Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gripweed posted:

I simply avoid being lumped in with that lot by constantly complaining that Marvel never does gay food comics.

What's gay food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Joe Fisto posted:

What's gay food?

In that sentence gay and food are both modifying comics. Series like She Loves To Eat, She Loves To Cook, What Did You Eat Yesterday?, Cheri My Destiny, Confessions of a Shy Baker, etc. you know, gay food comics. And Marvel has nothing to compete in that arena.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Okay but what's the gay food

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Endless Mike posted:

Poutine. I bet its poutine.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The food is not the thing that’s gay!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

mutantIke posted:

When I was catching up on Immortal Thor all the store had were variants which kinda sucked because why would I deprive myself of Alex Ross art (same goes for FF)

This is the right way to do covers. Go with the one you like, not a variant for variant's sake.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

according to the internet it's soy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jiro posted:

That was a really REALLY good issue, where not much really happens and yet there's this sort of tension around the whole dinner, most of it emanating from Peter and Harry.

It's very impressive they've made Harry a menacing Luthor type, is it just me or will Peter end up having an affair with Gwen? Was I the only one picking up vibes like that?

I wouldn't say it had those vibes but it's hard not to think something along those lines when that particular double date happens and it brings to mind the old Romita days when they'd all go out together and ended in the pairings that it did.

I liked the dinner conversation a lot. One of them did end up being self-conscious about it but I liked that the rich couple were well portrayed as these overbearing Type A personalities who don't have a filter because they never need one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Endless Mike posted:

Brunch

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

All food is gay hth

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

hot dogs. Yeah, I'm on to you, Sonic the Hedgehog

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
hosed up to out Sonic, the world's most way past cool hedgehog, like that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sonic doesn’t eat hot dogs, he eats chili dogs.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Gologle posted:

hosed up to out Sonic, the world's most way past cool hedgehog, like that

We’ve seen pictures of Sonic getting Knuckles pregnant for years now. It’s been known.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just read Marvels. You're never gonna believe this but it turns out that Marvels is a very good comic

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you liked marvels you're gonna love astro city

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

site posted:

if you liked marvels you're gonna love astro city

Everyone should read Astro City. Best ever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Everyone should read Astro City. Best ever.

Agreed, the Metro Book collections have been some of the best comics purchases I've made in the last couple years

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Frank Miller's Daredevil and the Ends of Heroism

This was one of the first books I ever got several years ago now which delves into analyzing a work of fiction and its author. I thought it was extremely interesting and insightful for Miller not just on DD, but Batman and Punisher. I would highly recommend it.

But anyway, I was reminded of it while in my current X-Men and Wolverine reading. Specifically, all the discussions of idealism vs. pragmatism:

Combined with a couple really good Wolverine/Spiderman discussions from 2009 I was just reading...

NikkolasKing posted:

That is a funny thing about Comic Wolverine: it's entirely fair to define his character as a brooding loner and also as a loving mentor. There's no contradiction there for him.

I haven't read as many of his mentor stories yet but I need to get around to them. That Kitty Pryde mini is on my radar just like Wolverine and the X-Men

But this all is reminding me of how in 2009, there were no less than two separate stories of "Wolverine and Spiderman go to a bar." I was reading Wolverine #74 by Aaron and I enjoy looking up reviews of what I've read so I read a review of it from when it first came out and was told just earlier that same yere, there was this from Amazing Spiderman Extra #2

I guess maybe what makes Wolverine an idealist is he wants so badly to be that kind of "real hero" but feels he doesn't deserve it, or even that others won't see him that way.

I am wondering what Logan's and Matt's relationship is and if they've ever had any interesting talks like this?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 28, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what matt is conveniently ignoring is that vigilantism is illegal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I am wondering what Logan's and Matt's relationship is and if they've ever had any interesting talks like this?

Honestly they've crossed paths very little, surprisingly enough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Matt is a Lawyer and heavily believes in the Law. He views Daredeviling as a supplement to it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

MonsterEnvy posted:

Matt is a Lawyer and heavily believes in the Law. He views Daredeviling as a supplement to it.

I'm sorry, are you insinuating Matt Murdock and daredevil are the same person?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Incidentally, the best Daredevil story is the one by Zdarsky, where he happens to murder robber.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Went in search of DD/Wolverine stuff, and was told about this.

