Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

2099 is future proofing the thread since x-o never changes the title when the next year rolls around

So what's your long term plan? That's only a few decades! You doomed the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

site posted:

On the contrary im being extremely optimistic that human civilization will make it past 2020

Nonsense, that is an election year.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Memphis ist hell.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

site posted:

maybe mephisto wants revenge for them beating his rear end and rescuing gwens brother

That's plausible. He's known to hold a grudge or two.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Marvel Rising is so good! Everyone involved is such a dork. Except for America, I guess. She seems all business.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

That page actually explains how it's recently established that she actually is his sister.
But that's such a stupid comic book double retcon sentence:

quote:

During her adult life, the machinations of Kingpin and Mentallo made it seem like Teresa's belief that she was Richard and Mary Parker's daugther [sic] was the result of Mentallo's manipulations.[2]

But Teresa seems cool. At least in the Zdarsky run, I don't really read Bendis, so I don't even know if she showed up.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 9, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Metalshark posted:

OBJECTION! http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Janice_Lincoln_(Earth-616)

+ the others people have mentioned + are Landau, Luckman and Lake still a thing at all?

Technically the random bystanders in one of Jen's bigger law firms would count as well.

And Dr Doom probably has a law degree, because he can kinda do everything.
You just know that, if it ever came to that he'd insist to defending himself. And when that time comes, he needs those degrees to assure that he's better than everyone else.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 14, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Kelly Thompson might be one of the only writers who can make "the boss of space" look cool, so I'm excited to see her in that JJ book.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Kelly Thompson might be one of the only writers who can make "the boss of space" look cool, so I'm excited to see her in that JJ book.

I kinda stand corrected. While the JJ book is cool, the new Captain Marvel book is really incredibly good.
I guess that happens if you actually give her complex emotional flaws, wh8ch still seem really relateable.

I don't really know much about her backstory. Was her inconvenient childhood explored before?
It puts a lot of her characteristics in context. I guess you do often end up like your parents.

If this quality keeps up I'll end up liking her again. A-force and ultimates was cool, before everything collapsed.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 19, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Wanderer posted:

and there's an issue of Claremont's Uncanny X-Men that establishes that Carol's brother Steve died in the Vietnam War.

I guess that explains why he's not around.

He died in a war which ended a few decades ago.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 19, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I just realized that, there will already be the second issue of axe hyphen twenty-three this week.

I'm excited about that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 22, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Thompson’s Jessica Jones is really good, and putting it out quickly is awesome. She does write Jessica maybe a *bit* too much like she wrote Kate, but that’s a minor complaint. Looking forward to more.

The secret is that Jessica is actually very much like Kate in her goofy way. She's just a bit older ans the world decided to mess with her life quite a lot, so she thinks she has to be a grumpy alcoholic.

My interpretation ist that Jessica sort of sees the similarities, which is why she can be a bit annoyed by Kate. But Kate sees her als one of her biggest heros and wants so much to be like her. :3:

Come to think of it, I really like how Kate can keep dunking on Clint and see how he's sometimes a mess, even though he's her childhood hero, who inspired her path in life.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Marvel Rising is so much goofy fun. It's simply amazing.
Kamala and Doreen are such energetic nerds, it's weird that they haven't really interacted before, other than the fact that Doreen reads her fan fictions, I guess. Also they both kinda suck at keeping their identities secret. Both of them recently revealed them to someone, just to hear "Yeah, I knew that..."

America and Dante are doing a good job at playing the straight men to that geeky nonsense as well. America is a bit annoyed by everything, while Dante is like a puppy who doesn't understand anything, but enjoys hanging out.

I'm actually excited for that animated TV show, if it will get the characters like that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 1, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

frodnonnag posted:

Why is he blue?

After his death he became a wendigo and has to war human flesh to absorb humanity as his own fades away.

How die you think the X-Men get dedoubled?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Kates facial expressions are so great.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Don't be so sceptical about it. Both have pink hair. Quentin likes kissing people who remind him of himself.

That was the only good part from that recent Jubilee team book.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

X-O posted:

Spoilers for the last page of Asgardians of the Galaxy

https://www.newsarama.com/41660-redacted-returns-in-asgardians-of-the-galaxy-1-spoilers.html

Well that is certainly something unexpected.

I'm not familiar with that exact character. Should this excite me?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Spoiler. I guess there's a reason the title of that article is redacted.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Spoiler. I guess there's a reason the title of that article is redacted.

Weird. I could have sworn I quoted the whole post and only Snipped the name.

Wow that's the worst page snipe I've seen in a while...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

BOY FUCKIN HOWDY FANTASTIC FOUR SURE IS A GREAT COMIC AIN'T IT CHUMS

https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/1038448506132946944

Reed's beard looks gross. Look at that chin!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Meh, Rogue and Gambit was more interesting.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
West Coast Avengers is such a good book so far. Everyone go read it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Sabretooth still trying to be Pepsi to Wolverine's Coca Cola or is he bad again?

(please do not derail with how you like one drink more than the other, nobody fuckin' cares)

You obviously used that analogy just to start that derail.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

site posted:

Kelly just remove Gwen from the team so I can enjoy wca

Do you hate her that much? It does seem weird to be forced to agree with Quire's opinion on movies, though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, I can see that. She isn't really written badly, but just kinda off. For example, it feels weird that she didn't even mention that MODOK kind of has a score to settle with her.

