and pretty much entirely useless on desktop web browser, and no you can't read new issues on it

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

As others have said, Shadowcat killing is depicted as a major shift and story beat. While I don't recall Nightcrawler killing people, at this point it's literal war with Orchis, so it neither surprises or upsets me. My issue with Duggan's current comics is closer to Rick's complaint. Because the fight against Orchis is spread out across the entire line, a lot of comics have very similar fights going on that seem to just keep going or repeating. At the same time, though, it seems to be rushing through the many lingering plots, which don't get enough time to have the appropriate impact.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Roth posted:

Ok so I thought in Death of Captain Marvel it was going to be a big heroic sacrifice not slowly dying of cancer in his death bed while their friends and loved ones grieve

That is why it is actually good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
need this as an ongoing

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

site posted:

Marvel unlimited is a barely functional mobile app and pretty much entirely useless on desktop web browser, and no you can't read new issues on it

Works fine on my surface. Just have to use google to find anything.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it doesn't have continued reading, it doesn't have your library, and yesterday i went to read an event i had been reading on the mobile app and it straight up doesn't exist on the web browser version

e: it hadn't occured to me to use google to search unlimited but that's a pretty good tell that it sucks poo poo

site fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 10, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every day I think about how the Shonen Jump/Viz app is a billion times better than anything Marvel or DC have put out for reading comics. $2/month, everything is clearly archived, even things that you can't read online, the only real limit is 100 issues/day (which requires you to sit down and read manga nonstop for hours to hit.)

I would murder for a Marvel app that was that easy to use even if it was cost effective. Just "I want to read the Krakoa Arc" or whatever and it's nice and clean.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

glitchwraith posted:

As others have said, Shadowcat killing is depicted as a major shift and story beat. While I don't recall Nightcrawler killing people, at this point it's literal war with Orchis, so it neither surprises or upsets me. My issue with Duggan's current comics is closer to Rick's complaint. Because the fight against Orchis is spread out across the entire line, a lot of comics have very similar fights going on that seem to just keep going or repeating. At the same time, though, it seems to be rushing through the many lingering plots, which don't get enough time to have the appropriate impact.

Honestly my biggest issue is that Orchis is going down too easily. With the exception of Feilong who is currently messing with Tony and actually putting up a fight. All the human Orchis leaders have gone down easily.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I also use Google to find issues or series I want. I guess that is kinda lame but I don't mind it nearly as much as a lack of continued reading, or how the reader stops working if I leave it unattended for too long. If I just leave the comic alone in a tab for a bit to come back to later, pages will stop appearing for me and everything goes black and I have to reload and start over.

Like I said though, it still beats Kindle for this so I'll keep using it.

glitchwraith posted:

Fair. That all makes sense.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lord_Hambrose posted:

That is why it is actually good.

Yeah just got takej off guard

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
considering how much trouble a single sentinel gave storm, magneto and brashear, the sentinels alone should have been more than adequate. even with their... adjusted priorities, the sentinels would still probably come out on top if not for the dynamic team up of tony and max.

as for why the human members of orchis are all such chumps, that's just regular overconfidence. they coerced xavier into defeating the rest of the mutants for them and took that victory as proof of orchis' military might.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It's also a plot point that they where already made chumps by the AI, who had always planned to use and betray the human members of Orchis. The point is that they where never the main threat.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ImpAtom posted:

Every day I think about how the Shonen Jump/Viz app is a billion times better than anything Marvel or DC have put out for reading comics. $2/month, everything is clearly archived, even things that you can't read online, the only real limit is 100 issues/day (which requires you to sit down and read manga nonstop for hours to hit.)

I would murder for a Marvel app that was that easy to use even if it was cost effective. Just "I want to read the Krakoa Arc" or whatever and it's nice and clean.

Still, none of these readers let you pick and keep a zoom level, so I don't use any of them. They need to incorporate these basic features sometime. So I only buy DRM free digital comics I can use in an app of my choice like Perfect Viewer.

As always, the official stuff won't ever be great, even for stuff like say picking your subtitle size on netflix (on my TV medium is too small and large is way huge), so we'll always need piracy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

it doesn't have continued reading, it doesn't have your library, and yesterday i went to read an event i had been reading on the mobile app and it straight up doesn't exist on the web browser version

e: it hadn't occured to me to use google to search unlimited but that's a pretty good tell that it sucks poo poo

yikes, that's terribole, but I meant archiving stuff as cbz files.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's the admission everyone wanted about movie synergy in regards to this move. It came directly from Feige.

https://comicsxf.com/2024/04/16/msmarvel-kamala-khan-spiderman-feige-ziglar/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I find it hard to be upset at the retcon even if it is MCU synergy because she was only an Inhuman for MCU synergy in the first place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Here's the admission everyone wanted about movie synergy in regards to this move. It came directly from Feige.

https://comicsxf.com/2024/04/16/msmarvel-kamala-khan-spiderman-feige-ziglar/

Why kill her off for synergy but keep her powers the same?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So what’s going on with Spider-Man right now? He’s Spider-Goblin again? I thought that got sorted out already

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

I find it hard to be upset at the retcon even if it is MCU synergy because she was only an Inhuman for MCU synergy in the first place.

And she was only an Inhuman due to editorial fiat in the first place. When Wilson pitched the character initially she was pitched as a mutant, but Disney didn't have the rights to make X-Men movies at the time and there was an attempt to push Inhumans as the next big franchise (then the abysmal tv show bombed and killed that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImpAtom posted:

Why kill her off for synergy but keep her powers the same?

She's a mutant now and they haven't revealed what her mutant power is.