Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Pfft, Gwenpool was worth a dozen Mockingbirds, Guruhiru or no. Not that Mockingbird was bad, it just wasn't on the same level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gaz-L posted:

Look, just give me a Dazzler/Jem crossover and I'll be fine.

Things you never knew you wanted until 30 seconds ago.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Love love loved Immortal Hulk #3 with all the different viewpoints, particularly the lovestruck old dear’s take on it. Digging the groove the series has found of creepy horror tales welded to the 70s Hulk show format. Of course if it stays true to it, poor Ms McGee ain’t ever getting an interview.

New Thor was good too, can’t beat a good ol Asgardian screwball farce, and all the explicit mentions of the convoluted family ties was fun to see.

Not even read all of this week’s haul yet but it feels like the best week in ages aready.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Who could forget such WCA classics like “raped by a ghost cowboy” and “woman loses everything and becomes a vessel for primordial black goo trying to get an in on mutants”?

There’s a reason why no one gave a toss about The Avengers pre-2000, the books were nearly always bad. Hell, Alpha Flight often looked good in comparison.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Hey now, let's not bring Alpha Flight into this!

That’s my secret, Cap...

..I fuckin’ love that run of Alpha Flight.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

X-O posted:

Spoilers for the last page of Asgardians of the Galaxy

https://www.newsarama.com/41660-redacted-returns-in-asgardians-of-the-galaxy-1-spoilers.html

Well that is certainly something unexpected.

FFS now I have to read it, even if it makes no sense considering that character was completely obliterated out of existence totally as part of the deal, right?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Covok posted:

Yeah, that's actually how they did the original Ultimate Universe I think. Because Bendis and Millar were still unknowns at the time. Getting like some real Indie talent to build this new universe would be great.

The Authority was red hot until the Levitz thing caused Millar to split from DC and he'd also had a very well regarded Superman Adventures run, calling him an unknown is really stretching it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That splash page makes me weep that we’re not getting it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Finally got around to reading WCA and as noted, Gwen does feel disappointingly off so far, and the setup and framing device is too much like the Misfits book from last year (and wasn’t it the same writer?) which just left me wanting Pizazz to show up and take charge. But those niggles aside, it looks great (though the colourist keeps forgetting about Kate’s hip holes) and the story and cast dynamics are otherwise fun so I’ll take it over any other Avengers book right now.

Get Sarah on the team, imo, it needs some magical oomph.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh jeez Hulk did you really have to do that

unbirthing a guy

Amazing that in an issue that opens with some AAA+ body horror, it manages to do outdo it with an even more terrifying scene by the end.

Loving how delightfully unsettling the series is shaping up. The art really helps, the Hulk looks like a monster again.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I love how Thor lends itself to filler issues better than most. Someone needs a break/skips a deadline? No problem, lets just tell an awesome tale from ages past and somehow it just doesn’t bug me the way it does in other books.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

:psyduck:

Poor ol' Carl just can't catch a break.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: Hulk’s ball & chain in today’s new issue

:stare: :stonklol: :stare:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Open Marriage Night posted:

80’s cover should have tan Wolverine and gray Hulk. Ghost Rider should be in 90’s and 2010’s.

I remember being happy when Wolvie got back in the blue & yellows back in the day but these days I find myself missing the hell out the tan suit. That and his X-Force greys were deffo his best.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, if it’s not full of normal every day scenes of terrifying Ghost Riderspider taking selfies and high fiving randos on the street it’s NOT MY PS4SPIDER-MAN

I dunno about this, I think I’d prefer to see things fleshed out in game, it made for nice reveals/surprises.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

bessantj posted:

Haven't Marvel done a "Heroes Reborn" series in the past?

Also, has Power Princess always been that close to Wonder Woman?

Woah. Till I scrolled down further and saw the black corset, I honestly thought it was a pic of Diana.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Something that only recently just occurred to me about Rogue that I've been wondering about: how much of her personality is really her now? Like, after she took too much from Carol and had her face turn, is it really still her or a hybrid/amalgamated personality?

I guess what I'm asking is if Rogue, in her natural state, if she hadn't absorbed Carol's powers and memories, would she still be a callous sack of poo poo or was the guilt genuinely hers and she would have always left the Brotherhood eventually?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Skwirl posted:

There's tons of stories where someone is an rear end, does something horrific and that sort of snaps them out of it and they start to seek redemption, without them absorbing anyone's memories. Hell, that's sorta what the song Amazing Grace is about.

That's the thing though, the absorbing memories and possibly personality traits muddies the waters somewhat that your bog standard examples wouldn't have. Certainly, Carol wasn't the first she did it to, just one she took more than she intended to. I just have this weird memory of Rogue's face in that Avengers annual(?) looking so gleeful and creepy as attacked someone and it got me wondering, though as howe_sam's post shows, the most recent examination of it seems to be inconclusive as it's written with neither of them really knowing for sure.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Skwirl posted:

He sorta did that with Ultimates (though that had a Civil War 2 tie-in)

And the tie-in gave us the eternally wonderful moment of America samshing Carol in the face with a steel chair over it.

