Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I do not speak Filipino but it looks like "Ari" is a common word that means "property/goods/resources/strength" and also is slang for genitals, which is maybe a bad choice for a name but comics have also survived having lots of characters named Dick, Rod, Willie, Johnson, Shaft, Stick, Box, Fanny, etc.

Does anyone in the thread know if Ari is also a common name? It would be strange if I saw a character named "Poder Ramirez" marketed as a Latinx hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Wasn't a lot of Civil War a thinly veiled allegory for the Bush administration's attack on civil rights after 9/11?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Cloks posted:

Ewing's Defenders continues to be completely insane and incredibly dense. The newest issue featured a great visual of Warlock/Galactus combined. Can't wait to see how it ends.

Didn't Thor kill Galactus and bring his helmet to Asgard a year ago? Is his story connected to the main continuity at all? King in Black wasn't mentioned in the main book while Thor was a major character in the event

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The interview makes it sound like he was the one who wanted to move to Act 2 and create new things while the rest of the writers/artists and Marvel editorial were happy to keep working in Act 1.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Are the X-books tied together very much?
Immortal X-Men looks like it's going to be good, but do i have to subscribe to all of the books to understand what's going on?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I just finished Death of Dr. Strange and I'm very disappointed in the lack of Bats in the climax.

Do better Vulpes!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
What do people think about the new Marauders writing/drawing team?

I loved the Duggan run, can the new people keep it up?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I generally agree, but there are so loving many X titles coming out most people don't have the time and money to sample every one in addition to whatever other books they're already reading.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
My subscription to Death of Dr Strange automatically turned into a subscription for Strange w/ Clea so that was great.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Has anyone read Gillen's Immortal X-men?

The reviews look great.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Skwirl posted:

In the Greek myths she was the mother of the titans and also literally the ground we stand on every day.

Myths are weird.

Religion is weird. I'm Catholic and we believe God is 2 different guys in the sky and an invisible omnipresent force all at the same time.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Thor's mother in real world mythology is Jord, the jotunn-goddess personification of the earth. She is essentially the equivalent of the Greek Gaea, even if she doesn't play nearly as big a role in things and isn't quite the progenitor of absolutely every single thing like Gaea is. As Wanderer mentioned, she's been conflated entirely with Gaea in Marvel mythology for a while now, though even the Greek Gaea is also technically just the aspect of the Mother Earth "Elder God" that people know best.

That's exactly how she introduced herself in Thor #301

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Spider-Man is hooking up with Emma Frost?

When you've had the Black Cat, the White Queen is the obvious next step.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I do. I get why people are mad that Peter and MJ are not together after building up to that for the last 100 issues, but this is extremely more interesting.

Peter's a bum, MJ is better off (and should get her solo title back).

Felicia Hardy deserves to get some Spider-dick while they're split up.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

These are the married couples I can think of that exist right now:

Ben Grimm and Alicia Masters
Hulkling and Wiccan
Reed and Sue
Scott and Jean
Black Bolt and Medusa
Northstar and Kyle
Luke Cage and Jessica Jones
Rogue and Gambit
Jamie Madrox and Layla Miller
Brian Braddock and Meggan
Dr. Strange and Clea (even though he's dead)

Mystique and Destiny are back, for better or worse.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I really liked Walt Simonson's short Beta Ray Bill story in the huge Thor 750 issue.

They should bring him back to replace Cates for another long run.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Jiro posted:

King of kings, the Cerebral Assassin, Stacker of 2s, The Creator, The Destroyer, The Connecticut Blueblood, :words: .........

She's from Deerfield, Illinois, which is why she was always my favorite. :colbert:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Isn't Iron Man Marvel's Batman?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Comics in real time can be awkward because a 12-issue arc can cover just a few days in-universe, while another issue can visit the characters months apart.

The last 4 Iron Man issues covered less than 3 days in Tony's life but took about 6 months to do it. I think the entire Cantwell run starting in 2020 to now only covers a few weeks. Does the next arc have to jump forward 2 years to catch up?

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 7, 2022

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

Gerry Duggan has a soft spot for ol' DP, would be nice to see more of him.

