Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm guessing Gwenpool did not get trade saved like Wasp and Iceman. That makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

howe_sam posted:

Gwenpool got more issues than Iceman and Wasp combined. It was a great comic, and I wish Marvel was still publishing it, but you can't say they didn't give it all the chances in the world to succeed.

Yeah, that was more of a hope it had been saved on the back end. Still, I trust Thompson to write her well in WCA and she's one of the few.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In addition to Gwen, I trust Thompson to write everybody in WCA even if I'm super tired of Quire.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I dropped off America when she had to break up with her girlfriend because America was going to this weird super-school across country, and her girlfriend didn't want to do a long-distance thing but America can teleport. Maybe she can't do it that far? I dunno. Or care, really. It just didn't explain itself well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

if it makes you feel any better you can not read it and itll get retconned in 8 months anyways

Maybe he can hang with Strange's ghost Basset Hound.

That actually might be fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

All in the first issue. This feels like a What If.

Just from reading the description, no joke.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nilbop posted:

Champions has sounded it’s entire run like the absolutely most eyerolling collection ion of dated comic tropes and twists anyone could have envisioned.

Champions is... not great? And I read for a while, too. It's got the problem a lot of team books have when all their characters have or had ongoings, so you can't really do much with them. Also I don't think Waid really has the ear for writing teenagers any longer.

People did flip out when Viv's human form wasn't Caucasian. That was fun, though. And I expect why Waid did it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How did All-New Wolverine do, out of curiosity?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's this on Peter's fake sister?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

The whole dumb MJ plane crashing reminds me that the dark secret of the Peter and Mary Jane marriage is that no one knew what the gently caress to do with it until JMS which is why Marvel felt entirely justified in getting rid of it (despite the marriage being not only an integral part of JMS' run but arguably the best part)

I guess people remember it being way more of a thing due to Spider-Girl or whatever but for like the entire 90's/early 2000's it was basically really bad set dressing for other unrelated stories or home of fantastic plots like treating Mary Jane's smoking addiction like she was heavy into crack cocaine.

Don't forget the long-running subplot of her rich stalker, who was killed by another stalker (who also happened to be a cop) that I want to say came out of nowhere. Oh, and she almost cheated on Peter when he had amnesia in London for like three issues.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SilverSupernova posted:

I didn't think teaming up Darkhawk with Death's Head could be topped. Then that page throws Sleepwalker into the mix and I'm 100% convinced that Infinity Countdown is the single best event Marvel has done in decades.

And a new mini from Bowers and Sims (with art from Todd Nauck) featuring said so-and-so got announced.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

1: New writer is great. Feels like it's not going to miss a beat without Tom Taylor. I felt like I was reading a continuation of that book and that's great. So I expect it to still be one of the best books monthly.

2: Man that art was fantastic. Not that familiar with the artist's other work besides that really fun short Elektra mini from a little while back but I hope he's on this book a while.

3: Gabby continues to maybe be the best new character of the decade.

Those pages were delightful and sold me on the book, thank you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

His splash pages and action are really good too.

:golfclap: Well done, that man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'll miss Young Scott. He had chemistry with Ms. Marvel in Champions, but that would probably never happen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mulva posted:

It's more that Cyclops is a moron whose personal life is like a war crime and he's basically never done anything productive, so there's really no loss in killing him. At least the young one is nominally before he turned into a total jackhole, and knows he grows up to be a jackhole, so that at least gives him the chance to make interesting choices. Cyclops is a poisoned well of expectations.

Yeah. Remember how Cyclops cheating on his wife led to a demonic invasion of New York? That's hard to walk past.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

If you wanna go that way with it, then that was actually Mr. Sinister manipulating everything that way, which makes Scott a tragic victim.

Nah. Dude left his wife.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think he just continually rags on them on Twitter cause it makes people mad.

