Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
When does the next issue of Ultimate Invasion come out? I'm dyin' over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Disco Pope posted:

No idea what G.O.D.S. is, but based off this I'd assume some sort of tie-in to a video game I wouldn't play.

Marvel and Hickman have been hyping it up as Marvel's SANDMAN

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
The only tolerable modern 616 Spider-Man was the whole “Superior Spider-Man” era and apperantly that’s ten years old now. The only other decent run was Brand New Day but that was before Obama got elected. Ultimate Spider-Man is the only consistently good Spider Man comic and hopefully that trend continues when it returns January 2024.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
Ultimate invasion 4 sucked. What the hell did this comic even have to do with the Ultimate Universe? It’s just yet another “Flashpoint” multiverse what if bullshit that have become a dime a dozen.

Hickmans luster seems to have faded out

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Gripweed posted:

When are they going back to New York?

Do we really have to regress?

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
New Cover And Interior Artwork From Jonathan Hickman And Stefano Caselli's 'Ultimate Universe' #1

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/new-cover-artwork-jonathan-hickman-stefano-caselli-ultimate-universe

quote:

"What made the Ultimate Universe originally really interesting was that it was a reflection of the world outside your window, in the moment that you were living in. What does it look like in the world we’re living in now?" Hickman said. "It’s kind of shocking how much the world has changed in that period of time. The idea of what it would be like to see the genesis of Super Heroes in a brand new world is a really fascinating exercise."

Where the gently caress is scarlet witch and quicksilver?

90sgamer fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 30, 2023

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Lobok posted:

Isn't that the regular Marvel universe? The Marvel universe that was already literally outside Marvel's windows in Manhattan that the writers and artists depicted?

For me the appeal of the original Ultimates was that it was a low-stakes, zero-continuity reimagining and jumping on point for the Avengers in a slick art style that felt less like a house comicbook style and more like a big budget action movie.

Have you picked up a 616 comic recently? The quality has been declining especially the spidey books. There’s the occasional good writer like Al Ewing but in general it’s not what it was ten years ago

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Gologle posted:

Hickman, bro, you're going to have to do something phenomenal to get me to care about another Ultimate universe, and right now I'm not feeling anything.

The main thrust of the new ultimate universe beyond The Maker altering the timeline is that there is an oligarchy of ultra rich technocrats, royals, and businessmen that are continuing to consolidate power while the masses suffer. They make deals with each other to have one nation play the adversarial “Rogue state” every generation to keep the population distracted so they aren’t able to focus and stand up to the powerful. At the end of the mini, things are starting to fall apart so this “Illuminati” of sorts decides it’s time to really go for a power grab and just take over and divey up what’s left of America

It’s pretty high concept stuff and just as the original incarnation of the Ultimate Universe was about the post-9/11 world this version is all the extreme class warfare and income inequality that has been exposed post-Covid-19

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Maybe they know what they're doing, but the appeal of the original Ultimate universe to me was that you could jump in at the beginning and get some cool stories about the characters without a bunch of tangled up continuity to worry about. Obviously that changed over time as the line developed its own continuity, and Ultimate Spider-Man definitely nailed the 'back to basics' approach more than the others in general, but this series feels like it's bringing in a lot more baggage from the beginning. Maybe it'll end up being cool, but it's not really what I wanted or expected from an Ultimate reboot.

Me either however it seems like Hickman has a complete story in mind and at the end of the issue the Illuminati explain they only have 24 months before Makers city explodes. Implying that this is a 2 year run on these books and then who knows after that they can reboot again with a clean slate or continue on after Hickman story is done. I’m definitely along for the ride as I loved the original ultimate universe and I generally like hickmans books although he’s starting to become too troupe-y)

Keep in mind I’m also a big fan of Warren Ellis’s Newuniversal, Wild Storm, DC’s Earth One, and the original Ultimate universe so maybe I just prefer manageable self-contained imprints rather than the big twos main continuities where they can’t seem to let a good idea flourish because they have to constantly “shake things up” to keep readers engaged

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Endless Mike posted:

Marvel is putting out a lot of good stuff and also a lot of bad stuff.

I'm sure if I look at what was going on in 2013, I would make the exact same statement about that.

I would say from like 2000 through the whole Marvel NOW era to Secret Wars the ratio of quality titles was a lot higher. Joe Quesada was a powerhouse in attracting talent and making the comics feel fresh.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Joe Fisto posted:

I know he’s been around a long time, has Bryan Hitch’s art always been as dull as it is in Ultimate Invasion? I couldn’t finish the book; it’s just lifeless.

Like others said his high points were the authority and original ultimates run. Before that his art on JLA with Mark Waid was super boring and it seems like he’s regressed back to that. For what it’s worth going forward the ultimate universe is bringing in far richer artists. So hopefully the only time we see hitch art is for covers.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Oddly like... none?!?!

I liked G.O.D.S. a lot. Fun little adventure and I like Wyn a lot. That said, I'm not entirely sure why this is set in the Marvel Universe and not creator owned?

Because as Hickman already explained when he came back to marvel a few years ago. Indies don’t sell marvel pays the bills.

Everyone jumped on the indie train after Kirkman made serious bank with the walking dead tv deal and they ended up just oversaturating the market. Same thing when everyone and their brother tried to get,people to subscribe to sub stack.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
Hickman just confirmed Ultimate Spider-Man will be adult Peter Parker!!!

gently caress finally good spider man

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Endless Mike posted:

Oh cool, it's not like there's any adult Peter Parker comics on the stands now.

