Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I would've liked more, but in the end I'm happier with it getting a good ending rather than getting run into the ground, or getting handed off to a lovely writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I liked the Inhumans too. I mean I'm not so dumb that I didn't recognize they were being pushed as the new mutants (not to be confused with the New Mutants :rimshot:), but their books were good and a lot of the new inhumans were genuinely good characters. This just reads like "Hey guys we heard a lot of people complain about the Inhuman push so how about we fix it by killing everyone. :)"

Pretty bold of Marvel to base a whole comic off of angry posts from X-Men fan forums circa 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are we far out from it enough yet that homages to the Howard Mackie run are a Spidey deep cut? :v:

Definitely since I have no idea what you're talking about

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Previously, on a very special issue of X-23...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoUaJFH252w

But with Jean Grey

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 12, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Greg Land and John Bryne.

Can't wait to see all the o faces Ock will have.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Never been a huge fan of Cyke, but frankly I'd be just fine if every casualty and other thing about the whole Inhuman v. X-Men debacle was rolled back so we can put that terribly stupid period of time behind us.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, she ain't gonna be called Spider-Woman in the main universe.

edit: And the Rising cartoon isn't being presented as an alternate world, is it? They're gonna have to give her a unique superhero name.

Hey, we can have 2 Hawkeyes and 2 Spider-Men, why not 2 Spider-Women?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

Did we have two concurrent Spider-Women, or was Jess just using her real name at the time?

Kinda sorta? I mean Gwen was Spider-Woman at the same time Jessica was Spider-Woman, they just lived on separate Earths.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Why is it weird? Marvel proper is clearly not equipped to do all ages books properly. Idw is.

Why though? Does IDW have all the good kids' writers locked into exclusivity contracts or does Marvel just see their brand as too grown up to be publishing stories for kids?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

He would have just said "two kinds of people" if he wasn't trying to get with the millennials and their gender issues or whatever the heck that was.
It wouldn't make sense anyway. There's fans of one character without the other?

But untill we hear any more specifics, I'm guessing the misgendering wasn't malicious.

Yeah it just sounds like a really poorly worded joke from an older dude who really shouldn't be trying to do a comedy routine at a press event.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I guess I missed the solicit, but I'm writing best Spider-Man, the Emissary of Hell, with comics' best boy Sheldon Vella in this book.

gently caress yes, inject that poo poo into my veins.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What are the two suit guys? Double Coulson figs?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I want Quire and Gwenpool snogging just for the gently caress of it and not because they're dating.

Gwen's smart enough to know that Quire just keeps showing up in stuff, so sticking around him is basically plot armor.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheLoser posted:

I'm getting back into things after about 5 years out of the game. I'm going through Marvel Infinite to catch up on some of the Now titles cicrca ~2013 I remember liking when I was forced to drop comics for a while. I particularly liked Hickman's Avengers, Hawkeye, Jason Aaron's Thor, and Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man.

What else has been happening in the last few years that's worth catching up on?

Aaron's Thor is still going. Buy everything he's written with Thor in the title (including Secret Wars: Thors).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

Didn't it already hit Asgard in the form of the Mangog?

That wasn't War of Realms related. That's from when Thor humiliated the Shi'ar gods and they said they were gonna unleash some sort of judgment/god-killer. They pretended like it was the Phoenix but after Thor got rid of it, the little referee god said something like "that wasn't the judgment..." ominously while Thor flew away.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really like Runaways as well but I feel like they wrote Julie Power out too fast. It's nice that they're going "back to basics" getting the gang together, but I would've liked to see some more cracks in Julie and Karolina's relationship before it ended because, to me at least, it feels like she kinda got shuffled off the board so that Karolina and Nico could have their big smooch and we could get that pesky non-Runaway out of the way of the romantic tension.

That said I look forward to every issue of the further adventures of Victor Mancha's head.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 30, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

For some reason, I can't get over the bit in the opening movie where he web-pulls two slices of toast over to himself for breakfast. He doesn't even butter them or anything. It's just two slices of plain toast with web fluid on them.

