Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I got one omnibus and though I love it, that's enough for me. I really like the Epic Collections, I've got a bunch recently and I feel like they collect a really satisfying number of issues in there.

I still find it absurd that Morbius got an Epic Collection before Blade though, even counting the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gripweed posted:

God Amber was so loving cool. They keep digging up these old fantasy novels to make TV show but they never make an Amber show! A bunch of it takes place on Earth, it would be cheap to do!

I think they're trying to, though I think I heard GRRM was involved in this latest attempt so I wouldn't like, put money on it.

I don't think I'm fond of Zelazny, I wasn't able to get into Amber and I hated Jack of Shadows.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Lord of Light is really good, and just a single book with a beginning, middle and end.

Every time I see it in a store I hem and haw about picking it up given my previous Zelazny experiences, but it is one that I do kinda want to check out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I mean, that's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking forwards to when Marvel got Aliens and Predators. But then again, it was a Predator crossover that got me into comics in the first place, so I definitely have a soft spot for this kind of stuff.

I kinda have a soft spot for the Inhumans (thanks to getting Essential Hulk volume 2 when I was a kid, which had a story where he ends up in Attilan), I'm not super enthused about the idea of the highest profile Inhuman getting turned into a Mutant for brand synergy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, but they're both the product of a mutant's X-gene. I'm thinking powers from two different sources.

Wolverine before the bone claws retcon, I suppose? Regeneration was the mutation but the claws were military science.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I kinda think they could just retcon that Mutants and Inhumans are somewhat closely related (the Kree hosed around with latent X-Genes to create them or whatever, I dunno) and have the bigger difference be that the Inhumans have basically already had their own Krakoa for millennia, with the unique culture that developed in relative isolation. I wouldn't mind an X-Men team that had a couple Inhumans on it. I dunno, it feels like with all the naturally powered people that Mutants should be banding together with them as well to provide a more unified front.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I feel like "Peter Parker, the guy whose heroic alter ego fucks things up for him almost every time" starts losing ground to "Peter Parker, the guy who poo poo just never goes right for inside or out of costume" is a post-Clone Saga thing. I wanna say it might be an after-effect of Civil War? Going public with his ID and becoming a professional superhero only to realize he's part of an authoritarian police state, to say nothing of the Aunt May and Mephisto and marriage poo poo that directly spun out of that, kind of takes it from "Spider-Man always gets in the way of Peter's happiness" to "Peter can't be happy"

I was wondering when it really took hold, because when Parker Luck is first mentioned way back in the '60s, it had this element of his life having three pillars: Peter's personal life, his professional life, and his superheroic life. And by the end of a story, he'd have two of the three things going well so, yeah he beat the villain and got his rent paid, but he had to stand up a friend or girlfriend and now they're upset at him; or he's patched things up and paid for Aunt May's meds, but oops, Vulture's escaped and Jameson won't stop crowing about how Spider-Man hosed up. Things didn't go perfectly for him, but it also didn't feel like he was crushed under the weight of all his failures.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, I have to agree here. The front of that jacket looks overly fancy. Like a military parade uniform from two centuries ago.

I think that's why I like it, but I also like Superman's Age of Wonder outfit. I think I like fancy clasps and whatever that tassel hanging off her jacket is.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I hope this movie convinces them to do some 2099 Epic Collections, I always liked Spider-Man 2099 and would definitely pick up some of the others.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Ravage 2099 omnibus when?

In two thousand years archeologists will uncover a warehouse packed full of Ravage 2099 omnibuses and figure that he was the most popular hero figure of the pre-cataclysm world.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Holy poo poo, that outfit looks loving awful.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok, I'll gladly admit that's an interesting (in a good way) choice for writer.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I actually really like Reign(even if it really needed to dial back the edginess a solid 35% or so and does a couple other things that irk me a little*) but I'm not sure there's really much you can do with a sequel at least without having to do a bunch of retcons or something

*most of which has to do with how Reign does basically no explaining at all regarding how the world ended up the way it is, particularly regarding anyone outside of the Spider-Man segment(compared to say most of the other dystopian/apocalyptic Marvel futures)

I like Reign, but mostly because it's very much not good and wraps around to being amazing (spectacular, even). Also agree, no idea how you'd do a sequel.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The lovely website I go to for comic news keeps on calling Spider-Boy a popular new character and I, admittedly not closely following what's going on, have not heard anybody with anything good to say about him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, apparently there's gonna be a few Disney 100th Anniversary variant covers. They look ok, but I'm not sure why they're specifically on Spider-Man issues since none of them are Spider-Man.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Covok posted:

For most games, that wouldn't matter. Most superheroe games are made with the idea of powers coming from a myraid of sources. I say most because, despite producing four banger good tabletop roleplaying games in the past (including one I loved so much that I'm the one who made the retroclone for it so people can play it despite it being out of print), the latest Marvel game, Marvel Multiverse, is a huge dumpster fire that doesn't account for this at all in a baffling way.

Oh, really? That's super cool, which Marvel RPG are you talking? The TSR one with the colourful tables?

I hadn't heard much about the new RPG, it's a shame it's apparently not good at all. I have a fond memory of being at summer camp and someone trying to get people into the 2003 version, but I don't think it ever got off the ground.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Covok posted:

No, actually, I never played Marvel Superheroes. There are some really cool retroclones for it. There is FASERIP, Astonishing Superheroes, Mighty Superheroes, BASH, and a new game being made by the Astonishing and Mighty superhero creators working together to update Marvel Superheroes to a new era. For the uninitiated, retroclones are copies of old games made to keep out-of-print games in circulation by preserving the rules text. Licensed games end up being common targets since, once the license runs out, those games tend to vanish completely. However, some retroclones are updated. FASERIP is a straight retroclone, where as all the others I listed try to update the game with ideas and concepts that came afterwards or that the author things could improve the original. They're all pretty affordable and, if you want to try out MSH, they're your best bet, outside of piracy.

No, the game I loved was Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.

This one using the Cortex Plus engine that was also featured in the Firefly Roleplaying Game, Smallville roleplaying game, and Leverage roleplaying game. What I liked about it alot was the fact that it runs on comic book logic. It doesn't waste time trying to model or explain superpowers as physics, but just has all the rules flow in such a way to reinforce the logic and formatt of a comic book. It's hard to explain, but it's one of the few books where Superman and Batman can be on the same time, not outshine one another, and still feel distinct from one another.

I made some stuff for the only still existing fan site for it as a contributor: https://marvelplotpoints.com/

I made the conversion to cortex prime as a retroclone: https://marvelplotpoints.com/2020/11/24/marvel-heroic-to-cortex-prime-conversion/

And I made an adventure based on venomverse: https://marvelplotpoints.com/2021/01/07/welcome-to-the-venomverse/

Oh, awesome! I was aware of FASERIP, but I didn't know there were others for MSH. I completely missed Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, I only started dipping my toes back into TTRPGs a few years ago, but it seems unfortunate that it got screwed over.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Well, I'm excited. I need to pick up the Wolverine vs. Predator trade, last time I popped into my comic store they had it, but it was Tuesday so it wasn't on sale yet.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

There's a surprising amount of comic based novels; one of the X-Men/Star Trek crossovers was a novel, in between two comic series. I wouldn't mind hearing more about them, honestly, it seems like the books are a consistently overlooked bit of superhero media.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

So it seems like Blade isn't really the bad guy in Blood Hunt and looks more like he's possessed or something.

How Shadowland of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

He looks like a rejected Skeleton Warriors character. "Ooh, sorry, maybe in the second wave of toys."