Yes but this one is married, didn’t kill Kamala khan, didn’t make deals with devils and is inspired by the Richard b. Parker character from the into the spider-verse films.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
Peach Momoko seems to be off doing her own thing that’s neither here nor there. I wish Mavrel just gave her her own “Elseworlds” x-men book and let someone do a more traditional looking ultimate x-men team. I would have read both.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

X-O posted:

This Spider-Man might not even be Peter Parker. Because Maker prevented Peter from getting bitten by the spider. Peter was was still a young teen at this point. I'm not sure what the total time elapsed during the mini was but I don't think it was decade or more. So even with it being a "Peter B. Parker type of situation" it might not actually be Peter.

Hickman confirmed it’s adult Peter today

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Blockhouse posted:

I don't know what "traditional" ultimate x-men means that comic was such a loving mess

if you mean the original five + wolverine and xavier vs magneto I am so burned out on that I would infinitely rather see something new

I’m referring to the original Mark Millar lineup

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

BrianWilly posted:

I'm certainly not averse to complicated continuity shite but this new line hasn't even begun yet and I already don't understand its continuity

Because you’re reading people’s summaries, interpretations, and theories rather than reading the actual issues. It’s actually a pretty simple premise. Also Hickman has a certain style of world building. It would be like complaining that the latest Neal Stephenson book is too complicated so how can it be good?

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Gripweed posted:

Which suggests that perhaps not an ideal way to launch the new universe. I would think that, at the start at least, you'd want a simple elevator pitch to get people on board with the new universe.

People seem to handle stuff like Batman White Knight and Superman Earth One just fine.

Obviously this is primarily for Hickman fans and ultimate fans but new readers can enjoy it as new takes on classic characters in a different universe.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Open Marriage Night posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ultimate X-Men mostly takes place in Japan. It’ll probably deal with the mutant dominated Japanese and Russian factions from Ultimate Invasion. It’ll be interesting to see something more original than the first Ultimate X-Men, that I always thought was a mess.

Honestly I’m re-reading the original run now and it only became a mess when Kirkman took over the book. It was consistently getting better from Mark Millar to Bendis to Brian K. Vaughn. Some of the art in the middle of Millars run was terrible though (Morrison new x-men had the same problem)

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Gripweed posted:

I don't know about Batman White Knight but Superman Earth One was a pretty simple one sentence pitch. "What if Superman came to earth now, and was a kinda unpleasant guy" This new Ultimate Universe seems to be "there's an alternate Marvel universe where the Maker changed things around because he's playing some kind of long game that will presumably be revealed 7 events from now. Who's the Maker you ask? Well,"

The maker is Ultimate Reed Richards his world got blown away and he’s bee wrongfully imprisoned in the main marvel universe. In ultimate invasion, he breaks out and builds a device to travel the multiverse and starts tampering with a world to reshape it into the ultimate universe with a few of his own modifications. His actions lead to Howard Stark and others rebelling against him and they all got trapped in a time bubble in the makers city that can blow at anytime ending the universe

See not that complicated

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

TwoPair posted:

Would you call it "wrongfully imprisoned" if he is responsible for the deaths of multiple universes?

It’s been awhile since I read secret wars but I thought I thought the incursions were caused by the Beyonders beefing with Dr Doom and Dr Strange? the maker just joined up with the 616 villains to take advantage of the situation

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Thranguy posted:

IIRC The Maker is responsible for the Marvel Zombies, an entirely different multiple universe ending event.

That doesn’t sound right considering he was still normal Reed Richards when the zombies showed up.if I r call he was tricked into opening the gate to release them in mark Millard ultimate fantastic four run

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

site posted:

the maker still did poo poo like nuke washington dc

lol

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
It would have been funnier if he was in his late 30s and an unmarried loser when he gets his powers but I’ll take this too

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
who the hell is this Paul I keep hearing about?

I dont read amazing spider-man because I dont read consistently bad books.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Angry Salami posted:

Paul is Mary Jane's new boyfriend.

He's also the son of a mad scientist from an alternate universe who used a Mayan god to destroy all life in his reality. Paul inadvertently helped him with that.

Paul and MJ had two kids, but it turned out they weren't real.

It's a lot less interesting than it sounds.

That sounds whack

Man we had better comic storylines in the 90s

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
I just want Earth 1610 back

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Yvonmukluk posted:

Cates’ last appearance of the Maker had him back on 1610 proper, didn’t it? I feel like he was actually going to restore the original Ultimate Universe.

Too bad cates had that horrible accident and Hickman decided to go in his own direction :(

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

We Got Us A Bread posted:

He's both caught in Timecube for however long until it opens, and also technically not since I don't remember them retconning the whole "every universe has a Maker, and they're all connected" thing from Secret Wars.

I think Hickman is ignoring that. Doesn’t really make sense anyway since there already is a Reed in every universe

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
https://x.com/spiderman/status/1723068788805865928?s=46&t=-VZSxDkiWhxQSeyPFaKJQw

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
Raimi design for life. That should have been the ultimate goblin suit from DAY ONE and not the version we got because bendis mixed him up with the Incredible Hulk

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Gripweed posted:

The guy is called "The Green Goblin" and they gave him an insanely generic and boring vaguely armored green jumpsuit. There's nothing "Goblin" about it.

If all the green parts were purple then it would just be a boring Prowler redesign

Word is it will become more goblin like as the series goes on.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKuLR5KCiY0

90sgamer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 23, 2023

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Lobok posted:

I see no Carlie Cooper superfans have chimed in yet.

I actually liked that character and thought she was a better fit for peter

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Lobok posted:

I liked her at the beginning. I don't really have strong feelings about her later stories because frankly I don't remember what happened.

I remember they turned her into a goblin or lizard or some poo poo and then I stopped reading 616 spider man

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

X-O posted:

When are we getting Aliens vs Brood?

I need this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
Strong guy looks like a rob liefeld invention