:allears:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nessus posted:

It was like an Asgardian desert. They all ended up in Asgard for... reasons. At the end of it even Loki was like "Yeah I'm taking back all your good poo poo but you know what I'mma let Shan there stay "not five hundred pounds" because gently caress the Shadow King."

Didn't Loki have the hots for Storm or something? I think Amora teleported her to Asgard for him, except she was hanging out with the kids at the time so they got dragged alone for the ride.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Well goddamn. In a better universe than this, Jack Kirby didn't become a comic book artist, he became a full time, highly prolific fashion designer and everyone looks *amazing* for decades to follow.

The Sooth Sayer looks like he's on good terms with the Ancient Spirits of Evil, mind.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

X-O posted:

I mean, it's 'Top Secret' and look at the edge of the letters. Pretty obvious if you ask me.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1432744672879943682

Begins with L, ends with E...

..it's clearly a reverse Gwenpool situation we're dealing with here: Lunella Lafayette has used her tremendous intellect to actually devise a way to travel into the real world and write a comic based on her adventures.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Despite knowing bugger all about the Eternals until this series, I really liked the opener to the new arc with an increasingly affronted Ajak getting mad at the Avengers over their new choice of hang out, plus the flashback fight one million years earlier. Gillen Gillens while Kei Zama has a blast on art.

Good stuff.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The Question IRL posted:

Speaking of Wolverine, I saw this story on Bleeding Cool news.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/john-byrne-creates-wolverine-origin-comic-as-he-would-have-told-it/

Basically John Byrne us releasing his own X-Men fan fiction, and he is doing his own version of Wolverine and his origins. It's certainly.....different.

One thing I actually did like about those panels was Logan's healing factor in its slower, OG version, was never a fan of the way it became almost supercharged in later years and trivialised almost any injury. The first time I saw it in action was after Scalphunter went full auto on him and the next issue opened with him lying on the ground wrecked and waiting helplessly while everything knit back together. Nowadays, he'd probably just shrug it off and keep fighting without missing a beat.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"Armando Iannucci is doing a Spider-Man story' is not something I was expecting to hear today, or any day really.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I don't know how anyone could be surprised Ultraman died on its arse. All these years and I've never known anyone who ever gave a single solitary poo poo about it till Gripweed's febrile postings, even among weeb friends.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lobok posted:

What era are we talking about here? He pretended Iron Man had died in order to make him a scapegoat after the death of Titanium Man in the late 80s.

Was it even T-Man's death? He broke into the Vault to disable the Guardsmen's armour which allowed some inmates to escape, and attacked other good guys (Steve, Stingray) because of his "MY TECHNOLOGY" meltdown, hence the US Government nuking him. I doubt they'd have given a toss about a Soviet scientist accidentally getting killed.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I see Norrin has *not* been skipping leg day.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My fav thing about Inferno is the long awaited showdown between X-Factor and the X-Men, with the demonic atmosphere making the X-Men act kinda psychotic. All hell's breaking loose but while the boys are fighting, Ororo sweeps Jean up into the air, asks if it's really her and they just have a nice big hug at long last, awwwwww.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Synthbuttrange posted:

gosh i really like spider-man except for his actual comics hahah

This is basically me but with most characters these days.

BrianWilly posted:

Guys I have a feeling Zeb Wells really liked the OG Inferno or something :hmmyes:

So he should, more stories should have post boxes eating people and techno-organic demons causing mischief while folks dress like the Lord Humungous Fan Club because [reasons].

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Full body condom Cyke 4 life.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Somehow I completely missed It’s Jeff! and so spent the weekend catching up on the adorable adventures of everyone’s favourite land shark. Every panel of exasperated Jeff Mom Kate was an utter delight.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nilbop posted:

Magik fits the modern interpretation of morally grey, in so much that she's just evil, but she's hot so everyone goes with it.

I have never liked Magik, even a little bit.

M-m-mods? MODDDDDDDDDDS!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
He saw this:

and it left him shook but also knew people would take him even less seriously in a wig, hence the funky big sci-fi helmet.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
What in the actual ever living gently caress?

That's like the big, long hyped death of someone in the X-Men books turning out to be Patsy on vacation or something. Or killing off Longshot at the end of a long Thor saga.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
When this bullshit is invariably fixed 5 minutes later because Cyclops hears about it and immediately calls in all his favours to bump them to the front of the queue because Pals 4 Life, I do hope they don't use it to give her the lame MCU cosmic sparkly bullshit powerset instead of the embiggening coolness we all know and love.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gripweed posted:

I've never seen people so happy about the death of two children

Hahahahahaha, Jesus Christ. That’s…something all right.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Kinda curious as to why MJ would get an invite. Like purely in official terms, isn't she just a regular joe and totally nothing to do with Spider-Man, uh-uh, no sir, or the superhero community in general as far as anyone knows? And it's not like she's an A-lister celeb or anything.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
RIP that Predator I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Not digging the black midsection, would prefer it was just blue.

Plus Binary remains Carol’s greatest look.

:colbert: