Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't believe they would make a blatant diversity hire like Akira Yoshida instead of someone like C.B. Cebulski!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's only two issues so far but they've been good and I'm looking forward to more. Oddly, the Ant-Man and Wasp series that Waid is also writing is kind of hinging on a similar premise of being stuck in a strange place, but it didn't catch me at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's pretty bad armor, but I assume it's related to whatever that weird secret society she and Miles got drafted into was.

And Cho just looks like Beast Boy now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

You know they replaced Slott with Nick "let's make Captain America a Nazi" Spencer, right?

Can't wait for Nick Spencer to make Spider-Man a goblin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Covok posted:

Last I checked, it's like 39.5% Marvel, 35% DC.

May 2018 was Marvel 38.25% and DC 37.87% for unit share and 42.64% and 25.71% for dollar share. That did include a $10 issue of Amazing Spider-Man as the #1 comic for the month, though. April, Marvel had a higher unit share, but a lower dollar share.

The "Marvel is struggling" rhetoric comes from this being a pretty significant shift from not too long ago when Marvel was consistently selling around double the number of comics as DC (roughly two years into the New 52 era after the shine had worn off). The comics industry as a whole has pretty much remained flat for the past 5-10 years in terms of unit sales, though they've increased dollar sales quite a bit, which suggests Marvel's unit sales are dropping, but they're probably making the same money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pubic works project posted:

It's a 4 issue mini-series tied in with Infinity Countdown or whatever the hell it's called
I haven't read the last issue, so I might be wrong, but it only loosely ties in, and I think even people not reading the main mini could read it without a problem.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's only two lawyers in the Marvel U and one is currently a prosecutor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is weird.
https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/1019196631906955264

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Nah, it's been in the works for almost two years. I think I posted about it in the old thread. First IDW got all those Disney licenses, then the SW kiddie book. Those have been very well received and this is "phase 3" of that plan. Nobody at Marvel proper wants to do all ages stuff and IDW thrives at it.

THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S NOT WEIRD RHYNO

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, that *is* a thing I will be buying right now as I make my weekly digital purchases.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I'm writing DoD, I hadn't realized they announced it.

Congrats! I'll definitely be checking it out!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Android Blues posted:

The Technet actually appeared recently in Rocket Raccoon, I think? Which is amazing because they might as well be called the Chris Claremont's Strange and Funny Paraphilias Squad.

Yeah they were in Rocket Raccoon which was really, really good.

And Warwolves appear now and then in X-Men stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thompson’s Jessica Jones is really good, and putting it out quickly is awesome. She does write Jessica maybe a *bit* too much like she wrote Kate, but that’s a minor complaint. Looking forward to more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess I will buy F4 if people not named Rhyno are enjoying it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At least that one guy who constantly complains about Bendis Superman bothered to give it a shot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

That's like, 9 different goons.

AND THEY AT LEAST GAVE IT A SHOT.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

Eh, I didn't feel too impressed by that first issue, but I'll give it a few issues to get going.

More or less this is how I felt. Even as first issues go, Slott didn’t really seem to be setting much of anything up other than the Richardses having a hard time getting home. We didn’t get to see many interactions between the main team since they’re split up, and I think Zdarsky has the Ben/Johnny friendship a bit better that Slott has shown thus far, though I enjoyed Ben and Alicia. The art was gorgeous, as expected from Pichelli, so that’s as a highlight. I did not like the Doom backup, and Naked Doom is going to take some getting used to. I imagine he’ll put the armor on eventually, though. I’ll check out the next issue, at least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I missed those good ol' days of Wolverine sexually assaulting children!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Did you not see the page of Wolverine grabbing Kitty (who is 13) and spanking her? I don't blame you for not clicking through, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's weird because the War of Realms is a thing that's been *happening* for like five real world years, but since it hasn't really hit Asgard(ia) or Midgard yet, it's only mentioned as a thing here and there and only when it influences events that affect Thor. Like, I feel like Marvel could make a whole second series about what's going on in, like, Svartalfheim (with Aaron at least having veto power on major events to not mess with his story) and I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't tried.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd have to reread it, but I don't think they know Mangog was related, since it's not like he doesn't show up every once in awhile to wreck poo poo. Like, they don't really seem to be actively gearing up for war beyond Thor going off to help out in Niflheim.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is Daughters of the Dragon part of their online-first initiative?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rantmo posted:

Wasn't she, when last we saw her, not even 10? Certainly she wasn't even a teenager, but one way or the other during Secret Wars she was a literal child, right?

She was 4 back in Hickman's F4. With the six month time skip in the middle of Avengers, and the eight year time skip in Secret Wars, we can generously believe her to be 14.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My girlfriend was watching me play it yesterday and complained that his butt was nowhere near big enough for someone who does lots of jumps and squats.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

He probably doesn't eat right.
This...is actually a good reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Infinity Wars is *fine* and so far far from the worst event comic of recent memory, but it's not as good as Annihilation was. The art is a major detriment to it, though. Deodato has really regressed (or, rather, leaned even harder into tracing).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh hell yeah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah he was played by Shaq in his bio-flick.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Onmi posted:

This isn't anything like the Telltale situation. The Telltale situation is a company mismanaging itself into loving oblivion in an environment that grinds through workers like nothing else. To the point where they eventually went under and screwed all their employees, there was a tonne of things that lead to that situation, not the least of which tremendous financial mismanagement.

This is utterly incomparable to a situation in which a work-for-hire creative team was paid for their work that the company decided not to publish.

They are different situations but are both industries that desperately need to unionize, though comics creators would likely have to do it via a guild system like Hollywood professions.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Those are all cool sounding books I will check out. I need some FN Spider-Man in my life since Zdarsky's off Spectactular.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Lol i didn't know Otto brought back the Ben Reilly Spidey suit

They're similar, but not really the same. The spider legs on Ben's suit go up and connect at his shoulders. He also doesn't have the big metal backpack with octopus spider legs that come out of it. The red part of Ben's costume goes lower, too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess we're *finally* getting the War of the Realms. I assume this will be the finale of Aaron's Thor run.

https://twitter.com/jasonaaron/status/1049709658506780672

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jim the Nickel posted:

Hold on, has the war of the realms not been happening for like 4 years now (real world time)?

It's been going on in the background but we've only really seen bits and pieces when it affected Asgard directly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is a hella powerful Guardians team

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Isn't Phyla-Vell dead?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Well drat. No way to undo that.

#askquestions

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I only acknowledge new team covers where they are looking up at a camera and someone is saying "You wanna make something of it?"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is this new news?
There's an all ages Black Panther comic written and drawn by Kyle Baker in IDW's new solicits.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10/17/turtles-ponies-ghostbusters-kyle-baker-black-panther-idw-january-2019-solicitations/

It might be news that it's written and drawn by Kyle Baker, but its existence is definitely not news. I recall the responses being "how embarrassing for Marvel!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't understand a word that guy just said can we get back to talking about White Queen wearing a costume that "only" shows her stomach, cleavage, and upper thighs, but encases the rest in tight black leather?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress off Gatts