Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

FutureFriend posted:

how has the zub run of it been so far? something worth reading in general or pretty much just something to wait for when it hits marvel unlimited?

It's only been a few issues so far, but I like it. It reminds me of Peter David's Young Justice, in that Zub is writing them like a bunch of teenagers who hang out rather than an organized super-team.

https://twitter.com/HackinTimSeeley/status/1015266862463176704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

Has a modern version of Shades appeared in a Luke Cage comic or any other comic since the Netflix Show?

Victor Alvarez, Power Man II, is Shades's son. Shades's death was established in Shadowland: Power Man as part of Victor's origin.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't really know much about her backstory. Was her inconvenient childhood explored before?

I'm almost positive that this version of Carol's family is a full-blown retcon. I want to say her dad was alive when she was an Avenger in the '90s grappling with alcoholism, and there's an issue of Claremont's Uncanny X-Men that establishes that Carol's brother Steve died in the Vietnam War.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

In the Marvel Universe's "Brooklyn 99," Jake's background includes at least three attempts at an origin.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I have a sneaking suspicion that Byrne will say or do or be something stupid enough to kill the deal before anything actually gets published.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't there one time Bendis wrote Luke as being capable of surviving a nuclear blast?

He wrote Luke as being close enough to the blast to take fatal radiation, and being too drat stubborn to collapse and die until he got to rendezvous with the other heroes and pass on some needed information. Which I can just about buy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Archyduke posted:

For whatever reason, WCA became a title where writers with already problematic views on gender seemingly felt free to go full-tilt maniac. See also the infamous Mockingbird rape plotline and a lot of bad Tigra ideas. It's a modern miracle that Avengers #200 took place on the coast that it did.

Yeah, I got a cheap subscription back in the day, so I've got a pretty close to unbroken run of Englehart's tenure on the book in a longbox somewhere, and in retrospect, that book is just plain loving weird, even just on a craft level. People keep shouting out the end of their unrelated interior monologues, the team lineup is like watered-down Midnight Sons, everybody is low-key grappling with feelings of their own inferiority, and it's mostly a time-travel plot on top of everything else.

Also, Englehart was trying very hard to get Bonita Juarez over.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I feel like "all of Moon Knight's throwing weapons were designed in ancient Egypt by a time-traveling Hawkeye" is something we don't talk about enough.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

That was brought up too. Like uuuuh whats going on there?

From memory, the WCA got hit with a weaponized version of Doom's time machine that could only go backward, and at one point, end up in ancient Egypt. There's a fight brewing and they need backup, but the locals are unarmed. They have a lot of stone and ivory lying around, though, and some time to kill, so Hawkeye whittles some throwing clubs, darts, and whatnot out of what's available.

Flash-forward to the present day and the cult of Khonshu has adopted those particular weapons as a trademark.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

radlum posted:

Also, Anka's art is amazing; he should never leave the book.

I feel like if that comic's circulation was just a little bit higher, Anka would be starting fashion trends left and right with it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

My girlfriend was watching me play it yesterday and complained that his butt was nowhere near big enough for someone who does lots of jumps and squats.

He probably doesn't eat right.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Covok posted:

Not surprising. Peter should be eating a steady diet of flys, butterflys, and other bugs. Instead, he eats pizza, wheatcakes, and ramen noodles. The guy has got it all wrong.

For some reason, I can't get over the bit in the opening movie where he web-pulls two slices of toast over to himself for breakfast. He doesn't even butter them or anything. It's just two slices of plain toast with web fluid on them.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Plot twist: it's Lyja again.

Also, roughly 50% of the time, in any scene with Reed and Sue, one of them is also Lyja.

Her clever plan to marry each member of the Fantastic Four simultaneously is about to achieve fruition.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

This seems to me like it's setting up an apocalypse scenario where somebody ganks Robbie at the base and he explodes hard enough to melt the polar icecap.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

JordanKai posted:

Is anyone reading Champions under the new writer? If so, how is it? I like the cast and what I've seen of the art looks really nice, so I'd like to check it out. But if isn't much better than Waid's run then I probably won't bother.

The first arc was a little rough but it's hitting its stride nicely now. It reminds me a lot of David and Nauck's Young Justice.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Claremont's run on Uncanny cast a shadow so wide that it changed how DC wrote comics, too. Wolfman's Teen Titans and Batman and the Outsiders were direct reactions to the gigantic success of Uncanny X-Men.

Yeah, I feel like Marvel has its share of influential books and arcs, but they aren't quite as clearly defined as DC's. You can point here to Walter Simonson's Thor, Claremont's Uncanny, and stories like "The Death of Kraven."

Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye is getting up there if not already there. I feel like within the last few years I've seen a lot of books that are playing with the format the way Aja did, mostly indies like 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Infinity Wars has felt a little meandering, and Deodato's got some weird faces going on, but Emma Frost & Loki is the buddy antihero road comedy I never knew I wanted until now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

pubic works project posted:

Nova and Darkhawk are in. I don't know who that is with the white hair. Is that Phyla?