Little do you know that that was Spider-Man's patented butter flavor web fluid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I'm catching up on comics because I'm months behind but I've just gotta ask: Has Brian Bendis ever written a good conclusion to a book/run? Like I'm not too down on him like a lot of folks around these parts, but I just read the end to his Iron Man and ugh what a mess. I thought it was kinda cute when his recap pages were a character recapping things in-character but did anybody ask for a grand finale narrated entirely by AI Tony never shutting the gently caress up? And where some new bizarre super team is started out of the blue by goddamn Leonardo Da Vinci for reasons I guess? And where Tony just revives Rhodey's months old corpse like it ain't no thang, with zero explanation? All while AI Tony just teases all the dangling plot threads and basically says "who knows what weird stuff future writers may or may not do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Also the way Doom got rescarred was dumb as hell. Basically everything with Doom was dumb as hell after his series ended and he got reintegrated into IIM. I've never been the biggest Doom fan but man, even a Doom trying to be good and not kill people should not be getting punked by the Hood and a few other baddies. It's just... bad all around.

Which made me think about the finales of some of his other work and I can't think of one good conclusion. His Avengers run ended with a really awful Dark Avengers 2.0 story and then a "put the toys back in the toybox" story where Wasp comes back from the microverse because she never died. Ultimate Spider-Man ends with Miles pulling a bullshit new power out of his rear end to beat Doom before the incursion and his Uncanny X-Men just kinda... ends, with Cyclops in Washington saying how united all mutants are without really explaining how or why they are. I'll give him an asterisk on those last two since Secret Wars was happening and everything had to be coming to an end, but they're still not great. Spider-Man ended with Miles getting an infection and being laid up in a hospital (in an pretty obvious stand-in for Bendis' own MRSA brush with death) and while ultimately the end page with Miles at the movie is sweet, the way the story totally sweeps other running plots (like Miles' disenchantment with and possibly quitting superheroics) aside for basically an assortment of goodbyes from the whole cast is mediocre at best. That's just a few. I genuinely can't think of one time he's stuck the landing on a story.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 12, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

Haven't read Bendis's Iron Man but the DaVinci thing is from Hickman's SHIELD run that you really really should read

Oh I know where Da Vinci's from, but I don't like his use in IIM. (Hot take, but I didn't care for Hickman's SHIELD much at all). But even still, it didn't feel like the same character, it read like somebody writing a parody of "Bendis-speak" coming out of his mouth. And also everybody's way too chill about Leonardo Da-Goddamn-Vinci just showing up and later having power armor. Riri and Toni Ho are a little freaked for like a page and Tony's like "huh" when they mention it. I know that Marvel Earth is crazy but still, that should raise a few eyebrows

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

Yeah, you're right, I forgot Mettle (bring him back!) and Hazmat and a bunch of others I don't even remember. The "important" ones have been undone, like Nico and Darkhawk.

Hazmat didn't die. She did come back in the almost equally conceived sequel series where they had her show up just to explain that now she had her powers under control and so she lost her gimmick.

IIRC, Nico didn't die. Someone who did though is Juston Seyfert and his Sentinel who were the focus of the best storyline in Avengers Academy/the best AvX tie-in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I reeeeeeeally wanna know the behind the scenes on this

https://twitter.com/ChelseaCain/status/1040357745017253888?s=19

ASK ME ABOUT MY ROBOT AGENDA

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah King's series ends with Vision starting to rebuild his wife so I can definitely see where you could do a dark sequel comic

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's like someone at Marvel read the backlash to Batman 50 and thought "huh, so they like marriages huh?" and decided that everybody was getting hitched.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

616 spidey is gonna have to give this guy a stern talking to during spidergeddon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98UpAhyD3wc

Whatever, none of those are as bad as how you could web up an enemy in Spider-Man 2, take him to the top of the Empire State Building, then powerbomb him all the way down to the street

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you could just use Spider-Gwen as the springboard for a whole new universe (much like Ultimate Spider-Man did) by having books about her Cap, and immortal demon samurai Wolverine and all the other characters that book has showed or at least implied the existence of. Even if Latour hasn't done the greatest job on Gwen herself, the building blocks are all there.

edit: plus if you named a whole new line you could actually name Spider-Gwen's book Ultimate (or whatever adjective in place of Ultimate) Spider-Woman or something instead of something stupid like loving Ghost Spider.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 17, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

That's so strange because I'm sure I've read all of the Uncanny Avengers but I have no recollection of that. Time to reread!

