Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

NikkolasKing posted:

X-Men 28 was a really, really good issue.

Gonna bre reading a bit more Sabes then jumping into Krakoa and his 2022 mini thanks to this handy dandy reading guide
https://www.crushingkrisis.com/defi...-reading-order/

Nice! Good ol' Sabretooth.

I haven't even read any Krakoa era yet, I wanna finish the Claremont run, but I still get them and peruse stuff to make a call on what stuff to skip out of the huge line-up etc. And it is kind of funny how much research really is involved if you aren't someone who just reads it all on the app etc. Right now I'm looking at the Fall of X tie-ins and also the Fall/Rise of X etc tie-ins, and it's just kind of mind-numbing. But I welcome it. Ok so Foxe did Dark X-Men a few months ago which goes with Fall of X, now he did Dead X-Men which goes with Fall of House. I just betcha some poor soul buying the trade paperbacks is gonna read those two in the wrong order.

I wonder if the upcoming X era will have less books, and maybe less frequent re-titles/re-launches. That would be one nice thing they could do I guess. Kind of lean and mean, and by that I mean like still a crazy amount of books I'm sure, but maybe 60 or 70% as much as the Krakoa era, I dunno. Or at least have the self-restraint to not cross them all over and interconnect them quite so much. I know it appeals to a lot of the fans, especially people here, but just logistically I think it cuts down on how collectable and readable a few years of comics will be down the line.

For me in entertainment, 4 and a half years of backlog is nothing. It is kind of fitting but I guess a little funny that it'll be over before I start it, but I've gleaned enough that I think a lot of it looks cool. But I will be skipping a lot of series for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They announced like 9 new X-Men related titles with more to come so the line is not getting fewer titles.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Codependent Poster posted:

They announced like 9 new X-Men related titles with more to come so the line is not getting fewer titles.

At least by the wikipedia pages, with 3 ongoings so far and 2 minis (and some one shots), it could end up a little lighter than before. But yeah maybe not. It would make my job a bit easier as a backlogging comic fan. (edit: woops, missed that line with all those other titles like Phoenix, Storm etc.)

But at least I've become a pro at curating the onslaught of releases a little to what seems to be my taste. Sometimes you just gotta skip stuff, it's even funny that I'd look at it as skipping, since the default isn't that you'll read every comic series. I see Foxe has another one for the relaunch, Heir of Apocalypse, maybe some day we'll look back at these as the Steve-verse.

Instead of Steve Foxe having a 4 issue mini-series rotation going, could just make it an ongoing called X Chronicles or something, maybe Steve would even get a pay bump. Just goofing around, but it would be simpler.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 1, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Nice! Good ol' Sabretooth.

(From X-Men 33)

Not that I'm some expert, but the name Fabian Nicieza is new to me. I knew Scott Lobdell and others but not his. But he's the one who has done all the Sabretooth stuff I really love, including XU3 and these last couple panels/pages I've posted.

Speaking of names I know, I know the name Larry Hama from years ago. I dunno from what exactly, didn't he do some popular GI Joe poo poo or something? In any event, not only did he do the meh Sabretooth mini, apparently the Wolverine memory retcons are all his fault. I'm a TAS fan who is coming to the comics in earnest and I was just talking about it in the Comic Book Animation thread

NikkolasKing posted:

Although this reminds me of something I remember from TAS where Sabretooth, Wolverine, Silver Fox, and Maverick go to some Weapon X facility and it's revealed they have had their memories substantially altered to make everything look horrible, basically as triggers for violence. I bring this up here because at least in the cartoon it kinda implied Wolverine's memories of Sabretooth attacking Silver Fox was part of the false memories and conditioning.

But, looking at the ep again, it also has memories of Creed with his abusive father.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjGfHg-Wr2w

And 'm pretty sure all of this did in fact happen in the comics and wasn't just BS.

The "Weapon X Program implanted false memories" is apparently all Hama, and most writers have ignored it since:
https://wolverinefiles.com/005-sabretooth-and-silver-fox/

quote:

, Larry Hama soon took over the reins for more than eight years of stories, adding much to Wolverine’s past. Unfortunately, Hama seemed to relish flash over substance, and his revelations soon began to contradict what had come before and even at times what he himself had written. He conveniently added the dreaded memory implant to Wolverine’s past to account for any contradictory memories, further confusing Wolverine’s already convoluted history.

Also whoever wrote that blog deserves a medal, holy loving poo poo.

Anyway, in sum, I like Nicieza, don't like Hama.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hama is great and when I think of Wolvwrine, it's his run on Wolverine that I picture. Niczeia is another underappreciatted great.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Heavy Metal posted:

At least by the wikipedia pages, with 3 ongoings so far and 2 minis (and some one shots), it could end up a little lighter than before. But yeah maybe not. It would make my job a bit easier as a backlogging comic fan. (edit: woops, missed that line with all those other titles like Phoenix, Storm etc.).

They announced another six books, they just don’t have creative teams or release dates. Phoenix, Storm, Wolverine, X-Force, X-Factor, and NYX.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also both X-Men and Uncanny X-Men will ship 18 issues a year. Double shipping on alternating months.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It is baffling to me that despite having multiple major plot lines about all the Mutants living together in one place in the years since the first series, they have never did another District X.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That was the nightcrawler story about everyone having babies constantly and abandoning them

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

site posted:

That was the nightcrawler story about everyone having babies constantly and abandoning them
That story never sat terribly well with me but it seemed panicky, just in a way that didn't exactly map to real-life panics of various sorts. I can certainly buy that there would be a number of abandoned mutant babies and that Kurt would find this terribly dismaying, though, just not the vaguely alluded-to "scale"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-Men 97 got me in the mood so I resubbed to Unlimited and have been checking out current onoings. The new app seems way better.