The Gail Simone approach.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So... Gwen is... Ghost-Spider now? That is not a good name. That is the opposite of such a thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

Miles is probably getting a new name and they're getting rid of the dual X-Men. Watch your.. name, Kate!

She can go back to her soul name Hawkingbird.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Early "What If?" could have easily been re-titled "Holy poo poo, Bullet Dodged" instead.

One that always stuck out in my mind was if Punisher accidentally killed Daredevil, which leads to every street level super in Manhattan dying, along with the Kingpin (with a bonus of Aunt May's house being blown up by a rocket launcher).

Another was what if Spider-Man and Black Cat kept dating, which naturally led to Spidey and Silver Sable getting married.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

I’ve told it before but there are several reasons that one single, weird, pretty good book is my favorite single issue of all time. One is that it was one of the first comics I ever bought with money I earned myself off the end rack at a Walgreens down the street. Two is that it was my first of any kind of alternate universe story and basically introduced to me what an alternate universe was. It showed me that you really could do and get away with any kind of story. Three goes back to it being a pretty good issue! Have I read hundreds of better single issues including other What Ifs? For sure. But that one random comic I picked up for the hell of it really made me see comics in a different way. It also fueled a lifelong obsession with alternate universe stories in general. You never know what comic is going to have an effect on you. And yes, I still own that same floppy I bought off the rack to this day. One of the few floppies I own since I went to digital/trade.

Oh, yeah. It was entertaining. For some reason I had a small run of What If from around the time that also featured:

Silver Surfer joining the FF: Reed leaves Sue for Namor. No, not actually. What actually happens is the FF goes to hell, Johnny is burned alive by Mephisto and Surfer remains to torment Mephisto with his pure soul for all eternity.
Wolverine was lord of the vampires: Remember when X-Men fought Dracula? Yeah, he turns the X-Men here, Wolverine kills him and takes over most of the Marvel supers die either by Wolverine killing them, the Punisher using Stephen Strange's magic items, or stuff like the Mindless Ones invading. TPK.
What If the MU lost Atlantis Attacks: You might remember Atlantis Attacks as about Atlanteans summoning Set the primordial snake god. When you actually summon said primordial snake god, things go south very quickly. TPK. Also Set's brood escape into the multiverse but I don't think anything came of it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well. If you insist.

Related to Thompson, got the Rogue & Gambit trade and it's excellent. Really hypes one up for Mr. & Mrs. X.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Im gonna give it a shot, but im gonna set the bar juuuust above floor level

Why so?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Carol books are always hyped but aren't actually that great

Oh, no, that's the truth. I thought you referred to the creative team.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rick posted:

This comic was the moment I had similar to what X-O described. It's funny but nothing characters like The Aquarian will always be sort of important to me because of this issue.

That might have been the most recent time he'd been mentioned in ages, too. Also it left a young Dawgstar wondering if the Scarlet Witch could do stuff like 'turn Wolverine's bones to anti-matter' then why didn't she do it more? Then M-Day came and I never wished for anything else ever again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So somebody put into perspective why these Captain Marvel books maybe keep being not so good - if you're going to establish the character as your top-flight female hero don't keep throwing her back in time or trying to explore her abusive family or have her administer a space station - just let her do that hero stuff. I think there's something to it. (In other news, The Life of Captain Marvel isn't what I wanted.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Metalshark posted:

I agree, they just need to have her do some Unequivocal Good, possibly on Earth and not in space to add more humanity to it. At this point I'm struggling to separate the various attempts to rehab Carol from the stories I'm reading. Plus, The Life Of Captain Marvel is really confusing in terms of the new family retcons plus these spoilers:

She smashes her Dad's gravestone due to her unaddressed feelings (which earlier led to her brutalising two villains she outclassed while the Avengers watched on before she has a panic attack), while letting her brother drive drunk and crash, giving himself significant brain damage before she can rescue him. She's also apparently not addressing her issues during her brother's 9 months recovery, and just grows her hair out while ignoring Tony and the Avengers, whom she is apparently cool with in this, despite just fighting with him in Avengers over CWII.

