Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Does Gwenpool's power set extend to being able to travel in and out of the Marvel Universe at will? I don't really remember the whole deal with her future self at the end of the run. It'd be neat they could keep her going with limited runs and stuff. She's approaching "so powerful it's hard to convincingly write around" levels, but so are at least 10 other heroes so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah, literally my only criticism of X-23 #1 is she's reverted back to that codename and the explanation was not given in this issue. As a continuation of ANW this really should have been addressed in the first issue.
I'll also be mad if Gabby doesn't get a goddamn birthday cake by the end of this arc.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

X-O posted:

OK, I want to see those episodes.

Spider-Man teams up with The Vulture to fight The Vulture. Captain Holt disapproves of Spider-Man until he helps catch Wuntsch in a corruption scandal. Everyone in the precinct has had a "the time I met Spider-Man" moment except for Jake, who puts himself in increasingly dangerous situations until he is finally saved from certain death... by Daredevil.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
UGH why do I have to work for so many more hours. I just wanna read the new issue of Honey Badger and her Sister.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

howe_sam posted:

The solicit for X-23 #6, yes, that, I want that.

Haha holy poo poo yes. This better be goofy as hell.

Also: gently caress an $8 comic kicking off a weekly series. I wonder if it's at least gonna be a double-length issue as opposed to one of those horseshit ones that's a regular length issue plus four lovely backups nobody cares about.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Metalshark posted:

*Drawing all these covers, I mean, goddamn.

Haha, this has been my desktop wallpaper ever since I got my new laptop.
I'm so glad X-23's starting so strong after how good ANW was. I had a serious "oh my god are you kidding how am I supposed to wait a month to continue this" reaction to the end of the last issue.

e: Also speaking of rad art the cover of the next issue is making me wonder just how much original comic cover art would cost.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 31, 2018

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Late to the party but I just read Spider-Geddon #1 and loved it. Look, I'm a simple man. All I want out of my comics is to get a few real good chuckles and maybe some "I see what you did there" moments, and this gave me both. I'd be thrilled for our pal MacKay to get an ongoing ASAP. I'd read it no matter what it was, even the Inhumans! Even... even if it was with DC? Yeah, I guess. Even if it was with DC!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'd follow a "new second Marvel Universe" book if they did something like (to use Earth 65 as an example but I'd have no problem with them starting one from the ground up; using 65 would probably give them a bigger initial readership though) 5 issues following Wolverine & Shadowcat (or whatever that dynamic was, I don't remember), then 5 issues following Captain America, then 5 issues following whatever passes for the X-Men there, etc etc instead of running a bunch of books at the same time. They could interlink the stories together Pulp Fiction style where everything is related to Matt Murdock/Kingpin but they're not so heavily connected that new readers would feel like they couldn't start the book without buying and reading the first 10 issues or feel like they needed to read Spider-Gwen before starting, cause that type of stuff I feel is less likely to make someone track down a bunch of old issues/trades and more likely to make the average person just not start reading.
Or it'd be a cool thing to push to their double-sized digital-only thing they're doing with Jessica Jones.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

cant cook creole bream posted:

She'll just have to hang out with Spider-man then.

I'm trying to think of a character that wouldn't be improved by teaming up with Gabby and I'm coming up empty.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

cant cook creole bream posted:

I didn't really care for that book, but the last page of Weapon Hex was a nice surprise too.

OneTwo-shot comics don't make for enough breathing room, really, but the last page did get me pumped for the next issue. Also, I didn't realize how much I needed a cross between Magik/Sabretooth/Kimura in my life.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Wanderer posted:

That lets him crack into whatever's below the Quarry of Creation, which puts him face to face with a bunch of heretofore-unseen Celestials.
I am so glad I'm not reading this. I could not possibly give less of a poo poo about the Grand Cosmic Unknowable stuff in the MU.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To add to this, he stops a galactic conflict over the power stone by channeling its power through his sax and he plays so hard he wins.
I'd like to strike my previous statement from the record.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Artelier posted:

Oh man. Okay, yeah. this sounds like a pass, thanks.