But now I'm intrigued because not so long ago in this very thread you all were discussing how many of the comic greats worked on DD and turned out the best stuff of their career. Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, and more.

But this? This was done by Dennis O'Neil, who as far as I know, is another comic great. And just like Frank Miller, is known for having revolutionized Batman. But his work on DD was totally unknown to me until this.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Some of O'Neil's stuff aged very badly and while there is some good stuff in there a lot of it was just O'Neil making sure there was a monthly Daredevil book on the stands (which is in itself fine). It has its fans but I'm not sure his DD run is ever ranked with either O'Neil's best or Daredevil's best.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 30, 2024

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

You would be much better served reading the Question, if you had to choose.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, in terms of underrated writers on Daredevil, there's Ann Nocenti, and, frankly, at this point I'd argue Mark Waid.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, in terms of underrated writers on Daredevil, there's Ann Nocenti, and, frankly, at this point I'd argue Mark Waid.

You think Waid? I adore his run already but I thought it was widely regarded as bringing a bit of much needed levity back to Matt.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Waid's run was so good and not just because Chris Samnee was firing on all cylinders.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

You think Waid? I adore his run already but I thought it was widely regarded as bringing a bit of much needed levity back to Matt.

Oh it's fantastic, but I think it's been treated as kind of an outlier to the extent that it doesn't come up when people recommend Daredevil runs, plus Waid's gotten a reputation like guys like Nicieza now where he's seen as solid, but not spectacular, when I don't think I've read an outright bad comic by him (and I know someone's gonna say Champions, but I enjoyed that run).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Oh it's fantastic, but I think it's been treated as kind of an outlier to the extent that it doesn't come up when people recommend Daredevil runs, plus Waid's gotten a reputation like guys like Nicieza now where he's seen as solid, but not spectacular, when I don't think I've read an outright bad comic by him (and I know someone's gonna say Champions, but I enjoyed that run).

For what it's worth I enjoyed Waid's Champions more on a re-read. Honestly the most painful thing was Jim Zub accidentally breaking the book by trying to have all the young supers in it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I saw Nocenti on all "the Essential Reading" recs I found on Reddit at least. It's why I was confused about reading nothing about O'Neil.

The only name which came up a lot there and I didn't see here was Jeph Loeb. Lots of recommendations for his Daredevil Yellow.

Speaking of which, though, DD does look like a very convenient character to read. You just start in his solo title and follow it straight on through with maybe an occasional mini. But really you just read Daredevil issue afte r Daredevil issue. Compared to trying to keep up with modern X-Men, or even just looking at Wolverine stuff, it be a wonderfully simple task.

Although my impression is Claremont's Uncanny was like this? You just read the one book and it gave you all you really needed on the characters, there was no need to jump around.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I saw Nocenti on all "the Essential Reading" recs I found on Reddit at least. It's why I was confused about reading nothing about O'Neil.

For a long time a lot of O'Neil's stuff wasn't collected, which is less of an issue now with Marvel Unlimited. Nocenti's run is absolutely more worth your time than O'Neil's run.

And yeah, comics used to be much more self-contained.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Nocenti has her hiccups, but a lot of good JRJR art and Matt vs Mephisto help make the run a close second in the history of Daredevil v1.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Inkspot posted:

Nocenti has her hiccups, but a lot of good JRJR art and Matt vs Mephisto help make the run a close second in the history of Daredevil v1.

Also Daredevil's got a great Inferno tie-in.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
So Ultimate Black Panther is just regular Black Panther. Yawn.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What websites are good/can people recommend for getting random back issues?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Had a dream last night that I got furious with Tony Stark because he started advertising Avengers stuff in-universe with ai generated images.

He probably would too.

'TONY did you pay Ultron for the ad artwork instead of real people?'
'Ssshhhhh Vision's right here, also Ultron would get it done cheaper!'

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Beerdeer posted:

So Ultimate Black Panther is just regular Black Panther. Yawn.

I read both Black Panthers, and honestly the Ultimate universe isn’t really blowing me away with its novelty. I read USM 1 and whilst it was novel, I thought Parker came across as self-absorbed. Core concepts in the wider setting we’ve seen before.