It's Phyla from a neighboring universe, as seen in Infinity Wars. She came over to swap their Reality Gem for 616's, then ended up in a fight with Gamora.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Heathen posted:

I think the death of the new Quasar was meant to be a tongue in cheek reference to diversity. Oh no! A formerly white male hero has relinquished his powers and name to a woman! Finally we have a hero that the people have been... oh wait... she's dead. Nevermind.

I feel like Avril might've been a casualty of the same rapid, somewhat thoughtless rewrites that defined the last two-thirds or so of Secret Empire. There was no particular reason to spend that much time setting her up, to give her a girlfriend and the beginnings of a backstory, only for her to unceremoniously detonate on a fool's errand.

That being said, Wendell Vaughan has died something like four times (Maelstrom dismembered him in his own book; Annihilus capped him during the run-up to Annihilation; he dies during Infinity Gauntlet; and Magus reverses the Ultimate Nullifier onto him in the '90s Infinity War) and come back, and Avril went up in a conveniently massive explosion with no body left behind. I'm not too nuts about a dead Quasar because it appears to come with the name.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

Has there ever been a story about a super genius trailer park white trash? I understand why those two concepts tend to be mutually exclusive, but that duality could be fun before it overstays it's welcome.

Marc Bernardin's Genius from Top Cow is about a once-in-a-century strategist and leader who happens to have been born as a poor black woman in the inner city, but that's as close as I can think of offhand.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

site posted:

No idea who the Black widow writers are but I'll take a book about her

They're horror directors/writers/actors. American Mary is a legit good indie horror film.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

IUG posted:

Yeah, but I think the last issue he just doesn't. I remember him escaping and it made it seem like he had won over those drat FEMALES. I remember it was gross, and I have since sold them away.

It did no such thing. He tricks another tribe into making a useless all-or-nothing attack on the women as a distraction, finds the parts he needs to repair his plane, and escapes... only to end up stuck on a different island that's even worse.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Is there any truth to the internet rumor Marvel is trying to make costumes on licensed stuff less skimpy, or is it just horny internet guys complaining about nothing as usual?

It's probably not Marvel per se. A lot of western developers are toning down the fan service lately in all products, particularly in casual-market games like Future Fight, because they've been convinced that it'll help them pull in a larger female audience.

For example, check out the character design moving from the 2011 Mortal Kombat to 2015's Mortal Kombat X.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

wielder posted:

Trying to tone down Emma Frost of all people sounds silly, given her personality and modus operandi. Especially since she'll still continue to have several revealing costumes in the comics, more often than not, depending on the issue.

In this case the modified clothes still show plenty of skin, either way, so their guidelines for the game probably include a specific rule about covering up chests. Evil, evil chests.

It's difficult to speculate about their internal policies. What I'd suspect, based upon what I know about demographics for this kind of thing, is that they're trying to thread the needle between being relatively faithful to the comics, providing enough fan-service to draw in certain segments of the market, and not having so much fan-service that it turns off the segment of their market that doesn't care for heavy male gaze.

I happened to be looking up Moondragon the other day as part of another conversation, and her Future Fight outfit is probably the second most covered up she's ever been, but still involves a half-shirt.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

tin can made man posted:

Also, why has not one spider just called up their Avengers or Amazing Friends or what have you instead of constantly recruiting the one hero from every dimension who makes the bad guys stronger when they lose

IIRC, spider-totems are both vulnerable to them and capable of killing them, so throwing as many spiders as possible at the problem's the only real option. I remember there were a lot of AU Spider-Men who got friends chopped in the crossfire before they figured that out, like that incredibly mean-spirited panel where we saw the corpses of the Amazing Friends.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

They also went in the opposite direction in Injustice 2.

The truth is...somewhere in the middle.

No, it's not. Your counterexamples, NiER and Soul Calibur VI, aren't from the western developers I'm referring to.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rirse posted:

What even happening in Infinity War? It somehow never got a Wikipedia entry yet.

Post-Secret Wars, the way that the Infinity Stones work has changed. Among other things, a bizarre corruptive influence has taken root within the realm inside the Soul Gem; it used to be a weirdly tranquil internal landscape in there, but now there's something preying on the souls inside.

Since the start of Gerry Duggan's run on Guardians of the Galaxy, Gamora has been trying to figure out what's wrong with her. Eventually, she figured out that when she escaped the realm inside the Soul Stone back in Infinity Gauntlet, she thinks she left an important part of herself behind, and has been doing her best to figure out how to get the Soul Stone back and fix the problem. However, the stresses of fighting over the Stones has fractured the Guardians. Eventually, Gamora seizes control of the Power Stone, houses it in a sword's hilt, and uses it to gank Thanos.