I know Reed's run changed her family history a bit from Claremont's stuff, particularly her Dad, but I remember thinking it really interesting how she had no memories or connection to this family, whom she had a complex relationship with even with her memories, and how this was explored. In this, she kinda came back, acted strangely, and then the ending plot hook happens, abruptly changing it into more standard superhero fare.

Agreed. And on a minor note actually reading attempts at a New England accent (of the 'pahk the cah in the yahd next to the gahden' variety) also really did not appeal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

So Christopher Priest is writing a Kaine led Spider-Team book called Spider-Force. The new Spider-Gwen book is apparently called Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider.

I am enjoying this return to form with Priest, so I'll read it. And Seanan McGuire writing Gwen is interesting. I know she's a fan and I've liked some of her novels.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

That doesn't tank my interest at all. Spider-Verse was great and brought in a lot of great ideas from many people. So I'm excited to see something in that vein again.

Also for anyone that still cares about Miracleman, apparently all the obstacles have been cleared for really real this time and they are back at work on it.

And there's always the chance it does well and we get something more permanent.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Onmi posted:

Illuminating Comics, who does text edits of Marvel properties (currently doing Secret Empire) put out a review of TLofCM, because despite what people think, they really like Carol. Their review was... interesting.

http://illuminatingcomics.tumblr.com/page/2

It's a bit much, but he does nail the broad strokes of the problem with the issue. Too heavy on soap opera elements it didn't need (as opposed to the ones already there and they could have used, mind). Carol's still not really doing hero stuff. Not paying attention to her past.

I genuinely go back and forth on continuity being a chain and wishing people would pay more attention.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Metalshark posted:

Yeah, that was great. She's basically Wile E. Coyote at the moment (if the Road Runner was the right option/moral choice), but if she was just an overeager doofus who loves her alien cat and friends deeply she could be like a super powered Leslie Knope which would probably do a lot better for her character rehabilitation and connecting with her fanbase.

Your lips, God's ear. Or at least Cebulski's.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I'm writing DoD, I hadn't realized they announced it.

Very exciting! Looking forward to it, and this new model.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

This is a no questions purchase for me.

Yeah. Viv has been the best part of Champions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Well, mostly for Caine.

I meant that it was a writer I liked writing a character I liked.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Jeph Loeb show up at the Iron Fist panel dressed like Mr. Miyagi or something? is he having a mental break down?

He was just cosplaying. Cough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

EDIT: Chris Claremont shoehorned Warwolves into his short-lived Fantastic Four run!

Warwolves, sure, but how about the Technet?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Of course. Of course.

Wow. Issue 6? Earlier than I would have guessed. Was that Claremont's first issue on the book? I know Lobdell wrote the first couple and then got kicked off or left for whatever reason.

Rochallor posted:

It was definitely something of a shock rereading Excalibur last year for the first time since I was a kid. As wonderful as Technet is, they are literally just a group whose powers are catering to as many fetishes as possible.

Joyboy's powers are like a factory for them. He turns Kitty solid (but also super fat) and hits Courtney Ross' sidekick with muscle growth, male-to-female transformation, and then a weird combination of the two.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dunno if I needed a Knowhere origin. It was just impressive something lopped off a Celestial's head and chucked it to the end of space.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Roth posted:

Unstoppable Wasp is an ongoing, the mini-series listing in the solicits was apparently a mistake

https://www.newsarama.com/41233-unstoppable-wasp-is-unstoppable.html

Oh, good. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me that 'trades saved it, let's do... a miniseries!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Kraven isn't wacky. He's a very self-serious aristocrat who jumps around rooftops in flats, animal print tights, and a bifurcated lion's face as a vest over top a bare chest while making murderous threats to a teenager who gets the best of him every time.

It's important that he be treated with the proper respect.

Yeah, but you can have that and also have Kraven's Last Hunt.