Ms. Marvel's been my favourite overall for a few years but outside her book she's not been that great so I was hoping this one at least gave her some time to shine but I guess not. :(

Seriously I think they need to have every possible writer write a Kamala one-shot, as a way of figuring out who else "gets" her.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

The Question IRL posted:

But when he messed about with Gamma Radiation he opened a Pandora's box he will never be able to close.
I really like this focus on Banner/Hulk being unable to truly die and how that's the real horror of the thing. Personally I don't care whether Banner's a Comic Book Genius or just a regular Joe who'd rather not spend half his time as a monster. I also think he's infinitely more interesting when he's not being "the Avengers' heavy". I've not read much solo Hulk- have they done a "The Hulk at the End of Everything" sort of story like Aaron's doing with Thor and Wolverine? I guess he was in the newest Thanos story for a bit. Also a timeline of Hulk that breaks down his personality would be nice, given how much he fluctuates from "stupid and just wants to be alone" to "smart and wants to be a hero" to "smart and savagely violent" etc. run by run.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

site posted:

I don't care about Conan but I'll read this for the uhh tugs collar for the articles

That lady looks like she showed up to make Maika Halfwolf's life miserable so I'm gonna guess this is a Takeda cover? Love her work, even if this looks like something I'd need to be wearing a trenchcoat to purchase.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Sad to hear Wilson's run is coming to an end. Ms Marvel always seemed like one of those characters who wasn't near as good written by anyone else. But to be fair I was worried about Wolverine and Gabby changing hands and that turned out really well. Has Ahmed written anything particularly recommend-worthy? I really hated what I read of Exiles and dropped it after about 4 or 5 issues.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Man Without Fear #1 was fuckin rad and I cannot wait for #2.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nilbop posted:

I'm aware of that. I don't think it's a lot to ask to not have fans from those areas represented by offensive stereotypes or ludicrously lame and outdated notions.

In a recent issue of Avengers T'Challa has called together what he calls "the greatest heroes the world has to offer" to Avengers HQ and it's a veritable who's that of 1950s stereotypes. We had Sunfire (Land-of-the-Rising-Sun-based fire hero who's uniform was the flag of the Imperial Japanese Navy), Ursa Major (alcoholic bear-man from Russia), Shaman (Canadian First Nations with a "magic medicine bag"), Arabian Knight (who has a magic carpet and scimitar), Sabra, the Collective Man (a Chinese hive-mind?) and of course, Captain Britain. That's pretty disheartening for a non-American fan to see being touted as "the greatest heroes the world has to offer", and more than a little embarassing.

Haha, I just read that issue. To be fair, Russia sent the bear as a gently caress You to T'Challa. But yeah, the rest of that scene was pretty dire. Nice table of D-and-F-Listers you've rounded up to try and show T'Challa is thinking on a global scale when all it really does is emphasize "Go to America or be a nobody". Canada has one of the most-recognizable superheroes of all time but he only ever goes back home when he's feeling broody or there are Wendigo Problems. And is there even such a thing as a First Nations super whose powers aren't mystical in any respect? Even the brand new girl Snowguard's powered by some Inuit deity or something.

But I dunno, what percent of Marvel's books are being purchased in the states? 95? 99? I find it hard to fault them for setting the hub of their shared universe in their own country of origin, and really, city. I bet 3/4 of the Marvel canon takes place in NYC.

quote:

She's pretty obviously doing all of the above. Kamala's Pakistani heritage is one of the more interesting beats of the character because it's done well. It's not Irish superhero Shamrock, who was the daughter of an IRA man, whose power was "the Luck of the Irish" and who suffered from alcholism.
God, I swear Kamala is a masterclass on how to do Immigrant Superhero (or Superhero who is the child of immigrants, I struggled on how to word that) properly. I feel like any other creator would have her stodgy older brother turn into a terrorist-sympathizer or some poo poo, and her power would have something to do with the moon or her proximity to Mecca.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Edge & Christian posted:

I guess it depends a lot on what you consider 'mystical in some respect', Dani Moonstar/Mirage's powers are kind of borderline and she's definitely mystical in that she has a connection to the Valkyries. Both Proudstar brothers (Thunderbird and Warpath) don't have great codenames but their powers are pretty much 100% "big and strong and tough". Wyatt Wingfoot is just an athletic dude, though there's some level of mysticism wrapped up around his family/tribe. Forge had the whole Adversary storyline that got pretty mystical under Claremont but is generally just a Real Smart Sometimes Real Crazy dude. Comanche is black, but also not mystical.

There's no excuse for me forgetting about Warpath and Forge, except I guess that Forge really isn't used much these days.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nilbop posted:

So I’m thinking of getting into Uncanny X-Men ... Is this a good jumping in point?