The other people who hold Stones all meet on Earth to try to create a new Infinity Watch; this is somewhat complicated by the fact that the Mind Stone ended up with Turk Barrett, former street hustler/informant turned telepathic gang leader, and he showed up to the meeting with a bunch of hired supervillains in tow. Gamora shows up at that meeting, disrupts it, and manages to get all the Stones at once; this allows her to crack the Soul Stone open and reunite with the lost part of herself.

However, Loki shows up and fast-talks her. There's a place in the universe called the Quarry of Creation, where the walls between realities are thin, and for some reason, not even Gamora with her fistful of Stones is enough to figure out what's going on below it. Loki gets Gamora curious about what might be happening there, and to keep everyone out of her hair while she investigates, she uses the power of the Stones to cram everyone who's on her case into a copied, warped universe contained within the Soul Stone. However, that also opens them up to being pursued by the creature within the Soul Stone, an entity called Devondra, and it's anyone's guess whether or not that was deliberate on Gamora's part; she's been none-too-secretly nuts since she killed Thanos.

This, in turn, is part of Loki's plan. Not only did Gamora inadvertently create another set of Infinity Stones when she copied the universe, but some of the copies she made were influenced by what she saw in Loki's mind as she was doing it. All the people he wanted to use were within easy reach: Emma Frost, Ms. Marvel, Kang, Bruce Banner, and Scott Lang, each of whom is well-suited to wield a particular Infinity Stone. He divvies the realm's new Stones up between them and, as they attack Gamora, takes the opportunity to steal both sets.

That lets him crack into whatever's below the Quarry of Creation, which puts him face to face with a bunch of heretofore-unseen Celestials.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, he was fading away pretty fast. I think I got used to the idea after the last couple of interviews I saw.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jiro posted:

Shots fired

No shots fired. Everyone's got swords.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Roth posted:

Just read Ironheart, thought it was a pretty solid first issue, but nothing amazing. The conversation between Xavier and Riri at the end was pretty fun.

I've noticed that a lot of people who are new to comics from some other writing medium will do a bit of what Ewing did here, and will just overstuff the hell out of their word balloons. Beyond that, though, this was a solid setup issue that tried to establish some supporting cast members that are uniquely Riri's, which is never a bad call.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

^burtle posted:

Too bad Injection died on the vine, I got the sense Shalvey thought this was going to be his breakout work ala Saga and bailed on the gigs Moon Knight would have got him and has just kind of been around in the meantime.

According to Ellis's newsletter, it's because Jordie Bellaire's Redlands ended up being more popular than expected, so her time's been at a premium, and Shalvey ended up on a signing tour that's taken up a lot of his year. Shalvey's also done a lot of incidental work for Marvel in the meantime, like the Deadpool vs. Old Man Logan mini.

As a result, the between-arcs break they'd always planned on ended up extending to the entirety of 2018, and they're planning to finish Injection in 2019.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I kinda hope that they're doing something like basing a new character off that fan theory that the Stan Lee who cameos in every Marvel movie is in fact the MCU version of the Watcher, so it's going to turn out that Uatu has a prankster brother named Ulee or Ustan or something who likes to subtly interfere in events to make them more interesting.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think I know the answer:

You guessed it: Frank Stallone.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I may be grading on a curve on ASM. Slott left very small shoes to fill, and Spencer seems to mostly be doing repair work afterward, with a few legitimately clever plots and beats. He also seems to be playing things relatively carefully compared to his Sam Wilson run.

The issue where Peter ends up out of costume at the Bar With No Name and cleans up at Spider-Man Trivia Night, as X-O says, is actually a genuinely entertaining story, although it's brought down slightly by Humberto Ramos on art.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Who's doing the interior art?

Kate Niemczyk.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Sad to hear Wilson's run is coming to an end. Ms Marvel always seemed like one of those characters who wasn't near as good written by anyone else. But to be fair I was worried about Wolverine and Gabby changing hands and that turned out really well. Has Ahmed written anything particularly recommend-worthy? I really hated what I read of Exiles and dropped it after about 4 or 5 issues.

I like his Miles book a hell of a lot more than I liked his Exiles.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I mean, living in Manhattan on a shoestring as a freelance photographer already did.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It really does feel like it was supposed to have at least one more issue in the main book, though. Either that, or Gage bit off more than he could chew and had to wrap things up quickly.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jiro posted:

Someone please spill, I jumped off and need to know if I avoided the train wreck.

Warlock preempts a new struggle for possession of the Infinity Stones by giving them each sentience and the ability to make their own decisions. They all immediately fly away, including the Soul Stone, which leaves Warlock feeling strangely empty.

The process by which they managed to escape from Gamora's "warped" soul world ended with Loki's makeshift Infinity Watch sticking the Warps into their own pocket universe in the Soul Stone, but doing so required Drax to stay behind. He was also split in the process, into the crazy knife-wielding warrior version of himself and Arthur Douglas, the perfectly normal jazz musician that he was before Mentor turned him into a green-skinned Thanos-seeking missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Who put her in cargo pants?

Adventurers get to wear cargo pants, I should think. They have a reason to have giant pockets everywhere.