It was a pretty short run. I think it came out like right before Secret Wars, iirc, so poo poo was wrapping up quick.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yowza. Well it's good to hear she's on the mend and is feeling well at least.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't get why they don't just make it an Elseworld-type story. Like sure, if it doesn't fit long-term plans, fine, whatever, but come on Marvel, don't pretend that you're not the company that literally publishes stories called "What If?"s. Slap a great big "NOT CANON" sticker on top if it's really too difficult for fans to grasp.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Web of?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Not as long as the Hobgoblin, but it took 8 months to reveal who the female Thor was.

Well it didn't help that there was a pretty early fake out where Thor asks Jane if it's her and she flat denies it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Actually isn't he hanging out in Wierdworld these days?

I thought he was still dead in that and just hanging out as a ghost but then it's been some time since I read Weirdworld...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well maybe if we try super hard we can just not be assholes?

Oh who am I kidding he'll be gone in a month

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think it's generally agreed upon that Superior Spidey was not the greatest in his actual book but every appearance he had guesting in another book was good.

My favorite Spider-Ock moment featured him teaming up with the (kid) X-Men

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 8, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

And the real Octavius was a Caesar.

:aaaaa:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Archyduke posted:

Lmao, why did he even bother creating her if she was going to be introduced, shuffled off to the sidelines, and then almost immediately blown up? Presumably nobody in editorial was clamoring for her death one way or the other.

Well she was both created and killed by Nick Spencer, and opinions on him are... awkward, to say the least, but presumably he had her death in mind from the moment she started.

However you could also apply that to like half of Hickman's Avengers lineup (hey guys remember Starbrand? Or Nightmask? Or what's-his-name the gold creation guy? They sure had... like one moment each)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 12, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

That's a slight updating of the time Stan Lee hung out with KISS and the members of KISS put their blood into a comic Marvel published starring them.

A proud Marvel tradition!

That's kind of a relief in a way, all I could think was it being a reference to that recent hosed up story about someone taking Stan Lee's blood to print comics in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fighting evil by moonlight
Kinda crazy by daylight...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like you could have cut one or two of those stories and given the other ones time to breathe and actually be scary. The Daredevil one and the FF one seem like they could be good if they weren't so rushed.

cant cook creole bream posted:

What's up with Cindy Moon?
I'd expect her to be in the front and center of this new Spider-event, but she hasn't shown up yet, right? Did she decide to opt out on this whole creepy Bride thing? Has she ever been mentioned since her series ended?

She showed up in Spider-Man/Deadpool a few months back working on some SHIELD team with Mockingbird? Oh and before that she showed up to help stop Amadeus Cho when his inner Hulk took him over. But she hasn't really had a major role in anything, just an extra hero in supporting cast roles.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 2, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

A shame the Spider-Gwen book was never really any good.

I think it was good up until the Spider-Women crossover then after that it kind of lost its way. It felt to me less like Latour had a real game plan for what to do after Gwen lost her powers and more like he just wanted to do the inevitable Venom story so stripping her of her powers was a means to an end.

Also, and this one is less on Latour, but letting her keep the multiverse watch after Spider-Verse was a big mistake. It introduced stuff like plot holes, and bad crossovers with Spider-Man, and weird plots that didn't really go anywhere... Of course I realize I'm a big hypocrite since even though I think it negatively affected her book, I read and enjoyed every issue of Spider-Exiles Web Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I don't know how you do that elegantly. Miles is a kid who also has spider powers, Spider-Gwen is a version of Spider-Man's dead girlfriend, also her living father is important to her and that's another death that's important to Spider-'Man

Yeah, moving Miles worked because (for better or for worse) his series hadn't been out for too long and because the Ultimate Universe was fairly similar to 616, so most of his supporting cast could make the jump too. Gwen's series also hasn't been out for long, but her world is way different than 616 and basically all of her supporting cast are people who, in 616, either already exist in pretty major roles so they can't just be replaced (like her bandmates) or are dead (like her dad).

I mean I'm sure they probably will move her to 616 anyway now that she's got a supporting role in a movie and a cartoon, but I just think there's no way to force that move that won't suck. But of course, an idea sucking has never stopped Marvel before!