Jesus, no.

Current UXM is a "almost all the mutants are dead, oh no!" scenario while a pretty good "meaningless alternate reality" story plays out in the Age of X-Man books. I'm assuming the next Status Quo is going to kick-in in a few months when AoX is done. Could be good. Probably won't be, unless the writer's someone who hasn't been on X-Men in a while/someone new entirely.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Honestly I never knew Sue could turn things invisible other than herself. Admittedly I don't read any FF. How long has that been a thing? Based on the last couple posts I'd guess for decades, and it just doesn't come up often?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's not solicited for June! :ohdear:

WHAT.

I am not prepared to try and live without Laura and Gabby in my life.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
As a Sony exec I have to ask- does Black Cat have to have Black Cat in it? Also I'd love if we could work in a SoundCloud rapper into the plot, to hook the kids.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Aphrodite posted:

He confirms, as most of us expected, that he's writing the flagship X-Men book that comes out of it.

Oh. Good.
But I made a lot of promises to a lot of various devils for this that I'm just plain not able to fulfill.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
On this note I very much enjoyed the recent Spider-Man/Kamala body-swap comic that acknowledged the obvious issue of the casual/overt racism/Islamophobia Kamala would obviously endure and how lovely it is without the issue being presented TOO heavily. It also mentioned *gasp* periods without being too weird about it and entirely sidestepped the bathroom issue which I thought on one hand was a missed opportunity for jokes but on the other hand it's an all-ages book and they're obviously doing their gosh-darnedest to not sexualize Kamala.
Also the thing Spider-Man was most excited about being that his joints don't hurt anymore was funny, especially now that I'm slipping into my "gently caress, my neck and lower back hurt for literally no reason" years.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Pretty much all I see on Reddit about Black Cat is that people wish the interiors looked more like the covers. Which I'm assuming means they want to see more cleavage. If you want interior art that looks as good as the cover art, read Monstress and deal with frequent 6-month waiting periods between arcs.
I am absolutely loving BC so far, and I'm not just blowing smoke, but there's no way I'd have even given it a chance if not for MacKay at the helm. I don't even read Spider-man, let alone books about his villains. Love the flashbacks, too. If you did an arc that was all "secret origin" poo poo I'd approve.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Not doing anywhere near the numbers of the first couple issues, but I'm lead to believe it's doing okay. I wish it was getting out there a little more, but I'm not worried about it getting cancelled for a little while yet at least!

My LCS is under new management and they took down the front door's "Marvel Sold Here" poster with Wolverine on it that had probably been there since the mid 90s and now there is one with Black Cat on it. I was pleased as punch to see that!

Also re: Avengers talk, is the current series any good? I lost interest like... 8 or 9 issues ago but I'm not averse to catching up if it's worth it. Same with Doctor Strange.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I mean, he is building a mindess doomsday cult that worships black goo so it's not far off.

drat!

Also I just caught up with the last 3 months of Daredevil and holy poo poo who'd have imagined that goofy-rear end Chip Zdarsky would be this goddamn good at writing dark? Like it takes chops to write Kingpin as being actually believably scared and I think he really pulled it off.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Archyduchess posted:

That being said, both Wilson and Ahmed have had some kind of curse on Ms. Marvel where they can write a perfectly delightful Kamala but all of her non-civilian supporting cast and villains are cardboard.

Unfortunate agree. I think the aim is to have readers of her solo title not feel like she's too entwined in the shared universe and that they're missing out if they don't buy a bunch of other books and therefore why even read this one, but I'd like to see some more established villains in her main book. I mean they can be mook-tier like Shocker if the goal is to not have it always be "Kamala is fighting Juggernaut for some reason so Iron Man has to come bail her out just to show how powerful Juggernaut is". I'd love it if she consistently went up against like Boomerang, people who can be serious enough threats but also keep the story lighthearted 'cause at the end of the day it's still Boomerang. Where the hell is Paste Pot Pete these days?