He's the main character in this months Wolverine.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is Miracle Man appearing anywhere but variant covers?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

There can be two Spider-Mans. It's fine.

But they should be telling the teenager storylines with Miles and the adult stuff with Peter, complete with Peter having a family.

There are at least 2 Wolverines (3 if you count Jonathan) and Marvel makes it work.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Daredevil has great runs because every new writer doesn't feel the need to change the status quo, they just tell great stories.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It was a bit about Bendis liking them, yeah, but in interviews he and his editors were always talking in terms of, essentially, IPs. Like, early on he'd say things like "Look at DC. They take their most popular characters and put them in the JLA, right? So people buy that book. Now look at the Avengers. Who are Marvel's most popular characters? Spider-Man and Wolverine, right? And neither of those guys is an Avenger! Who the hell is picking up a book about the Black Knight and Sersi and Gilgamesh or whoever? Let's scrap basically the whole team and then put together a new Avengers team full of characters people like. And also Luke Cage, because he's who I like." He wasn't subtle about it! Dude was thinking in terms of IP as much as anything else, of raising the profiles of some characters and books.

They're doing exactly that with The New Fantastic 4 right now

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

He's friends with the X-Men!

It is always fun though when they have Spidey get serious about fights to the point people get scared of him and realize that he's holding back most of the time. And he beats the hell out of people and you also can tell that he could be one of the most dangerous people in the world.

Just like Wells's ASM #4

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Path is also a regular human bartender. Wolverine is a mutant and not a bartender

Wait for him to take the toothpick out of his mouth.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I feel like just because someone has switched from bad guy to good guy, at a certain point you still don't want them in your loving life at all. Even after just one flip flop, from good to bad to good, "I don't want to deal with you after what you did while you were bad even if you are now good" is a perfectly fine position. And with someone like Osborn, who has gone back and forth multiple times, it's basically the only reasonable position.

Peter is the kind of person who always gives bad people the benefit of the doubt. And he never does the reasonable thing.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Noob Saibot posted:

Who the hell wants to forget the 90?

That’s when Western Civilization comics reached their zenith

Ftfy

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Does Jesus exist in the Marvel Universe? I know churches and priests do, but I think they stay away from Jesus to avoid offending people.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I will definitely read any Ultraman that's good enough for Gripweed, because they're so passionate about the character.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
He just finished up, Kurt Busiek is taking over the next issue

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

If Ms. Marvel can't have her own book, it's neat she's in Spidey's at least.

She's getting one. https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/104561/dark_web_ms_marvel_2022_1

It's a limited run but I hope that means they have more planned.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 15, 2022

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Hickman may have planned his comeuppance as part of Krakoa Phase 2 and it could have gotten delayed when Marvel let creators mess around with the current status quo

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
IIRC, there was supposed to be an addiction subplot in Iron Man 3 but after RDJ read the scripts it was too difficult for him to deal with, given his past addiction issues and they scrapped it.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

It only now occurs to me that I just assumed that Tony dating Hellcat and getting all cosmic was part of the same run that did all that boring poo poo with Arno and tweaked his origin unnecessarily. Is the first book of Catnwell's run indicative of the overall quality, or is there some particularly hot arc that I should dip my toe in instead?

There are only 2 arcs in the run, a long one about Korvac and a really short one about weapons dealers in Hong Kong.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
There's a major change to the status quo of X-Force in the latest issue, but it got lost in the X-thread discussion of Sins of Sinister.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
According to my local store, Vulpes's Strange has been a huge seller. If he's able to drive sales for a less prestigious character like Clea, it makes sense for Marvel to see what he can do with the Avengers.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

howe_sam posted:

The explanation of What Reed Did in FF this week is why you hire Ryan North to write the comic. Excellent mad science.

They didn't wait for 19+ issues to explain it? Madness!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

No, that was him trying to hide his feelings about MJ when talking to Felicia, and Felicia called him out on it.

I enjoyed the Joe Kelly guest story so much more than the rest of this run (Tombstone excluded). I'm ditching my subscription until I hear things have changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It makes sense for Disney to move the Marvel toy and merchandise division to the same department as the Disney toys and merchandise. Does it own a book publisher? That would be a good home for the comics.

Perlmutter leaving is great regardless of the rest.