But I do have hope that it will get better. Right now, Gwen is pretty much a weird, sort of crazy mystery to everyone involved. And she might be leaning into that perception. Once they get to know her better, she might open up a bit more and trust herself to be more than a wacky sidekick.
Actually, it would be kind of cool if that was a calculated move. Gwen wants to stick around, so she turns up the craziness a bit, because she thinks that would help her stand out and and be more popular with the general comic book audience.

I'm just writing fan fiction here, since I have no clue what Thompson's plans are, or if she really has any. But I am hopeful that she will pull off something. She managed to make me like Captain Marvel, Medusa and even freaking Dazzler so I do know she can do it. The problem is probably that Hasting's characterization of Gwen was already really good, so most changes in any direction would feel like a step down.

I genuinely did like the scene with Quentin, even though it was kind of a overused trope.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 19, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Nilbop posted:

Is the character different from that god-awful solo series she had?
Basically, her character seems to be stuck at the level of the beginning of her series, when she hadn't had any real development and was a one note character.

So, how far did you read that series? To be honest, the first few issues felt kinda bad, but that series did improve remarkably and by the end I was really sad to see it go, since it became a favorite.
I can't blame you for quitting part way, since I might have done it myself if I hadn't been really bored at one point.

If you did read the whole series and didn't enjoy it by the end, I guess we don't like the same things and that's cool, I guess. :shrug:

EDIT: Oh you're talking about Chavez. Silly me. Yeah, that solo series was kind of terrible.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 19, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Menacing!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Kelly Thompson's writing the next Captain Marvel run. Carmen Carnero on art.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/arts/captain-marvel-new-comic-series.html

Does Kelly Thompson just straight up write everything at Marvel now? She gets to write a series about one of the mayor characters during the time their movie comes out. That's huge!
Remember when Hawkeye was canceled and people speculated that she wont be around anymore?

Seriously, how many concurrent comics are that? This, Mr. & Mrs. X, West Coast Avengers, Jessica Jones, I think there was another upcoming X-men book, the Nancy Drew book. Am I forgetting something here?

I hope the comic will show the best sides of the Boss of Space.

Just gonna quote myself here.

I have no clue what Thompson's plans are, or if she really has any. But I am hopeful that she will pull off something. She managed to make me like Captain Marvel, Medusa and even freaking Dazzler so I do know she can do it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 2, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

^burtle posted:

Jessica Jones needs a new villain besides Purple Man.

Well, there's purple baby daughter now. As everyone knows, the true villain is parenthood.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

^burtle posted:

This is exactly what led me to my post.

Yeah, I figured. And you're certainly right about that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I've read the first issue of superior octopus and I kinda like Otto there. Is superior Spider-man any good? I've heard mixed things about it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Lobok posted:

"You're saying I can't call Sue "Woman" anymore? Can't tell her to get back in the kitchen?!"
"Reed, you disappeared from 2008. Not the Sixties."

It turns out MCU Reed grew up in Mississippi. "Whaddya mean slavery is illegal now?!"

Has there ever been a story about a super genius trailer park white trash? I understand why those two concepts tend to be mutually exclusive, but that duality could be fun before it overstays it's welcome.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 15, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Archyduke posted:

"What if a poor person was smart" is pretty tasteless if taken as a gimmick or "a fun duality" rather than a chance to really examine issues of class and education and ideology and I don't know how many working comics writers I would trust to do it well and not in a tacky way.

Come on now. There's a certain difference between just being poor and growing up in a remote hellhole stuck in the thirties. You're implying that I wouldn't believe poor people could be smart, or that all poor people grow up in such a way.

The duality I was talking about is less about being poor but more about building state of the art technology while having an ideology from a century ago.

I realize now that I made my point really unclear and I'm sorry about it. While it's an insulting term for the poor in general, when I was talking about "trailer park white trash" it wasn't actually about the living situation, but the attitude. Not every person who lives in a trailer is a redneck with a dozen rifles and as many Gadson flags, who thinks the years 2008 to 2016 have to be erased from history. That's not the sort of person I'd consider a high level genius.
My apologies.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 16, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

site posted:

Aw dammit i missed that. They finally totally took Gabby away from Tom. Rip

She'll just have to hang out with Spider-man then.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Nadia is back!
She and her friends are so excited to use killer drones for chemical warfare. The fact that they define the real world chemical makes it kinda weird.

Diet Poison posted:

I'm trying to think of a character that wouldn't be improved by teaming up with Gabby and I'm coming up empty.
Captain Marvel maybe? I don't really hate Danvers, but I just can't think of a way those two would play of each other. Actually, come to think about it, she was in the final future arc of all new Wolverine wasn't she? I honestly forgot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I didn't really care for that book, but the last page of Weapon Hex was a nice surprise too.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The cover for the latest X-Men annihilation looks incredibly dumb. I'm phone posting so I can't show it to you. Could anyone post that, please?
Just imagine how Jean and Cable have to be standing there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
What's up with Cindy Moon?
I'd expect her to be in the front and center of this new Spider-event, but she hasn't shown up yet, right? Did she decide to opt out on this whole creepy Bride thing? Has she ever been mentioned since her series ended?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Rirse posted:

What even happening in Infinity War? It somehow never got a Wikipedia entry yet.

It's kinda convoluted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
X-Men Red was probably the best X-Book I've seen in many years.
Gabby just telefragged Nova!