Also, Amulet? Ugh. Why do so many of Marvel's young-and-progressive-and-new set have the most generic-rear end names possible? It basically ensures they'll never really be A Thing. Wave, Aero, etc. The Inuk girl is Snowguard, right? That's alright. More like that, less nouns that can't be copyrighted. Course, running down the names of my favourite heroes, esp. mutants, maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end here. Especially thinking about how his powers could evolve to function like creatively-named mutant Armor except less cringy.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I loved how happy Danny was to have a fight with somebody fun. Would have liked for him to have called her a Spider-Man villain, though, that woulda been great. This is a book I actually get excited for the next issue of, too, instead of just keeping up with it. Just seeing the preview of next month's cover made me grin.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
How much would I even have to pay to get the page with Dr. Bong tying his shoe. Nope, forget it, don't even tell me. But it's still one of my all-time favourite absurd comics moments.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I stopped reading Iron Man when Slott (?) took it over and I stopped reading Avengers when I realized it was my least looking-forward-to book. But I did just read Rescue 2020 because it's Rescue and why not. Anyone want to enlighten me on this "Tony Stark is dead and the Stark you thought you knew was an AI" thing? Since when? Since the time he came back all hairless in I wanna say Ironheart? Or from even before that?
Quite liked Rescue BTW.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Reading Black Cat right now. Was that a TNG reference? Of course Stark would say that.
edit: lmao and that ending. I mean it was telegraphed pretty strongly but it still made me smile.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 12, 2020

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

site posted:

The whole infinity gems are sentient now really disappeared fast. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets entirely jettisoned in the run up for next year's infinity event

I... didn't even know this was a thing. I stopped following Avengers and GotG; I assume it was a thing in one of those?

Also how many times are they gonna keep going back to the goddamn well of the Infinity Gems. I could not be less interested in those fuckin' rocks anymore. No, wait, Peak Disinterest would be if they gave the Infinity Gems to Knull.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I don't think I've read a single book featuring Knull and I aim to keep it that way.
I'm super behind in Thor, though. He doesn't show up in Thor, does he? I keep meaning to drop Thor but keep forgetting to.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Gaz-L posted:

Hard disagree, I really loved that run. Maybe it's because I dislike the 'make Jen in Hulk form just like the Big Guy/Savage Hulk' approach, but I was very prepared to dislike Tamaki's run for that reason, and then it tied into the whole gamma powers as a writ-large means of externalising mental health stuff by having it be her response to trauma and giving her her own grey Hulk form. And there was a good dose of the humour that a good She-Hulk title should have, with a whole plot about baking YouTubers and an issue where they went back to the Jen-breaks-the-fourth-wall conceit for a blind date.

Hard agree with your disagree, it had some fantastic moments. Made me really like a character I'd never paid much attention to before. Wouldn't have even thought about looking at it if not for the creative team.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Ms. Marvel's adventures continue in... Champions #5? What? I'm not reading Champions! Every time I give it a chance I end up hating it!
Man, I thought Ms. Marvel was cancel-proof, especially right now. What the hell.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rhyno posted:

You can't prove that it wasn't the other way around.

I laughed stupid hard at this.

Also I don't know gently caress all about gangtags and whatnot, but how in the hell do I get that Roman garrison soldier sketch with the SPQR staff as one of those double-high two-part avatars?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Did Donald Trump (explicitly or thinly-veiled ie Reagan) ever show up as President in any Marvel comic? Or did they have an informal "nah gently caress that guy we're not even acknowledging this" policy? My knowledge of comics before the mid 00s is pretty poor so I don't even know if real politicians are usually acknowledged or not.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I actually loved the end of Devil's Reign. Really makes me wish some of those scenes (all of Kingpin's scenes) were being filmed with D'Onofrio bellowing out those lines. And why shouldn't he be able to squeeze out a little win in the middle of such a fall from grace. If he went to jail he'd only be back next month with some "haha when you're this rich they can't keep you locked up" bullshit. And giving up a chance for something greater, in spectacular fashion, because he refuses to bow down to anyone, well that was just gold. Really tickled the part of my brain that wants to kill all the billionaires.
Plus I'm super excited to see where Chip goes with this new status quo for Matt. Hopefully it doesn't get reversed too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm a big fan of the Krakoa status quo in general, but if I don't get another Laura and Gabby and Jonathan book soon, gently caress I'll even accept a mini at this point, I'm gonna scream.

Also the Children of the Vault are coming back, and I really hope someone picked up on the idea that Laura didn't actually die in the vault and has been in there this whole time. I can't remember if it was here or on reddit I first saw that idea brought up, but I like it. Pretty sure we still haven't dealt with the idea of what happens when someone gets resurrected without proof of death, and then they show up alive, but it could be a cool story.