Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dawgstar posted:

I dropped off America when she had to break up with her girlfriend because America was going to this weird super-school across country, and her girlfriend didn't want to do a long-distance thing but America can teleport. Maybe she can't do it that far? I dunno. Or care, really. It just didn't explain itself well.

America was a terrible book that has nothing redeeming about it. It deserved to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
While sad to hear, I legit thought Ditko was already dead since he was such a recluse. But in that regard, I hope he was happy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Immortal Hulk is one of the best Marvel titles in a while for me. The idea that Bruce Banner's lost a bit of his intelligence is interesting as well

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Keep in mind even if Marvel doesn't sell as many books as DC, all of its books are more expensive, so it makes way more money.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Spencers Spiderman isn't the most awful thing in the world

And Peter and MJ are back together for now

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Illuminating Comics, who does text edits of Marvel properties (currently doing Secret Empire) put out a review of TLofCM, because despite what people think, they really like Carol. Their review was... interesting.

http://illuminatingcomics.tumblr.com/page/2

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

enigmahfc posted:

Not to sound dense, but I do not understand what that guy is pissed about when he says Loeb says there is only 2 genders, then Cloak fans and Dagger fans. Like, the way that is written, it sounds like a joke, that you can only be a Dagger fan or a Cloak fan and nothing in between. But then it says someone was mis-gendered but gave no context. Did he accuse someone of being a Dagger fan when they were really a Cloak fan? Those tweets are loving confusing.

Perhaps Cloak fans are supposed to be Males, Dagger fans females, and he called a Female fan a Cloak fan?

He doesn't have anything to be pissed about.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So Spider-Man continues to not be terrible, but I'm hesitant to let myself enjoy it, or be anything but supremely guarded. I've been burned too many times.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I really do get annoyed at the "Let's take this thing and boil it down to the silliest way we can make it sound" because... well because it's extremely lovely.

The actual complaint is that Spider-Man's got a graphical downgrade compared to the trailers being shown, now if you play any video games and track them to release your response is probably "No poo poo that's every game." And it is, but were still upset and one of the 'pieces of evidence' was that reflections were no longer in the game.

It's... the DmC thing again, where people had a lot of complaints about DmC, but they all latched on to "People are mad that Dante's hair isn't white."

Now, again, this is every game, honestly at this point, if you're shocked that trailers showing off a game looked better than the actual game winds up looking... buddy... I got a bridge to sell you.

There is actually a story here, it's "Stop buying into preview trailers and preordering things." Not "Video Gamers complain about a puddle, LOL!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Man its too bad Marvel Rising has the worst number system ever because its a great book for all ages. I really did want to see Squirrel Girl punch Arcade right in the face. He's such an rear end in a top hat.

I personally am glad they mass murdered a bunch of teenage heroes to 'rehabilitate' Arcade and then put him exclusively in comedy All-Ages books where he's a goof. For the record, it's the first part that annoys me, not the second.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Except Spider-Man, obviously.

Spidey's back with MJ, give it time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait on the main series or RYVs

Main series, Spencer's ASM isn't the worst thing in the world. Or at least he hasn't hosed it up yet.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sure, I'm all for something like this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://www.newsarama.com/41947-vision-s-chelsea-cain-says-she-is-dead-to-marvel-after-speaking-out-about-cancelation.html

When a book gets canceled before it's released, you have two options. The first is you take the blow and move on knowing you'll have other projects. The second is that you attempt to act out in an attempt to rile up support to get the book released.

However, when you attempt the second, you have to consider exactly what you bring to the corporation (Because Marvel is a corporation, a business, owned by an even bigger corporation) that gives you that clout. Because there are only two real results from causing a stink like that. The first is you get what you want, and the second is the company goes "And why do we care about you again?" And just drops your rear end.

Just a reminder that Marvel, DC, any company really, are not your buddy, they are not your friend. They are a money-making endeavor that sees it's employees as producers of content and replaceable.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lobok posted:

If more people speak up and speak out maybe things will change.

That what will change? That they'll decide they don't want to publish books after getting them back? Seriously what is the mistreatment here, they aren't obligated to publish anything she writes, even when they pay her for the stories, every company in the history of EVER has drawers full of stories they paid for, did the art for, intended to release and just didn't for whatever reason. Every writer has a billion folders of stories they've written, and then either abandoned, or just never released, or couldn't get published.

What's the injustice here? That they did the work and it didn't get published? Boo loving hoo, they got paid for their work. That they don't get the extra money from the stories not being published? I feel bad that your story didn't get published but poo poo happens. Would it be more acceptable if instead of telling her "This isn't the direction we're going with the character" they said, "This is complete poo poo and we aren't using it"?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

It reminds of what is going with the Video Game industry in the wake of Telltale going bankrupt. All this poo poo needs to be unionized and the workers shouldn't be treated like cogs who put up with a lot of poo poo going in because its there dream to be a comic book writer or video game developer.

Sorry if I get a little passionate about it, being friends with Scott Benson kind of gets me fired up with labor relations in the video game industry

This isn't anything like the Telltale situation. The Telltale situation is a company mismanaging itself into loving oblivion in an environment that grinds through workers like nothing else. To the point where they eventually went under and screwed all their employees, there was a tonne of things that lead to that situation, not the least of which tremendous financial mismanagement.

This is utterly incomparable to a situation in which a work-for-hire creative team was paid for their work that the company decided not to publish.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, within about five years of Hobgoblin's unmasking (as Ned Leeds, contrary to Stern's own plans), DC ended up having to fudge the big reveal they'd planned for Armageddon 2001 because too many people on the nascent Internet worked out that the Monarch was going to be Captain Atom, didn't they?

They didn't 'end up having to', they chose to. This is a big difference.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Since I asked about Identity Crisis in the DC thread, I considered following up with this question there, but it's probably a better fit for this thread.

I feel like with DC, there are a few comics that cast a very long shadow and were widely emulated but, arguably, not necessarily for the better, and in the company's history since they were published there have been conscious attempts to adopt the thematic and aesthetic features of those books across all or at least a larger part of the line. Watchmen, Killing Joke and Identity Crisis are the three big ones in my mind.

My question is: does Marvel have any big equivalents?

Civil War, Avengers Disassembled as a story arc?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Immortal Hulk is a supremely good book.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

As someone supercritical about Nicky spenc, ASM is fine for now. I'm fully prepared for it to swandive into a fuckhole but it's fine for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Immortal Hulk is really loving good guys, like holy poo poo.