Had no idea JMS was writing Cap

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This comic coulda come out today based on that last bit of dialogue.

Also that's a real bad argument - "but he suffered a lot as a child for who he was" - since Xavier is obviously aware that the same is very true of Sabretooth as well.

In any event, Boom-Boom was a highlight of X-Men Evolution, my favorite comics-based cartoon of all time. She seems quite interesting in the comics too. So much more to read....

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tabitha Smith is an all-timer comic book character who never gets the props she deserves

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Alaois posted:

Tabitha Smith is an all-timer comic book character who never gets the props she deserves

This is scientific fact.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you're okay reading Warren Ellis books, Boom Boom is loving amazing in N.E.X.T.wave

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

site posted:

she's cameo-ing in resurrection of magneto currently

OK, there must be a way to write this as if it's all neologisms that she's coming up with on the spot. That's practically required.

She has a "bit-part" in the "mini-series"!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

If you're okay reading Warren Ellis books, Boom Boom is loving amazing in N.E.X.T.wave

I mean, I'll read anything from anyone if it's entertaining or interesting. I've always heard high praise for Ellis as a writer. If he's a chud or something IRL, that don't mean too much to me. I got Marvel Unlimited, I'm not buying anything from him or giving him money.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, I'll read anything from anyone if it's entertaining or interesting. I've always heard high praise for Ellis as a writer. If he's a chud or something IRL, that don't mean too much to me. I got Marvel Unlimited, I'm not buying anything from him or giving him money.

Next wave is a must read imo, it's really fun.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Kingtheninja posted:

Next wave is a must read imo, it's really fun.

I wonder if I still have my Nextwave signature banner, let's post and find out.

edit: NOPE! Also, whether or not it holds up--and I haven't read it in ages--it is responsible for permanent changes in the portrayal of of Boom-Boom, Machine Man, and Tabetha Bloodstone in addition to being ground zero for Monica Rambeaux's return so it did a lot of good and has a much bigger legacy than seemed possible at the time.

rantmo fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 1, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I found Nextwave to be pretty aggressively mid-00s in its writing, but in a silly enough way that it was still a fun read

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NikkolasKing posted:

Just garden variety grooming fans (young but over 18) and emotional abuse.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-Terminators is the new Boom Boom recommendation.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Open Marriage Night posted:

X-Terminators is the new Boom Boom recommendation.

It's one of the best books in years no doubt.

Warren Ellis really did so much to make her a good character. Next wave is really a must read at the end of the day.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she was always a good character. nextwave just gave her more recognition.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she was always a good character. nextwave just gave her more recognition.

Yeah, John Francis Moore was doing great stuff with her back in his run of X-Force. In fact, folks should check it out. I think it's like #63-100.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HUGE X-Men Krakoa comics sale just started on Kindle. Goes until 4/29
https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/c...3UG9ydCI6MX0%3D

Such fortuitous timing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So not only is there a Wolverine: Weapon X novel, there's an audiobook of it, too. I never expected this.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Wolverine-Weapon-X-Audiobook/B09GL38M87

Reading a review of it on Reddit, it sounds like it's very similar in writing philosophy to the Weapon X comic. I haven't read that either but this review also stresses how the story is less about an Action Hero/secet agent man mutant, and more about one man being utterly destroyed by a small group of morally dubious scientists.

I might try both when I get paid later tonight/get my Audible credit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have they abandoned Spidey being an avenger?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He would still be considered one but hasn't been officially on the team in a long time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tony probably took his avengers card because he kept asking for money

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Tony probably took his avengers card because he kept asking for money

Nah, Spidey doesn't value money so it creeps Tony out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He doesn't value money as in getting rich like Tony but it has been a running gag in various books that Peter asks if he's getting paid for being an avenger

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Good week from Marvel! I loved Dr. Strange adventuring with his friends (and Taskmaster), Thor was great, and Avengers, She-Hulk, and Moon Knight were all good too. Venom isn't doing as much for me but things are moving along at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm hype for chad hammer.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Codependent Poster posted:

He would still be considered one but hasn't been officially on the team in a long time.

Wasn't the breaking point the whole Superior Spidey thing? I can't recall him being on a team past that point, but to be fair, I haven't really read Spider-Man or Avengers with any great regularity since, either

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

site posted:

He doesn't value money as in getting rich like Tony but it has been a running gag in various books that Peter asks if he's getting paid for being an avenger

Just didn't want that 1099

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

Wasn't the breaking point the whole Superior Spidey thing? I can't recall him being on a team past that point, but to be fair, I haven't really read Spider-Man or Avengers with any great regularity since, either

The last thing I remember Spider-Ock doing as an official Avenger was eating Sunspot’s lunch out of the fridge without asking.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Is there an elaborate/camp in-universe explanation for why the sentinels are all designed to look like big buff dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Grumbles posted:

Is there an elaborate/camp in-universe explanation for why the sentinels are all designed to look like big buff dudes

No but if I had to pull one out of my rear end it's a deliberate attempt to evoke superhero imagery